Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 10:07   #76
Team-BHP Support

6 years & 25,000 kms.

We are nearing six years of ownership and it has been a mixed experience. While the car still remains a perfect product for our usage, the reliability has not been up to standards - especially considering that this car has done only close to 25,000 kms in all these years.

Delicate is one word that comes to mind! In fact, my wife was so attracted to Kia Sonet as the next purchase - but that is not going to happen now - after what happened with the Xcent recently during the lockdown. But before going there, a general note on the maintenance and niggles.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200105_091314b_1600.jpg

A couple of pictures from a family trip to Rameshwaram/Dhanushkodi in Jan:

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200104_124523.jpg

Service experience and general maintenance

All services were done in Trivandrum, and the experience at the centres have been satisfactory so far. Car is expensive considering the mileage done, but parents went ahead with yearly service instead of kilometers covered, so not too bad either. A regular service without any extra issues or painting work to be attended costs around 6-7k per year.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-screenshot-20200415-5.59.33-pm.png

Name:  Xcent_service_costs.png
Views: 1964
Size:  14.9 KB

What I like (updated):
• Design. I still like the no-nonsense looks for this segment and prefer it any day over the facelift or the new Aura.
• Proved an excellent all-rounder. Refined, easy to drive, very spacious cabin and a large boot, etc.

• Interior fit, finish & quality. No rattles and squeaks till date and all the materials still look fresh, except the seat fabric.
• Extremely smooth and refined engine and gearbox combination under sedate driving conditions. Not bad on the highways (up to 100-120 kmph) either - if manual mode is used to hold on to 4th gear while cruising.

• Loaded with features and nothing additional was required. Still feels loaded except for a modern touchscreen audio system.
• Good ride and handling balance in the city.

• Interior packaging - For a sub-4m segment car, the amount of space at the rear and the boot is amazing IMHO.
• FE has been around 12kmpl a couple of times we checked.

What I don't (updated):

• Hyundai later had a dismal show at Global NCAP safety tests.
• Not so minor issues and a breakdown. Not expected of a Hyundai with such low usage.

• Practical, but not fun!
• Front suspension crashes into larger potholes at highway speed with a loud thud! Soft rear bounces around at expressway speeds.

• Still miss the auto-locking doors and no FE calculation on the MID on an otherwise well-loaded car!
• Interior colour scheme should have been either beige/ black. Brown neither looked good nor aged well. Looks dirty despite the effort and needs a switch to leather seats soon.

Issue #1: Repeated ABS sensor failures

Hyundai has a poor track record with the ABS sensor and this, especially with the Creta, has been well documented on the forum. I've had a malfunctioning ABS issue to be reported both in 2018 and 2019 general service, and the warning lamp is back on again!

Issue #2: Breakdown, literally!

And this is happening now - from the past two weeks of the lockdown. Why did we need this car during the lockdown? Because parents need it for their hospital visits which can't be avoided.

And just when it was needed the most last week and they were about to start for the hospital - this happened:

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-whatsapp-image-20200415-21.10.20.jpeg

Father had just moved the car an inch out of the garage when a clunk sound was heard and all of these were found on the floor.

Understandable if it was the belt - but the connecting nut seems to have had a material failure and broken into half (with the other half stuck inside the engine casing). Kerala allowed workshops to open on two days of the week and the Hyundai emergency assistance was able to come and check this week, but there is nothing much to be done till the lockdown is lifted.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th April 2020 at 10:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 13:00   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: 6 years & 25,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Issue #2: Breakdown
Car is still in the same state , thanks to the lockdown and non-availability of parts that were to be sourced from Chennai.

Hopefully things will change soon with the recent relaxations - the SA came and collected Rs 500/- token advance towards procurement of required parts.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 20:40   #78
Team-BHP Support

Re: 6 years & 25,000 kms.

Quote:
especially considering that this car has done only close to 25,000 kms in all these years.
The car was finally picked up by the authorized service center today, and before completing its 25k milestone - got a 25k rough estimate for the repairs instead.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-xcent.jpeg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 21:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

re: Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!

That is steep. What are the parts that need changing ?

I have the same model in black and it is about to turn 5 years old. ODO is nearing 24K kms. I had one ABS sensor failure till now. Except that it has been fairly reliable.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 26th May 2020 at 05:12. Reason: Corrected typo - > nearing
Old 4th June 2020, 11:33   #80
Team-BHP Support

re: Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!

Final bill amount came to INR 18,672/-

The service center could not really explain how the issue occurred in the first place. The odometer reading is less than 25k kms, used only within the city by parents, can't really abuse or lug the engine because it is an automatic transmission, the belt didn't snap, and the car is only 6 years old.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-screenshot-20200604-11.23.00-am.png

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-screenshot-20200604-11.25.07-am.png

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-screenshot-20200604-11.10.04-am.png

Btw - 2.63 INR per km for the Xcent petrol v/s 1.43 INR per km on my diesel Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
That is steep. What are the parts that need changing ?

I have the same model in black and it is about to turn 5 years old. ODO is nearing 24K kms. I had one ABS sensor failure till now. Except that it has been fairly reliable.
Looks to me like a case of material failure at crankshaft bolt. No better explanation could be provided by the SA.

361.35/- INR for the actual part needed. 18.3k as a side effect of having to open the engine to get the other piece of the bolt stuck inside.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 11:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks to me like a case of material failure at crankshaft bolt. No better explanation could be provided by the SA.

361.35/- INR for the actual part needed. 18.3k as a side effect of having to open the engine to get the other piece of the bolt stuck inside.

I had same (or similar) breakdown with my Xcent petrol around 3 years ago.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...apped-off.html (Charging system warning light & leakage? EDIT: Alternator belt snapped off)

I sold my Xcent a couple of months after the breakdown, primarily because it was a leased car and my lease ended, and because of exorbitant service costs (around 10k for each paid service).
DCEite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 12:00   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I had same (or similar) breakdown with my Xcent petrol around 3 years ago.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...apped-off.html (Charging system warning light & leakage? EDIT: Alternator belt snapped off)

I sold my Xcent a couple of months after the breakdown, primarily because it was a leased car and my lease ended, and because of exorbitant service costs (around 10k for each paid service).
I remember reading your thread earlier, but somehow when I tried to recollect its last day - I saw the thread title and assumed it to be a belt issue.

I see two other examples also mentioned in your thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...undai-i20.html (Pulley falls out of my Hyundai i20!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...dai-i20-2.html (Pulley falls out of my Hyundai i20!)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th June 2020 at 12:07.
Old 4th June 2020, 12:14   #83
BHPian

The labour charges are exorbitant.
In particular, what's the "Outside job - lathe machine" referring to?
If it was done by an outside garage, did they provide a bill from that workshop?
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 13:12   #84
BHPian

What gear oil costs 562 for an AT car? and what is "R&R". Astonishing costs for a car done only 25k.
Old 4th June 2020, 13:37   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The labour charges are exorbitant.
In particular, what's the "Outside job - lathe machine" referring to?
If it was done by an outside garage, did they provide a bill from that workshop?
Half of the crankshaft bolt was stuck inside, and apparently jammed. This had to be fixed in the lathe.

Can only be taken at face value because I'm stuck in Bangalore, and parents couldn't go and verify the work being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
What gear oil costs 562 for an AT car? and what is "R&R". Astonishing costs for a car done only 25k.
Thanks for pointing it out. Had missed that. Seems to be billed for manual transmission oil. Manual transmission needs 1.9 L - 2.0 L at 324 per litre, whereas it seems the automatic needs 6.1 L at 2793/litre. If oil change was really done - no way they would have missed billing it.

The initial estimate was for 25k! Also, R&R is usually remove and replace. A generic term used for labour component.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th June 2020 at 13:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:09   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Half of the crankshaft bolt was stuck inside, and apparently jammed. This had to be fixed in the lathe.

Can only be taken at face value because I'm stuck in Bangalore, and parents couldn't go and verify the work being done.
Well the problem is that they have charged GST on this outside labor charge.

If the local lathe shop added GST and provided a bill to Hyundai, this is wrong as you are being charged tax twice.
If the local lathe shop didn't add GST (cash only) this is still wrong as Hyundai is asking you to pay GST on a service they didn't provide?

I think you have the right to ask for a bill for the outside lathe shop work as they've listed it so clearly
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:28   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Ouch. I almost had a similar experience - the belt snapped. Our Grand i10 is purely a city runner with just 15k kms (when the incident happened) in 3 years.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...continues.html (Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues)

So looks like I need to be careful and be vigilant now .
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 10:46   #88
Team-BHP Support

Cleaned the engine bay of the Xcent for the first time, a partial job with only cleaning solution and a couple of brushes.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200702_101755.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200702_101745.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200702_102638.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200702_161457.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200702_161208.jpg

Quote:
Looks to me like a case of material failure at crankshaft bolt.
Closer look at the bolt -

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200718_085534.jpg

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20200718_085546.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 22:46   #89
Team-BHP Support

After ~7.5 years of ownership, the car finally crossed 30,000 kms yesterday.

Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!-20211206_081144.jpg

Will be giving the car for a paid service this week, with the following 'typically-Hyundai' issues to be sorted -

1. A/c cooling has become pathetic.
2. ABS sensor needs replacement. Warning lamp is ON.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 22:00   #90
BHPian

Quote:
ABS sensor needs replacement. Warning lamp is ON.
Did they tell you to replace the sensor? My xcent is 7 years old and i too was getting the indicator when it was around 3 years old but i didnt had to replace the sensor. They replaced an electric part.
AC will always remain an issue. Since mine is anyway not under warranty i had done it from a local person. He did a good job though. My odo is 85000. Other then AC and now suspension, its been such a comfortable car and an issueless companion over the years
motorlover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed