Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:21   #211
BHPian

Re: My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review

Hi.

Can any owner of Pajero Sport post maintenance schedule chart of Pajero Sport here? I want to know replacement intervals of various parts and spares as I am considering to buy one.
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:41   #212
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.adrenaline View Post
I want to know replacement intervals of various parts and spares as I am considering to buy one.
Here are a few pointers:

1. Engine oil changes are at 10,000km.
2. The ac belt is recommended to be changed at 30,000km.
3. The idler bearing and the main belt needs to be changed at 100,000km.
4. The timing belt should be replaced at 100,000km.
5. Regular oil change intervals are at 10,000km or 6 months whichever is lesser.

Hope this helps.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:10   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Here are a few pointers:

1. Engine oil changes are at 10,000km.
2. The ac belt is recommended to be changed at 30,000km.
3. The idler bearing and the main belt needs to be changed at 100,000km.
4. The timing belt should be replaced at 100,000km.
5. Regular oil change intervals are at 10,000km or 6 months whichever is lesser.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot. This helps partly, but I was looking for detailed breakup from owner's manual/ service manual. That would be very helpful. Even a photo of the same will do.

Thanks again.
Old 7th January 2016, 11:45   #214
BANNED

Completed a 4000km road trip to meet a few friends across the route given below.

Chetak (Pajero Sport MT) behaved well and had him serviced at Imran's dealership (S&R Cars) at Bhopal.
Overall observations:
1. Fuel efficiency: 10.2kmpl.
2. Speeds maintained: 120 kmph on 4 laners. Touched insanity for a short duration on the Hyderabad ORR to free his lungs.
3. Issues Faced: The rattle from the centre console continues to be an irritant. It was checked and fixed at Bhopal but came back by the time we reached Betul. The K&N filter seems to be taking a toll on the fuel efficiency by 0.5kmpl.
4. The tailpipe end clamp had somehow wound itself in a weird manner because of which the tailpipe touched the rear bumper and melted a part of it. Was fixed quickly at Jagdalpur at the Tata Motors service centre. Nitrogen was also topped up at Jagdalpur.

5. S&R Cars, Bhopal is a very well maintained dealership in terms of cleanliness, courtesy and professionalism and outlet maintenance.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ba...12.9715987!3e0
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 13:38   #215
BHPian

My updates from a recent trip:

Did a round trip from Bangalore to Goa, and local sightseeing. Approx 1500 kms. Took me about 8 hours of driving time on the journey. Learnings:

1. Pajero Sport continues to be an awesome vehicle on the roads. Maintained speeds upwards of 130 without so much as a whisper. Braking continues to be fantastically linear and very composed: wanted to make a sudden stop once and the car came to a standstill pretty easily.

2. At these speeds, I got about 10 kmpl as fuel effficiency. I continue to use System D at 1 ml/L of fuel as my own additive. I can feel the engine quieter and better mileage.

3. The road from Bangalore to Goa is straightforward NH4 till Davangere, and then NH4A to Goa. The NH4A is a pretty broken road for about 50 kms. There are faster, albeit longer routes available, check Team Bhp forums. Of course, the bad roads make no difference in the Pajero, I still managed decent travel times - one of the advantages of owning this beauty.

For my trip, I got the essentials kit as advised by Team BHP and our resident expert, Devdath. Stay in Goa was at an awesome family type resort - where I and family hardly faced any overcrowding issues on the beach as well, even during Christmas times. PM me if you need any details.
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 08:26   #216
BHPian

The K&N Air Filter: A good addition to the Pajero Sport

Hello all,

Sharing this very pertinent update that happened over the weekend. With our resident Guru Devdath's help - I installed a K&N air filter in my Pajero Sport. The filter increases the air intake into the engine, thereby improving performance (at the cost of slight dip in mileage possibly). The effect is instantaneous: I can feel the Pajero Sport become more responsive within city driving. The lower end torque below 1400 rpm has increased, the vehicle pulls cleaner in 1st and 2nd gears. I only installed this yesterday, so will keep running this to report both performance and mileage figures.

If this is successful, this goes a long way in taking care of possibly the only bugbear the otherwise brilliant Pajero Sport has - the turbo lag below 1400 rpm.

Dev, given this is your find - please share details of the filter and your experiences so far. I will post the mileage figures once I get to empty tank in a couple of weeks.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:04   #217
BANNED

Re: The K&N Air Filter: A good addition to the Pajero Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Dev, given this is your find - please share details of the filter and your experiences so far.
Here are my experiences for around 5000km of city, highway & trail driving after installing the K&N OE replacement filter that I had purchased from Amazon for INR 5600.00.

1. Cold start noise certainly felt higher than before. It felt like the the engine was breathing better hence had become more vocal in a tinny sort of way. Post warm up, I could not make out any difference both in idling, acceleration and cruising.

2. Low end grunt. This felt improved by around 10%, however, since I do not drive a lot in the city, I cannot really put a finger to the difference it makes in traffic. On the highway, mid-range seemed to be unaffected while top-end stays the same (The needle goes all the way to the end of the speedo as always).

3. Fuel Efficiency. This definitely has gone down. I usually get between 10.7-11.3 on highways at speeds between 110-120 kmph with System-D but this time, it never exceeded 10kmpl. The lowest was 9.8kmpl.

4. Other observations. This filter is supposed to last longer than the OE filter but I've heard it a chore to clean using the cleaning kit (consists of a spray and the filter oil). I haven't yet done it so cannot comment on the effort and time. The filter feels better finished and uses better quality rubber. It is also lighter and more compact compared to the multi-layered OE filter. Cost of course is phenomenally different. The OE filter costs INR 800.00 while this costs INR 5600.00.

Do I consider it worth? Not if the fuel efficiency drops.
Old 18th January 2016, 12:45   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With our resident Guru Devdath's help - I installed a K&N air filter in my Pajero Sport. The filter increases the air intake into the engine, thereby improving performance (at the cost of slight dip in mileage possibly).
Quote:
The K&N filter seems to be taking a toll on the fuel efficiency by 0.5kmpl.
Quote:
Here are my experiences for around 5000km of city, highway & trail driving after installing the K&N OE replacement filter that I had purchased from Amazon for INR 5600.00.
Isn't the K&N detrimental to the long term health of the engine, especially in dusty conditions like ours?

It is still a bit early, but Dev, is the engine oil becoming black or thick quicker than before? How frequently have you been cleaning the filter?
Old 18th January 2016, 12:53   #219
BHPian

Quote:

1. Cold start noise certainly felt higher than before. It felt like the the engine was breathing better hence had become more vocal in a tinny sort of way. Post warm up, I could not make out any difference both in idling, acceleration and cruising.
Thanks Dev. I will check the cold start behaviour a bit more and comment.

Quote:
Do I consider it worth? Not if the fuel efficiency drops.
I differ. I would think that if you self-drive the vehicle in the city, this is a real boon for the marginal cost - given the sheer driving pleasure you get. If I am hitting the highway, I could always replace the filter to the original one before the trip - it takes exactly a minute as you so kindly showed!

So in my considered opinion, its definitely a good addition to the toolkit. Of course, I need to research more about long term effects and so on a bit more - there is a bit of negative press out there on these topics.

Last edited by anshuman_v : 18th January 2016 at 12:59.
Old 18th January 2016, 14:58   #220
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Isn't the K&N detrimental to the long term health of the engine, especially in dusty conditions like ours?
K&N filters are used in a lot of rally cars and from what the Co claims, it filters dust better than the OE filter while providing more air to the engine. Technically speaking, it is possible to do so with an oil based filter, however, precise quality of the air being sent into the engine intake can only be measured with hi-tech equipment to which I do not have access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It is still a bit early, but Dev, is the engine oil becoming black or thick quicker than before? How frequently have you been cleaning the filter?
I used it for a mere 5k kms and would have cleaned it at every 7.5k kms since South India isn't as dusty as the north is. No changes observed in the engine oil viscosity.
Old 19th January 2016, 10:24   #221
BHPian

A quick query. Is it OK and does it help to add System-D for PS-Automatic?
I feel the noise of engine has gone up in the last 2-3 months, though total driven is only 7500 kms in last 10 months of ownership.
Old 19th January 2016, 10:34   #222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulbatta View Post
A quick query. Is it OK and does it help to add System-D for PS-Automatic?
Perfectly ok.
System-D goes into the engine and hence the type of gearbox doesn't make a difference. You can start with 1.5 ml per litre for the initial 2-3 tankfuls and then start using 1ml/litre. It should help.
Old 19th January 2016, 10:41   #223
BHPian

Thank you Devdath! Is there a specific brand recommended? Apologies for the novice question.
Old 19th January 2016, 16:51   #224
BHPian

Quote:

I installed a K&N air filter in my Pajero Sport.
The effect is instantaneous: I can feel the Pajero Sport become more responsive within city driving. The lower end torque below 1400 rpm has increased, the vehicle pulls cleaner in 1st and 2nd gears.
Thanks Anshuman for sharing. Looks like a lot of us have gone in for the K&N so we should after a few months have a good hang of its pros and cons.

I have also installed the K&N (22nd Dec 2015) and my experience in city driving with it on is as follows:
  • There is an effect and it is mainly appreciable in lower gears and rpms
  • The main effect I have found is that it is easier for me to drive around the city in that I have to downshift less. If earlier when I was in 3rd and my speed dropped to around 20, I'd go down to 2. Now I can continue to be in 3rd. Overall a 20-30% fall in down shifts making it easier to drive.
  • But of course it is not like the kick of a turbo. Anyone expecting that would be disappointed. The effect of K&N is basically to give a tad more grunt at lower gears and RPMs.
  • I have filled gas only once since and the FE I have got is 9.98 which is composed also of the pre-K&N period. I will know FE post K&N from my next fill.
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 17:33   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulbatta View Post
Thank you Devdath! Is there a specific brand recommended? Apologies for the novice question.
System D is the brand name of the additive. It is available in BP petrol pumps, retails for Rs 300 for a 250 ml bottle. Recommended mixture is 1ml of system D per liter if fuel. I usually order it online from rogermotors.com, who sells a pack of two bottles for Rs 500.

I had a similar issue of increased noise in the PS. Per Dev's advice, used about 1.5ml/liter of system d for two tankfulls, and now I use it 1ml/liter. The cost works out to about 1 Re per liter of fuel. The engine is quieter and also seems to give more mileage, quite paisa wasool!

Call me if you need any other info.

Most Viewed