Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 13:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500Km & 7 Yrs

Heartiest Congratulations svsantosh.

Great write up and good eye to details. The car is a spacious hatch and was my first choice till I TD the Punto. My folks were keen to get the car home but I decided otherwise.

Can you please share what bargaining tactics did you use to get the price down by almost a lakh rupees. I could also see a GPS unit in a couple of pics sitting behind the steering wheel, any info??

Happy mile crunching an drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 14:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500Km & 7 Yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
As a Sail'er to another Sail'er. Wishing you a many happy miles on this very underrated but supremely capable car.
Thanks BBlost... your thread helped me a lot while moving from the Beat-D to Sail-UVA. This really is a very understated/rated car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulations for getting yourself a very understated car. My BIL too has the same car with the same colour.
thanks...

Quote:
Regarding the maintenance schedule, it is good to see 15K as the service interval as opposed to 10K for the Swift/Ritz DDiS. Preventive maintenance would be just inspecting things rather than changing parts IIRC?
I really hope so. There are few rattles thanks to local ICE job, and few underbody scrapes that needs to be checked with the car up on a hoist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Great detailed write-up, as a proud happy owner of a Chevy glad to see more people buying one.
Question - how is the NVH level in cabin - I might have missed that in your write-up.
Thanks. Crossed 600ish Kms and slowly getting used to throwing car without any thought over bad roads and rural pathways - I am more than surprised that even the 'acceptable' "THUMP" of the strut in a swift/similar hatch is missing. No hissing noise found on hyundais when the shockers open and closeup. The NVH really is something! (Disclaimer - squeaks thanks to local ICE job is irritating, needs to be addressed in 1st service)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Looking at the first pic, I thought for a moment that you messed up the name. Then reminded myself that bhp'ians don't do such mistakes!
lol thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Congrats on your new possession. As I also own a SAIL U-VA TCDI, we can share our experiences.

Also I am interested to hear more on your comment "had to resort to OBD2 bluetooth port + Andriod App (more on that later)"
You do?! where is your thread? Please share your experiences so far (here, in brief - months, kms, service experience, expenses, etc?)

(See below for OBD2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
Congrats on the purchase, it looks like a very nicely put together package. Please add more interior pictures and also share details on interior space and comfort.
It really is well put together. Thanks... I will add interior pics with the so-called "25" storage places provided. Few a useful - many not quite!

I addition to the 1-liter Maaza Bottle - A 1-liter Tupperware Bottle cannot fit into any of the bottle holders. Its strictly for the cola-pepsi half liter and 1-liter mineral water bottles looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
Congratulations ....Boot space looks huge and I am sure that its more than swift dzire (new version). ...
Thanks! I am somehow convinced the boot is smaller than competition. Last week I had to use the car like a goods-carrier and Only if you put down the 60:40 rear seats, the storage goes up like mad!

PS - to accomodate the rear seats down (thanks to the large rear integrated headrests) the front seats go ahead so much so that my knees hurt - what a silly point to overlook. A 5'10" guy and above Driver CANNOT be comfortable if the rear seat is folded down behind the driver side seat.

A removable rear-headrest is a must for this problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
...The car is a spacious hatch and was my first choice till I TD the Punto. My folks were keen to get the car home but I decided otherwise.
I agree the punto is a far better car than any chevy, but sadly there are no sales points/service points where I live and my #1 buying/deciding point was both should be in same town where I live.

Quote:
Can you please share what bargaining tactics did you use to get the price down by almost a lakh rupees. I could also see a GPS unit in a couple of pics sitting behind the steering wheel, any info?
1) Lol, nothing, these things dont sell! And once you know there is a car sitting in the showroom display for 3-4 months, that too a limited edition one, its easy to bargain it off their hands. As such there was a 15K cash discount for that month, another 15K was arranged thru a exchange bonus (make-do), the last 30K discount was to shove the car out of their showroom display area. (Also remember they already had a customer in me on the beat - I had booked it already, so sort of a loyalty for 2 days helped in upselling).

2) Its not a GPS - its the digital display for the reverse parking sensor, helpful for people who are new to driving, but for me only the beeper is enough. The LCD is silly with too much calculator font information and waves (small to medium to large!).
svsantosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 14:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
2) Its not a GPS - its the digital display for the reverse parking sensor, helpful for people who are new to driving, but for me only the beeper is enough. The LCD is silly with too much calculator font information and waves (small to medium to large!).
Nice tactics.

Need some more infomation on the same. Was it provided by the dealer or you bought it from outside? One more querry - Why did you stick to OEM HU when there are so many choices outside? You could have gone for a LCD display HU.
Old 7th July 2014, 14:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

OBD2 Bluetooth Device

Since the car did not have a half-decent MID, I got a standard Bluetooth OBD2 Device off TBhp Classifieds. Google for it, its a common device. The port if right ahead of drivers left leg (needs some yoga to find it).

The free APP in google-play store (TORQUE) helps in a easy pairing and displaying vital engine statistics.

BUT - I have a problem with the fuel efficiency, hope to find help to resolve it.

BBLost, anyone, using OBD2? Help!

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-port.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-scrshot.png
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 14:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

Re: OBD2 Bluetooth Device

Quote:
BBLost, anyone, using OBD2? Help!
I have an EM327.
After the initial feeling of awe subsided, I have it in my electronic cold storage.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 15:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: OBD2 Bluetooth Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have an EM327.
After the initial feeling of awe subsided, I have it in my electronic cold storage.
Hmm, I left mine in there permanently. (the same EM327) Hoping to resolve the FE read outs somehow!
Old 7th July 2014, 16:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Nice tactics.

Need some more infomation on the same. Was it provided by the dealer or you bought it from outside? One more querry - Why did you stick to OEM HU when there are so many choices outside? You could have gone for a LCD display HU.
It was dealer fit (Reverse Sensor), Nippon (Chevy Genuine Accessory) brand.

HU Story? The car came without a HU. (&Without speakers). I came to know from the sales manager that the previous week a TOP end LT Sail UVA was delivered and that owner went for a expensive touch screen HU and offered the Stock HU for 3.5K. I gladly picked it up because it ticks boxes in my list (looks OE, bluetooth, USB and AuxIn - and CHEAP for 3.5K). Decent quality for my requirements, the Boston components make up for any bad HU quality.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 17:36   #23
BHPian

Congrats Santosh.

I am in the middle of my deliberations of buying anew car myself and was considering the Chevy Beat Diesel. A first look at your article and i was flummoxed that you bought a Beat but then the things unfolded.

Your article has made me re-think my choice. If i can get a deal like yours, I would be more than willing to upgrade to the Sail.

However, could you please suggest, what all discounts did you avail.
Were these discounts for a limited time frame. ie.e 22nd to 29th June only.
Also, how did you negotiate with the dealer for a reduction in OTR price.
How old was the model you picked up.

Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 20:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
You do?! where is your thread? Please share your experiences so far (here, in brief - months, kms, service experience, expenses, etc?)
I have not started a separate thread instead I have updated in the official review thread. The details are as below -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3315343

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3374708

But due to some personal exigencies I could not update the thread afterwards.

Currently my car is running on 15K and recently second service also performed. The car is performing very well after this service.

Expenses:

1. Fuel bills - No one can evade this as long as driving
2. Wheel alignment - Rs.250/- Mandatory
3. Oil Change during the service - Rs.2900/- Mandatory
4. Mileage Check - Rs.310/- A trip to Coorg, and some spirited driving has contributed to a low mileage of 16kmpl on highway. Added to this the Glow Plug indicator was flashing continuously on the dashboard so I wanted to check if there is some issue with turbo/mileage/power and hence this check.

Issues:

1. Glow Plug Indicator is coming up regularly when I cross 110 KMPH speed on hightways. Checked this the SA and he told me to get the car when the indicator is on next time so that he can check if there is any issue with the sensor and if there is a problem it can be replaced in warranty.

Thanks,
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 23:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

In the pictures, the hatch has very good ground clearance; hope the 4-lane to home-lane broken-road is not scraping the chassis?

The Chinese import ELM327 clones are not accurate; at best you can use the engine load+instantaneous FE values to optimize diesel usage. Also, if a proper vehicle profile is not set-up in the homescreen, you will get too low values.

That is why i am apprehensive about your 15 kmpl numbers; the 4 lane roads should give you 18-19+ easily(taking the rough road usage also into calculation).
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 14:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful review! Very nicely written. The SAIL-UVA is a very nice car and pretty spacious too. The only nit pick I have with it, is that the front overhang is too much whereas there is next to none rear overhang! But apart from that, practically speaking it is a good car. Did you consider the red colour while buying? Somehow I like it very much. Enjoy your new car and keep posting the updates!
Old 9th July 2014, 14:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
car is running on 15K and recently second service also performed.......

4. Mileage Check - Rs.310/- A trip to Coorg, and some spirited driving has contributed to a low mileage of 16kmpl on highway

1. Glow Plug Indicator is coming up regularly when I cross 110 KMPH speed on hightways....
Nice to hear your 1st service experience. What was done for '310'Rs? Is it a scientific check/test done at the C.A.S.S.

Glow plug is worrying Please let me/us know here what was the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
In the pictures, the hatch has very good ground clearance; hope the 4-lane to home-lane broken-road is not scraping the chassis?
Its a mixed bag - the car hasnt bottomed out on potholed roads till now (let me try to take a pic of where I drive at times). BUT - the Break-over-angle is pathetic! Must be due the longer wheel base. I have scraped the under chassis multiple times over steep ingress of apartment basements where other cars dont have a issue !!!

Quote:
The Chinese import ELM327 clones are not accurate; at best you can use the engine load+instantaneous FE values to optimize diesel usage. Also, if a proper vehicle profile is not set-up in the homescreen, you will get too low values.
1) How to work with load values?

2) I have setup the weight and CC correctly, any other parameter to setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
...front overhang is too much whereas there is next to none rear overhang!

Did you consider the red colour while buying?
Right, 1 hour after delivery scratched the entire length of the front bumper trying to get into apartment basement parking! Thankfully its nothing you can see unless you lie down under the car.

I didnt have a color choice-sigh! Red looks nice, I saw a Red Sail UVA driving past me last week, my heart sank! All I could do was flash my lights at the car as a hello!
Old 9th July 2014, 16:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
What was done for '310'Rs? Is it a scientific check/test done at the C.A.S.S.
1. For turbo testing, the SA has connected the laptop to the OBD and has checked for error codes.

2. For Mileage testing, he has connected the mileage testing box by bypassing the oil passage to the engine from this box. He has poured 2 liters of diesel in the testing box and drove on the road from Electronics City to Attibelle and return. As this is not part of scheduled maintenance, they have charged me.

Quote:
Glow plug is worrying Please let me/us know here what was the fix.
Till now we could not find the resolution for this issue. What I was been told by the SA is,

1. this is not harmful and
2. this glow plug indicator pops up when there is choked air intake or issue with rubber hoses

The result of this would be, your car will under perform and mileage will be low sometimes.

Once while I was driving from Chennai to Bangalore took the car to Chevrolet service station and Vellore and the gentlemen over there have connected the laptop and have reset the error code and asked me to show it in Bangalore.

In Bangalore, the Kropex team has checked the Turbo and found everything is normal. They have cleaned the Air Filter and gave back the car saying everything was fine.

But even after that this glow plug indicator started coming while I was going to my native in Andhra. As I was told this is not a major concern and we can continue driving, I have not bothered much about this and has done around 2500 KMs trip with this indicator on.

Surprisingly, one day this indicator stopped automatically while I was driving in rain.

[/quote]

Quote:

Its a mixed bag - the car hasnt bottomed out on potholed roads till now (let me try to take a pic of where I drive at times). BUT - the Break-over-angle is pathetic! Must be due the longer wheel base. I have scraped the under chassis multiple times over steep ingress of apartment basements where other cars dont have a issue !!!
Yes, you are very much true. I also have one instance where my car hit the road while getting on to a ramp. I found that I was going fast and that is the reason it hit. From next time on-wards, I started driving slowly at that place.
Old 9th July 2014, 16:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have scraped the under chassis multiple times over steep ingress of apartment basements where other cars dont have a issue !!!
1) How to work with load values?

2) I have setup the weight and CC correctly, any other parameter to setup?
So taking it at an angle is the only way out/in of the basement.

Engine load reading from torque: Beyond a percent(~60-65%) it is more diesel injected but no performance will be felt; this equates to lugging; downshifting is suggested.

Say at a steep climb, 1600 rpm @ 5th gear drops the instantaneous kmpl of 15-16, downshifting to 4th at 2000 will see the same climbing to 20-21 kmpl.

Weight, fuel, cc that's it i guess. I have tried both torque and fun2drive(from bosch) and both reports inaccurate readings only.
Old 10th July 2014, 15:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...He has poured 2 liters of diesel in the testing box and drove on the road from Electronics City to Attibelle and return....
thank god he didnt hold a bottle above the car like a IV fluid bottle and do a bike-type mileage testing!!

Quote:
Surprisingly, one day this indicator stopped automatically while I was driving in rain
Hmm, sounds like a loose connection wire to me. Glad it went out.

PS- Do you drive inside electronic city, I saw a similar Grey SailUVA today with fog lamps on at 1PM near wipro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
So taking it at an angle is the only way out/in of the basement
Yes, found a sweet spot/angle and been successful till now.

Quote:
...I have tried both torque and fun2drive(from bosch) and both reports inaccurate readings only.
Hmm I will try fun2drive and update findings.

Most Viewed