Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 22:39   #1
BHPian

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review

Part 1: First, the acknowledgements:

Alright. Finally, I sit down to start this review – hopefully, it will be a comprehensive one. I will first start by thanking all of the people who have helped with deep insights, Harbir (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...endeavour.html), Sh@rpshooter, Satpal, IronRock (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ve-review.html ), our own Devdath (http://www.cartoq.com/expertvoice/mi...st-and-review/ ). Mods, I am quoting some external references in good taste and intent, hopefully does not violate any posting rules.

My aim in writing this review is two fold:
  1. Create an ownership review, to provide enough information for other Pajero Sport enthusiasts as well as create a thread where others can hopefully share similar experiences and insights. Oddly enough, for a car that inspires a lot of passion - I have till date not found any comprehensive review of the Pajero Sport on Team BHP, leave alone an official review. I hope to correct this rather glaring shortcoming.
  2. Try to see how far I can get with a review almost akin to a Team-BHP official review. And for that, I would like to thank some people: GTO, Noopster (a fellow alumnus), .anshuman (my more famous and accomplished namesake here on TBHP), Rehaan, and many others who have posted such masterly reviews.

Now that we have this important piece out of the way, lets get on with the main stuff.

(Disclaimer: All views expressed here are my own, and in no way meant to challenge or disrespect the decidedly wiser folk out there)

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 23:27.
anshuman_v is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 22:43   #2
BHPian

Part 2: History - The search for a car:

This search has taken me about a year to conclude. I have driven a few cars in the past, namely the Scorpio DX, my faithful companion for 10 years; a Polo since last 3 years, a Zen, and a Toyota Camry in the US. Now that it was time to bid my Scorpio goodbye after a 10 year niggle-free stint – the choice was essentially down to Fortuner, Pajero, Rexton, XUV. I love all these vehicles – unless one gets to really nitpicking points about them. The XUV – wife said didn’t feel like an upgrade after the Scorpio (and there goes another 12 odd lakhs), so it was ruled out. I like driving myself, and the Rexton auto did not quite measure up in this aspect. Quickly narrowed down to (surprise, surprise) Fortuner vs Pajero. Drove them, and here is a summary of my experience:
  • Fortuner MT 4x4: Liked overall, did not like the excessive shake in the gearbox, same as the Innova. Interiors, brakes, suspension etc, we all know the story.
  • Fortuner MT 2x4: Same gear story, increased turning radius of 5.9m as opposed 5.6 in 4x4 version. Ruled out.
  • Fortuner AT: Loved it, didn’t have the gear issue, quite a smooth and commanding presence, good 5.6m turning radius. However, left a little more to be desired in terms of suspension, rear seat comfort. Also, wife said it was now ‘too common’ (this is a personal opinion, so please don’t take it otherwise)
  • Pajero Sport: Now this is a vehicle that inspires passion. You sit in it, it bonds with you. I am not even talking about lineage – it just makes sense when you drive it. Each point in the PS is well thought and laid out. And yes, since it sells so less – only truly passionate people own it – and trust me, it’s an exclusive but very welcoming club of people who are passionate about their cars.

Some other small factors that helped weigh my decision towards the Pajero Sport:
  • Fortuner did not pass on the excise cut benefit to the users. I have been hunting and following prices of cars for about a year, and was disappointed when they dropped prices by about 25K, instead of the full cut of about 75K.
  • Pajero, meanwhile, passed on the excise cut more substantially. Also, their pricing reduced since they went the CKD route than CBU route.
  • Incidentally, Toyota increased the Fortuner’s prices in the last month by about 50K, for no ostensible reason (maybe to make way for their 2.5L variant – but why increase an existing price). Toyota knows that the Fortuner has problems around its brakes and its suspension, but since it sells - they seem to be taking things a little for granted around these points.
  • Pajero Sport, on the other hand - does seem like they have actually listened to the customer and made welcome changes to the legendary Pajero SFX on almost all fronts, while retaining the strengths. They brought on the Anniversary Edition which enhanced the nice features – so while the dealership network is thin, the company seems to be listening in.

So net net, in my research, the Pajero Sport appealed to the heart as a better stand alone product. The Fortuner of course, sells more by at least 10:1 – but in my opinion, is beginning to take things a little for granted. For those who are interested in a good comparison of T Fort and Pajero Sport, check out this thread by Iron Rock at a sister forum (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...s-crossed.html )

To cut a long story short: after a year of intense research, having asked all my friends (almost to the point of becoming a ridicule – aka the ad they show on TV where the guy keeps asking every one for advice on cars) - listened to my heart (and to my dear wife, did I really have a choice?), and bought the Pajero Sport. I know I might regret this when I get the short end of the stick with spare parts; but I will be knocking on the experts’ (read Devdath, IronRock, and the others) door for advise and help then!

Like they say, whats life without a little passion, eh?

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 23:05.
anshuman_v is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 22:48   #3
BHPian

Part 3: The ownership and the product review

Now, I struggle. I really want this review to be comprehensive, unbiased, almost at par with an official T-BHP review. However, I realize my severe limitations both in terms of capability and resources/time. Bear with me as I try to do justice to this task.

Executive Summary:

What you will love about the Pajero Sport:
  • Commanding external looks – butch, muscular, fast and yet sleek with a bit of understated elegance
  • Excellent driving position and ergonomics - commanding views of the road, all corners of the vehicle visible to the driver
  • Extremely composed behaviour on any road
  • Elegant interiors, best in its class
  • Integrated parking camera and sensor with DVD/Music control unit, alongwith GPS
  • Excellent leg room in 2nd row seat
  • Practical seat adjustments with folding options - can sleep in the car if needed. Also, the ease and grace with which second and third row seats fold and unfold
  • The legendary Pajero lineage, along with improved engine and mileage over SFX. Gives ~10 kpl in city and upto 12 kpl on the highways, maybe more with slightly sedate driving.
  • Engine is rev happy – can easily touch speeds upwards of 60kph in second gear without any laboring feeling in the engine – mighty impressive for a 2 tonne vehicle
  • Comes fully loaded – leather seats, 8-way adjustable electric driver seat, system, GPS, airbags, ABS+EBD, all around disc brakes standard
  • Lots of options if you want to accessorize/personalize - chrome, snob value MID, mirror covers with lights, etc.
  • Instant recognition that you know your automobiles, when others come to know that you own a Pajero Sport

What you will not love:
  • Low end torque is lacking in lower gears for city driving - you will need to adjust your driving style a little
  • Slightly heavier feel of the steering for city driving (which is again a pleasure on the highways)
  • Heavier clutch feeling, at least in the initial days (this is supposed to get easier after two services)
  • No automatic central locking when the beast starts moving (need to figure out how to get around it)
  • Not so great stock headlamps (easily up-gradable)
  • Rather cheesy ‘Pajero Sport’ decal on the sides – a bit of a hit or miss
  • Low on fancy gadgetry (e.g., no engine start/stop button) - but in line with build for rough usage
  • The (again!) legendary thin Mitsubishi dealership network

The detailed review follows.

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 23:07.
anshuman_v is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 22:54   #4
BHPian

The Exterior Looks - Commanding, Elegant

The very first thing that strikes about the Pajero is the stance. It stands tall and butch, yet is aerodynamic. Quite muscular and sporty is the first impression – almost no other vehicle boasts these clean lines and fit and finish. The chrome lovers get the chrome treated grill in front (and can add oodles of other chrome as accessories, as I have). The fog lamps are nicely integrated, not as an afterthought. The wheel arches are quite pronounced – making it muscular and commanding. It looks fast, powerful and elegant in the classic understated fashion.

Large airy windows, roof rails and rear spoiler are standard and add to the commanding looks. In fact, the windows are the largest in its class and cost a bomb if you want to add any sun protection film – but that’s the price you pay for overall visibility and airiness. 12 spoke 17” alloy wheels come fitted with Apollo AT 265/65 R 17 tyres. Not the best tyres in the market, but they tend to get the job done and they are AT.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-pajero-front-stance.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_151929.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_151943.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152000.jpg

The front door has an excellent span when it opens – possibly one of the widest, and ingress egress are easy. Ergonomics are excellent, but more on that when we come to interiors. Chrome garnish on the front grill, mirrors and the door handles are standard. I love chrome on black – so in my pictures you will see additional spots of chrome on all the lights and door handles. Overall build quality is superb. Everything closes with a nice chunky thud, and gives the feeling of a tank inspiring confidence that it will be able to take almost anything in its stride.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_154330.jpg

Side protection bars are standard.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152131.jpg

Anniversary Edition decal adds a nice touch to the car in the rear. You can almost see me in the pic below, trying to get the best shot of the decal area!

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152011.jpg

The spare wheel is tucked under the boot, which is different from the earlier Pajero SFX which had the spare wheel on the boot door. While it takes away some bit of the character of the car, it does lower the center of gravity and reduces the body roll.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152035.jpg

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 23:07.
anshuman_v is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 23:11   #5
BHPian

Interiors - Front row seats, Driver Console

Quality and Elegance are the two words that come first to mind as you get into the Pajero. The leather seats have class leading comfort in the front row. The cabin is bright and airy and the beige, grey and wood finish in the cabin is easy on the eye. The driver seat has eight way electric adjustment – for increasing or decreasing height, incline, front-back movement, and thigh support. Its easy to find a good driving position for any person given the seat adjustments and the excellent visibility of all corners. That’s one of the main reasons why I am yet to see any PS with any sort of fender mirror – which seems to be almost a standard fitment in the T Fort.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_171500.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_154037.jpg

The multi-integrated console which comes as a standard fitment in the Anniversary Edition – comprising rear view camera with distance sensor, Tuner, DVD player, Bluetooth, USB / AUX in connectivity, and GPS Navigation. The air con has a retro look with faux wood finish – which looks classy. The A/C is quite powerful, specially in the ACC (automatic cliamte control) mode. The hazard light is prominently placed on the driver's side for easy reach.

Interestingly, the front center air vents in the picture do not close fully, but can be minimized. The idea is to have some air circulation in the center always – am still to figure out why the Mitsu engineers felt this was the best thing.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153550.jpg

Electric mirror adjustments are on the the right hand side of the driver, near the door, with the lamp leveling adjustment and mirror folding switch. Headlamp switch has the two-turn mechanism for parking and low beam, and pull up the stalk to flash or toggle to high beam. Fog lamp switch integrated in the main stalk, where a round knob switches on the fog lamps.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153135.jpg

The fuel door and the bonnet opening latches are both situated under the steering wheel. Yes, I also got beige coloured 3M mats fitted in my car.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153157.jpg

Large rear view mirrors and the central rear mirror offer good visibility of the road, in addition to the superb seating position. The mirrors have a chrome covering for enhanced looks and additional protection from any unwelcome hugs and kisses from other vehicles.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153519.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153511.jpg

Front left window visor gets a plain jane vanity mirror, without any lights (would you really need makeup on an offroading trip?)

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153719.jpg

Glovebox is comfortably sized, with enough space to hold few documents and knick-knacks. Has soft lighting when the parking lights are switched on.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153504.jpg

Both the driver and the passenger get height adjustable seat belts.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_171535.jpg

Driver gets a centrally located driving glass holder in the front roof, next to the set of lights. Front lights have a nice warm glow and have adequate brightness.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153731.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153756.jpg

The speedometer has a retro look, with basic functionality and indicator for the 2x4 or 4x4 drive. The night-time brightness of the instrument cluster is adjustable.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_183123.jpg

The rear parking camera and sensor functions well, even at night with the reverse lights providing enough brightness for the camera to function. Parking distance sensors with audible signals and visual display are standard.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_221814.jpg

For night time, each door has small lights which provide reasonable visibility for the limited area near the doors.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_183241.jpg

The two gear levers – 5+1 speed driving, and smaller lever for engaging the different levels of 4x4 on the fly as required. Gearbox has a nice feel, though some feedback is present when the engine starts up initially.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153455.jpg

The utilities compartment in in between the two front seats has the standard two level compartment – smaller one for coins/chargers and the larger one for CDs and so on.

As you can see in various pics, I got the 3M mats fitted in my PS. One tip for people who get 3M mats fitted: it’s a good idea to get a small piece cut and fitted into your coin and utilities boxes. This provides cushioning and reduces any rattling noises from random pieces kept in (tip thanks to Devdath).

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153605.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153645.jpg

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 23:10.
anshuman_v is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 23:42   #6
BHPian

Interiors - Second and Third rows

The second row has quite generous leg room, thanks to the sliding ability of the second row. The picture shows is the legroom available after the front seats have been pushed comfortably back. Generous thigh support in the second row – although my mom thinks the Scorpio had better second row seats since they were more bench like and higher - I guess you cant keep everyone happy!

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152210.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_171703.jpg

Both the middle and the 3rd row have generous cup holders, with more cup holders available in each door. There are a total of about 10 cup holders (1 in each door, 2 near the gearbox, 2 in second row armrest, and 2 on one side in the 3rd row) - you can certainly carry all the drinks you want!

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153043.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152539.jpg

Second and third row seats get roof mounted AC blowers with speed control, although the temperature is controlled by the main unit near the driver.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_154028.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153937.jpg

Middle row lights, standard three mode switch:

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153810.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_153817.jpg

Nice, sturdy roof handles on all doors, with usable hangers – take your business suit on the hanger to your camping trip and head straight to that business presentation afterwards!

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_154004.jpg

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 23:10.
anshuman_v is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 23:53   #7
BHPian

Interiors - Seating Configurations

Seating configuration is the most unique feature in the vehicle. Despite GTO's request that I merge multiple posts into one, I think this deserves a separate post since this is a distinguishing aspect of the Pajero Sport.

Each row of seats can independently fold creating very usable configurations (pic courtesy Pajero Sport India website)

A. Fold the front-row and 2nd–row seats completely flat to create a comfortable sleeping area for when you need to rest.

B. Fold the 3rd-row seats down flat to create a wide utility space with room to spare for five people (7-seater only)

C. Fold down part of the 60:40 split 2nd-row to store long items and still have ample room for your passengers

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-flexibleutilityspace.jpg

Additionally, you can fold only the second row seats – and sit in the third row. This gives you a huge expanse to really stretch out your legs. My wife loves the ease and grace with which the seats fold with a light pull of the levers. A truly inspiring, class leading seating design.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152431.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152826.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_152713.jpg

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 22:22.
anshuman_v is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 23:57   #8
BHPian

Engine, Handling and Performance

The Mitsubishi Pajero Sport is powered by a 2477cc 16 valve intercooled turbocharged DOHC common rail DI-D engine churning out 131w (178ps) @ 4000 rpm. It generates a huge class leading torque of 400 Nm at 2000 – 2500 rpm. This engine coupled with the Super Select gearbox for selecting 4x4 on the fly, and a tight turning radius of 5.6 m, ensure an excellent driving experience in the SUV.

The engine starts confidently and is quite refined. NVH levels are very acceptable - although you are left in no doubt that you are driving a vehicle with more semblance to truck than a sedan. City driving needs getting used to in this vehicle, given the hard clutch, comparatively heavier steering and the slight turbo lag if you are below the power band in lower gears. That said, the vehicle has enough thrills when it surges at your command - when you leave the rest of the traffic behind in this size of a vehicle.

Handling of rough terrain and the composure, nay, elan, while doing so – is quite exceptional in the PS. This vehicle has been built as an offroader and then adapted for city roads – and the class really shows. In my driving so far, I am impressed with the ease with which it gobbles up anything that comes it way.

The PS website and brochures talk of steep arrival and departure angles - something that I have not yet personally experienced. I am adding some pictures borrowed from the PS website here.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-superiorterrainhandlingability.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-superiorterrainhandlingability02.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-superiorterrainhandlingability03.jpg

There is enough written about the drive and handling in the reviews I have quoted upfront, I hope to keep adding to this section as I discover my own bonds with my vehicle.

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 22:23.
anshuman_v is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 00:03   #9
BHPian

The small but important points:

• Each row gets a charging point, and bottle holders - lots of them
  • Mistu sells a chiller box that can fit into the last row charging point - for those thirst quenching requirements on long trips. This is a standard inclusion in the new Limited Edition PS launched a week ago.
  • Nicely packed tool kit and jack - not an after thought
  • Ability to switch on or switch off the parking sensor beeper
  • If you switch off your engine and pull out the key, while leaving the headlamps on - they switch off automatically, thereby preventing accidental battery drain. If however, you switch on the headlights anytime after the engine is switched off and the key removed, the headlights stay on - since this is meant to be done on purpose. Nifty feature!
  • Door handles and the front grill are in chrome, adding nice touch of understated class without going overboard
  • The second and third row seats have nice cubby holes to fit in the seat belt fasteners – so they don’t poke the passengers all the time when not in use. Interesting bit of thoughtful engineering. Pics below show the seat belt fasteners lying loosely outside, and then lodged snugly inside the sockets provided.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_154242.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20140928_154132.jpg

• Last but not the least - the looks you get on the road, or from acquaintances when they hear you have a Pajero Sport - finally, its all worth it, mate!

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 23:11.
anshuman_v is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 00:13   #10
BHPian

Buying experience, and all that stuff

Well, this part of the story is simple. Like I said, I have been nosing around for a year before taking the plunge. When it finally came to the booking and delivery - it was a bit of an anti climax since it was super smooth. Having decided to take the plunge - called up the Bangalore dealer - SVR Motors on Richmond Road, who has so far offered excellent service. The team of Dilip, Lazar, Prabhakar, Abdul, Shravan and Lohith are quite knowledgeable and helpful to deal with. They promised delivery in a week, and kept up their promise. They gave me a good deal on the price with the promotional offer where they included the zero dep insurance at almost no cost. And lo and behold, I have been able to share this review with you as a result!

(Thank you, dear TBHP mates and readers for having read so far. This is the end of the original piece. Did I achieve something close to an official TBHP review? Bouquets and brickbats welcome! After all, like I quoted earlier, what is life without a little passion?)

Last edited by anshuman_v : 30th September 2014 at 23:02.
anshuman_v is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 10:47   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 11:13   #12
BHPian

Congratulations.
This product is very capable but hampered by terrible marketing efforts by Mitsubishi.
You certainly did good research before buying Pajero.
Nice write up and pics. Let's see, what is in your list of near future upgrades.
This car has decent space even after 3rd seating row.
True that you buy this product when you listen to your heart.
My eyes still turn to have 2nd look of this car on road.
Wish you good time with Pajero. Drive safe.

Last edited by Nicky : 1st October 2014 at 11:18.
Nicky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 11:21   #13
BHPian

Very nice and detailed review. This is something I had been searching for a while. I am also confused between a Fortuner Vs Pajero Vs Santa Fe. I have not been able to make up my mind as of now. My purchase still has some time as I will now buy n SUV only in 2015.

Anshuman, if you can post some pictures of the engine bay that would further help other enthusiasts.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 11:24   #14
BHPian

Hi Anshuman, Congrats on your new possession. Pajero is my all time dream car. I hope one day I will also buy one and can refer your thread for reference.
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 11:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

many congrats on your new acquisition. Pajero needs no certification and it truly is a remarkable piece of machinery, utterly unflappable and indestructable!
Am sure this car will give you lots of smiles and many,many happy miles!

Drive safe!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks