Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2015, 00:29   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

Congratulations Sheel, the new scorpio is looking real good in black! Too bad that I missed meeting you and your explorer this time. There is always a next time though..
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 15:28   #47
BHPian

Congrats on the new car, wish you many happy miles with it. It's interesting to read that 4wd handles better than the 2wd given the same suspension. How much did the s10 4wd cost you on road, all this hoolah about the bouncy wobbly ride of the scropio and that is was much like its predecessor and all isn't that much true is it.
santoshr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 18:12   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
Congrats on the new car, wish you many happy miles with it. It's interesting to read that 4wd handles better than the 2wd given the same suspension. How much did the s10 4wd cost you on road, all this hoolah about the bouncy wobbly ride of the scropio and that is was much like its predecessor and all isn't that much true is it.
Thanks

The Car's ex-showroom was 13.01 or 13.05 then. With everything, the cost was then close to 14.5.

Now, the ex-showroom is 13.4X, a steep increase, OTR should be quite close to 15 now.

While I haven't driven the wheels off the new W105 2WD Scorpio, it for sure handles better than the earlier 2WD iteration. You can feel the instant change.

The 4WD, no exaggeration and no cliche but you got to drive it on a series of corners to actually believe as to how flat a Scorpio is driving.

It is calm and composed. My wish list for my Scorpio would be a taller 5th or an overdrive 6th gear. FE begins to dip after you enter the 60+ MPH zone.

But I am not complaining, I can sit in the saddle 24X7 and just cruise along, something which I was not able to do in other vehicles.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 18:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thanks

It is calm and composed. My wish list for my Scorpio would be a taller 5th or an overdrive 6th gear. FE begins to dip after you enter the 60+ MPH zone.
Probably because your vehicle is new, once you cover the miles, you'll have this go northwards (i'e optimum FE being turned at a higher speed). However, aerodynamics remain same, so its probably still going to progressively turn into a guzzler past 100.
Old 7th March 2015, 22:12   #50
Team-BHP Support

I thought my TPMS was not working. Yes, it was silent for close to 3 months. No alerts, nothing.

Today, there was an alert for RR wheel. I didn't check as to what pressure it was for the alert, instead filled up with the manual air-pressure pump which is in the trunk. Will get it checked tomorrow.

Meanwhile, my Explorer is yet to Explore. I did christen it that, but due to some issues, I can take it out properly when winters come again.

Has done close to 3,000 kms. Nothing has gone loose, everything works fine, as it should.

Have done two ~400 kms drive. Will do one ~200 kms drive tomorrow. The Scorpio is doing just what I got her for. Gobbling kilometers, not throwing a fit at sight of poor, bad roads or speed breakers. Has been returning between 12 to 14 kilometers to a liter.

The low beams are not as white as the Fortuner, but do good job, in high beam mode, its very good. No need to upgrade for those all night marathon drives.

I do miss an XUV's 6th gear and more grunty/fuel efficient engine on those highway drives, but there was a trade-off in terms of low GC and looks (personal opinion)

It is fulfilling my needs to a T. Couldn't have asked for more. Happy with the purchase
Old 19th March 2015, 09:52   #51
Team-BHP Support

There was this long, thick nail pierced in the RR wheel. Maybe someday, I swap the tire with the spare wheel.

Car is purring along. I just can't get enough of this 2.2 its so tractable & torquey, I sometimes have to watch (the console) to see, whether I am in 3rd or 4th gear.

I had thought to change my speakers, but will not do so. Reasons below and that I am ok with the sound provided.

Just need good quality seat covers now. Maybe after the 1st service.

Fitted Mahindra's reverse camera. It is OE. It was an impulsive decision which I regret.
  • I don't want any extra fitments. No wiring or opening of any components. It just spoils the experience and the flush fitted feel from the factory.
  • In this case, a wire is attached from the HU and taken to the back, across the floor.
  • Some splicing & attachment is done from the LH side, in the boot area where external fuel opening mechanism is located.
  • Because no body had installed a rear-camera at my place, it turned out to be a 5+ hours job.
  • The head electrician called up all the places (Patna) and no one had any clue.
  • He called up someone at Jamshedpur who informed him that some other software needs to be downloaded and then flashed.
While the picture quality is good, I wanted it to inform me of things which are just near/below the bumper. Sharp objects, too high stone chips (scraped mud-flaps) etc. But because of the 4WD's tow-hook, the camera had to be positioned on the upper bumper.

I much prefer to take a circle prior to moving/reversing and peek under to see if any animals have taken shelter. I am into the habit of checking my mirrors for reversing & do not even look at the screen.

It was a better affair to check mirrors and depend on sensor's for that purpose.

If some day, the reverse camera stops working, I will simply throw it away and replace the gaping hole in the bumper with a parking sensor found in abundance with many cars lying in the junk area (total loss)

Two pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-20150318021031.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-20150318021030.jpg  

Old 25th March 2015, 08:08   #52
J.Ravi

Quote:
Car is purring along.
Belated congratulations and best wishes, Sheel. I wish you and your new 4WD Scorpio infinite miles - both on and off road - with smiles. 'See you on 5 April 2015 morning at Purnea on my way to Siliguri.
  (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 12:13   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Fitted Mahindra's reverse camera. It is OE. It was an impulsive decision which I regret.
Congrats and best wishes for future miles. Looks like your camera is not positioned in the center. Mounting above foot board does crop few area but definitely better than no view at all.

Also, request you and 1100D to evaluate the 2WD and 4WD from a neutral standpoint. I am not sure of the steering response at slow speed , turning radius etc of 4WD compared to 2WD . I would assume that 2WD will score better on those ground but not sure. In no way 2WD can match 4WD to conquer tough terrains. Maybe a separate thread of the comparison might help.
ManuMacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 14:34   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Belated congratulations and best wishes, Sheel. I wish you and your new 4WD Scorpio infinite miles - both on and off road - with smiles. 'See you on 5 April 2015 morning at Purnea on my way to Siliguri.
Thanks. Yup, looking forward to meet you Sir Please do keep me in loop once you are close to Purnia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Congrats and best wishes for future miles. Looks like your camera is not positioned in the center. Mounting above foot board does crop few area but definitely better than no view at all.
Thanks Manu.

The tow hook being the reason of the camera's odd positioning. Oddly though, I do get the panorama view. I wanted the camera mounting to be low, so that I can see things just below & around the bumper.

Maybe, shall do so in the 1st service. Or maybe take it off. I don't use it much anyways.

Quote:
Also, request you and 1100D to evaluate the 2WD and 4WD from a neutral standpoint. I am not sure of the steering response at slow speed , turning radius etc of 4WD compared to 2WD . I would assume that 2WD will score better on those ground but not sure. In no way 2WD can match 4WD to conquer tough terrains. Maybe a separate thread of the comparison might help.
Ha Ha.

For that my dear friend 1100D will have to spend some time when he is shuttling between Calcutta to Siliguri & beyond [to the hills]. That depends on him.

Turning radius is better in the 2WD. This is mentioned in the manual as well.
Steering is heavier than my 2WD VLX.
Old 26th March 2015, 21:56   #55
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Just saw the thread. Belated congrats. Great review.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 22:36   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Coincidentally, just back driving the normal 2WD S10. Steering is lighter. The way it is in my 2WD VLX, almost.

Differences - Turning radius is smaller, but in practicality I didn't feel this. Took few U turns and back to back turns.

Suspension on the 4WD is more compliant but then, you have to sample a 4WD first. In isolation, it is very good & a huge improvement over the 2WD VLX. [But this TD car was loaded by 6 passengers & with load, the ladder on frames do have a settled ride]

The 2WD is noticeably peppier despite having 6 guys on board. Yes, I could feel it. Had done close to 10,000 kms [service reminder chime comes on] while mine is closing on 3,500 kms. I know the more kilometers I log-in, the smoother this gem of an engine will become.

While at one end, you have positives of more settled ride/handling (by small margin) and the ability to rough it out or explore places or go that extra distance, the peppiness, lower fuel-efficiency and extra cost are the negatives IMHO. Do your maths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Just saw the thread. Belated congrats. Great review.
Thanks Ajay, appreciate it

Last edited by Sheel : 26th March 2015 at 22:37.
Old 27th March 2015, 00:00   #57
BHPian

Thanks Sheel. Wish you and your explorer many miles ahead. I know there are lot of great places to explore nearby Purnea.
ManuMacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 22:16   #58
Team-BHP Support

Remember the first things in life? First salary, first kiss, first time on an air-plane (for us cattle/economy class)

For enthusiasts? First wheelie, stoppie, hitting a ton on 2 wheels & 4, redlining it for the first time & smelling carbon deposits getting away. I still remember the day I first wheel spinned my bike in a corner. Those are moments you live & experience.

Few experiences last a life time. Today was one such experience. Was going to meet someone when a tractor's trolly broke in the middle of the road. There were no issues with a small car, but a Scorpio would not have made it to the other side from the left, so had no option but to drive into the ditch & get over the other side.

Clambering down required some technique as I simply couldn't drive down with wheels pointed straight. But that was a non-brainer, there were no wheel slippage and I got off the other side [was in 4H mode]

When I was back some 2 hours later, the trolley was still there & I had to take the same route again. Half way into the climb, the soft earth started to pull the Scorpio & the Scorpio began to veer into the tree.

Abandoned the move & let the vehicle roll down a bit, turned the wheels to the right & gunned it after I knew I had cleared the small tree. I could sense the front wheel slipping but the SUV literally flew over.

There were at least 10 tractor drivers aiding the broken trailer & few kids & all of them started clapping & cheering. Felt like a hero

As per them, a tractor with out a trolley could climb this, but with load, never, even with a trolley attached, very few drivers would dare. The tree made things difficult.

Sharing few pictures. It might appear tame, but on my way back, groovy tractor tires had really dug the soil. Night time pics are the blurry ones. Taken on my way back.

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150403_162406.jpg

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150403_162420.jpg

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150403_162428.jpg

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150403_162442.jpg

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150403_184258.jpg

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150403_184308.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150403_162428.jpg
Views:	9489
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1356802

Hero after conquering it all. Didn't even feel anything

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_20150403_163010.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd April 2015 at 22:30.
Sheel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 22:04   #59
Team-BHP Support

Had the pleasure of meeting Mrs & Mr. J.Ravi Sir. We had a nice chat in good weather & discussed XUV, Scorpio, routes & finally my Scorpio's map. There appears to be some issue.

If I don't see it resolved in few days, I will request Ravi Sir to spare few minutes at the Mahindra Dealership [on his way back] and show its infotainment system's responsiveness.

It was an honor meeting you both

[Excuse the Sunday Dressing on my part ]
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_0005.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 23:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Had the pleasure of meeting Mrs & Mr. J.Ravi Sir. We had a nice chat in good weather & discussed XUV, Scorpio, routes & finally my Scorpio's map. There appears to be some issue.

If I don't see it resolved in few days, I will request Ravi Sir to spare few minutes at the Mahindra Dealership [on his way back] and show its infotainment system's responsiveness.
Hi sheel 1st and foremost Congratulations for the new beast and it sure does look devilish in Black . I just as well got myself a Scorpio S10 4x4 but in White (as family restricts) recently and have been enjoying the same privileges as you and facing a few problems which are being worked on. Though I have upgraded a few things in the vehicle itself mostly lights and am looking to upgrade the sound(speakers only) of the vehicle as I am not happy with the level of volume and also the quality, and also why does the volume shoot up with AVC on High and low on off? shouldn't it stay static at its original volume? i have clocked around 1250 kms so far and I have been cursing myself for not doing so earlier, please don't get me wrong i am not into the doors rocking bass culture anymore but more into crisp with right amount of bass which brings a nice smile to your face. But I have been worried about wires (cutting) and also any damage to the electronics as in the infotainment system and also the Voice alert(though i hate it). I have managed to find an ex mahindra electrician and he has assured me there will be no problems with the electronics as he will clip in the new ones with the existing ones, with 2 high low converters But am still worried about the warranty as i have opted for an extended one. When I was at the dealership accessories department i got to know that they too attach the wires similarly like the aftermarket electrician does it. So would that mean i can save my warranty? Now this is where I get confused and am lost. As you have already owned a mahindra and bought one again you would know better, as i am seriously itching to get myself those upgrades. I hope you can help me out there. Regards

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th April 2015 at 05:43. Reason: Extra smileys removed. Please limit usage to 2 smileys per post. Thanks.

Most Viewed