Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2014, 15:21   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Thanks Behram Sir. What does meccano fit mean?
Dear Black Pearl - "meccano" is a generic name for a set of small parts consisting of angles, channels, shafts, wheels, pulleys etc which can be oriented and fitted in various ways to make very good working models of various things, without changing the construction of the individual parts in any way. I do not know if "meccano" is available now, but when I was in school, my uncle had brought a meccano set for me from Switzerland. The brand name was "Stokys". The parts were made of brushed aluminum. As I had a fascination for all things mechanical, as a school boy I remember to have made various things out of my meccano set. I particularly remember that I used to make a model vehicle looking like the Jeep. I also used to make lift cranes with fixed and movable pulleys and tractors. I had demonstrated these things in my school science fairs and won some prizes also.

So when I say "meccano" for Thar systems, I mean to say that each and every single part (upto individual parts level) is available with part numbers today. You just have to "delete old parts" and "add new parts" as you would do in a meccano. Reliability will not be compromised as complete engineering solutions are available and sold in the open market. The sad part is that nobody is thinking like the meccano and putting two and two together. I hope this clarifies.

Dear KKVaidyaji - on fuel capacity, if two people say that they can't fill more than 43 liters (you and dean 5545), they must have changed over to the 45 liters tank to reduce cost or to commonise across applications or to meet some CMVR or some such silly thing. 45 liters fuel tank is engineered and is available for Bolero platform application. Also check if your tank has collapsed inwards due to ineffective air bleed. As fuel gets consumed, atmospheric pressure must enter the tank or else it will create a vacuum which will collapse the tank. If you have spare time, go and fight with the dealer and get it changed to 60 liters, at least you won't have to visit the petrol pumps often, otherwise forget it. See that the bleed is OK, it is behind the filler neck. Remember that the mounting brackets and the tank guards for both tanks are different. 60 liters fuel tank is common with Bolero VLX! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 4th December 2014 at 15:26.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 19:28   #32
BHPian

Dear Blackpearl, Heartiest congratulations for acquiring a machine which remains the biggest unjustified fascination among men! Can we have the rear bumper and center console pics too if they have now been fitted? Thanks.
Pjango
Pjango is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 20:21   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Are you sure on the fuel tank size ? The max we could fill in our Thar was 43litres that too when the needle was below E.
All the best for the Thar been our daily ride to college for more than a year. In the beginning just keep checking the coolant level they seem to drop when the engine is new.
We got bored with 100 hp so remapped it to 140bhp now it's a true rocket.
You may also want to invest in a Hardtop the noise the canopy makes during high speeds had my eardrums ringing even after getting home. It also makes you a lot more tired.
All the best!
I am sure the tank is more than 45 litres because I filled up 50 litres during the highway trip.
How did you remap the engine to 140 bhp? Please share some details. I might do the same once the warranty is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Blackpearl, next time you are passing around, please do wait for a cuppa at my place (anywhere on the bypass) I would like to feel the Sherpa and I hope to introduce it to my Explorer (Hopefully, it should arrive in the next 10 days & that I have already christened it )
Thanks a lot Sheel for the invite Will surely give you a call and meet. I will PM you my number and please respond with your's so that I can call you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Spectacular review! Congrats on buying one of the best looking sets of wheels! The Thar is a sure shot head turner. Can you please share some interior pics as well.
Thanks a lot Jasmeet. I will surely post the interior pictures. I am just waiting to get the central console installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Even I am not able to fill in more then 43litres to be exact at needle pointing E. Maybe they have put 15 liters under reserve band.

One advice on the center console is not to cut the audio system bracket. I had it installed at the dealer & he cut the whole bracker to fit the console. Now there was no space to fit an audio system but to hook it up on the top. The sides of the player will remain open and look ugly retro-fitted job like in a State transport bus.
Thanks KkVaidya. I think the new central console design addresses that issue, but I will make sure about it before they install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Black Pearl - "meccano" is a generic name for a set of small parts consisting of angles, channels, shafts, wheels, pulleys etc which can be oriented and fitted in various ways to make very good working models of various things, without changing the construction of the individual parts in any way. I do not know if "meccano" is available now, but when I was in school, my uncle had brought a meccano set for me from Switzerland. The brand name was "Stokys". The parts were made of brushed aluminum. As I had a fascination for all things mechanical, as a school boy I remember to have made various things out of my meccano set. I particularly remember that I used to make a model vehicle looking like the Jeep. I also used to make lift cranes with fixed and movable pulleys and tractors. I had demonstrated these things in my school science fairs and won some prizes also.

So when I say "meccano" for Thar systems, I mean to say that each and every single part (upto individual parts level) is available with part numbers today. You just have to "delete old parts" and "add new parts" as you would do in a meccano. Reliability will not be compromised as complete engineering solutions are available and sold in the open market. The sad part is that nobody is thinking like the meccano and putting two and two together. I hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjango View Post
Dear Blackpearl, Heartiest congratulations for acquiring a machine which remains the biggest unjustified fascination among men! Can we have the rear bumper and center console pics too if they have now been fitted? Thanks.
Pjango
Thanks Pjango. The rear bumper and central console will be fitted on the 9th, I will put up some pics immediately after that.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 21:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What does meccano fit means?
Meccano - the Lego of the pre Lego generation! Building block (parts bin) approach.

Planning to take the top down in winter?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 23:34   #35
BHPian

Finally went through the entire review and I am sorry for being so late. A very well detailed review with honest facts and lovely pictures. "White" or "Off-White", Sherpa looks the part all the way. No wonder even Tollywood stars are jealous.

Can't wait to meet the Sherpa. Happy driving !

P.S. - Rated the thread 5 Stars
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 09:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the ever increasing standards of Team-BHP it is getting very difficult to write a short/long term review of a vehicle. Gone are those days when you would write a few things and put up some pictures of your ride and post it on the forum. Some people were even audacious enough to post ownership threads without any picture of their rides!! Can you imagine this happening today? The result is that we as potential customers are getting proper ownership threads. But I am making no such claims about this ownership thread, simply because I could not become a better writer overnight. So I am sure this thread is going to be in assembly line for quite sometime, but I have faith that with perseverance and help from the Moderators, this thread will see the light of day.
Congratulations @blackpearl for your white Thar acquisition. I feel great to know that even better halfs are in agreement of the purchase, it makes my case even more stronger
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 11:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I feel great to know that even better halfs are in agreement of the purchase, it makes my case even more stronger
Dear Ruchirtnt - be careful of the real Boss in your life! I have not yet got an OK from my real Boss in my life to buy even a used Thar CRDe (I can't afford a new one)!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 11:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KkVaidya. I think the new central console design addresses that issue, but I will make sure about it before they install it.
The older center console also can be fit in such a way as to not take up the space meant for the single din player. The "Accessories guy" from the dealer kept saying it can't be done, but the chap who actually fit it managed it quite well.

From the pictures it does seem that, with the new design of the center console, you lose one big, useful cubby-hole. I suggest you go with the older one if possible.

By the way, congratulations, you've got yourself a nice vehicle. Have fun!
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 06:57   #39
Tgk

Great review. Truly agree with you, buying a Thar is more heart over head. Something you will not regret especially if you're the outdoors type. Congrats!
Tgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 10:09   #40
BHPian

An awesome writeup for an awesome vehicle sir! I have been dreaming of a similarly prepped thar but in silver. The major reason for me buying one someday is the amount of personalization needed for making thar workable. I like my rides carry an essence of my personality. Added advantage is the unexplained happiness you feel when driving one. Could you post some interior pictures and audio setup if opted for?
Also a humble suggestion, please try and add silver or white accents to the alloys or white lettering to tyre, it ll increase the grace of your black alloys.
P.s. Rated 5 star and also my first post on the forum
Mcroadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 16:43   #41
BHPian

An excellent review blackpearl and congratulations on the newest addition to your garage. You really outlined the capabilities of the vehicle very well in your review; makes for a very informative review for a prospective buyer. Wish you many happy miles ahead
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 17:59   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
The older center console also can be fit in such a way as to not take up the space meant for the single din player. The "Accessories guy" from the dealer kept saying it can't be done, but the chap who actually fit it managed it quite well.

From the pictures it does seem that, with the new design of the center console, you lose one big, useful cubby-hole. I suggest you go with the older one if possible.

By the way, congratulations, you've got yourself a nice vehicle. Have fun!
Thanks Preetham. I will check with the installer before going ahead with the central console fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgk View Post
Great review. Truly agree with you, buying a Thar is more heart over head. Something you will not regret especially if you're the outdoors type. Congrats!
Thanks Tgk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcroadster View Post
An awesome writeup for an awesome vehicle sir! I have been dreaming of a similarly prepped thar but in silver. The major reason for me buying one someday is the amount of personalization needed for making thar workable. I like my rides carry an essence of my personality. Added advantage is the unexplained happiness you feel when driving one. Could you post some interior pictures and audio setup if opted for?
Also a humble suggestion, please try and add silver or white accents to the alloys or white lettering to tyre, it ll increase the grace of your black alloys.
P.s. Rated 5 star and also my first post on the forum
Thanks a lot Mcroadster. I absolutely agree with the points you have mentioned. I even bought a white pen for painting the letters on the tyre but have not been able to do it yet. I will post the interior pics after getting the central console fitted on 9th December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
An excellent review blackpearl and congratulations on the newest addition to your garage. You really outlined the capabilities of the vehicle very well in your review; makes for a very informative review for a prospective buyer. Wish you many happy miles ahead
Thanks rattanw.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:09   #43
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Jumping straight to the point and introducing The Sherpa, a four weeks old Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4, to team-bhp.
Congratulations BlackPearl, Happy Driving! That's a beautiful Thar you got there. I loved every accessory you put up, all of them suits well. Nice modification.

Quote:
11. Very poor ergonomics. The front passenger seat cannot be inclined as the rear bench seat intrudes into that space.
My friend has changed the rear bench seats for a set of forward looking split seats just like the front ones for approximately 20k. You may consider that option if it interests you. Btw, that is in Kerala.
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:26   #44
BHPian

Not to offend anyone, but in most of the threads I've read, I see these two:
1) rattles and things coming loose even on smooth tarmac
2) ergonomics are horrible

So, this is a car that is meant for the great outdoors? With poor ergonomics and bad quality of parts I don't see how that can be so.

Also, folks are spending 8 lakhs to buy this and spending another couple lakhs to change everything short of plonking a new engine. What is the point?

That being said, I love the looks of the car. If I can just get the body, I would like to put a diesel or petrol engine that is rated for more than 36000 kms, front-facing rear seats and additional two doors at the side to get in from. And a decent suspension. Basically, convert it into a good city car. And of course, a hard top and a 2 DIN entertainment system.
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 17:27   #45
BHPian

BlackPearl, I completely enjoyed reading the narrative, as much as I enjoyed looking at the pictures. Congratulations on your buy and thanks for sharing.

Circa August 2014 it was ..

Quote:
The Thar has better front seat comfort, better turning radius and higher cruising speed than my Bolero but on the flip side the steering is vague and feels disconnected, the brakes are horrible, the front end bounces under braking, the entire vehicle rattles, nuts and bolts are jutting out causing injury, rear ride quality is worse compared to the Bolero. Having said that, the Bolero will be my first and last Mahindra vehicle, at least till the time Mahindra can prove that it is at par with the Japanese manufacturers.
What changed your heart (knowing it is a heart over mind affair) in the interim?

And a few mandatory questions:

1) What do you feel of the braking? Say compared to the Esteem(s)?

2) How do you put up (and you will forgive my putting it this way) with the interiors, the way it is.

Congrats once again. I look forward to reading many more travelogues.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks