Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2014, 07:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe @ 2000 kms

gungax, congrats on the Santa Fe. And that's a beautiful review. Thanks for sharing with us.

Really glad that you went for the AWD variant. The variation of kit is massive between the two models. Hyundai' plan seems to get the customers inside the shop showing the 2WD' price and up sell the AWD. The latter is so much value compared to the entry variant.

The main thing I don't like is the OEM entertainment system. It ideally should have been a proper infotainment system with a bigger screen like the one offered in the US.

Here at Kochi, I am spotting a lot of new Sante Fe and many dark shades too. A refreshing break from the white Fortuners that seems to be everywhere. Have fun!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 09:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What features do you think are really lacking, besides the manual rear view mirror, memory seats?
Plus DRLs , sunroof , larger infotainment screen. It's not like Hyundai skimped down on the pricing , they should have essentially provided all the features they have on the international version so as to appeal to all the X1 , Q3 and GLA buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungax View Post
After purchasing the car, I noticed the roof has been strengthened. Now internationally that bit is made almost entirely of glass. So now, if Hyundai has to strengthen the roof of the Indian version, which section of the chassis have they made weak.
I highly doubt they would weaken the chassis deliberately. If anything your car would be more stronger than the model with the glass sunroof.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 8th November 2014 at 10:10. Reason: missed multi quote
Old 10th November 2014, 19:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Plus DRLs , sunroof , larger infotainment screen. It's not like Hyundai skimped down on the pricing , they should have essentially provided all the features they have on the international version so as to appeal to all the X1 , Q3 and GLA buyers.
I highly doubt they would weaken the chassis deliberately. If anything your car would be more stronger than the model with the glass sunroof.
Hi stanjohn123,
Completely agree with you. Hyundai should have targeted X1, Q3 and GLA buyers. Instead they have tried to target Fortuner customers who will not go in for a soft-roader.

I am hoping that I never find out if the chassis has been weakened.
Old 12th November 2014, 19:13   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on you new ride. Wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this stunner !

Btw if I may ask what was the approximate difference in price between the Q3 Prem+ and the Santa Fe.
Also Hyundai could have easily added a sun roof and electrical seats. These are more or less standards in 30+ lakh car. Would have been good to have features
Old 15th November 2014, 20:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Congratulations on you new ride. Wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this stunner !

Btw if I may ask what was the approximate difference in price between the Q3 Prem+ and the Santa Fe.
Also Hyundai could have easily added a sun roof and electrical seats. These are more or less standards in 30+ lakh car. Would have been good to have features
Thank you Baddychat,
Price difference between premium+ and SF-AWD on road Hyderabad is about 10 lakh!
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:20   #21
VBN
BHPian

dear all, is it possible to fit a decent carrier on the roof of the Santa Fe? with a full 7 member family, i would need space to put baggage for outstation trips.
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:22   #22
VBN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Poor rear seat design I must say. The middle (5th) passenger cannot even rest his back properly. And to speak of this is a seven seater!!!
Dear all, this middle seat does look awful. How comfortable are the rest of the seats? Also, do all the seat in the middle and back have seat belts?
Old 11th March 2015, 19:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
Dear all, this middle seat does look awful. How comfortable are the rest of the seats? Also, do all the seat in the middle and back have seat belts?
Hi VBN, front seats are the most comfortable. The middle seats are also comfy for two. The last seats are recommended only for children or small adults.

There are three-point seatbelts for all seven passengers!
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:39   #24
BHPian

Just fitted a AVH Z5190BT Pioneer - works very well. No need for steering control module - no errors. Touch wood!

Car is running very well at 40,000 kms!
Old 6th May 2018, 14:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Vivek - Could you share your views on the car as a daily drive and the average running cost of your Santa Fe? Also if possible a picture of the ICE upgrade you got done.
I am in the market for a used model preferably 2015 with the updated ICE to replace my 12' Innova.
Old 13th May 2018, 01:20   #26
BHPian

Hi Bigron

Trust you got my PM in response to the queries

In short, it is a good performing SUV with punchy acceleration and strong road presence. Slightly wider than previous Fortuner and almost same length I think

Ride quality if OK and the feather light Hyundai steering (3 modes) is a blessing in Bangalore
Old 14th November 2018, 21:25   #27
A C

I have a 2015 Santa Fe with the updated infotainment system.
The entire system had crashed within the first 2 years of the car, so Hyundai covered that under warranty and claims to have replaced it with a brand new system.

What I hate about the car the most are the headlamps!! Terrible HIDs and even worse high beam lamps! Even though the rest of the car is great and feels a lot more premium to the previous gen Fortuner, I may not have bought the car if I was aware of this problem
Old 8th December 2018, 08:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A C View Post
I have a 2015 Santa Fe with the updated infotainment system.
The entire system had crashed within the first 2 years of the car, so Hyundai covered that under warranty and claims to have replaced it with a brand new system.

What I hate about the car the most are the headlamps!! Terrible HIDs and even worse high beam lamps! Even though the rest of the car is great and feels a lot more premium to the previous gen Fortuner, I may not have bought the car if I was aware of this problem

Hi, I don’t have experience with the new AVN system. The one on my parents Creta is average, although the sound quality is good.

I upgraded the original AV with a Caska system. This improved the sound quality and was good enough for my use.

Went to Anwar (he is the most recommended guy on team BHP) when I was in Bangalore and had a long discussion with him regarding upgrading the entire sound system.
My extended warranty runs out in September 2019. Planning to upgrade the sound system, add DRLs, Front and Rear facing dash cams and 360 degree camera. Total cost, about 2 lakhs.

Other than the horn and battery (twice) haven’t got anything done under warranty.

Head lamps haven’t been a problem for me. All my long distance is done only during the day. Fortuner / Endeavor are completely different cars from the Santa Fe. (Sorry those are trucks )

Will take time out and write an updated review once I am back home in Feb 2019.

Last edited by gungax : 8th December 2018 at 08:52. Reason: fix typo
Old 19th September 2020, 13:18   #29
BHPian

A hearty congratulations, 6 years later! Hope all is well and the Santa is proving to be a great car. I am actually in the market for a used one. Anything I should be knowing before plunging into one?
Old 20th September 2020, 22:59   #30
BHPian

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe @ 55000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
A hearty congratulations, 6 years later! Hope all is well and the Santa is proving to be a great car. I am actually in the market for a used one. Anything I should be knowing before plunging into one?
Thank you, the car has aged well, can’t believe that it’s been six years!
Yes all is well and the car is doing great. The car has been through so much in the past 6 years but I just haven’t got around to updating my review.

The good:
Safe and sturdy build, a fully loaded cement truck hit me from behind in 2016. We hardly felt it and only damage was to the tailgate.
Light steering may be a downer for enthusiasts but is great for very long drives.
Powerful engine. Great highway cruiser. Very sturdy and confident at triple digit speeds. Original tyres were bad, now she wears Michelin Latitude Sports 3.
Routine maintenance, even by Hyundai ASS is reasonably priced. A complete oil and all filter change is about 15k.

The bad:
Being a Hyundai, it is easy to forget that the car is not made in India, only assembled here. So parts are not cheap and some parts take time as they are shipped from Korea only after a request is made.
A complete replacement of the tailgate in 2016 cost Rs 1.8 lakh!
My left side ORVM doesn’t auto fold as the connector to the motor has broken. A replacement is quoted at 18k!

The – can’t get over it
First off I have to mention the music system. The one that came with my car was worse than the one on an i10. The later models with the AC controls integrated into the main screen are better. Initially I had a Caska system from 2015-2019, this looked like an OEM unit and I would have retained it if it had not failed. After my 5 year extended warranty was over, Anwar from Top gear Bangalore has changed the head unit, all speakers and added 2 amps with a 12" sub. So wireless Android Auto and Carplay with a great sounding system.
The other thing I just can’t get over are the large number of blank buttons. They are all around the driver. It is a constant reminder of all the features we don’t get over the European/ American model.

As I have decided to retain the car for a few more years I have also considered options to maintain the car more economically. This year’s insurance I have taken directly from HDFC Ergo without any agent. This allowed me to add electrical and plastic parts and tweak the liability to cover Steel/ Plastic/ Glass. Need these insured considering the high cost of replacement.
For servicing and repair, tried a few garages around Bangalore, as the cost difference has been minimal I will continue to send the car to Hyundai ASS. My family’s experience with the ASS has been so good, after the Santa Fe, my parents got a Creta and wife got an i10. We have used Hyundai ASS in Gurugram, Pune, Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore and Ooty. All have been good.
gungax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed