Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2016, 09:59   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Both vacuum modulators are the same I think. Please have a look here, when I got 'em changed, both appeared clones, w/o any difference/s..
Nope, both are not the same. Quoting from this post BY SS-Traveller:

Quote:
There are 2 vacuum modulators - the turbo modulator and the EGR modulator - to the right side of the car.
Even I am not looking for perfection and can live with the odd rattle or so. But when it comes to fixing known issues such as this and the CSC failure, then M&M need to improve a lot. It's precisely for this reason that, like you, I will also be looking out for another brand.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 17:43   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Everyone we asked directions to Kolukkumalai told us that it is only jeeps which make it there since the road is bad. Even after we started the ascent, a couple of jeep drivers told us to go back since the switchbacks were too acute according to them and Chetak would not make it to the top. However, we made it pretty comfortably walking up the slope in 1st gear 4LLc. Halfway up the ascent, another driver was telling his passengers "Here is one more who is trying to damage his vehicle." I was perplexed but saw the reason soon after.

At one of the bends, there was a brand new Scorpio 4WD with its front bumper dangling from one end. The owner and their family were standing there so I asked them if they needed help in removing the bumper completely.

They said, "We know the bumper is gone, but the fuel tank took a hit and is leaking diesel. We want to get home now and know that all 4WDs are not equal."

I had some duck tape and tried to tape the leak but it wasn't working. They had called the local M&M dealer for help and it was apparently on its way.

When we reached the top and were parking, an old driver came and took a close look all around Chetak with special focus on the underbody, the front bumper and the chassis. He asked me if I had any hits. When I said none so far, he said " a Bolero tried to do it but it broke its front bumper and footsteps". This is a high vehicle so it made it.

I felt good for having brought Chetak into my life and understood the impact approach, ramp break over and departure angles make in real life...!!
I am posting this here [the entire incident w/o any edit] Thanks for sharing Dev

I haven't tried any shenanigans with my 4WD and I don't plan to either. Have been bitten once, but wasn't my fault, really. But still, I will take upon this as I thought a 4WD had made me ambitious.

Quite a few friends do own Fortuners/Pajero SFX and one Sport and I always, unfailingly compare [in my mind, w/o uttering a word] about the difference in the GC as well as the approach angle. The rampover angle might not be much difference [visible to naked eye, don't have data] but GC in Fortuner and Pajero Sport is huge. The new Endevour appears to have taken things forward.

As said, I got this not to off road but not to turn back on my way if the 4WD can cross that obstacle w/o putting itself or the occupants in jeopardy.

Even yesterday was doing a road recce [my work] and had to travel close to 10 kilometers in 1st gear w/o any A pedal input. 3 times, had to engage 4H and once 4L came to rescue.

Had I been on the trail of Kolukkumalai, I would have chosen to tread carefully, would have gotten down to clear the rocks manually. I do not face any shame in turning back if I know it might be tricky, call me a coward if you will, but isn't worth seeing your ride suffering just because you bit more than you could chew.

Explorer is 10 kms shy of 16K and the modulator hasn't arrived still. Do hear that humming sound on & off.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 09:51   #168
Team-BHP Support

The vacuum modulators [yes, there are two of them for the EGR] were changed yesterday. The hoses connecting to it are supposed to be changed as well. It was not available and is supposedly in order/transit.

I was discussing this with BHPian 1100D and he did suggest changing the hoses. I did speak with my mechanic over this and he said that changing of hoses may not be required as it is a new car, but M&M and the tech person overseeing Bihar suggests to get them changed.

I believe this should solve the issue for once and all. Thanks to Mr. Wasim Raza for taking interest in this personally and getting things done and a big to dear 1100D.

I would ask M&M to have more stringent criterion as far as vendor parts go.
Old 19th March 2016, 09:41   #169
Team-BHP Support

It wasn't all quiet for Explorer, it did a small trip to UP in the last week of February.

Route was Purnia - Muzaffarpur - Patna - Ara - Sasaram - GT road - Varanasi

A small trip to Vindhyachal

And back via Varanasi - Bodh Gaya - Rajgir - Mokama - Barauni, Begusarai - Purnia

Trip read close to 1450 kms. Did driving in all sorts of conditions, state highways, bad roads [after exiting NH-2, towards Vindhaychal] congestion [Patna, Varanasi] and super roads on NH 57 & to some extent on NH-2.

I have removed the last row of seats & now, any kind of luggage isn't an issue at all, but now have to use it as a strict, 4 seater.

The SUV is super fun to drive. The best part is, a slight flash of those headlamps is enough to move traffic out of your way on NH's. Gets immense respect on road. I find the brakes to be not so good but this is where the rambling ends, its all positive. I got the AC filter cleaned prior to this trip and on NH 2, at 14:00 hours, it was bone chilling with temp set at 24.

At the famous BHU.
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-am0ydes0nnei0w_xmobhc8eqebp8s5_9wryodlyg8fqw.jpg

Koilwar bridge, Ara
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-amxnqiloc4kh1bqkkw0aknu8zudupihwy45j58nbf.jpg

SH before Sasaram
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-anuvta4hegxd9rymnohmakp5wstlu1meraccap20tbu7.jpg

The hose for EGR has arrived, shall get it fitted shortly.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 10:33   #170
BANNED

Quote:
A small trip to Vindhyachal.
Ah, brings back old memories. Which route did you take from Varanasi to Vindhyachal? How is the road now?
How many passengers and what mileage did you get?
Old 19th March 2016, 17:28   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ah, brings back old memories. Which route did you take from Varanasi to Vindhyachal? How is the road now?
How many passengers and what mileage did you get?
I took the GT road till Auai GT road crossing [https://www.google.co.in/maps/@25.26...2.5625317,16z]
took a left and went over river Ganges by Shastri bridge. In general, this road was bad and worse in the trip.

Four of us & my daughter. Didn't really calculate the average but ~10.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 07:26   #172
Team-BHP Support

One of the few places which I visit on way to work. 4L helps to cross that bridge or you have to wade through that water.

Service will be done in the next 7-10 days and will be availing extended warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsappimage20160428.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 07:10   #173
Team-BHP Support

20,000 kms service was carried yesterday.

With filter/s and oil change, the bill came at Rs. 36xx. Gel type AC filter wasn't available hence skipped that. Shall do once it is available as well as the hose for EGR module.

By mistake, the dealership was stocking M-Eagle [erstwhile Xylo] hose which matched previous gen Scorpios without any issue, in the new one, the length was a bit short. Has been ordered yesterday.

There were 2 small issues as well. One was, the fuel indicating bar had developed a mind of its own, it used to show zero bars and the reserve LED used to be come up. This had happened thrice in the past ~1000kms. As per the technician, he has flashed the console, if problem stays, there will be a change of instrument cluster.

Second was, a bit of water leak from AC pipe inside the cabin, this used to happen once in a blue moon, very rare. That has been looked into as well.

Apart from oil, filter changes, my mechanic cleans & scrubs all the brake components, checks all the oils [diff & axle], every component in the chassis and then hands over the keys to me.

There has been no rattles, squeaks to speak of and the car feels as good as new.

A friend dropped in yesterday and ended up booking the adventure edition. The only thing I liked in the LE was/is the placement of reverse camera and smoked reverse lamps.

Got extended warranty for another 2 years [mine std warranty will run out in December] at Rs. 22,514 and RSA for Rs. 1,916.

On NH 57, near Kosi bridge, I tried to max the SUV out and it was super stable save for hell lot of wind noise.

In a dilemma as to which tire to go for http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...a-scorpio.html
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 09:15   #174
Senior - BHPian

You didn't mention what did you max it out to.
Old 15th May 2016, 08:35   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
You didn't mention what did you max it out to.
You sure do not want me to earn an infraction, do you

Changed the AC filter which was being made available. There are two type/s of AC filters, one gel type and one mesh type. As per AC technician, mesh type lets some dust escape inside which in result will start clogging the cooling coil, not worth the saving of approx Rs. 200. The gel type is priced at Rs. 575.

But, please do not try to clean or dust the gel type filter. As the gel holding the dust travels further inside. This is true for gel type air-filter as well.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 21:30   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Finally, after lots of ifs & buts, got the EGR hose changed. Thanks [again] to 1100D for pointing this out. Scorpio is smoother now & simply purrs.

The stretch after Dalkola till Islampur, it makes sure, even the revered Germans can't stay on its tail.

Scorpio is at ~21,000 kms and now mostly sees trips on either NH-31 or NH-57 [EW corridor]. Don't use it to commute much in it.

Got the float of fuel tank looked into as well, it was acting funny, it used to show reserve at places, especially after tanking it up, would have gotten it replaced [under warranty] had it been made in stock.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 08:32   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, after lots of ifs & buts, got the EGR hose changed. Thanks [again] to 1100D for pointing this out. Scorpio is smoother now & simply purrs.

The stretch after Dalkola till Islampur, it makes sure, even the revered Germans can't stay on its tail.

Scorpio is at ~21,000 kms and now mostly sees trips on either NH-31 or NH-57 [EW corridor]. Don't use it to commute much in it.

Got the float of fuel tank looked into as well, it was acting funny, it used to show reserve at places, especially after tanking it up, would have gotten it replaced [under warranty] had it been made in stock.
What was the issue for which the hose was changed? I tried searching in your thread but could not find anything.
Old 10th June 2016, 18:13   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I have removed the last row of seats & now, any kind of luggage isn't an issue at all, but now have to use it as a strict, 4 seater.
Brings back old memories. I had bought the Scorpio mhawk 4x4 7 seater version with front facing third row thinking of the additional seating capacity. However, the third row practically sat at home most time due to lack of luggage space. That is why I always suggest people to get the side facing third row as the front facing is pretty much uselss for long trips unless you are willing to put a luggage rack on top.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 09:03   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
What was the issue for which the hose was changed? I tried searching in your thread but could not find anything.
The issue stemmed from here and some references are on this page as well along with others.

A slight hum kind of noise is still there when I am trying to maneuver w/o any A pedal input or trying to move away in 2nd gear from a very slow pace [w/o clutch]. The technician over phone mentions that it is common in new Scorpio and this wasn't there in VLX. Will take it to diagnose and shall update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Brings back old memories. I had bought the Scorpio mhawk 4x4 7 seater version with front facing third row thinking of the additional seating capacity. However, the third row practically sat at home most time due to lack of luggage space. That is why I always suggest people to get the side facing third row as the front facing is pretty much uselss for long trips unless you are willing to put a luggage rack on top.
Despite putting a luggage rack, no one would want to sit in the 3rd front facing seat, there is literally no leg-room to speak of. As a 4 seater, the comfort is unparalleled but the moment there is a 5th passenger is involved, you get a head-ache.

The conventional seats do make much sense, though not as comfortable. Can the conventional seats be fitted?
Old 11th June 2016, 12:08   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Despite putting a luggage rack, no one would want to sit in the 3rd front facing seat, there is literally no leg-room to speak of.
I am not sure if the new Scorpio is bigger inside. But the middle row captain's seats can be slid forward to make some room for the third row passenger. However, this means that the middle row leg room now gets compromised.

Finally, it comes to interior packaging and experience. If you see a Innova & Scorpio side by side. The Scorpio Body is much bigger than the Innova's in terms of length width and height. However, the Innova has managed the interior space much better. You have a usable third row and space at the back to stack 2/3 overhead bin sized suitcases.

Quote:
The conventional seats do make much sense, though not as comfortable. Can the conventional seats be fitted?
I considered it and it can be done. The problem is that the conventional middle row doesn't recline. It is fixed due to the side facing seat blocking the back reast from being reclined. Since the body is the same, I am sure mounting points for all styles of seats will be there.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed