Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 18:17   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Congratulations BlackPearl, Happy Driving! That's a beautiful Thar you got there. I loved every accessory you put up, all of them suits well. Nice modification.

My friend has changed the rear bench seats for a set of forward looking split seats just like the front ones for approximately 20k. You may consider that option if it interests you. Btw, that is in Kerala.
Thanks D C. Regarding the rear bench seats, I am not too inclined to change anything right now as the rear seats will hardly be used. Before going on a trip I may remove the left hand side bench seat so that the front passenger seat can be reclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Not to offend anyone, but in most of the threads I've read, I see these two:
1) rattles and things coming loose even on smooth tarmac
2) ergonomics are horrible

So, this is a car that is meant for the great outdoors? With poor ergonomics and bad quality of parts I don't see how that can be so.

Also, folks are spending 8 lakhs to buy this and spending another couple lakhs to change everything short of plonking a new engine. What is the point?

That being said, I love the looks of the car. If I can just get the body, I would like to put a diesel or petrol engine that is rated for more than 36000 kms, front-facing rear seats and additional two doors at the side to get in from. And a decent suspension. Basically, convert it into a good city car. And of course, a hard top and a 2 DIN entertainment system.
No offense taken. However things do not fall apart on smooth tarmac, so I am not sure where you got that information from. Ergonomics are poor on the Thar but people are learning to cope up with it as there is no other option in this price bracket that looks so good and is so much fun to drive. I have mentioned before and will say it again that the Thar is not a good choice as a primary vehicle unless the owner is absolutely sure about the vehicle's limitations and his/her priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
BlackPearl, I completely enjoyed reading the narrative, as much as I enjoyed looking at the pictures. Congratulations on your buy and thanks for sharing.

Circa August 2014 it was ..

What changed your heart (knowing it is a heart over mind affair) in the interim?

And a few mandatory questions:

1) What do you feel of the braking? Say compared to the Esteem(s)?

2) How do you put up (and you will forgive my putting it this way) with the interiors, the way it is.

Congrats once again. I look forward to reading many more travelogues.
Thanks johy
Nothing had changed except that my wife was willing to let me buy the Thar and we also figured out that it is not such a bad vehicle for two people. It is just my wife and me in a vehicle for most of the outstation trips. Tbhpian Himadrimondal can also be accused for changing my viewpoint. He had mentioned that most of the things could be taken care of by DIY or a few changes here and there. Moreover, after buying the Thar I realised that it is a better vehicle than the one I took to Sikkim. The brakes have drastically improved, even the ride quality seems to be better.

The brakes are better compared to the esteem. But it has a spongy feel before the brakes bite. The brakes on the Esteem have more consistent feeling. Also the front end of the Thar bounces more under hard braking.

The interiors are very similar to the Bolero, the dashboard is exactly same except the colour. So all I can say is that I am used to it, but I will not support Mahindra for providing such horrible interiors on a Rs 8.5 lac vehicle.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 19:40   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Not to offend anyone, but in most of the threads I've read, I see these two:
=====
And a decent suspension. Basically, convert it into a good city car. And of course, a hard top and a 2 DIN entertainment system.
farhadtarapore.. you do realise that blackpearl wasnt a big fan of the thar initially (even i wasn't), you need to drive it, it will change your mind.
The niggles you speak of aren't a big deal for most car lovers. Customizing gives your jeep a unique identity and the thar is one of the few platforms you can do that on these days.
The best part is that the thar is one of the vehicles that has the maximum threads / discussions on team bhp and you have so many people (including mr dhabhar behram) to guide you. The experience is great! you should try it!
a_nan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 21:31   #48
BHPian

Brilliant and a very patient write up Sumitro I have been driving the Thar for nearly four years now. Mine was the first batch of Thar's that had hit the showrooms.
It's an amazing vehicle, with the only flipside being the safety features. So, as long as it's your wife and you you, it's fun. With kids, it becomes a little dicey, but with nice bucket seats at the back, hard top, and side rails, maybe it becomes a tad bit safer.
Nevertheless, I love driving the Thar, and my excitement of driving it is still the same as it was when I drove it for the first time.
Drive Safe captain
Karlitoz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 10:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

Thanks Pjango. The rear bumper and central console will be fitted on the 9th, I will put up some pics immediately after that.
Dear BlackPearl,
apologies for pestering you but your initial mods are quite well in sync with my tastes hence this curiosity about what's next? The rear bumper and center console pics if it has reached where it belongs
Old 15th December 2014, 17:23   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
Brilliant and a very patient write up Sumitro I have been driving the Thar for nearly four years now. Mine was the first batch of Thar's that had hit the showrooms.
It's an amazing vehicle, with the only flipside being the safety features. So, as long as it's your wife and you you, it's fun. With kids, it becomes a little dicey, but with nice bucket seats at the back, hard top, and side rails, maybe it becomes a tad bit safer.
Nevertheless, I love driving the Thar, and my excitement of driving it is still the same as it was when I drove it for the first time.
Drive Safe captain
Thanks a lot Karlitoz!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjango View Post
Dear BlackPearl,
apologies for pestering you but your initial mods are quite well in sync with my tastes hence this curiosity about what's next? The rear bumper and center console pics if it has reached where it belongs
Pjango, sorry for not updating the thread earlier. The central console could not be fitted without removing the music system head unit. Hence I did not go ahead with the installation. The rear bumper has been fitted.

Interior pictures of the Thar -

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2574.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2575.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2576.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2580.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2581.jpg

The glove box below the co-passenger seat
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2582.jpg

View from the driver's seat
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_1617.jpg

The pictures of the rear bumper.

Before installation

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_1294.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_1307.jpg

Work in progress
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_1301.jpg

Post installation
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2568.jpg

The locking mechanism
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2569.jpg

These rubbers were added later with adhesive so that there is no rattle. Mahindra should have provided something like this.
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2570.jpg

It is quite easy to handle, but the lock cannot be opened from inside the vehicle.

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2571.jpg

The issue with the front wheel touching the wheel arch has been fixed by raising the front of the vehicle. The black claddings are now back on the vehicle. Installed a flag pole that tbhpian Avrendu got for me from Rogeotech. A few more pics -

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2566.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2567.jpg

The two Mahindra 4x4s next to each other..
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2562.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-dsc_2564.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 19:13   #51
BHPian

[quote]

Pjango, sorry for not updating the thread earlier. The central console could not be fitted without removing the music system head unit. Hence I did not go ahead with the installation. [\quote]

See I told you that you will need to cut the base to accommodate it. I got my system clamped to the top of the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img2014110200621.jpg  

Last edited by KkVaidya : 15th December 2014 at 19:16.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 15:34   #52
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the interior pictures. Spartan and utilitarian. The rear bumper does look dandy. And though you have mentioned it before that you would not part with the Bolero yet, with the picture of the two 4 x 4s in your parking, it will be doubly difficult for you to ward off guys wanting to take the older toy off of your hands.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 09:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
See I told you that you will need to cut the base to accommodate it. I got my system clamped to the top of the dash.

Like I mentioned before, there is no need to cut anything or relocate the head-unit in order to fit the centre console. See below,

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-tharinterior.jpg
PreethamB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 10:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Too good. Its looking great especially from the front. One question. What is the benefit of this rear bumper kit, specially the spare separately ?
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 20:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

[quote=KkVaidya;3603237]
Quote:

Pjango, sorry for not updating the thread earlier. The central console could not be fitted without removing the music system head unit. Hence I did not go ahead with the installation. [\quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
Like I mentioned before, there is no need to cut anything or relocate the head-unit in order to fit the centre console. See below,

]
There are 2 types of centre consoles, old design required relocation of head unit for fitment, this has been fixed in the newer design, which is available now.
Old 20th December 2014, 21:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
There are 2 types of centre consoles, old design required relocation of head unit for fitment, this has been fixed in the newer design, which is available now.
What you see in the picture there is the older design, but it still can be installed without relocating the Head Unit.
Old 21st December 2014, 10:53   #57
BHPian

Just a word of caution about the locker below the passenger seat. Donot keep any of your car papers or anything in it uncovered. Muck and dirt tend to enter in the locker from the floorboard making your documents very dirty especially in the rainy season. Happened to us once hence letting you know before hand.
The floor openings are covered with silver stickers which come out.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 12:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Just a word of caution about the locker below the passenger seat. Donot keep any of your car papers or anything in it uncovered. Muck and dirt tend to enter in the locker from the floorboard making your documents very dirty especially in the rainy season. Happened to us once hence letting you know before hand.
The floor openings are covered with silver stickers which come out.
Any way to fix it up? Has anyone faced the similar issue. We can fix some steel plate at the bottom of the silver stickers
Old 21st December 2014, 12:59   #59
BHPian

One way is to lay PVC mat to cover the whole floor. This helps in isolating road noise as well as reducing rattles from the tool kit kept in the lockable storage area, while making it waterproof.
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 18:49   #60
BHPian

Hi Ruchirnt - I have covered the floor area of my Thar with noodle mat. It is thick and I am sure it reduces road noise to an extent and also you won't see any dirt. The dirt just settles down. You can take it off and pat it and the dust will fall freely. It also gives you a nice cushion kind of a feeling when you step in.

I have not seen my internals of the tool box dirty. So far it is fine. I have put in some bits and pieces of the noodle mat in between the tools inside the tool box and I have no rattling. It is kind of packed inside.

Swami

Most Viewed