Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2015, 05:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

Congratulations and happy mile crunching.
Please post some exclusive pictures of the second and third row seats alongwith the 4WD experience..
Old 4th January 2015, 12:47   #17
BHPian

Congrats on the Scorpio Sheel. It is looking great in black. Wish you many happy miles ahead. Please post some picyures of the middle and third row legroom pics. Please do write about the 4x4 experience.
Cheers,
Neel
Old 4th January 2015, 12:55   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
Is the gear shift quality noticeably better than the last gen Scorpio? How would you rate it compared to other SUVs in its class?
Why I ask is because my dad thought so poorly of it that it became a deal breaker!
Gear shift quality has improved, yes. Especially, when shifting to 3rd gear or shifting the lever to reverse.

Only one rival, the Storme. You got to drive both back to back to see which suits your requirement better & most important, the one which has better ASC in your area.

Quote:
PS: why no team bhp sticker yet? Should be on the top of your to do list.
There are few, spot 'em :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Congrats!! Fantastic report. If I am not mistaken, this is the first report of a New Gen scorpio with 4wd on Team bhp.
Think so.

Quote:
Underneath the Scorpio's Third Row there is a lot of space if you utilise that space smartly. ....... We have travelled with 7 people on board without a single bag that needed to be carried on the top on an extended weekend trip.
Thanks for the tip, will utilize the under seat space judiciously.

Quote:
While in the older vehicle you have the third row down, on the new one you have the third row up.
But still, there isn't much visibility. Please do have a look at the Official Review. I too will post another picture.

That lower kink in the rear hatch glass area is the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Congratulations and happy mile crunching.
Please post some exclusive pictures of the second and third row seats alongwith the 4WD experience..
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl
could not see the auto locking hubs. So does it mean that Storme and the new Scorpio are using the same/similar thing?
Could you guys explain me this a bit? [Which will help me to understand] Then maybe I can share my experience.

Upon switching to 4H, there is an icon & upon engaging the 4L, that icon (of the chassis with wheels turned) stays & the 4WD Low lamp glows alongside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
Besides the Coil sprung front suspension, there is another surprise, the Flush Auto Locking Hubs. I guess, I asked you on FB to post a picture, once you get a chance to take one of the front wheels off.
Old 4th January 2015, 13:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh Come on Doc!! You also know that there are a lot of things in which this generation feels better!!
I'm sure they do. Better suspension and gearbox are the 2 major changes - agreed. But then, addressing faults of the older version is the first target of newer version - not making things worse. In that department, I think reducing the size of the rear windscreen (which makes the IRVM more useless than it already was, as well as making the aesthetics worse too) is the first goof-up that M&M did.
Old 4th January 2015, 13:03   #20
Team-BHP Support

Two quirks.

One, the Auto AC when used, doesn't stay in recirculate mode. 8 times out of 10, it does not. I really do not know why.

Second being, while locking the car, as usual with most cars, the indicators flash. But while unlocking, the parking lamps flash. On asking the relevant guy, got the answer that, it is because of the follow me home lamp feature. Maybe...

Talking about the 4WD experience, I have been using 4H almost every 2-3 days, thanks to the infrastructure at my place :(

While showing 4WD to my friends, I was trying to climb a mound which I easily did in 4H, but this time, with 5 passengers on board, the rear wheel spinned & the front wasn't helping the cause, the front wheels were turned fully to the right. Engaged 4Low and it simply galloped over. Mission 4X4 accomplished and everyone was clapping at the victory.

Will post passenger seat pictures next time

Some low life guy did this

Car throws up too much mud/muck. With the unusual rains, have a look at the car. It looks so nice in the monsoon color (save for the cleaning part )
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150104_075449.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150104_075505.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150104_075521.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150104_075603.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 4th January 2015 at 13:10.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 13:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One, the Auto AC when used, doesn't stay in recirculate mode. 8 times out of 10, it does not. I really do not know why.
Not a quirk. If automatic climate control (ACC) goes into heating mode (winters) it will change to fresh air mode too.

If you want to keep the system on recirculation mode all the time, then with the ACC on auto, press the recirculation switch once (or twice if required), till the indicator light for that switch stays on continuously. The system won't go into fresh air mode, but will maintain cabin temperature automatically as set by you.

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-accs10.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 14:27   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase,

I went to see the new Scorpio when I was in India two weeks ago, and I liked it as well.

My only grouse is that it is still not an effective seven seater like XUV or Innova.

That is something Mahindra should have taken into account, and I could guarantee at least one more customer.
Old 4th January 2015, 15:55   #23
M35
BHPian

@Sheel

Congrats on the ‘Beast’ in black, the best shade for the NG Scorpio, I must say. Give it some care and attention, there is no other shade as classy as black on this design.

I am not a big fan of cosmetic alterations on a car like Scorp. I only wish they have used better quality bushes for the suspension components [ read stab- bar etc] on this new avatar. On my 2009 Scorp, they get hard rather quickly that the ride gets very unpleasant that I keep changing them even at 5- 10k km intervals.You can ride on them, but there is a world of difference when replaced and they are not expensive either.

BTW, is that floor mats a DIY job? I have done one here.

Have a great ownership ahead !
Rated the thread 5 star !
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 21:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But still, there isn't much visibility. Please do have a look at the Official Review. I too will post another picture.

That lower kink in the rear hatch glass area is the culprit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I think reducing the size of the rear windscreen (which makes the IRVM more useless than it already was,
Well its still better than the Ambassadors that people from our region are used to driving. I successfully reversed one into a drain as recently as on the 1st of Jan 2015 and yet managed to recover it using Marengo (Thereby reclaiming some lost honour). So "we" shouldn't be complaining!

Quote:

Could you guys explain me this a bit? [Which will help me to understand] Then maybe I can share my experience.
On the previous Gen 4wd, if you look at the centre of the front wheel (refer pic) below, you'll see a protrusion.
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_72671.jpg

What that protrusion hides is the Auto-Locking-hub for engaging the front wheel with the front axle shaft. It looks like this.

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-67801_10151292281586838_1014562782_n.jpg

On your vehicle, that protrusion is not there, so there must be some other "flush" locking mechanism. Was curious about that. To verify, please take off any front wheel and post the picture taken while looking at the front wheelarch.

Quote:

Upon switching to 4H, there is an icon & upon engaging the 4L, that icon (of the chassis with wheels turned) stays & the 4WD Low lamp glows alongside.
Both the Icons("Chassis with wheels turned" and the "4WD LOW") should not stay lit once you switch to 4L. The "Chassis with wheels turned" should go off and the 4WD-LOW should turn on, after 6 seconds of switching to 4L (With the vehicle being rock static, clutch pressed, from the point before turning the knob till the indicator state change in the ip - appx 6 secs).

If both the icons are staying lit, either there is a problem, or the switch from 4H TO 4L is being done incorrectly (with vehicle rolling a bit, or the clutch not being pressed). If there is a problem, it probably indicates a loose electrical coupler on the 4WD actuator motor (or a malfunctioning actuator motor itself).

The pictures you posted has the underbody of the vehicle being recently washed. So am just curious, if you get the chance to get that done frequently. If you do, please ask them to refrain from spraying liberally on the 4WD actuator motor and its coupling and even on the Speed sensor, near the Gear Box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kn1ght1941 View Post
My only grouse is that it is still not an effective seven seater like XUV or Innova.

That is something Mahindra should have taken into account, and I could guarantee at least one more customer.
Why should Mahindra even bother about making the Scorpio an effective 7 seater? When it already has that in the Xylo and even the XUV.

And of the vehicles you mentioned, the XUV does not have a Low range transfer case and the Innova doesn't even have a 4WD!! The thread starters requirement was 4WD and a Ladder frame.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th January 2015 at 21:11.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 21:47   #25
BHPian

Congratulations!
Special thanks for clicking such detailed pics of the suspension and comparing other features with old gen Scorpio. Please share your experience of its 4x4 system as well
Old 4th January 2015, 23:18   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well its still better than the Ambassadors that people from our region are used to driving.
So "we" shouldn't be complaining!

Why are we arguing about this while comparing apples to tandoori chicken? In any case, who's complaining?

Let's not go on Sheel's very own thread.
Old 5th January 2015, 01:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why are we arguing about this while comparing apples to tandoori chicken? In any case, who's complaining?

The point is, its not bad as its being made out to be, I have driven it. I have seen worse. Besides if it was that bad, CMVR wouldn't have allowed it to be made to production.
Old 5th January 2015, 09:05   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
@Sheel

Congrats on the ‘Beast’ in black, the best shade for the NG Scorpio, I must say. Give it some care and attention, there is no other shade as classy as black on this design.

I am not a big fan of cosmetic alterations on a car like Scorp. I only wish they have used better quality bushes for the suspension components [ read stab- bar etc] on this new avatar. On my 2009 Scorp, they get hard rather quickly that the ride gets very unpleasant that I keep changing them even at 5- 10k km intervals.You can ride on them, but there is a world of difference when replaced and they are not expensive either.

BTW, is that floor mats a DIY job? I have done one here.

Have a great ownership ahead !
Rated the thread 5 star !
Thanks M35. Please do provide insights of your secret of maintaining your beautiful Scorpio.

If something doesn't feel right, I will get it attended to. Service is not a concern.

Those mats are a DIY, but a good friend did it. He deals in them and for me, he did it himself (measuring, cutting)

Quote:
Well its still better than the Ambassadors that people from our region are used to driving. I successfully reversed one into a drain as recently as on the 1st of Jan 2015 and yet managed to recover it using Marengo (Thereby reclaiming some lost honour). So "we" shouldn't be complaining!

Quote:
On the previous Gen 4wd, if you look at the centre of the front wheel (refer pic) below, you'll see a protrusion.
Attachment 1324189

What that protrusion hides is the Auto-Locking-hub for engaging the front wheel with the front axle shaft. It looks like this.

Attachment 1324190

On your vehicle, that protrusion is not there, so there must be some other "flush" locking mechanism. Was curious about that. To verify, please take off any front wheel and post the picture taken while looking at the front wheelarch.
That I am aware of. When the wheels are taken off, I will inspect & click. BTW, those protrusions are there in all the budget 4X4's I have come across.

Fortuner/Storme and now the Scorpio don't have these. So, is it a step forward or backward?

Quote:
Both the Icons("Chassis with wheels turned" and the "4WD LOW") should not stay lit once you switch to 4L. The "Chassis with wheels turned" should go off and the 4WD-LOW should turn on, after 6 seconds of switching to 4L (With the vehicle being rock static, clutch pressed, from the point before turning the knob till the indicator state change in the ip - appx 6 secs).

If both the icons are staying lit, either there is a problem, or the switch from 4H TO 4L is being done incorrectly (with vehicle rolling a bit, or the clutch not being pressed). If there is a problem, it probably indicates a loose electrical coupler on the 4WD actuator motor (or a malfunctioning actuator motor itself).
I didn't pay much attention, but will check it out and consult the workshop and you as and when the need be :-)

Quote:
The pictures you posted has the underbody of the vehicle being recently washed. So am just curious, if you get the chance to get that done frequently. If you do, please ask them to refrain from spraying liberally on the 4WD actuator motor and its coupling and even on the Speed sensor, near the Gear Box.
point noted, will do that.

Quote:
Why should Mahindra even bother about making the Scorpio an effective 7 seater? When it already has that in the Xylo and even the XUV.

And of the vehicles you mentioned, the XUV does not have a Low range transfer case and the Innova doesn't even have a 4WD!! The thread starters requirement was 4WD and a Ladder frame.
I wanted a comfortable 4 seater family SUV and this is proving to be just the right choice.

On those very good roads, I do miss the ability to cruise at higher speeds, but that is the only drawback. It more than makes up by being cruising till your bladder is full or the SUV's tank is empty And come some bad roads/expansion joints/irregularities, it wins.
Quote:

Because of you both, I got myself this, so atleast you guys enjoy some liberty.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th January 2015 at 09:06.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 12:12   #29
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. I too bought a black scorpio 4wd a few months ago - the pre-facelift version.
Old 5th January 2015, 12:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Likes[list][*]The ride and handling package
Congratulations Sheel.
How is the ride comfort in new model specially sideways throws Scorpio is notorious for ?
Has M&M removed front Auto locking hubs ? are there fixed flanges now or sensor on front diff to actuate front hubs as new Safari Storme?

Regards,
Shubhendra

Last edited by Shubhendra : 5th January 2015 at 12:58.

Most Viewed