Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2015, 10:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!

Got a chance to be part of the Kabini drive till the Breakfast point, and it was really a nice feeling to meet close to 23 Bhpians, out of which I have met few already. I was the only one along with Suhas to come back after the breakfast and I felt very sad not to continue the drive because of previous commitments.

Some pictures from the short drive,

Thanks for this chief

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20151204_006.jpg

3 Beasts,

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20151205_063804859_hdr.jpg

Cheetah's guarded by the T-Fort

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20151205_063811438.jpg

Early morning discussion with chief

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20151205_063833727.jpg

Waiting for yummy Idli's
The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20151205_083050496_hdr.jpg

Apart from this had a scary incident on the way to breakfast point, almost hit the 2 wheeler guy. It was my mistake I over judged the space and the Ikon guy was doing high speeds too. I would like to apologize for this act of mine.

Here is the video of the same from the dashcam,

Thanks to my Cheetah for braking in time and helping me come out this situation. If it was my previous car, I am not sure where I would have been.
fusionbang is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 11:39   #92
BHPian

Oh Sunay, that was close !!! Good that you were able to brake at the right moment. Did ABS kick in too?
Old 6th December 2015, 13:35   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Oh Sunay, that was close !!! Good that you were able to brake at the right moment. Did ABS kick in too?
Yes Vikram, ABS kicked in and I was in control of the car completely. But i could not shift down and use engine braking as I was more concentrated on the gap between 2 wheeler and the Ikon.
Old 18th January 2016, 15:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

Small Update:

Of late I am not able to post updates on my cougar due to few commitments and a new addition in the family. Currently ODO stands at 15700 and trying to catch up with Avinash's orange cheetah

Got some time today and hence posting few updates:

Cougar has been taking to places right from start of the new year and never let me down at any instance, instead has brought me more confidence to take it to places where my previous car could not make it. The start of the year has been really good with a day drive to Horsley Hills (with Bhpians), 3 visits to Shimoga(wifey's place) and a quick visit to Madikeri(1 day up & down).

Minor Issues:
1. Facing rattles from the rear hatch door which was very minor initially and has become more prominent after the Horsley hills drive going through rough patches and potholes.
2. Passenger side seat belt hits the B-pillar making irritating noise when its not worn.
3. Speedometer cowl makes a minor rattling noise too.
4. Brake grinding noise for which brakes has to be cleaned.

Planning to visit the service center during a weekday and try to get this issues fixed at the earliest.

Also I have planned for HID Conversion kit for the low beams along with Hardwiring dashcam, which me and Avinash are planning to get it done.

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160101_103759037.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160101_103821398.jpg

Some random pictures from the Horsley Hills drive,

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160102_085156471_hdr.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160102_085256553.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160102_085249261_hdr.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160102_115328932.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160102_115334666.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160102_115346337.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160102_121505739.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160102_121420173.jpg

Last edited by fusionbang : 18th January 2016 at 15:49.
fusionbang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 16:54   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Yes Vikram, ABS kicked in and I was in control of the car completely. But i could not shift down and use engine braking as I was more concentrated on the gap between 2 wheeler and the Ikon.
Holy Moses Sunay. This one was close. You went from 130+ to 60s in no time. I bet you had a pounding heart . Why did the Ikon guy slow down so much later?
Old 20th January 2016, 17:30   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Holy Moses Sunay. This one was close. You went from 130+ to 60s in no time. I bet you had a pounding heart . Why did the Ikon guy slow down so much later?
Yes tinu, it was a scary moment. The Ikon guy got worried that I might cut him and braked hard, so he wanted to stop me to harass me. After sometime he stopped my car by blocking my way and started to talk harshly and pounce on me. But I did not get down from the car not opened my windows. Later he left, he was a lawyer though.
Old 20th January 2016, 17:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes tinu, it was a scary moment. The Ikon guy got worried that I might cut him and braked hard, so he wanted to stop me to harass me. After sometime he stopped my car by blocking my way and started to talk harshly and pounce on me. But I did not get down from the car not opened my windows. Later he left, he was a lawyer though.
Crazy people. You didnt even touch him, so not sure why he got so worked up. Maybe he got scared at the speed and hearing ABS sound on the outside plus tires squealing.
Old 20th January 2016, 18:10   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crazy people. You didnt even touch him, so not sure why he got so worked up. Maybe he got scared at the speed and hearing ABS sound on the outside plus tires squealing.
Even I was wondering why he reacted so much, probably he was scared after braking hard and reacted on me. But my sense prevailed and did not want to argue with him.I would have lost him but early morning Mysore Road traffic did not allow me to do so.
Old 20th January 2016, 18:56   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Yes tinu, it was a scary moment. The Ikon guy got worried that I might cut him and braked hard, so he wanted to stop me to harass me.
Quote:
Even I was wondering why he reacted so much, probably he was scared after braking hard and reacted on me.
Quote:
Crazy people. You didnt even touch him, so not sure why he got so worked up.
When one is driving down the faster lane on the express-way and after a while one spots a menacing Cheetah pouncing on the car ahead, any driver seeing from the IRVM will get dead scared and just move out of the way.

The second time when you reached close to the car he would have thought you were bully him so he tried the same by slowing you down even though you decelerated quickly in a sane manner without loosing composure. Excellent control you had on the XUV Sunay! Hats Off!

Mistakes happen by all, it is how one learns from it and understands not to over-react.

I can't imagine the plight of the guy on the bike. Hope he didn't have wet pants!

PS: How did the car feel at that moment?
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 22:34   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I can't imagine the plight of the guy on the bike. Hope he didn't have wet pants!
You know what the bike guy din't realize till the last moment that I was behind him, after I slowed down behind him he saw in his RVM and then moved to the left of the road. One thing I hate is biker's hanging around in center or extreme right of the highway at around 50kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
PS: How did the car feel at that moment?
Car was absolutely on track and it kept its composure. Trust me ABS was a real savior here and I was just imagining where would I have been if it had no ABS.

Initially I had heard about brakes not being sharp in XUV and the stopping distance is not that great, but after getting into a real time scenario like this it has bought more confidence on this car.

Actually this is the second time I am facing this kind of situation, earlier on the same Mysore Road while coming back from T-bhp drive to Ooty a bus brake abruptly and couple of cars behind them braked hard. Even I had to brake hard and the car literally stopped just behind a Innova.

And in both cases there were no cars behind me else they would have surely rear ended my car.
fusionbang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 00:22   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me ABS was a real savior here and I was just imagining where would I have been if it had no ABS.
Indeed a great boon I would say too. I was always under impression that ABS increases the braking distance! But here it appeared a saviour.

Last edited by abirnale : 21st January 2016 at 00:38.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 08:36   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initially I had heard about brakes not being sharp in XUV and the stopping distance is not that great, but after getting into a real time scenario like this it has bought more confidence on this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Indeed a great boon I would say too. I was always under impression that ABS increases the braking distance! But here it appeared a saviour.
I have a Figo with ABS which has one of the best brakes I have come across in terms of linearity, you can virtually predict from pedal pressure how much braking you will get. Comparing that to XUV my experience is that XUV brakes dont have linear bite but when they do its pretty good. So in case of panic braking it will be difficult to hold the brakes at the edge and ABS would mostly kick in which is actually a boon. I had a similar experience on Kanakpura road once when a calf strolled onto the road and I really had to brake pretty darn hard. ABS didnt kick in but overall I was happy with the bite that brakes gave.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 09:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
On dry and slippery surface ABS decreases the stopping distance Avinash, whereas on slush or snow surfaces it increases the stopping distance but still helps in controlling the vehicle from skidding or to be on track.

In this scenario, without ABS the car would have skid and hit the 2 wheeler guy and may be fishtailed to hit the Ikon guy.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 20:33   #104
Senior - BHPian

Silver Cougar's new lenses

After upgrading the lights to Philips XtremeVision +130% couple of months back, did not find much of a difference in the throw-put and still had issues driving on highways with high beams in front from all type of vehicles.

So me and Avinash (@abirnale) after lot of deliberation and confusions planned to go ahead with an upgrade to HID Conversion kits this weekend. Options considered,

1. Philips H7 60000K 35W

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-philips.jpg

Could not find an option of 4300K in Philips and had to stick with 6000K, but unfortunately heard some negatives on the genuineness of the kits and some warranty issues, hence Philips was out of the list.

2. Osram H7 4300K 35W

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-osram.jpg

Again Osram was almost finalized and we were about to procure it, but again a small enquiry about the same revealed warranty claims was not an easy task with Osram. Since we all want a fuss free experience with the products we buy, we had to drop it from the list.

3. P8 H7 4300K 35W

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-hidkitcover.jpg

Finally we were left with P8 conversion kit, where lot of discussions happened about the brand's reliability and efficiency. We got 100% positive comments on this brand and with few of our Bhpians being installed this kit has never faced an issue till date and with 1 year warranty from Amritas and the word given by the dealer was good enough for us to go ahead with this kit.

So the D-day was finalized as 23rd Jan 2016 after talking to Satya (EVO) with the availability of stocks and the electricians for both mine and Avinash's car.

Avinash had reached 10 mins before I arrived and they were in the process of changing his high beams to Philips XtremeVision + 130%. Also in the meantime we were waiting for the HID kit to arrive and the work started in parallel on both the cars.

Few pics on the work being carried out,

Accessing the left side projector bulb

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-tryingtoaccesslhslamp.jpg

Ballast

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-ballast.jpg

Connection of the ballasts, bulbs and rubber dust cap were all quick and it was pretty straight forward

The kit connected

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-extrawires.jpg

Rubber dust cap drilled which will be covered with this small rubber design provided with the HID kit

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-rubbercap_hole.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-rubbercap.jpg

How it looks when connected inside the projector

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-hidconnected.jpg

Ballasts and additional wires being tied and placed below the coolant. With a cramped engine compartment in XUV, it is really difficult to find a place to add a small wire.

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-ballasttiedbelowcoolant.jpg

Projectors switched on

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-lhsbeam2.jpg

The entire installation took 1 hour which was really good considering the cramped engine bay.

We paid 8000/- for each kit and we left from the place happily and was very eager to wait for the dusk to test these brighter bulbs. I had to travel to Kalahasthi and left home by 3PM and reached half way by 6PM by when the sun was almost set and I was all excited to switch on my low beams

Unfortunately luck was not with me and happened to notice this as soon as I switched on the lights

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-beampattern_1.jpg

There is this shadows like candles in between the throw and was worried what is wrong with the setup. But I was with family and had to reach Kalahasthi before night and had to continue the journey with this setup and combination of high beams. Nevertheless the beams were good and I was able to manage all the way.

I wanted to check with Avinash if he is also facing this issue on his car, as soon as I reached Avinash called me and spoke to me about this issue on his car as well. I had noticed that this issue was not their with others who had installed HID on their XUV's earlier.

Finally we have decided that we will visit Satya again during dusk and get this rectified asap. I am planning to go tomorrow evening after office.

Hopefully it will be fine and we can have a relaxed drive during the nights.

Couple of pictures on the way to Kalahasthi:

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-nandifoodplaza_1.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-nandifoodplaza.jpg

Few detailed pictures can be seen in Avinash's ownership report

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3896793

PS:Will keep the thread updated with the resolution and the comparison pics will follow once fixed.
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 21:24   #105
Senior - BHPian

A quick break during office hours has resulted in this wonderful setup of hardwiring the dashcam and I am really happy with the results.

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160128_160208425.jpg

Thanks Avinash(abirnale) for giving me this idea and the source to get this done

Also I would like to thank Sanjay (sunnyBoi) who helped me with a fuse tap and a fuse, which would have taken at-least 2 weeks to procure online and delayed this setup by 2-3 weeks.

Avinash had shared me the contact details of the accessories guy from Sireesh Auto Hosur Road, called him up after lunch and he asked me come post 3PM. Left office by 2PM, met Sanjay near Hosa Road to collect the fuse tap and reached Sireesh auto by 3.15 PM. Quickly got the job card to get this fitted and we were on our way to the service center where this work had to be done.

Since the same setup was done on Avinash's car yesterday, it was a cake walk for the electrician to do it on my car. Exactly it took him 20 mins to finish this and man what professionalism that guy showed in the way he executed this job. It is a neatly executed job.

The additional socket is being placed exactly below the bonnet open latch.

Let some pictures do the talking,

Silver cougar waiting to get hardwired

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160128_152908332.jpg

Stuff ready to get the work started,

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160128_154106972.jpg

Cover below the steering rack being removed after removing the side panel and the scuff plate

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160128_154220432.jpg

A-pillar cover been removed. Notice the black thick wire, this is where the cable was tied to with an insulation tape

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160128_154527249_hdr.jpg

Wire being concealed neatly inside the roof line

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160128_154758104_hdr.jpg

Additional socket being tied with a cable tie to the mettle below the bonnet open latch

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160128_155641391.jpg

Quick Update on the HID bulb:

With the shadow effects it became really difficult to drive as the eyes are more tilted towards them and I came up with a idea to rotate the bulbs inside and see if it solves the purpose. But to my bad luck it worsen the situation and the throw of the beam was really bad and there was almost no lights. It was like fog lamps being ON.

We are guessing it to be the problem with the bulb and trying to fix this issue ASAP. Will keep this thread updated with the final results. Until then ciao.
fusionbang is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed