Old 26th September 2014, 15:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2014 Maruti WagonR VXi - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
What you'll like :
  • A practical city runabout
  • Excellent forward and rearward view
Congratulations on your new car Longhorn. Wish you many happy miles in it. We own a 2011 breeze blue WagonR VXi which has done 18k kms. It has been a good experience so far. The only complains have been the poor low end torque which makes it a handful in the city and the apparently flimsy build quality. Though car has been rattle free even after going through many bad roads, the car somehow feels cheap. You literally push the bonnet, door panels, roof about 1cm into the car with your thumb. The same goes with the interior door plastic panels.

A few pointers:

- You can use the slot ahead of the gear lever to keep your phone. It has a rubber lining to protect from scratches. My iP5 easily rests there though I am not sure if the new Phablets can fit in.

- I have found the fuel gauge to be linear, with each bar representing ~3.5 litres and lasting for ~50 kms in the city (14+ kmpl with 100% AC). I have derived it after prolonged use. Even your mentioned figures of 20.5 Lit + 5 lit giving 8 bars = 3.2 lit/bar.

- While using the AC, you can start at 2/3 blower speed and the temperature setting at extreme blue end. After the cabin is cool, move the temp knob towards the whiter end until you are comfortable. (During cool night rides, I find the transition pt between blue and white to be ideal).

- The central locking is connected to driver side lock button. So you can use it to lock/unlock all doors at a time.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
I have a 2005 vxi, done a lot of high way, never felt non-confident on handling, braking or flicking. (Cornering is definitely not something you can do in this car at high speeds though).
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I said it because I was comparing it with Figo. Due to tall boy design wagonR doesen't seem planted at high speeds like Figo. And again lack of ABS scares me to drive at a high speeds.
Having driven the Figo and the WagonR, I agree with StepUP!. The Figo is leagues ahead of WR in terms of handling and braking. The car feels lot more planted with 4 people on board (like a typical old-gen SUV).
Even I find the WR's brakes to be inadequate at times. I even had a wheel lock up under sudden braking (mine is non-ABS version) once but luckily I had a lot of safe space to come to a halt.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th September 2014 at 15:50.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 12:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the Waggy club.

I got me one for myself just a couple of days ago (a Glistening Gray VXI) and I echo your views on all the pluses and minuses that you've observed in your post.

Wish you many happy miles and a fuss-free ownership.
Thanks for your wishes and wish you the same. Looking forward to your review on the forum! Glistening Grey was one of the colours on my shortlist before I finalised Ecru Beige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Congratulations longhorn for your new ride!

We bought wagonR back in 2012. It's a brilliant car for city use. And yes it's S.P.A.C.I.O.U.S!

I drive Figo TDCi and wagonR is driven by my dad. When I drive wagonR occasionaly, I agree on all the plus points you mentioned above. On the flip side, braking and handling at high speeds are not at all confidece inspiring. It shakes at high speeds when a truck/bus passes by. But I guess that's pertinent to the design of the car.

Happy mile munching!
Thanks for you wishes. The Figo is one of those very few cars that provide excellent steering feedback. It's got a very planted ride too, thanks in no short measure to its wheelbase. Short tall cars are not going to give that kind of grip anyday (can't beat the laws of physics )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
If i remember correctly,when you unlock the driver side door, then all the doors will be automatically unlocked in wagonR.
I should have made myself clear. I was referring to the door lock/unlock button provided on the driver side door of cars like Ritz / Swift. Thankfully you can override the system and opening the lock manually if need be.

Last edited by longhorn : 28th September 2014 at 12:06.
Old 28th September 2014, 12:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Even I find the WR's brakes to be inadequate at times. I even had a wheel lock up under sudden braking (mine is non-ABS version) once but luckily I had a lot of safe space to come to a halt.
I too felt the same in my 5 day, 100 km old car and thought of bringing that up during the first service.
Old 28th September 2014, 14:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikji View Post
Congrats on your new Wagon-R! I am sure it will be a loyal companion to you in the years to come. I had one for 7 years and never had any complaints against it, fun to drive in the city, one of the best options for taller people and is value for money. For some reason, I bought it for its looks more than anything else!
Thanks for your wishes. Not many people would buy the WagonR for its looks. Its a very practical hatch, one that would buy with your head rather than your heart. To each his own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Congratulations on your new car Longhorn. Wish you many happy miles in it. We own a 2011 breeze blue WagonR VXi which has done 18k kms.

A few pointers:

- I have found the fuel gauge to be linear, with each bar representing ~3.5 litres and lasting for ~50 kms in the city (14+ kmpl with 100% AC). I have derived it after prolonged use. Even your mentioned figures of 20.5 Lit + 5 lit giving 8 bars = 3.2 lit/bar.

- The central locking is connected to driver side lock button. So you can use it to lock/unlock all doors at a time.
Thank you for your wishes. I saw one bar had dropped after about 32 kms. Thats why I thought its not linear. Need to recheck on that. Yes the central locking is connected to the driver side door locking mechanism. I was referring to the additional switch on the driver side door handle next to the power window lock/unlock switch that you find on the Ritz/Swift.
Old 28th September 2014, 15:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your car!

We have a K10 waggie at home and I drive it more than my Grand i10 diesel. The engine will open up a bit after first 2-3 thousand kms. That is what I felt.
You have pointed out to A/C air taking a bit more time to hit rear seats. I blame this on poor design of vent. They are not placed properly in a not so wide cabin and also are small for the amount of air Blower is able to throw ( which also makes it slightly noisy ).
Your observation on torque is correct. Believe, once on highway, the Waggie can really perform very strong. Even with A/C and four adults in CNG mode, my Waggie comfortably cruises at 120-130. The motor is more at home on open roads than congested city traffic. Seats are the best you can get in that segment. No other car ( not sure of Chevy spark and beat ) offer adjustable head rests. I10, Grand i10, Alto series, Celerio, all lack adjustable front headrests. Waggie seats are more generous than general segment standard. I rencetly changed the tyres from original JK ( 52K kms. ) to Bridgestone B290.
The headlights are also very nice for stock setup.
How do you find the fog lights ? I am planning to get them installed in my Waggie, but wonder if the original are good enough. Else I will get after market stuff. My LXi has wiring in place for Fogs. Aftermarket also provides me with lot of bulb options.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th September 2014 at 15:20.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 00:42   #21
BHPian

Hi Longhorn,

Congratulations on the new Waggie.
It is indeed a great city car.
I am now on my third Waggie. Owned the first gen from 2002 to 2008, the F10 from 2008 to 2013 and now I have the "Blue Eyed Boy" - bought last year with ABS and air bag.
The very fact that I have had three of the same vehicles is my testimony to this car.
Great for "larger" people. Walk in, walk out. Great A/C. Good legroom. Good visibility.
The only thing I don't like is the way the K10 engine struggles in lower gears. I am really surprised that Maruti have not been able to do something about this problem which numerous owners have complained about.
I guess it's to please the "Kitne Deti Hai" brigade.

Safe driving.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 16:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Thanks for your wishes. Not many people would buy the WagonR for its looks. Its a very practical hatch, one that would buy with your head rather than your heart. To each his own I guess.

Thank you for your wishes. I saw one bar had dropped after about 32 kms. Thats why I thought its not linear. Need to recheck on that. Yes the central locking is connected to the driver side door locking mechanism. I was referring to the additional switch on the driver side door handle next to the power window lock/unlock switch that you find on the Ritz/Swift.
Practicality is what made me choose the WagonR in the first place. But it looked much better than the Santro to me, which was the only other car I was considering at that time.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:07   #23
BHPian

You can't really go wrong with the Wagon R. For folks with back pains, elderly parents/ in-laws and women with little babies who need to be quickly strapped in/out of a child seat, this is a God-sent. Congratulations. Enjoy the (very comfortable) ride.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Even with A/C and four adults in CNG mode, my Waggie comfortably cruises at 120-130.
I guess you are going too far with this. The Wagon R even running on petrol with four adults and A/C would NOT cruise at 120-130 kph comfortably. I have driven CNG fitted one and there is no way it can do that.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I guess you are going too far with this. The Wagon R even running on petrol with four adults and A/C would NOT cruise at 120-130 kph comfortably. I have driven CNG fitted one and there is no way it can do that.
@mods : Sorry for OT post. Request you to delete the post if found OT. I dont want to hijack this thread.

I reside in Vadodara, having access to NE-1 ( National Expressway -1 ) between Ahmedabad and Vadodara. Have driven n number of times. My car is K10 Waggie with factory fitted CNG.At 120, there is easy grunt available till 130-135 to overtake. My thread also exists and you can probably go through it. Factory fitted CNG lacks punch after 140, petrol, after 145. The tuning of CNG is very good IMO. Will try to search for a few images if permitted.
Old 30th September 2014, 13:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@mods : Sorry for OT post. Request you to delete the post if found OT. I dont want to hijack this thread.

I reside in Vadodara, having access to NE-1 ( National Expressway -1 ) between Ahmedabad and Vadodara. Have driven n number of times. My car is K10 Waggie with factory fitted CNG.At 120, there is easy grunt available till 130-135 to overtake. My thread also exists and you can probably go through it. Factory fitted CNG lacks punch after 140, petrol, after 145. The tuning of CNG is very good IMO. Will try to search for a few images if permitted.
I will second that Sir.

I am from your neighboring city Anand and have done multiple trips between Anand and Mumbai(the place of my location/work).

WR CNG can go till 130 kmph. I dare say I have not pushed here beyond that considering her tall stance. Even at 130 kmph, there was some grunt left though I always felt she will top out at 135/138 kmph and not touch the 140 mark.
Old 30th September 2014, 13:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I guess you are going too far with this. T
Quote:
Will try to search for a few images if permitted.
@ All : I do not recommend high speed driving on any Indian highway. The image below is just an indicator of me driving at higher speed ( the NE-1 was designed for 120 kmph and I am doing just that ) around 2.5 years ago. The traffic was much less that what it is now.

@ Extreme_torque : Please find below the image where in I am driving on NE-1, shaking hand with my friend. Four of us were going in for an interview to Ahmedabad. It was late afternoon/evening time and the traffic is scanty. The road now has a lot of traffic which includes HCV.
At that time, I used to frequent NE-1 more than twice a month. CNG kept the running cost low.

Again, Please do NOT drive at high speeds. I was a college kid when the attached shot was taken.

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th September 2014 at 17:08. Reason: Picture is not required to explain the current situation. Please avoid discusing high speed driving. Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I will second that Sir.

I am from your neighboring city Anand and have done multiple trips between Anand and Mumbai(the place of my location/work).

WR CNG can go till 130 kmph. I dare say I have not pushed here beyond that considering her tall stance. Even at 130 kmph, there was some grunt left though I always felt she will top out at 135/138 kmph and not touch the 140 mark.
I would urge everyone to drive cautiously. Speeds over 90, 100 kmph tops are not advisable on most Indian roads. At any time one can have an animal, a pedestrian, a motorcycle or a pothole appear. In addition, there can be rocks, road work and other blockages that can pop up with little or no warning. The lanes can end or change at any time as well.

Of course we all like to see how fast our cars can go but extreme caution is advised. When I moved to India last year, I was driving near the posted speed limit of 100 on expressways but now after gaining further experience, I rarely exceed 80 to 90 as one can never be sure of what to expect. On some highways, the traffic can be switched to two way with no warning whatsoever or someone else simply comes the wrong way.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ All : I do not recommend high speed driving on any Indian highway. The image below is just an indicator of me driving at higher speed ( the NE-1 was designed for 120 kmph and I am doing just that ) around 2.5 years ago. The traffic was much less that what it is now.

@ Extreme_torque : Please find below the image where in I am driving on NE-1, shaking hand with my friend. Four of us were going in for an interview to Ahmedabad. It was late afternoon/evening time and the traffic is scanty. The road now has a lot of traffic which includes HCV.
At that time, I used to frequent NE-1 more than twice a month. CNG kept the running cost low.

Again, Please do NOT drive at high speeds. I was a college kid when the attached shot was taken.
My point is that it cannot cruise at 120-130 on CNG comfortably. If it tops out at 130+ kph on CNG, how is 130 kph cruising comfortably?
Old 4th October 2014, 20:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

First Service Done

The first service was completed on 25/09/2014 with 464 kms on the odo. Total bill amount came to Rs 410. I got the cabin air filter installed on first service. It costs Rs. 305 + taxes. Another 50 odd bucks was for 4 sachets of screen wash concentrate. I noticed a reduction in the volume of air thrown out by the blowers post installation of the filter. No niggles so far.

Finally did a tankful on auto cutoff method yesterday. With the fuel meter reading one bar below half tank, the vehicle took in 23.55 litres in total. This includes the approx 0.75 litre it took in after the first auto cutoff. Need to workout the FE at the next topup.

Last edited by longhorn : 4th October 2014 at 20:24.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks