Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 07:23   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Edit - And it's time to change your avatar
Avatar updated, but the end result was not what I initially had in mind when I started working.

Did a collage like earlier with the Xcent included, but then - I thought - why not have some action - ended up with this! Thanks for putting the idea of a change in my head.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd August 2014 at 07:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thank you. Hope you have test driven the competition as well.

Have you tried contacting all the dealers in your region? For example - Only one of the dealers in Bangalore had the automatic available for test drive.

Actually we are in market for a hatchback and it will be our first car ever. We did TD of brio but family for some reason did not like it (more due to looks and interiors). We then wanted to check out the Xcent. It is going to be 4 adults + 1 infant using the car. We just started with the TD so have checked only one dealership closest to my home. Next time I will call up various dealers in my city and see if any of them have the Xcent automatic for TD. As it is I don't plan to book anything unless we all are fully convinced and also it is monsoon time so we shall wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 6th August 2014, 21:34   #48
BHPian

Re: True Keyless Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on your new car and thanks for the excellent balanced report!
The Xcent is seriously testing my love for my i10 ! I am SO tempted to trade mine with the new one!
I'll admit I'm pretty tempted to trade up too... Xcent sounds just perfect for the upgrade from my 5+ years/~70K Kms old i10... The problem is the lack of decent automatic alternatives in the sub 10L range, and this makes so much sense.

Did the mistake of a TD on the Celerio, mostly because of the FE factor. The overall experience after my i10 made it an absolute NO!
Old 6th August 2014, 23:08   #49
BHPian

re: Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!

Quote:
...however age does seem to be catching up with me. It is just so convenient, and the newer generations dual clutch boxes are faster too! May be, just may be, my next car will be an automatic if there are good diesel automatics around then.
I'm looking forward to a diesel automatic too. I fell in love with automatics the moment I drove my in-laws' new Mini Countryman last month (after driving I hated breaking it to them that I did not like their car but I liked the concept of automatics!). In fact in the Hyundai showroom when I went to buy my Xcent, I was salivating at the Xcent auto on display inside the showroom. Can't imagine the fun long drives would be with just steering, accelator and brake. But for the moment, the only way I can enjoy automatics is by making my wife drive!
Old 9th August 2014, 08:10   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
I'm looking forward to a diesel automatic too. I fell in love with automatics the moment I drove my in-laws' new Mini Countryman last month (after driving I hated breaking it to them that I did not like their car but I liked the concept of automatics!). In fact in the Hyundai showroom when I went to buy my Xcent, I was salivating at the Xcent auto on display inside the showroom. Can't imagine the fun long drives would be with just steering, accelator and brake. But for the moment, the only way I can enjoy automatics is by making my wife drive!
Never thought TATA Motors would end up being the first company to take this bold step towards the introduction of diesel automatics in the country. Hopefully, it will end up becoming a popular variant tempting other manufacturers to follow suit as well.

Old 12th August 2014, 03:53   #51
Team-BHP Support

At one point of time when the delivery of the Xcent was getting postponed indefinitely- I asked the showroom guys to cancel the booking of Xcent, and to pre-book the new i20.

Thanks I didn't go down that road since the new i20 has been launched without an automatic variant. God knows when the automatic will come now!

Old 20th August 2014, 22:15   #52
cnu
BHPian

CD, Very well written review. Congrats and thanks for posting. Xcent looks very good in white.

Budget apart, I have been contemplating between Xcent SX(O) Auto and City CVT (SV). Somehow I don't feel that City is value for the money. Though we get the so called Honda durability and lesser maintenance costs compared to Hyundai, Xcent is a complete package and bang for your buck. On the other hand, I have my own doubts about the durability of Hyundai automatics. Why are they not offering extended warranty on the automatics ? The other aspect is the FE. Has it been improved in the Xcent (with the ECO mode) compared to their older automatics ?
Old 31st August 2014, 21:53   #53
Team-BHP Support

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
CD, Very well written review. Congrats and thanks for posting. Xcent looks very good in white.

Budget apart, I have been contemplating between Xcent SX(O) Auto and City CVT (SV). Somehow I don't feel that City is value for the money. Though we get the so called Honda durability and lesser maintenance costs compared to Hyundai, Xcent is a complete package and bang for your buck. On the other hand, I have my own doubts about the durability of Hyundai automatics. Why are they not offering extended warranty on the automatics ? The other aspect is the FE. Has it been improved in the Xcent (with the ECO mode) compared to their older automatics ?

Sorry for the delayed reply- somehow missed my thread while checking a thousand other threads.

Extended warranty was offered on the automatic Grand i10 sometime after launch. I am hoping the same will be applicable to the Xcent as well. Regarding durability- the box has been used on many other Hyundai cars for long now- and not many issues reported online. It's a dated box, but tried and tested. The technology is also rather simple compared to the CVT boxes which need proper and regular maintenance as per schedule.

There is another Xcent SX(o) ownership thread on the forum, and he has reported near 12 mileage as well. Hopefully, FE issues are resolved now. Will provide more updates as it comes.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st August 2014 at 21:57.
Old 1st September 2014, 18:24   #54
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Extended warranty was offered on the automatic Grand i10 sometime after launch.
Sadly, I don't see extended warranty being offered on Grand i10 AT as well. The SA was saying that it will be available sooner but I am sure he is just bluffing. Surprisingly, extended warranty is being offered on Verna AT petrol version but not on the diesel.

I booked my ride yesterday and today I came to know that Hyundai has increased the prices across its entire range. The on-road price of SX(O) AT has gone up marginally by about 7.5K in BLR.
Old 1st September 2014, 19:02   #55
Team-BHP Support

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Sadly, I don't see extended warranty being offered on Grand i10 AT as well. The SA was saying that it will be available sooner but I am sure he is just bluffing. Surprisingly, extended warranty is being offered on Verna AT petrol version but not on the diesel.

I booked my ride yesterday and today I came to know that Hyundai has increased the prices across its entire range. The on-road price of SX(O) AT has gone up marginally by about 7.5K in BLR.

Yes, quite surprising from Hyundai. Some of their behaviour doesn't seem to have valid reasons.

What is the increase in price?

Also- you might want to have a look at these. Couldn't PM you since my message box is full currently.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ct-review.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st September 2014 at 19:04.
Old 1st September 2014, 22:15   #56
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
What is the increase in price?
About 7500 INR on the BLR on-road price. Thanks for the link.
Old 7th September 2014, 23:57   #57
Team-BHP Support

Drove the Xcent after almost two months today, and differences w.r.t my Punto becomes even more evident!

+ The noise insulation in Xcent is truly segment best! The petrol engine has become even more silent after the first service and its difficult to even hear it unless revved. I even thought it got switched off once I put it in P mode, till i checked the tachometer!

+ Quality again is a big plus for Hyundai. Switches and knobs all feel very premium to the touch and the blue lighting at night adds to the feel good factor. Dont feel compromised.

+ Boot space is a big plus for such a compact sedan! Swallowed our airport luggage with ease, and there was room left for a lot more. And the rear seat legroom is miles ahead of the Punto.

+ Gizmos like reversing camera + sensors make life very easy.

- Wiper blades feel rather cheap and reminds me of the ones from the WagonR. Punto has spoiled me with very premium feeling twin blades.
Old 14th September 2014, 00:48   #58
Team-BHP Support

Xcent v/s DZire.

An oppurtunity presented itself when a relative came to visit us in his 35k kms run Swift VDi.

Although comparing a diesel against a petrol doesn't make any sense, comparing a mid-version with the top end version of its competitor doesn't make any sense- its also relevant that the DZire offers an automatic variant only in this trim.

Went ahead and clicked a few comparison pics -

1. Exteriors (front end) -

Xcent - The toned down fluidic styling adds an European touch to the car. Wont offend anyone. There is little to distinguish the Xcent from the Grand i10 save for the thin chrome strip on the front mustache.

DZire - Old design still looks very pleasing to the eyes. I prefer the Swift to the DZire when it comes to the front bumper design and also the grill - which looks rather awkward on the DZire. More width and height lends it better road presence than the Xcent.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_144554.jpg

2. Exteriors (Rear) -

Swift - The tables have turned here, and the Swift looks better when viewed from the back. The design masks the bulk of the car rather effectively. The V variants (And even the top end Z variants for that matter) lack goodies like reversing camera and parking sensors - hence after-market accessories like the ones on the above car are pretty common.

Xcent - Has the better road presence thanks to a bulkier boot which feels much better integrated than that of the DZire. Hyundai has toned down their styling elements significantly - evident from the minimalist design with much less chrome than that on the Swift.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_144454.jpg

3. Interior - Rear Legroom

Xcent - Very spacious interior for four people. Picture shows the legroom for a 5'11" person with the front seat adjusted to his comfort. Not only the legroom, the ease of entry / exit gets better as well thanks to the B pillar being located further apart.

DZire - Comfortable rear bench although legroom is just about adequate for someone my height. The car is wider than the Xcent, but the same is not reflected in the interiors. Width is about the same as Xcent - a four seater.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_172013.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_143141.jpg

DZire is wider than the Xcent, but the same is not reflected in the interiors. Width is about the same as Xcent - a four seater. Also - another point to note - Xcent offers more space than the DZire even with a rear a/c tower in place.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_172159.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_143226.jpg

4. Boot space.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_172324.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_143513.jpg

We can safely conclude that the Korean has better space management than the Jap after seeing the above rear seat comparison pics, but incase you are not convinced - the boot capacity will reassure the Korean supporter. Its a significant difference between the two cars in terms of size and useability. If thats not all - the Korean even comes with features like remote boot release etc to make the package sweeter.

What makes matters even worse for the Dzire is the ultra thin sheet metal used on the boot. The Korean fares better, even though it is not in the league of the Europeans.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_143738.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_172538.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 01:24   #59
Team-BHP Support

Xcent v/s DZire - Part 2.

5. Key -

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_160746.jpg

6. Steering wheel -

Z variants of the DZire gets steering mounted controls for audio, while bluetooth is not present.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_172846.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_144021.jpg

7. Centre console -

Z variants of the DZire gets a better looking music system along with automatic climate control. However, the light beige interiors are a pain to maintain, as is only too evident from the pic -

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_172933.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_144052.jpg

8. Convenience -

I have heard many people mention that reverse camera and sensors can be done after-market easily - but see the side-effects of the additional weight on the mount, while the Hyundai has the factory fitted on the ECM.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_173317.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_145919.jpg

9. Rear seat armrest -

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_172729.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_143929.jpg

10. Instrument console -

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_144217.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_173126.jpg

11. Quality -

The interiors of the DZire do feel pretty good (Specially when the Honda Amaze comes into the picture). Although we picture Maruti with poor quality, things have improved for sure. Check this shot of the doorpad for example, which feels better than the ones on the Xcent -

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20140913_144301.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th September 2014 at 01:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 23:29   #60
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fuel Efficiency -

Quote:
Now that the figures are done with, let me also explain how the gearbox tries to acheive a better mileage - the ECO mode.

This mode is not present in the Xcent manual transmission models, and i haven't noticed it in other Grand i10 AT ownership reviews. Hopefully, one of the Grand i10 AT owners can confirm if the mode is present in their cars -

ECO mode can be turned on and off using the MID and steering mounted controls, and when turned on - it tries to save fuel by upshifting early. I did not find the car being bogged down for power when the mode is ON, and the early torque from the conventional torque converter also helps.

From the initial feel - i guess the mode is purely judging the accelerator inputs from the driver, anything more than half throttle will cause the ECU to switch off the ECO mode. I did find the car holding revs higher once the mode is off. Is this the answer from Hyundai for all the fuel efficiency concerns that i10, Grand i10 and i20 owners have been cribbing about?

Only time can tell. For now - i hope it works!
Well - turns out that my imagination was running too wild, may be I'm watching too many sci-fi movies!

The ECO mode is only an indicator of FE oriented driving practices. It glows when you are gentle on the throttle. It is switched off when the pedal is floored.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-img_1053.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks