Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2015, 00:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Wiper shuddering is back again and my windshield is not cleaned properly during rains. It has become difficult to drive in rains especially with an oncoming vehicle's headlight I have been using "ProKlear Prkwwc Liquid Vehicle Glass Cleaner" and still no results. I am not sure if it is because of the wiper blades or due to shuddering
Did you try replacing the blades or asking A.S.S to do so?

Btw how is the black 3M stickering on the front grill holding up?
Old 11th September 2015, 09:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Did you try replacing the blades or asking A.S.S to do so?

Btw how is the black 3M stickering on the front grill holding up?
No the blades were not replaced, I was told they have done some fix on the wiper. Initially it was good, but during heavy rains I faced this issue.

3M stickering is holding good but as I had mentioned earlier, bottom edges of the grill where it meets the line below is not holding good, but it's not come off either. So far its good.
Old 11th September 2015, 11:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No the blades were not replaced, I was told they have done some fix on the wiper. Initially it was good, but during heavy rains I faced this issue.

3M stickering is holding good but as I had mentioned earlier, bottom edges of the grill where it meets the line below is not holding good, but it's not come off either. So far its good.
Based on my experience shuddering happens only when the wipers get too hard and rain is less but in your case it seems opp since car is new plus it happens in heavy rains. Doesnt hurt try replacing the wipers once. Do you happen to park under the sun a lot?

Great to see you already hit 5K+. I just managed 4K. Due to personal engagements just not able to take more highway runs . And ORR traffic has gotten so painful that I started taking volvo to work.
Old 11th September 2015, 11:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on my experience shuddering happens only when the wipers get too hard and rain is less but in your case it seems opp since car is new plus it happens in heavy rains. Doesnt hurt try replacing the wipers once. Do you happen to park under the sun a lot?

Great to see you already hit 5K+. I just managed 4K. Due to personal engagements just not able to take more highway runs . And ORR traffic has gotten so painful that I started taking volvo to work.
Yeah will check for some more time if still the shuddering persists, I will go with Hella or Bosch wiper blades. There is no covered parking at my place as well as office, hence even I am thinking if the rubber gets hard in the sun and when used in rain it shudders. Let me see how it ends.

Yeah considering the ORR traffic its better not to take your car out, else your leg really hurts holding the clutch, an automatic is the best bet in those conditions. Also we can plan for some weekend runs with our XUV's
Old 12th September 2015, 17:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Cougar had a minor heart attack today early morning. Had an important work in the city and started from home around 7am, soon after travelling 500m or so heard a kat noise and the battery indicator on the instrument panel started glowing continuously along with the power steering becoming hard not able to turn to either side.

Initially I thought the battery got disconnected somehow and popped under the hood, but everything was intact. Checked thoroughly and saw that rat has entered the engine bay and chewed some rubber. Then I thought it must be some power steering wire chewed by rat and drove to my friend's place slowly. My friend had a look and while doing so we saw that the belt is not in it's place and thought the rats have chewed the belts.

Thanks to J.Ravi sir who instantly replied on the niggles thread and informed rats would have not chewed the belt, I was bit relieved and thought it is just the belt has slipped off from it's place. Called my RM & SA to get some help and they guided me to call RSA for a free tow to the workshop as Ravi sir did.

Finished my work, came back and called the RSA for assistance to get the car towed to nearest service center. Initially was planning to take it to Anant Cars, Banerghatta Road but with the weekend traffic, planned to take it to the nearest service center which is Sireesh Auto in Magadi Road, Rajajinagar.

The tow vehicle took its own time to reach the place and finally my cougar was on the flatbed after 1.5 hours and I never wanted to see my car like this on bed.

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150912_13_34_13_pro.jpg

Car was then taken to Sireesh Auto and trust me the staff there were really helpful and happy to help. Mr. Tilak attended the case and got couple of guys to look into the car immediately, thanks to him for the quick action and god was on my side with less number of cars and within half an hour the belt was fitted back. Also got the wiper shuddering checked and hopefully it should be fine.

Went for a long test drive just to make sure the belt is fine and car is running without any issues. Everything looked fine and I was back home without paying a single penny.

Thanks to Mr. Tilak (Sireesh Auto) & Mahindra RSA(withyouhamesha) team for getting my car ready without much of hassles.

Now my next goal is to procure some rat repellents and save my car. Need your inputs to source the best rat repellents. Thanks in advance!
fusionbang is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 19:40   #66
BHPian

Wow, nice to know that MASS went to this extent and correct the issue.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 10:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Last week Cougar got a chance to stretch it's legs on a round trip of 600km from Bangalore - Shimoga and back. This time it was a fuss free ride and the beast behaved perfectly in the entire journey.

After I had got the steering sensor alignment issue din't had the opportunity to check if the issue is gone completely. This time had a chance and used cruise control extensively on the 4 lane stretch and everything worked perfectly. Now the car is niggle free and running smoothly(touchwood) and trust me I can't wait for the next long drive which is yet to be planned (Probably Goa next month end)

With 6400Kms on the ODO I am liking the beast than anything else. I have started using the car on a daily basis to office which is 16Km to-fro leaving my bike aside, I think I am doing injustice to my baby R1 after acquiring this beauty. I am not sure when my bike will turn face from me

Mileage Update:

In city conditions with 100% AC, I am consistently getting around 10kmpl based on tank full to tank full method, whereas the MID is showing around 9.8kmpl. I am yet to refuel my car to calculate the highway mileage, but as per the MID it is 15.3kmpl.

PS: Will post some pictures in the evening after I reach home.
fusionbang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 01:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Sunay, did you ever figure out how the belt slipped out? This is the first time I am hearing something like this happened unless there is some pulley alignment issue. I see that you did lot of driving after the issue and it hasn't popped up again. Fingers crossed and hope it doesnt happen again.

XUV does keep life interesting . I have been lucky so far, other than annoying creaking sound from the seat belt and a metallic rattle its been running fine. Will get these fixed next month when I give car for its 1st service.
Old 27th September 2015, 09:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sunay, did you ever figure out how the belt slipped out? This is the first time I am hearing something like this happened unless there is some pulley alignment issue. I see that you did lot of driving after the issue and it hasn't popped up again. Fingers crossed and hope it doesnt happen again.

XUV does keep life interesting . I have been lucky so far, other than annoying creaking sound from the seat belt and a metallic rattle its been running fine. Will get these fixed next month when I give car for its 1st service.
Yes buddy life is interesting with the XUV. Till now I am not sure how the belt popped out on its own, I am still under an impression rat is the culprit here.

After the incident there is no trace of a rat. But to be on safer side I have tied a rat repellent.

Also I did a speed test with my car yesterday on NICE road and it was an amazing experience to drive this beast at high speeds and no where I felt the car was losing it's breathe.
Old 10th October 2015, 21:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

Couple of updates on the Cougar,

1. Bought rat repellent's just to make sure rat's wont chew my beasts rubber parts and bring me to a situation something like before. Currently I have installed only one and kept the other to replace after few months
Cost: 465/- for 2Nos

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151007_21_50_38_pro.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151007_21_51_06_pro.jpg

2. Got the wheel alignment done at Madhu's Enterprises, Bangalore at 6735Kms on the ODO
Cost: 600/- after 15% Discount

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151010_11_41_34_pro.jpg

Also, I am planning to get Road Force balancing and Tyre rotation after the 2nd service at 10000Kms, is it the right time to get it done? Please suggest

Got a chance to check on the bulbs at JC Road today and here is the quote

1. Low Beam - Philips Xtreme Vision +130% H7 55W - 2Nos - 1400/-
2. High Beam - Philips Xtreme Vision +130% H7 55W - 2Nos - 1400/-
3. Static Bending Lamps - Philips Xtreme Vision +130% H1 55W - 2Nos - 900/-
4. Front Fog Lamps - Osram Cool Blue Intense H8 35W - 2Nos - 2700/-
5. Back Number plate lights - W5W LED - 2 Nos - 1050/-

Total - 7450/-

The same set of bulbs when checked at power bulbs I am getting it at 9078/- with 20% discount and the LED lights being free.

Considering the above facts it looks Power bulbs is costlier, hence I might go ahead with my trusted shop at JC Road and get it fixed at ASS.
Old 11th October 2015, 13:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

Today morning Cougar got a refreshing drive between landscapes with almost NIL traffic one way to Nandi Hills and back. While going took Doddaballapur road and inside roads which go through small villages and it was a breeze driving with smooth roads. As usual the up hill drive to Nandi hills was not that great due to some early morning rush.

I think almost all zoom-car's from Bangalore was there at the hills, as I could spot a zoom-car every 100mts enroute. And of-course they were driven rashly without any road manners without slowing down or giving way for people driving uphill.

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151011_07_50_38_pro.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151011_08_10_23_pro.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151011_08_10_29_pro.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151011_08_10_49_pro.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151011_08_11_11_pro.jpg
Old 12th October 2015, 09:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a chance to check on the bulbs at JC Road today and here is the quote -

1. Low Beam - Philips Xtreme Vision +130% H7 55W - 2Nos - 1400/-
2. High Beam - Philips Xtreme Vision +130% H7 55W - 2Nos - 1400/-
3. Static Bending Lamps - Philips Xtreme Vision +130% H1 55W - 2Nos - 900/-
4. Front Fog Lamps - Osram Cool Blue Intense H8 35W - 2Nos - 2700/-
5. Back Number plate lights - W5W LED - 2 Nos - 1050/-

Total - 7450/-
Did you fix these? I was curious to see how that blue fog lamps would perform. Combination of 1,2,3 (high, low, static bending) should illuminate the road to what is required on highways. I have replaced only the low beams. Waiting for the parcel from USA to arrive for past month or so. No-one traveling at this time so unable to get it.

If this lighting does not suffice, then must think of setup like @VellVector did on his XUV. Add ballasts and change bulbs, more powerful fogs with higher intensity.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 11:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Did you fix these? I was curious to see how that blue fog lamps would perform. Combination of 1,2,3 (high, low, static bending) should illuminate the road to what is required on highways. I have replaced only the low beams. Waiting for the parcel from USA to arrive for past month or so. No-one traveling at this time so unable to get it.

If this lighting does not suffice, then must think of setup like @VellVector did on his XUV. Add ballasts and change bulbs, more powerful fogs with higher intensity.
No Avinash, not yet fixed. I wanted to first compare with powerbulbs.com, hence just enquired and came back. As mentioned earlier, powerbulbs seems to be costlier even after discounts.

I am planning to get them this week and installed, as I would like to have them before planned long trip to Goa next week.

Can you share the link to VellVector's upgrade if he has posted here? What spec bulbs is he using for fog lamps?
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 11:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

It is to be sent be believed Unfortunately he has not put up a ownership thread or updated anywhere. But on 2-3 overnighter trips I have seen the lights performance. We don't like him in our rear view mirror so you can guess the setup will not be forgettable with oncoming vehicles too! He can drive with just the fogs and LEDs strip bulbs, leave alone low beam and high beams.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 21:24   #75
Senior - BHPian

After a long deliberation and some budget constraints, was able to upgrade my cougar's eyes to brighter ones

The bulbs upgraded were,
1. Low Beam - Philips XtremeVision Plus +130% H7 55W - 2 Nos - 1600/-
2. High Beam - Philips XtremeVision Plus +130% H7 55W - 2 Nos - 1600/-
3. Static Bending headlamps - Philips XtremeVision +100% - 2 Nos - 900/-

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151017_16_54_36_pro.jpg

Some comparo pics:

Fog Lamp + Low Beam
The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-lowfogbeam_comparo.jpg

Fog Lamp + Low Beam + High Beam
The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-foglowhighbeam_comparo.jpg

PS: First 1000Km sprint is on the cards for the cougar and eager to get on the beast in couple of days

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-goa.jpg

Most Viewed