Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:36   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
1. How does the scorpio behave in GQ for say 120 kmph all day? Although I drive usually at 110-120 kmph, I would definitely like to have a vehicle that can do 140 for some stretches.
2. How is the comfort for driving over bad roads?
Am yet to do a marathon run. Max I have done is 500 kilometers in a day and that too, I usually stick to 90-100kmph.

Engine is more than eager to do 120. It will go way above that if road conditions do permit. Car is steady.

I have been hopping on/off from a VLX/Fortuner/Storme/Pajero SFX, to me all ladder on frames behave the same way on bad roads and good. SFX had the best road manners, but in the new gen Scorpio in 4WD iteration, you are going to enjoy its ride and handling combination. It has certainly improved.

Before you sign the dotted line, please take a TD [dealership/friends] and see if the Scorpio suits your needs. My prime reason for buying was to explore places and do these marathon runs, but I go a notch below and usually do not stop unless the Scorpio calls out for fuel or occupants request for a stop. Fatigue free driving at its best. But for me, its the same in Storme/Fortuner or the Pajero.
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:53   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I am planning to buy s4+ 4wd. I would have long drives, sometimes 1000+ kms in a day through GQ and bad roads.

I was wondering
1. How does the scorpio behave in GQ for say 120 kmph all day? Although I drive usually at 110-120 kmph, I would definitely like to have a vehicle that can do 140 for some stretches.
2. How is the comfort for driving over bad roads?
Dear Suman,

1. In my S10 2WD have done 650 km in day . No issues . Have touched high speeds on empty stretches. The FE suffers if you do continuous high speeds. I got around 9.5 kmpl (TFTTF) . I have done that , vehicle performance was beyond my expectation.

In my other trips I maintained rev at 1.5k to 2 K (~90 kmph) and got good mileage around 13.5 kmpl (TFTTF).

2. That depends on the bad stretch. While in comparison to Sedan, Jeeps you can hop over the minor bad stretches. In the surface is highly uneven then you need to handle it carefully else you will have a dancing car .

//MM

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd May 2015 at 13:17. Reason: Please refrain from posting about speeding on the forums. Thanks!
Old 24th May 2015, 21:51   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Am yet to do a marathon run. Max I have done is 500 kilometers in a day and that too, I usually stick to 90-100kmph.

Engine is more than eager to do 120. It will go way above that if road conditions do permit. Car is steady.

I have been hopping on/off from a VLX/Fortuner/Storme/Pajero SFX, to me all ladder on frames behave the same way on bad roads and good. SFX had the best road manners, but in the new gen Scorpio in 4WD iteration, you are going to enjoy its ride and handling combination. It has certainly improved.

Before you sign the dotted line, please take a TD [dealership/friends] and see if the Scorpio suits your needs. My prime reason for buying was to explore places and do these marathon runs, but I go a notch below and usually do not stop unless the Scorpio calls out for fuel or occupants request for a stop. Fatigue free driving at its best. But for me, its the same in Storme/Fortuner or the Pajero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Dear Suman,

1. In my S10 2WD have done 650 km in day . No issues . Have touched high speeds on empty stretches. The FE suffers if you do continuous high speeds. I got around 9.5 kmpl (TFTTF) . I have done that , vehicle performance was beyond my expectation.

In my other trips I maintained rev at 1.5k to 2 K (~90 kmph) and got good mileage around 13.5 kmpl (TFTTF).

2. That depends on the bad stretch. While in comparison to Sedan, Jeeps you can hop over the minor bad stretches. In the surface is highly uneven then you need to handle it carefully else you will have a dancing car .

//MM
We took an extended test drive today in various conditions. Comfort over bad road is good. But high speed handling did not inspire confidence. I think it is better to drive the vehicle in 80-90 kmph although I touched 110kmph few times.

Sat inside a S4+ that was getting readied for delivery. Finally selected s4+ with mapmyindia navigation and rear camera with autocops and wheel cap.

Planning to get the LEDs installed, dealer quote is 16k, will negotiate.

Now the problem.

A blue s4+ is readily available, with the dealer quote within my budget. But I am confused between 2wd or 4wd. 4wd is made to order and will take 2 months approx. Also 4wd is about 1.5 lakhs more expensive.

I intend to use the vehicle for touring and regular long drives, but no offroading. I owned a 4wd safari for 10 years but only times I used 4wd was
1. Offroading in beach
2. To get out of a steep parking lot, which I am assuming would not be an issue for scorpio with reduced turning radius.

I of course intend to take the vehicle to Himalayas and North east but using normal circuits. Please suggest what do you think on getting the readily available 2wd or wait and get a 4wd instead.

Last edited by sumannandy : 24th May 2015 at 21:54.
Old 25th May 2015, 08:32   #79
BHPian

Quote:
I think it is better to drive the vehicle in 80-90 kmph although I touched 110kmph few times.

I am confused between 2wd or 4wd. 4wd is made to order and will take 2 months approx. Also 4wd is about 1.5 lakhs more expensive.

I intend to use the vehicle for touring and regular long drives, but no offroading.
I own a s10 2wd and driving it at 110kmph isn't an issue at all. I have made frequent trips on nh1 and nh8 of almost 600km a day and trust me I'm not a rash or excessively speeding kind of a driver. I throughly enjoyed the drives and felt safe too.

Your choice is quite clear. Why to wait for 2 months and pay extra too when there is NO OFFROADING. Go for a 2wd version. Don't wait to ride the beast for 2 months. Go ahead. More smiles and happy family faces are on their way waiting for you. Congratulations in advance.
Old 25th May 2015, 12:09   #80
Team-BHP Support

If you wish to explore and drive to off-beaten tracks, get a 4WD. Else, no use paying ~1L more & carrying ~100kgs of dead-weight + low FE.

Advantages : Better ride/handling & feel-some steering.

Made my first short trip to hills. Can't wait to properly drive it on the hills. Few pics.

New feature discovered in infotainment.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_0100.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_0111.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_0112.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_0113.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 14:26   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Sheel, Did you get a system / software / firmware update ? I do not recall seeing this is my ICE ?

Last edited by ManuMacher : 25th May 2015 at 14:26. Reason: typo
Old 26th May 2015, 06:29   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Hi sheel

What is this feature all about and where did you found it in the menu.
Old 28th May 2015, 10:38   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Sheel, Did you get a system / software / firmware update ? I do not recall seeing this is my ICE ?
No. Don't think it was an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
Hi sheel

What is this feature all about and where did you found it in the menu.
I was toggling with maps & its menu. That is when I found it. Two icons are at bottom tray, to your right. Then swipe screen [2-3 modes there] One for direction in detail, step by step, one this, don't recall the third one.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
No. Don't think it was an update.

I was toggling with maps & its menu. That is when I found it. Two icons are at bottom tray, to your right. Then swipe screen [2-3 modes there] One for direction in detail, step by step, one this, don't recall the third one.
Sheel I recall now. It is based on GPS data and not what we see on the speedometer. Guess Bluesense app has some dashboard but need to check from where it is getting the data.
Old 1st June 2015, 11:29   #85
BHPian

Hey Sheel. Better late than never. Big congratulations. Loved reading your detailed review, especially the photo- comparison to the older version of the Scorpio. And although I have never been a fan of the Scorpio, I must say I like the new interiors .

Drive safe. Hope to meet up soon whenever you are in town.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 09:03   #86
Team-BHP Support

Thanks johy

Explorer has completed 6,000+ kilometers and is doing its highway, state highway & no roads run. On those narrow roads with drops on each side, its nice to pilot it. Save for a SUV, don't think any car can match its timing. And you rarely go to 5th gear, its 3rd & 4th throughout.

While monsoon is yet to come in force, there has been rains and thanks to 4H, I can go right where I want to without having the need to carry my shoes in my hand & fold my trousers. Priceless moment
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 10:09   #87
Team-BHP Support

My Explorer [4WD Scorpio] turned into a hero yesterday. Helped a damsel in distress. Damsel = a 2WD VLX which was stuck in a deep rut because of the ongoing construction of road.

Water camouflaged the surface. In 4WD Low, it pulled away so cleanly, I didn't even feel that I was pulling something weighing over 2 tonnes. Ecstatic moment indeed.

The feeling is yet to sink in. Kids who were surrounding [at a safe distance] started cheering & clapping.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th June 2015 at 10:10.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:51   #88
BHPian

Quote:

The feeling is yet to sink in. Kids who were surrounding [at a safe distance] started cheering & clapping.
Good job Sheel. Your driving skills coupled with the awesome power of your Explorer are a tool it seems. Please take time to share pics of the moment or the experience. It seems interesting.
Old 18th June 2015, 17:14   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Explorer [4WD Scorpio] turned into a hero yesterday. Helped a damsel in distress. Damsel = a 2WD VLX which was stuck in a deep rut because of the ongoing construction of road.

Water camouflaged the surface. In 4WD Low, it pulled away so cleanly, I didn't even feel that I was pulling something weighing over 2 tonnes. Ecstatic moment indeed.

In a vehicle like the Scorpio/safari, since they have the 4wd optional, it always makes sense in going for it.

Just like the situation you mentioned above, I have found countless opportunities where usage and presence of 4wd hardware has turned out to be a huge blessing. In most of those cases, with a 2wd I would have been stuck for quite some time, makes carrying the deadweight so much worth it.
Old 18th June 2015, 21:38   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
In a vehicle like the Scorpio/safari, since they have the 4wd optional, it always makes sense in going for it.

Just like the situation you mentioned above, I have found countless opportunities where usage and presence of 4wd hardware has turned out to be a huge blessing. In most of those cases, with a 2wd I would have been stuck for quite some time, makes carrying the deadweight so much worth it.
Yesterday, in commuting inside my town, I used 4H twice. At both situations, in a 2WD, I would have to reverse back for quite a bit.

And then this in 4L.

One clarification, won't there be any balancing/alignment issues if I pull vehicles? You seem to be rescuing quite a lot of damsels in distress

Most Viewed