Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:40   #31
BANNED

re: My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Is it the mud flaps scrapping or body or bumper?
Why I ask is because in my Rapid, the mud flaps used to scrape and I thought it was the body scrapping. Got the mud flaps removed..Voila! No scrapping at all. 168 mm GC is adequate.
i just checked, it doesn't seem to be the mud flaps, hence should be the body scrapping, the area between the front and the rear wheels. The 2014 suspensions are better than its previous gen ones, most of the times i felt the thud could have been avoided.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:17   #32
BHPian

re: My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission

Hi Santhosh,

Congratulations. Wish you many a miles with Verna SX. I too had it in my list and the Show room is very close to my House. But the Rear Seat under thigh support and rear leg room were of importance to me and so I went for City.

All the very best. Keep revving.....
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Gear Shifts: Be light on pedal for smoother and seamless shifts and floor the pedal for sporty and noticeable shifts which comes with 1 second time lag. During light pedal, it starts with first gear, shifts to 2nd at 20 kmph, 3rd at 40 kmph and 4th at 70 kmph and this is the reason why FE drops by 2 kms. During my regular city driving, the average speed for at least 50% of the distance is between 0 to 40 kmph and mostly run by 1st and 2nd gears. At 100 kmph the RPM is about 2000 rpm. The tiptronic (+/-) is not completely manual as well, it auto down shifts if the speed is below the gear limit and auto up shifts if you throttle till the RPM hits the Red zone. I don't prefer and tend to play much with the gear box, hence i put it on "D" during driving, "N" at RED signals and even during parking and "R" during reversing.
After running in a bit more the gears will start up shifting early when you ease of the accelerator. Third to 4th will remain at 70 kph when you have a light foot on the accelerator, but if you ease of at about 60 it will up shift and stay in 4th and RPM will be just 1200 or so.

A friend whose car I once tried out was surprised to see the up shift occur at 60 instead of the usual 70 when he drives.

Rahul
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:14   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
After running in a bit more the gears will start up shifting early when you ease of the accelerator. Third to 4th will remain at 70 kph when you have a light foot on the accelerator, but if you ease of at about 60 it will up shift and stay in 4th and RPM will be just 1200 or so.

A friend whose car I once tried out was surprised to see the up shift occur at 60 instead of the usual 70 when he drives.

Rahul
Heard about this before. Can you throw more details please? even the 1st and 2nd gear ratios can be small and how do you think the shift box understands that? In 70% of city driving Verna AT shifts between 1st and 2nd leading to less FE and more wear and tear, How do we improve this?
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Find the down shift speed for lower gears too. ie if normal up shift from 3rd to 4th is at 70 and down shift from 4th to third is when speed falls below 60, then the speed between 60 and 70 will depend on your trigger.
Drive with a very light foot on the throttle, till you accelerate to just above 60, and ease of still further till engine is at just above idle RPM and power is almost not applied, and then lightly press till RPM is just 1200 or so, and you will have triggered an up shift and you can cruse on at 60 in top.
Once you get a knack of this then you can try the same with lower gears too where the difference between up shift and downshift speed will be even lesser.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 11:27   #36
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Verna!
The Verna is one of the most sleek cars available.

Having driven automatic cars in the US for a very long time, I can advise that there is absolutely no need to change from 'D' position to 'N' at traffic lights. The drive mode takes care of all such matters. Simply keep your foot on the brake pedal or engage the parking brake if the stop is long. For parking do not leave it in a gear. The position 'P' or Park is meant to be used for parking.

Wishing you years of happy motoring in your Verna.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:23   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Congratulations on your new Verna!
The Verna is one of the most sleek cars available.

Having driven automatic cars in the US for a very long time, I can advise that there is absolutely no need to change from 'D' position to 'N' at traffic lights. The drive mode takes care of all such matters. Simply keep your foot on the brake pedal or engage the parking brake if the stop is long. For parking do not leave it in a gear. The position 'P' or Park is meant to be used for parking.

Wishing you years of happy motoring in your Verna.
Thanks Lobogris.

I am still not sure if D mode can take care of it completely. Hyundai recommended me to move to N at traffic lights which lets you halt for more than 15 seconds. Its still a tricky call to make as they advise to keep the shifts minimal on auto gearboxes.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Lobogris.

I am still not sure if D mode can take care of it completely. Hyundai recommended me to move to N at traffic lights which lets you halt for more than 15 seconds. Its still a tricky call to make as they advise to keep the shifts minimal on auto gearboxes.
When you say that Hyundai recommended it, is it provided in the owner's manual or some other documentation or simply stated by the sales/ service staff? The whole point of an automatic is not to have to change gears. World over, absolutely no one ever changes in to 'N' while stopping at traffic signals. IN any case, if you feel better doing so, no harm
Old 1st September 2014, 11:42   #39
BANNED

Did anyone try installing the illumination control for Hyundai verna? Here is the DIY which looked interesting.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...dai-verna.html
Old 1st September 2014, 12:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard about this before. Can you throw more details please? even the 1st and 2nd gear ratios can be small and how do you think the shift box understands that? In 70% of city driving Verna AT shifts between 1st and 2nd leading to less FE and more wear and tear, How do we improve this?
Dont think you can do much about this 1st & 2nd shifting in traffic. I tried the manual route but the car simply comes down to 1st if the rpm drops below certain level so again I would up shift, so essential the manual is not complete manual but partially controlled by the car. Further, the gearbox does not allow you to up shift to 3rd or 4th as and when desired, the car needs to be at certain speeds.

Moral of the story, live with the torque converter and smile as much as you can
Old 9th September 2014, 16:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still not sure if D mode can take care of it completely. Hyundai recommended me to move to N at traffic lights which lets you halt for more than 15 seconds.
This totally depends on the TCU logic. Many gearboxes come to neutral as soon as handbrake is applied, or if brake pedal remains pressed for over 15 seconds. In these cars you feel the shift to first as soon as you release handbrake, or reduce pressure on brake pedal.
In some cars the gears remain engaged.
Also note that one gearbox can be coupled with different torque converters and used with wide range of engines and for wide range of vehicles. Hyundai uses same autobox from the i10 upto the Elantra, but converters defer depending on vehicle and engine, with the Verna and Elantra getting larger converters which lock during cruising too.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 19:38   #42
BANNED

Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission

Took her out for a spin this evening to Banasankari 6th stage and car is due for 1st service this week.

My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140910_182648_2.jpg

1. How can we set the gear shifts to happen early? On the tiptronic (+/-) mode, It allows me to shift to 2nd at 15 kmph, 3rd at 35 kmph. However on full Auto (D) mode shifts happen slightly different - 2nd at 20 kmph, 3rd at 40 kmph. A lot of times in city traffic it tends to stay at a constant low speed and you prefer to be in the higher gear. Let me talk to the A.S.S folks and hear on what they got to say.

2. Is the "Clean Air" technology, really a clean air technology? Honestly, the amount of dust that enters the cabin in Verna is same as my old Swift. So, what is the difference? If i have to worry about cleaning the cabin AC filter this early, then it will be my regular job. The cooling effect is awesome though.
Old 12th September 2014, 18:27   #43
BANNED

Re: My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission

Finished the first service today.

Total Cost: 0
Service Center: Advaith Hyundai, SubramanyaPura, South Bangalore

After reading through the horror stories of Advaith, surprisingly, i felt they have done a good job. No, great job. SubramanyaPura branch gets only 25 vehicles on week days and 35 on weekends. Hence, they had enough staff to do the job to perfection. I should give 10/10 for their cleaning and they happily let me stroll through the body shop and service engineer answering my questions.

My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140912_161250_1.jpg

santhosh_lv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 19:32   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Took her out for a spin this evening to Banasankari 6th stage and car is due for 1st service this week.

Attachment 1285727

1. How can we set the gear shifts to happen early? On the tiptronic (+/-) mode, It allows me to shift to 2nd at 15 kmph, 3rd at 35 kmph. However on full Auto (D) mode shifts happen slightly different - 2nd at 20 kmph, 3rd at 40 kmph. A lot of times in city traffic it tends to stay at a constant low speed and you prefer to be in the higher gear. Let me talk to the A.S.S folks and hear on what they got to say.
Guess this is one of the disadvantages of Hyundai AT's ,since they are 4 speed AT's I assume the 2nd and 3rd gears will have tall ratios and the shifts will be slightly more delayed than what you would do in a manual. I don't think there is any setting than can help up shift early. You can try driving with an extremely light foot and build up speed gradually. Typically AT's up-shift earlier when driven with a very light foot.
Old 30th July 2015, 17:23   #45
BHPian

Re: My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission

Hi Santhosh, It's almost a year since your purchase and hope you are enjoying every drive with your car.

There are hardly any reviews on Verna diesel AT and hence request you to throw some light on the following
1. Any major issues with diesel AT?
2. Fuel efficiency in city and highway

Most Viewed