Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2016, 10:08   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

IMO, you did the right thing not to persuade M&M to change the chassis. Agree chassis replacement isn't as complicated as Engine/Gearbox replacement. However, factory fit is factory fit, period. Discovering more issues to deal with is the last thing you want to find once you get the car back from the dealership.

Monsoon are here and trust me you will continue to have fun with the Explorer! Just make sure to clean everything inside out everytime you are done with slush/country trails.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 19:49   #197
Team-BHP Support

The ORVM's are India friendly. An auto got too close for comfort and the RH ORVM got folded the opposite side at the extreme end, but thankfully no damage to either the cover or glass. The plastic shroud got jutted out but with pressing a bit from the SUV's key, it was back to normal.

I am not very particular about the SUV's cleanliness from outside [especially in this weather] but thanks to my cleaner, I have a sparkling clean interior everytime the truck goes for a wash. The 3D mats do help the cause.
Old 18th July 2016, 10:47   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The ORVM's are India friendly. An auto got too close for comfort and the RH ORVM got folded the opposite side at the extreme end, but thankfully no damage to either the cover or glass. The plastic shroud got jutted out but with pressing a bit from the SUV's key, it was back to normal.
Good to hear that! Although my solution is even better, with the lift, reaching to the OVRM is even harder for these nuisance creating auto-walas.

I don't even have to worry about bikers zig-zagging around. I give them enough space and time to clear up, even when some idiot gets too close, I know there is no issue since their scratch causing weapons (foot pegs, silencer protectors etc.) are well below my car's body line. I just hope no biker fell on the car sideways, that's it!

Quote:
I am not very particular about the SUV's cleanliness from outside [especially in this weather] but thanks to my cleaner, I have a sparkling clean interior everytime the truck goes for a wash. The 3D mats do help the cause.
With our recent OTRs and Excursions, the best thing I did was to find a FNWS (Friendly Neighborhood Washing Station)! This guy nearby my place thoroughly washes my car (underbody and all), cleans the interior properly and put on Formula 1 Polish using proper pads, all for INR 400/per visit!

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_1802.jpg

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_1804.jpg

Last edited by Ace F355 : 18th July 2016 at 10:58.
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 09:46   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Hella twin tone horns- One of the OE horns had gone bad, hence got them replaced. Now these complement my other set- Roots Megasonic horns beautifully.
And I got the Megasonics installed to complement the Red Grills.

Now, I realize as to how stress free driving has become. Truckers on 90% of the occasion did hear the Hellas, but cyclists/bikers, pedestrians and auto guys, most of them having ear phones plugged in and or were playing music directly from phone were the ones who didn't budge. It was becoming frustrating, heck, in some villages at 20:00 hrs, people didn't move despite the glare from lamps, they wait for you to sound the horn

This is why I *HAD TO* install the Roots Megasonic. Had no other option. Using it either on highways or village markets and using judiciously. A slight tweet is enough to alert people.

Have done 25,600 kms and it is humming along just fine.

This is how they look.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-roots.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 11:48   #200
M35
BHPian

Quote:
And I got the Megasonics installed to complement the Red Grills.
It does help, though very harsh to the ears unfortunately. Mine is going strong even after 7 years, just had to replace relay once. Hope they are bolted in sturdily. These days I rarely use it with my little one on board most of the time.

Quote:
It was becoming frustrating, heck, in some villages at 20:00 hrs, people didn't move despite the glare from lamps, they wait for you to sound the horn
Very true.
Earlier I thought it was just the 'mallus', only to know it is national trait unfortunately.
Quote:
Have done 25,600 kms and it is humming along just fine.
M35 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:27   #201
Team-BHP Support

@Sheel, could you please let me know what is the procedure for engaging 4 Low in your Scorpio? I have the understanding that 4 High can be engaged without pressing clutch, but 4 Low has to be engaged after coming to a full halt and pressing clutch. Please correct me me if I am wrong and sorry if you have posted this earlier.
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:51   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@Sheel, could you please let me know what is the procedure for engaging 4 Low in your Scorpio? I have the understanding that 4 High can be engaged without pressing clutch, but 4 Low has to be engaged after coming to a full halt and pressing clutch. Please correct me me if I am wrong and sorry if you have posted this earlier.
This is where I took the help of dear friend 1100D. I had his instructions & used to read it every time prior to engaging 4H or 4L.

His message was to keep the car in neutral, press the brake, press the clutch and wait for the 4L icon to be static [which takes around ~7 secs]. But I do this for 4H as well. I wait for 4H to be engaged, roll a bit and then engage 4L.

While disengaging from 4L, I roll in reverse for a bit, just a bit, don't do this for 4H. Sometimes have gone to 2H from 4H while moving off.

Sadly had to change my phone, else would have copy-pasted the message.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:16   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...While disengaging from 4L, I roll in reverse for a bit, just a bit, don't do this for 4H..
I always wanted to ask this since never had to do this in my jeep: how convenient is it (the reversing) in a real life situation when you have vehicles behind? I mean did you face this issue any time?
Also coming to the engagement itself, has there been occasions when it didn't engage when needed?
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:31   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
how convenient is it (the reversing) in a real life situation when you have vehicles behind? I mean did you face this issue any time?
Also coming to the engagement itself, has there been occasions when it didn't engage when needed?
As mentioned, if there is traffic build up, I don't reverse in 4H, there is not much need, but in 4L, I do [there is no need for this as well in the new gen Scorpio because of auto (flush) locking hubs] In 4L, there is no body behind to honk or irritate, hence have that liberty.

As far as engaging 4H or 4L goes, in my Scorpio, both have engaged without fail every-time I have activated either. I found a bit difficult to engage 4L in a Thar but maybe because I wasn't used to it, over time it just might be ok, but it isn't as easy as the Scorpio.
Old 23rd August 2016, 14:26   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned, if there is traffic build up, I don't reverse in 4H, there is not much need, but in 4L, I do [there is no need for this as well in the new gen Scorpio because of auto (flush) locking hubs]
So is it like, unlike THAR where it is mandatory to reverse it for some distance (irrespective of H or L) IIRC as per the owner's manual, it is not so for NG Scorpio (only for L may be)? I am slightly confused because even the THAR also, again IIRC, mostly used/ use to come with auto hubs.

Quote:
As far as engaging 4H or 4L goes, in my Scorpio, both have engaged without fail every-time I have activated either. I found a bit difficult to engage 4L in a Thar but maybe because I wasn't used to it, over time it just might be ok, but it isn't as easy as the Scorpio.
Flick of a switch definitely should be easier than slotting a lever; however the electronic actuation of 4wd used to malfunction many times as i 've gone through some testimonials. Good that if there is no more additional requirement of waterproofing the connectors for a reliable 4wd engagement.
Old 23rd August 2016, 22:19   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I always wanted to ask this since never had to do this in my jeep: how convenient is it (the reversing) in a real life situation when you have vehicles behind?
Reversing in the older Scorpio 4WD and in the Thar CRDe is purely to disengage the Free Wheeling Hubs and not for the 4WD. So in the rare situtation you find that you cannot reverse, you can disengage 4WD using the Lever/Switch and continue driving with your Front hubs engaged. Nothing will happen. You can disengage the Front hubs a convenient time/place later.

There is no damage to the vehicle when running in 2WD with your front hubs engaged.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 13:30   #207
Team-BHP Support

The Engine LED glows on the instrument console and there was a bit of power loss. Shut off the engine, pulled up the bonnet, found nothing amiss.

Started the engine & LED went away. This was between a fast highway drive between Siliguri and Patna (a stopover for night at home) Will get it looked into at Patna and if nothing serious will get it sorted at Purnia. Shall update.
Old 12th September 2016, 17:52   #208
BANNED

Quote:
The Engine LED glows on the instrument console and there was a bit of power loss. Shut off the engine, pulled up the bonnet, found nothing amiss.
Looks like a loose contact somewhere, did you check the usual suspects? EGR, vacuum modulator, MAF sensor, clutch pedal sensor and the acc pedal sensor?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 21:34   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Looks like a loose contact somewhere, did you check the usual suspects? EGR, vacuum modulator, MAF sensor, clutch pedal sensor and the acc pedal sensor?
Usual suspect, the boost pressure issue strikes again. Despite changing hose and the vacuum modulator two times.

Let us see what solution is provided at Purnia. I got it checked at Patna and this not being a major issue, I can drive it to Purnia.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-image.jpeg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 21:36   #210
BANNED

Quote:
Usual suspect, the boost pressure issue strikes again. Despite changing hose and the vacuum modulator two times.
And what is that cruise control error?

Most Viewed