Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2017, 22:32   #331
BHPian

Re: My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review

Hello all!

I've just sold my Thar and I'm contemplating between a 2013/14 Pajero Sport or a 2010-12 Pajero SFX. Key concerns are parts availability, prohibitive maintenance costs etc.

Do let me know if you are aware of any of the above vehicles that might be available for sale!

Thanks
Shireesh
Old 12th October 2017, 23:44   #332
BHPian

The lights upgrade: LED, HID, Osram NBU Halogen

Hello all,

Been awhile. I have recently been bitten by the upgrade bug, and am looking to upgrade my Pajero Sport's headlights. Have evaluated both HID and LEDs. Both of them are awesome solutions. I have done a fair bit of research on both, and here are the findings:
  • Human eye is best suited for bright yellow light, which is around 4300K temperature. As you go higher (say 5000K, 5500K, ++), the light gets to white and then towards blue. The best utilization is between 4300-5000K. Beyond this, while the lights look fancy, they are not as useful since a portion of the energy starts getting wasted in blue spectrum which our eyes cannot see.
  • Both LED and HID are available at multiple colour temperatures. HIDs is a slightly older, and established technology. LEDs are still evolving, but they are right now quite stable for headlight usage.

Having researched a lot over the internet, I finally found an Indian supplier who is knowledgeable as well as sells his own branded lights, which have a 1-2 year warranty. I have taken his help and have got two kits for my Pajero Sport low beam (H11 bulb size, to be fitted in the projector lamps):
  1. a 55W 4300K 5000 lumens LED light
  2. a 42W 4500K HID light

I intend to install and compare both these lights, and I will share my findings here for all of us. I currently run 55W Osram NBU (night breaker unlimited) halogen lamps in my projectors. The NBUs are about 40% brighter than the stock halogens that came with my vehicle. Today I replaced the NBUs with LED lights, and here are my findings:
  • The LEDs are easily about 25% brighter than Osram NBU (as visible to the naked eye)
  • The light colour is very similar to the Osram NBUs - close to white, warm yellow.
  • They focus pretty much the same as halogens, with a much fuller light distribution in the beam
  • With these LEDs, the throw of light is very well controlled - there is no leakage at the top and there is no glare for oncoming traffic. This is very important for me as a responsible citizen - I don't want cheap LEDs with scattered beams that blind oncoming traffic.

I have driven out in the night to test the LEDs in a heavy Bangalore rain. I must say they worked very well - no scatter of the light in the rain, and no strain to my eyes while driving as the road was brightly and evenly lit with these lights.

As of now, am very happy with these LEDs. I will be installing the HIDs to check their performance soon. The LEDs have set the bar high already - unless the HIDs really wow me, am sticking with the LEDs. More details, including supplier details, will be published as I continue the experiment.

Last edited by anshuman_v : 12th October 2017 at 23:47.
anshuman_v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 21:56   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
congrats on your but aroon. looks cool on dual tone

posting a pic of my ride
Hey SYJ, Your ride looks fab, with subtle modifications.
I am too looking for some modifications of my own.
But my options are close to none here in Mumbai.
if you could please point me to some contacts in your part of the country.
I still cannot pm. If possible please contact me at
swaroop.shazam@gmail.com

Last edited by bblost : 20th December 2017 at 22:46. Reason: typo.
Old 21st December 2017, 15:09   #334
BHPian

Hey Anshuman, Can you share the name of the company from where you got the LED lights?
Old 7th February 2018, 23:49   #335
BHPian

Sorry, been busy with life and other things. So here is an update on my lights: While I was very happy with the 4300K colour temperature LED lights - they lights were creating a slightly uneven pattern when used with my projector headlamps in the Pajero Sport. This is because the LEDs have 4 light spots in each bulb - and hence don't focus very well in a projector setup which expects a single focal point. I then switched over to 4500K color temperature HID bulbs - and lo and behold, it is quite an awesome change.

The 4500K is almost white, a kind of cream white. It does not dazzle oncoming traffic, but is quite bright and the throw in a projector setup is very uniform. The uniformity can be gauged from the fact that when I now switch on the fog lamps, I don't get too much difference anymore - whereas earlier, with halogen or with LED, I used to have an unlit area quite near the bumper of the car which the fog lamps would cover.

I am now sticking with the HID lights. The LEDs will work very well in a normal reflector setup - where the HIDs are a complete waste.

So here is my recommendation for low lamp, projector setup for the Pajero Sport:
1. 4500K HID lamps - because of their ability to utilize the focusing ability of the projector setup
2. 4300K LED lamps
3. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
4. Stock lamps

I have to put in a word of recommendation for my supplier: Abhishek of TD Autoz. He is a great help with all technical queries, is quite knowledgeable and best of all - will courier you stuff all over India to try out if you want to before making a decision. Although the LED costs are higher than Alibaba made in China stuff, Abhishek's quality of material plus service makes it worth the price.
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 12:22   #336
BHPian

Anybody has news of , when the new pajero sport is coming to India ? I still have time till diwali can wait .
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 19:01   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I got the cruise control kit from a trusted supplier from Delhi. PM me if you need his contacts and I will pass them on to you. Fitting was a 15 minute job at the ASC.
Hi Dev,

Could you please pass on the details of the parts supplier? Thanks in advance.
Old 26th May 2018, 09:54   #338
BHPian

Mitsubishi Pajero Sports: Top Mechanics in Bangalore

Hi

My 5-year old Pajero Sports has now done 90,000 kms. It has been an awesome ride, but the poor fellow needs a complete overhaul now, it seems.

The Problem

Last 3 weeks I was noticing 1000 RPM at idle, but then even at high speeds, no rise in RPM above 2000, sluggish movement (not much, bless the car).

Then yesterday on the highway, car was running with a groaning sound, then I stopped it. It wouldn't restart - make a "kch-kch-kch" sound like it would when the battery is dead - but battery was fine.

Finally a few guys helped push start it, it started, but just went 4 kms, white smoke started bellowing out of exhaust, would not pick up speed at all, was very, very sluggish, so after 4 kms I stopped the car. It did not restart and had to be towed.

Warnings lights pictures as attached.

The Mechanic Search

I talked with Chris Garage, Mr Ranjeet, and he sounds knowledgeable but is quite far away. I am near Hebbal. Any opinion on Chris Garage, Mahadevapura?

I think at its age and kms gone, my car needs a serious overhaul, lot of replacements, not just fuel filter, so I want to go to a top mechanic, ideally, but not necessarily, near Hebbal.

Question

Does anybody know a great mechanic for 4x4 SUVs in North Bangalore?

Please help!

PS - I have had poor experience at both SVR and Vijaychand. And both are very expensive, overcharge, and SVR is more near Chennai than Bangalore! So I am looking for an independent expert mechanic.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-whatsapp-image-20180525-7.19.53-pm.jpeg  

Old 27th May 2018, 22:51   #339
BANNED

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sports: Top Mechanics in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDey View Post
The Problem
Finally a few guys helped push start it, it started, but just went 4 kms, white smoke started bellowing out of exhaust, would not pick up speed at all, was very, very sluggish, so after 4 kms I stopped the car. It did not restart and had to be towed.
I think the vehicle has one of the problems listed below:

1. A clogged diesel filter.
2. A super clogged air filter or a faulty MAF.
3. The vehicle has slipped a few cogs and is out of its timing.
4. The vehicle has a clogged fuel pump due to faulty fuel.

I would recommend you take it to the authorised dealership to get the issue diagnosed first, take an estimate from them and if you feel they are exhorbitant, then look for other options.

For one, the Bosch Car Care at Whitefield is a reputed garage and is owned by an enthusiast.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 23:00   #340
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sports: Top Mechanics in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDey View Post

Warnings lights pictures as attached.

The Mechanic Search

Hi,

I see signs of water in the fuel, the MIL also suggests the same. You need to get the fuel system cleaned and free from any traces of water. Clean the air filter as well, get the compression checked for all cylinders, change oil and oil filter if dirty. Not a complicated job, any decent mechanic should be able to do it.

MIL Water in Fuel

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 27th May 2018 at 23:01.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 00:19   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I think the vehicle has one of the problems listed below:

For one, the Bosch Car Care at Whitefield is a reputed garage and is owned by an enthusiast.
Car is not moving; taking to dealership - and then moving again - is a little tough because Bommannahalli is very, very far from Sahakarnagar.

I need to go to a single place, and just get it done at that place - a little delay is okay.

The Whitefield place - is this it - http://yesmotor.net/ ?

I really appreciate your response.

SDey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hi,

I see signs of water in the fuel, the MIL also suggests the same. You need to get the fuel system cleaned and free from any traces of water. Clean the air filter as well, get the compression checked for all cylinders, change oil and oil filter if dirty. Not a complicated job, any decent mechanic should be able to do it.
Spike
Yes, water in the fuel system is one of the reasons I have in mind for the white smoke and the other troubles. Mr Devdath's list also looks interesting. if water is the diagnosis, then even our local garage can do this. The mechanic there isn't gifted, but he is okay.

Maybe I can do that, then drive the car across the city to the authorized service center or the other enthusiast that Mr Devdath mentioned. They can then take a thorough look. Maybe that's a good plan. Towing it is quite costly, 5000/- per trip, possibly more. That's about 70 euros.

Do you think I can tow the Pajero behind a smaller car - like a Ford Fusion?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th June 2018 at 00:40. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT and Multi Quote functions within 30 minutes of submitting your first post. Thank you
Old 28th May 2018, 11:52   #342
Senior - BHPian

Towing would be risky since neither the brakes nor the steering will get the power assist as your vehicle is not starting. It will be very difficulty to tow. However if you do take the tow option then make sure you are getting towed using a stiff bar or rod and not a loose rope. Best option would be to get a flat bed in any case.
Old 31st May 2018, 19:00   #343
Senior - BHPian

Any update on your Pajero.. Did you finally get the issue sorted out and where did you finally take it.

I had a chance to visit Yes motor and met Selvam. Quite a spacious and organised garage and Selvam is himself quite a good natured and competent guy. He was working on a lot of cars including Skoda, Ford, Hyundai etc. He has ample staff and helpers and they were all quite decent and hard working. I noticed that they were working diligently even when unsupervised and were thorough in whatever they were doing.
Old 3rd June 2018, 07:37   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Any update on your Pajero.. Did you finally get the issue sorted out and where did you finally take it.

I had a chance to visit Yes motor and met Selvam.

This was embarrassing. I finally called my local garage fellow because I could not get an expert mechanic in time and was trying to clean the fuel filter myself (only clean diesel came out).

The local guy came, told me the battery - 5 year old original - is down, and hence the problem.

I told him about the white smoke and the lag. He said that happened because I push started the car. Big diesel cars like these should not be push started.

Then he replaced the battery and car is now working like new.

I feel like an absolute moron bothering everybody here. But I am glad to have been proven again that Pajero Sports is King despite the poor interiors.

Another question: my car is now 5 years old, nearing 90,000 kms. What are the various parts I should worry about changing? I don't want to get stranded on the roadside again just for a simple part.

Last question: where in Bangalore can I get a quick crash course on car mechanics? I am serious. I have always wanted to learn car and bike mechanics. In the US, every driver seems to be able to do simple stuff themselves - like oil change, for example.

I also have a Hyosung ST7 and would love to learn bike mechanics also.
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:21   #345
Senior - BHPian

All's well that ends well. Happy for you and wish you many more miles of trouble free motoring. It was quite fun trying to figure out what went wrong

Not sure if there is a crash course like that available. My idea would be to get hold of some service manuals and look for videos on YouTube.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks