Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th August 2020, 18:11   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Lockdown Blues - 3

By the end of 3 months, I had run of ideas to spoil the parked car which was otherwise doing 140+ kms a day. I had finished over 40-50 movies with son and literally we saw the entire MCU twice over, he now knows the entire screen play of **all parts of ** Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ID4, MIB, Harry Potter, I lost memory of what I saw with him.

Idle head is so bad for my poor car that I ended up seeing something about Poly-urethane engine mount bushes for a car. Now that anyways my car was 1.5Lac kms and 2 out of 3 bushes were nearly gone. So I ended up doing this.

DIY-5

Removed the engine mounts by removing the air filter box, battery tray and you need to support both the crankcase and gearbox using two jacks. Then the mounts come off easily.

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-engine-mount.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-engine-mount1.jpg

I was apprehensive about Poly-Urethane and decided to go for Silicone instead. They are a tad bit softer and not hard as a rock like PU.

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-silicone.jpg

Just find all empty spaces in your motor mounts and fill them with silicone (or PU if you want) and let them dry for few days.

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-silicone-diy.jpg

Yes, the engine shake that used to happen due to worn out bushes is gone, but the vibration SUCKS, it is very pronounced and I may just order a set of new mounts after all soon.

The next DIY calls for a seperate thread in itself. I can provide a teaser here...

DIY-6

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-raw-material.jpg

Name:  raw material1.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  68.8 KB

I am yet to recover from this DIY-6, keep watching this space...
svsantosh is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 21:55   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Lockdown Blues - 4

DIY-7

One more weekend to kill and one more 'long pending' work to be done. This was actually supposed to be my mechanics work, but he threw a fit when I asked him that the Turbo intercooler needed a clean, to which he argued that the whole bumper needed to come off. I was absolutely sure that with just 1 T-spanner and 1 screw driver it will come off, he threw me a challenge saying no.

I struck up a bet with him that I wont pay xx.Rs next time if I pull it out cleanly. And so I did. I picked up some toilet cleaning acid from a nearby shop and let the acid do its work removing the oil inside. And BOY, was there quite a bit of oil inside, indicating a impending turbo overhaul soon. After the acid bath, I hosed it down adequately with water and refit it.

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-img_20200808_132913.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-img_20200808_132933.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-img_20200808_133000.jpg
svsantosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 12:52   #78
Senior - BHPian

Default Afterthought, but better late than never

The Intercooler DIY made me think a lot, if the blowby gases are collecting in the IC and eventually going into the inlet manifold and EGR (which was running from KM 0 - 100,000) how bad should the inlet manifold be...??!!

I found a new workshop in my town who took up the job and after 2 days this is the condition and end result of my manifold. The car feels much more lively and spirited and low speed hesitation is gone.

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-img_20200820_110755.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-img_20200820_110812.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-img_20200820_112000.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-cleaning.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-new.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India - 1.42 Lac Kms Done!-new1.jpg
svsantosh is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed