Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2016, 09:05   #226
Team-BHP Support

2 years up!

24 months passed and I realized this when I made a payment towards the renewal for insurance.

Scorpio is at 31,5xx kms now.

And is going as great as ever. There are faint rattles on very bad roads from LH rear captain seat [unladen] and I believe torquing will solve that. Or maybe some spray of WD-40.

Have not been able to go on a holiday thanks to work but I am enjoying commuting 145 kms 2/3 times a week [shared between this & VLX].

The other aspects mentioned in this post still hold true and I continue to enjoy driving this gem.

Might get a tire change for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsapp-image-20161213-08.37.30-1.jpeg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsapp-image-20161213-08.37.30-2.jpeg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-whatsapp-image-20161213-08.37.30.jpeg  

Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 08:26   #227
Team-BHP Support

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

RWD's are fun? Yes. This top heavy SUV churns out only 120 BHP and has a measely 280 NM of torque but is enough to light up the rear tires in 2nd gear corners. It is amazingly fun. And I didn't do this on purpose. Was getting late and was pushing through the corners. Was amazed to experience the rear giving up and howling in protetst and then slowly sliding when given full A pedal treatment.

Poor Bridgestones

Scorpio is at 33,5xx kms.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 12:10   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
RWD's are fun? Yes. This top heavy SUV churns out only 120 BHP and has a measely 280 NM of torque but is enough to light up the rear tires in 2nd gear corners. It is amazingly fun. And I didn't do this on purpose. Was getting late and was pushing through the corners. Was amazed to experience the rear giving up and howling in protetst and then slowly sliding when given full A pedal treatment.

Poor Bridgestones

Scorpio is at 33,5xx kms.
FUN? Isn't it prone to toppling? I mean, not doubting your driving credentials but it's quite a scary feeling in a SUV, IMO - the rear giving up.

Happened with me once while I was on the hills and didn't realize there was black ice on the road. On the next corner, I was the scariest I have ever been in the driver's seat! Phew!

I love to push the hatches and sedans around the corners, but haven't been able to gather enough courage to do the same with it.
Old 25th January 2017, 14:09   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
FUN? Isn't it prone to toppling? I mean, not doubting your driving credentials but it's quite a scary feeling in a SUV, IMO - the rear giving up.:
How fast would it br in 2nd gear...40kmph? Not enough for it to topple.

And its done when I can see through the entire corner.
Old 25th January 2017, 21:32   #230
BANNED

Quote:
Was getting late and was pushing through the corners. Was amazed to experience the rear giving up and howling in protetst and then slowly sliding when given full A pedal treatment.
You brought back fond memories of Hariya and me on a lot of highways on the Western Ghats and the Himalayas....!!!

Once you get a hang of the Scorpio, doing the "Singham move" (of course at a safe location with requisite pre cautions) is easily possible and immense fun.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 09:09   #231
Team-BHP Support

At a conversation with few politicians/contarctors, I was surprised to learn that despite the new gen Scorpio doing 1L+ kilometers, nothing much has gone wrong.

These people have fleet of SUV's below 40L, you name it, they have it. Ford, Mitsubishi to Toyota. Ya, Captiva and the rare Trailblazer as well.

All were happy when they were comparing their VLX's with S10's. No slave cylinder issue, no AC issue, no turbo issue, nothing. Almost as reliable as their famed Japanese SUV's and to take in the fact that the Scorpio is their beater SUV.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 09:27   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No slave cylinder issue, no AC issue, no turbo issue, nothing.
No issues even with the vacuum modulators?

But it's good to know that the new gen Scorpio is remaining trouble free even in the hands of people who aren't that obsessed about its maintenance as us.

Cheer,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 10:50   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
No issues even with the vacuum modulators?
I will conclude as mine being a one-off case and thanks for pointing out

But 1L+ kms on 3 S10's without any suspension work or any other is amazing to say the least, especially considering when its arch rival continues to be ridden with niggles.
Old 10th February 2017, 11:49   #234
BANNED

Quote:
I will conclude as mine being a one-off case and thanks for pointing out

But 1L+ kms on 3 S10's without any suspension work or any other is amazing to say the least, especially considering when its arch rival continues to be ridden with niggles.
Absolutely agreed...!!!

In fact, reliability, especially in the long term has what has kept the Scorpio going strong amongst personal users for a long time now.

Its arch rival is not ridden with niggles, they are features to keep you intrigued about it all the time and to help you bond with the truck.

You dont buy a Safari, you marry it.

Having said that, apart from stuff that is kinda standard fare with it like an erratic AC adjustment, iffy front windows and a moody central locking, nothing much seems to go wrong with the Varicor 400 too.

Of course, we do not have too many examples to compare it with the Scorpio though.
Old 10th February 2017, 13:41   #235
Senior - BHPian

Ahem. Ok. Arch Rival ridden with niggles.
That is an interesting point. Could you list them out so that I can keep and eye and get them all sorted in the all-encompassing Gold AMC with zero bills which Mahindra does not offer.

4 visits of a working shift each for regular maintenance service is too much unreliability in its first year with 26K kms you see.
Oh did I mention ZERO bills too! Totally unreliable! Man I have file a complain now.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 16:53   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Ahem. Ok. Arch Rival ridden with niggles.
That is an interesting point. Could you list them out so that I can keep and eye and get them all sorted in the all-encompassing Gold AMC with zero bills which Mahindra does not offer.

4 visits of a working shift each for regular maintenance service is too much unreliability in its first year with 26K kms you see.
Oh did I mention ZERO bills too! Totally unreliable! Man I have file a complain now.
Bro, no sarcasm taken

While I do frequent the Varicor & Storme Official threads, I don't update myself with every passing page and I have seen few niggles being reported here & then.

If not (if I am misinformed or read more than what I should have) then there should be no cause of worry, should it? And yeah, Happy Birthday
Old 10th February 2017, 18:28   #237
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Could you list them out so that I can keep and eye and get them all sorted
Let me try.

Erratic front windows and a moody AC.

thinking....thinking....still thinking...

But then, 26k kms is too early to comment. Let's revisit this once your truck/or a truck you know has crossed 100k km. That would give a fair comparison.

Quote:
And yeah, Happy Birthday
How did you know it? Now that you've spilt the beans, Happy Birthday from my side too..!!

Last edited by n.devdath : 10th February 2017 at 18:29.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 22:33   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At a conversation with few politicians/contarctors, I was surprised to learn that despite the new gen Scorpio doing 1L+ kilometers, nothing much has gone wrong.

All were happy when they were comparing their VLX's with S10's. No slave cylinder issue, no AC issue, no turbo issue, nothing. Almost as reliable as their famed Japanese SUV's and to take in the fact that the Scorpio is their beater SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
But it's good to know that the new gen Scorpio is remaining trouble free even in the hands of people who aren't that obsessed about its maintenance as us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
....In fact, reliability, especially in the long term has what has kept the Scorpio going strong amongst personal users for a long time now.
As someone who is sitting on the fence for sometime looking for a 4wd affordable SUV and potentially zeroing on the Scorpio s4+ 4wd because of lack of option in 'that' price range, these statements definitely look to be really encouraging. By and large it appears the new generation version has taken care of most of the teething issues and have been doing well. However still there looks to be a good no of complaints if one keeps the eye on the social media all around including the official Scorpio facebook page. The QA/QC related issue on Mahindra's side definitely still exists and this is the only fear that it is still to some extent on the destiny how reliably the particular vehicle delivered to a customer performs.

Last edited by Kandisa : 4th March 2017 at 22:34. Reason: formatting
Old 4th March 2017, 22:40   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
However still there looks to be a good no of complaints if one keeps the eye on the social media all around including the official Scorpio facebook page.
This is interesting. Would you be able to post a few issues here from the other sources you mentioned?
Old 5th March 2017, 00:08   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is interesting. Would you be able to post a few issues here from the other sources you mentioned?
As i 've already mentioned one major source is the official facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/MahindraScorpio/

Additional links:
http://www.complaintboard.in/complai...io-l19943.html

http://www.grahakseva.com/complaints...-since-2-month

As per these descriptions, specifically for the new model, looks like the rusting related issues are not that uncommon apart from few instances related to issues in AC/clutch parts/low quality parts. I would be happy though if all these turn out to be 'one-off' kinds of issues.

Last edited by Kandisa : 5th March 2017 at 00:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks