Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2015, 15:59   #61
BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Linea T-Jet: Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
The T jet is a 1.3, with the forced draft (turbo) co-efficient of 1.4, this equals a capacity equivalent to a 1.8 litre engine. For its weight, and with the higher efficiency of forced draft induction, I would expect at least 20% higher fuel efficiency at rpm which is around its maximum torque. As I said, I will check tank full to tank full mileage to re check the accuracy of the on board computer, and after this is established, will take to to Fiat for a mapping check. Any advise would be grateful !
The car is indeed highly efficient at economical speeds and low rpms. I believe this is where the low volume (1.4L) plays its role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
Any suggestions to prevent the Italian leather upholstery from getting dirty? They came in off-white color and I think is getting a 'worn' appearance (esp the driver's seat). I had inquired about seat cover at the time of buying the car and was told that it is not necessary.
The current stock of leather is local made as told by one of the service center chap. The old gen linea came with imported leather. I use the Sonax leather cleaner and so far the appearance does not look worn out (5 years 53k done). Try the Sonax leather polish and car polish. I found them to be the best among all.

Quote:
Nightmare of an experience, while traveling at night in Kerala:

I was always keen to get Michelin tires, even when I took delivery of the new car, but I was told that Fiat provides only Apollo or Goodyear tires, I didn't bother to change them at that point of time - thought this to be an opportunity.

I insisted on Michelin Primacy 3ST tires, which they had stock in their godown. It cost about Rs 400 extra compared to Bridgestone (Rs 10000/tire for the Michelin ones, Rs 9600/tire for Bridgestone). I decided to go for Michelin.
The stock GY NCT is the cheapest available 16 incher in market today.
Digest this- When I bought my car in 2010, the 16 inch NCT were Rs. 4500 a piece, while my 13 incher Yoko A drive for Palio were 4300 a piece lol !

I knew issues with GY as 100% of my friends have faced issues even in new tyres. That is why I wisely replaced the stock NCT with Yoko S drives on same day of delivery back in 2010. I strongly suggest that you replace all the other tyres with 3ST. Its heck of an expense but take my words its worth it. I am using 3ST for past 10k kms and am very happy with them. Just one puncture till date.

Quote:
There was one issue which I wanted them to address - the steering wobbling issue which had bothered me from the very beginning. It actually never completely disappeared, though wheel balancing els when attempted by them. It appeared much better following the tyre change and realignment which was done recently following the unfortunate event of tyre rupture I shared earlier. However, I had noticed significant wobbling while driving back to pondy this time.

To convince the staff at Fiat service, I took two of them with me in my car to the Pondy - Tindivanam 4 lane highway and drove at speeds up to 120km/hr. There was not trace of doubt left in them!

I told them that they can keep the car for however long they want, but when the car is returned it should not have wobbling of steering, even when it is driven at 120kmph or higher. -
Can you please check with them if they are using sticker weights? I use to have frequent wobbling during one period a few years back. This was when my tyre shop was 'upgrading' to sticker weights. Unfortunately the glue of their sticker was of sub-standard quality and weights use to fall off leading to wobbling. I recognized this once after a pot hole the car started to wobble like a drunk donkey. Upon inspecting I found all of the weights were missing from rims ..

If you happen to visit Chennai then get it balanced and aligned in a reputed shop. If you are coming to Bangalore then let me know so that I can point you to right place.

Fiat cars does not demand frequent alignments. My Palio use to get aligned once in every 18 months (driven in beautiful Bangalore roads).
My Linea is once a year or before long drives for precaution.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 22:13   #62
BHPian

Issues with Fiat service in Pondicherry :
Looks like my fears have come true. The Fiat showroom and service center (Manakular motors at Arayankuppam on the Pondy - Cuddalore road) has shut down. I was told that they are moving to a new place and I saw a new work shop being built, slightly away from the main road.

Right under surface of my Linea's front bumper developed a dent (Plastic) and I thought I will get it corrected and went to the Manakular motors about 15 days back. Upon reaching the place I was shocked to find that the showroom was getting re-built. The security staff told that the service center had been moved to a place slightly away from the main road. I couldn't locate the place and tried calling the mobile numbers I had with me. All of them were switched off. I called the Fiat toll free number and was asked to go to Manakular motors (I was actually calling from in front of the building which, till recently, housed the showroom and service station.

A Manakular motors staff happened to pass by and stopped. He took me to the new location where the 'service center' was being shifted. I was told that since they are still in the phase of shifting they can't do the repair work, esp coz the car has to be lifted up and they can't do it. I was asked to come after 5 days. I called after a week and was told the the service center is not ready. I called again after another week - 2 days back. I was told the service center is not ready and I can inquire after another week. All the while the bumper was bent and I wanted it to be corrected as soon as possible.

I decided to get out done elsewhere - that is another story on its own.

I had heard about TVS all car service center in Pondy and decided to go there (Harshini Car Service on Cuddalore road at Muthialpet).
I have the car yesterday. I was told the the bumper will have to be heated at the dented part and hence will need re-painting - one day to do it and Rs 3500/-. I went today evening to take the car back. The bumper repair work and painting was of good quality, with excellent finish.
BUT - The bonnet has a (small, but visible) 'depressed' area near the right front side! :-)

Looks like some one dropped some heavy equipment or thumped on the bonnet creating the depression. While handing over the car I had specifically showed the existing scratches etc (barely any) on my car. I keep track of these things on my car. And thy bonnet was perfect. The staff claims that they don't know how the thing appeared on the bonnet and probably it was 'preexisting' :@

Couldn't do anything about it and paid them and left the place.

Fortunately it is not a very bad thing and is visible only if you very near and look carefully. But that is hardly any consolation....

Note from Support: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute interval to add more contents to it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2016 at 09:29. Reason: Please read the note posted above. Thanks!
Old 13th June 2016, 12:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Issues with Fiat service in Pondicherry :
Looks like my fears have come true
[/b]
It is confirmed now:

The Fiat dealership in Pondicherry with Manakular motors has shut down for good. The recently opened dealership at Cuddalore also has downed their shutters. As of now there is no authorised Fiat dealership in Pondy.

The staff at the temporary service center (MaarVel motors, Arayankuppam) told me that a new dealership will be opening soon in Pondy, within a couple of months.

Meanwhile, Fiat owners will have to go to Chennai or Trichy to get their cars serviced at Fiat authorised dealers.

I hope a new dealership opens in Pondy soon, otherwise I need to look for other ways to get my T Jet serviced.

Are their any warranty issues or any other issues with getting your car serviced at a service center which is not authorised by the manufacturer?
For eg., if I get my T Jet serviced at a multi-brand service centre like TVS or Bosch service in Pondy?
Old 14th June 2016, 07:07   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I hope a new dealership opens in Pondy soon, otherwise I need to look for other ways to get my T Jet serviced.

Are their any warranty issues or any other issues with getting your car serviced at a service center which is not authorised by the manufacturer?
For eg., if I get my T Jet serviced at a multi-brand service centre like TVS or Bosch service in Pondy?
Fiat nowadays seems to be very finicky with warranty claims and TJet spares are very expensive if something fails. Since you would have another 3 years of warranty left, it would be better to take your car to Chennai for service. You could also enjoy a nice ECR drive.
Old 14th June 2016, 08:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
It is confirmed now:

You could procure parts from 99rpm and use them when getting it serviced at TVS or Bosch maybe?
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 23:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
....it would be better to take your car to Chennai for service.
It may be inevitable.
If I indeed end up going to Chennai for service, where should I go? Suggestions are most welcome.

My expectation would be that I should be able to book service well in advance (was usually not required in Pondy) and if the car is given for service in the morning, I should be able to get it back the same day and return to Pondy, even if it is slightly late at night.

Can some one also share their experience with Bosch car service at Pondy?

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th June 2016, 08:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
It may be inevitable.
If I indeed end up going to Chennai for service, where should I go? Suggestions are most welcome.

My expectation would be that I should be able to book service well in advance (was usually not required in Pondy) and if the car is given for service in the morning, I should be able to get it back the same day and return to Pondy, even if it is slightly late at night.

Can some one also share their experience with Bosch car service at Pondy?

Thanks in advance!
Take it to Ramkey Fiat in OMR road perungudi. There are two FASS in Chennai Ramkey/RDC and RDC is horrible. On the contrary Ramkey is one of the best service centers I visited and usually all the spare parts are stocked up and readily available. They are also pretty good in warranty claims.

Mostly they should have space for walk in service on weekdays, still it would be preferable to book an appointment in advance. Also they generally give the car back by 3:00 pm -4:00 pm if the car was given around 10:00 am in morning.
Old 15th June 2016, 14:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

I have also heard very good reviews on the Salem FASS (True Sai). Here's a review of them in TeamFiat. Its much more encouraging that Ramkay and RDC reviews.

Since you are going outstation for service anyway, this would be worth a shot.
Old 15th June 2016, 18:27   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Take it to Ramkey Fiat in OMR road perungudi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Since you are going outstation for service anyway, this would be worth a shot.
Thanks for the information on service centers in Chennai and Salem.

Personally, going to Salem from Pondy for service is not really practical - Salem is about 250kms, compared to 150kms to Chennai.
It is not only about distance. I've got friends and relatives in Chennai and none at Salem - can club the Chennai trip with other work! :-)

Thanks again!
Old 26th October 2016, 23:31   #70
BHPian

Two years with my T Jet!

Two years are over after I brought the 2014 Fiat New Linea T Jet. Completed 35200kms till now. Except for a trip of about 1500kms which my brother undertook in my car, the T Jet was exclusively driven around by me. No major issues till now, I hope it stays that way for years to come! The only 'blemish' on the car till now is a dent (a bad one, for that matter) on the right rear door created by some careless guy who parked his vehicle near my car in my hospital's parking lot and carelessly open his door. Shall get a snap of the dent and post here.

There is no authorised Fiat service in Pondy at present and I guess I should be going to Chennai for future service - a big dampener for anyone from Pondy and near by to bit Fiat cars now, I guess.

Undertook a Pondy - Bangalore - Pondy trip yesterday. Details of the trip and fuel consumption figures for the trip are there in the attached pictures. The fuel efficiency figures came as a surprise to me, especially because I was maintaining a speed of 110kmph on the highway (between Pondy - Tindivanam & Arcot - Bangalore) in the onward trip. The return trip was 'slower', because it was dark. The fuel efficiency calculated from fuel consumed (fill to fill) was 14.5km/l. Needless to say that driving it is as pleasurable as ever!

The Blue and Me is a bit confusing for me and I have had trouble syncing my android phone with the system. Looks like the 125bhp 2016 model has dumped Blue and Me.

The fuel efficiency figures from the 'Mileage' app I use is also attached.
The dismal 7.2km/l figure is from exclusive use of the car for short distance commute in the campus as well as in the town over the previous one month or so. It is as aberration. Had filled up the tank before leaving from Pondy. Refilled from an IOC pump shortly after passing Krishnagiri on our way back from Bangalore. Again refilled upon reaching Pondy.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Fiat Linea T-Jet: Initial Ownership Experience-1477503248219.jpg  

2014 Fiat Linea T-Jet: Initial Ownership Experience-1477503280519.jpg  

2014 Fiat Linea T-Jet: Initial Ownership Experience-1477503297889.jpg  

2014 Fiat Linea T-Jet: Initial Ownership Experience-1477503316979.jpg  

2014 Fiat Linea T-Jet: Initial Ownership Experience-1477503338627.jpg  

2014 Fiat Linea T-Jet: Initial Ownership Experience-1477505480060.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th October 2016 at 21:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged, multiple sentences clubbed into paragraphs = improves readability and sms lingo (coz) removed.
sparameswaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 10:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completed 35200kms till now.
That is a number one would associate with a diesel car. I need to loan you my car for some time. It has hit just 40,000km in 58 months.

The T Jet won't give you any trouble as far as the engine goes. It is just the other bits that will require attention from time to time. I just put in a new battery and tires a month ago. I have not had to spend a penny on parts other than one's replaced during scheduled maintenance. Very un-Italian. If life goes on this way, I see little need to replace the car.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 20:55   #72
BHPian

"Very un-Italian."

I completely gave up automotive arche- or stereo-typing based on the nationality of origin of the car firm/brand when (a) my dad's 118ne all those years ago was really reliable (b) as was the UNO (c) but so was the civic (more expensive spares and service though) (d) but my Palio Stile had a few, small but still perhaps about 2 too many, issues (e) my dad's Linea had a few initial niggles and then ran like a perfect beauty for 5 years +, while Tata service was slow but good while Fiat's independent one was/is consistently satisfactory in one FASS and diabolically erratic at another (dealer, now thankfully shut down) one (f) my old man's 'european' 'luxury car' is impeccably reliable but EXPENSIVE (imported parts, etc) to service and esp for any repairs+spares whatsoever.

And yeah, there was a family-workhorse Tata diesel Indigo in there too: superbly low cost of ownership, half-decent service but with the odd engineering-quality/parts issue, resolved cheaply enough though....and so on.

Meanwhile, i know of some folks who've had blues with Honda recently and Hyundai too, but none admittedly, with Toyota.

i.e., other than perhaps, and arguably, for Toyota, i've come to the conclusion that whatever the factors at play may be, 'national origin' is not any sort of issue or barometer, these days, and by-now.

Perhaps, dealership size and financial viability/profitability etc are THE binding constraint, more than anything, like say brand or its 'nationality', else? There are no better examples of that than say Fiat cars in india, or maybe also VWs/Fords/Tata-s? How to ensure profitable, stable and sustainable dealerships+service-centres is THE issue, then, and not just for the FIAT brand.

@sandeepmohan

Last edited by desdemona : 27th October 2016 at 20:58. Reason: addition
Old 27th October 2016, 21:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
i've come to the conclusion that whatever the factors at play may be, 'national origin' is not any sort of issue or barometer, these days, and by-now.
I agree that national origin should not be tied to reliability or any other parameter that decides how a car should be, but, it is true that no Italian made car can match the reliability of a Japanese . That is never going to happen.

You could read up on Fiat and all its sister brands and every one of them, including Ferrari have had that phase of unreliability. Off course, times have changed and a Ferrari no longer falls apart. As for Fiat, little has really changed and I don't speak for our market alone. Look at the history of every brand under the FCA banner. Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Lancia to some extent. Every one of them were horribly unreliable cars back in the day. The Japanese had a very different tag line to their cars during the same era. Their approach to building cars are very different to the Italians.

The Japanese probably start their car design with practicality and user friendliness. The Italians start and end with how the car should look and I ain't complaining one bit.

You can never buy a Italian car with your head. It is always the heart.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 21:56   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That is a number one would associate with a diesel car.
I had estimated before I bought the be car that I am likely to cover 1000kms/month, though it may wary significantly from month to month. But I happened to drive more after I brought home the T Jet 😀
I didn't decide on Petrol Vs Diesel based on this parameter alone, you will realise this if you see my first post in this thread. I wanted to enjoy drives and have enough 'power' at my disposal! 😉

I have an Alto which I bought in 2008; it has not yet completed 40000kms!
sparameswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 23:29   #75
BHPian

I do not dis my point was about the lapsed nature of some of these formerly-true-enough 'nationality'-based arche- and stereo-types.

Why lapsed? Since the Toyota 'system' has been comprehensively implemented by each and every firm, in one form or the other. i.e., since the complete globalization of the auto-industry. Nowadays, GM in the usa and in china is very reputed for 'quality'/reliability, FCA has transformed nearly all its plants to Toyota-system-based 'WorldClassManufacturing' (proprietary standards) specs with very high robotics, efficiency, and automation levels, Honda had/has slipped somewhat due to 'chasing the money and volumes' and are now correcting themselves, Skoda is very well-regarded for reliability in Europe+Uk as is (more or less) VW in China (but not in the usa or say India), Toyota is hardly seen as a leader in reliability and such in most of Europe, and so on.

The other thing that has changed is the extreme legal and regulatory penalties and burdens now of iffy reliability: it is very expensive and risky in the age of NHTSA in the usa, internet hyper-linking and youtubing, etc etc to NOT follow global best-practices by any firm anywhere.

Although, i suppose India's very unregulated market could be statistically different: maybe, i don't know?

Still, some philosophical differences about brand, model-speccing and styling+powertrains, risque-ness etc probably still remain intact? Although there too things are blurring fast: the Japanese are amping up the 'styling', finally moving into turbocharging and dual-clutch autoboxes, even Toyota's trying to offer more driver-centrism/handling/etc (global markets), while firms like FCA are trying to improve dealerships, and all firms are trying to settle on a much-smaller set of highly tested and reliable 'platforms' and increasingly use the very same components from the very same supplier firms irrespective of the nationality of the oem, etcetera.

"Things have changed!" Perhaps for the worse, too: too much me-too, lowest-common-market-denominator 'commoditization' of cars and brands?

@sandeepmohan

Last edited by desdemona : 27th October 2016 at 23:33. Reason: grammar
desdemona is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks