Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2016, 12:36   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

Drove till Barauni & back yesterday & this Scorpio makes so much sense. Bihpur was dusted in one hour and post Bihpur the fun started.

At places, the road has all sort of irregularities and is completely owned by fuel tankers ferrying fuel from Barauni refinery. And these drivers are turning out to be real rowdy. But a hoot from the red grills & flash from those powerful headlamps was enough for them to make way, heck at one place, a 320D was being held-up but I got the right of way.

Post Khagaria, there was an accident, a crane was pulling out the truck, blocking the road. Thanks to 4L, went down the steep incline & climbed back on the main road full of sand + bricks [meant for tractors] and saved a whooping 2 hours as on my way back, the road had just cleared.

I am in awe of the flat & composed ride the Scorpio provided yesterday. The glass & bone-china crockery too held up well in the boot. The steering is a delight with the right amount of feel & feed-back. Much much better than the Yeti. Prior to disowning my POV's [as these attributes are not usually associated with a Scorpio] I would request people to drive a new gen 4WD Scorpio.

Yup, pictures are due, will post few when I stop somewhere to take a break, with this fatigue-free driving, I just don't need to stop to have one.

Happy New Year 2016
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 23:03   #152
BHPian

I have a query.

Is your Scorpio the one with front facing third row or the side facing one? I would prefer a front facing one, and if you have the same , a picture of the third row would be useful.

I have a Figo too but I am thinking of buying a SUV and I am thinking of choosing between the Scorpio and the XUV.

The only issue is I don't want to spend more than 12-13 lakhs on a Scorpio . If I were to spend lets say 16-17 lakhs I would prefer the features, interior quality and safety(6 airbags , ESP, traction control) plus the sunroof that the XUV offers.

I would love to have 4×4 so I am considering the Scorpio S4+ 4×4. It has dual airbags +ABS but misses out on the defogger.

While I have no particular need for 4×4 , the Figo has brought an aversion to driving over speed breakers. Roads in this part of the country are generally good even in the remote villages , except off course when they get battered by incessant rain and flooding like we had last month in Chennai. But I would love to explore off road tracks and am planning to repeat my trip to remote areas of Ladakh which I did last year on a motorcycle.( Hint : XUV would struggle in those places , especially near Tso Morriri and Chushul).

I am planning to get it around June . The defogger or the lack of it is what is causing the confusion plus the fact that s4+ is available only in side facing 3rd row, otherwise I would have brought home a Scorpio by now.
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:28   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Is your Scorpio the one with front facing third row or the side facing one? I would prefer a front facing one, and if you have the same , a picture of the third row would be useful.
This post should answer your question, maybe you skipped few pages.
Old 12th January 2016, 18:13   #154
BHPian

Hi Sheel,

I am planning to buy a S10 4WD. I have driven the old and new Scorpio with side facing last row seats. I want to buy either a 8 seat version with front facing 3rd row or a 7 seat with middle row Captain seat version. I have not driven or sat on these seating configurations as the dealer in my home town has only 7 seat side facing last row Scorpios for test drive and in the yard. Will you be able to comment on the seating comfort of 8 seat Vs 7 Captain seat.
In my case most of the time only 2 adults and 1 kid will be travelling in the vehicle. and some long trips there will be 5 adults and 1 kid. Myself and wife are the tallest of the lot having 5'5" height. All other members will be around 5'1". Will it be comfortable for a person of height 5'1" to sit in the last row of the 8 seat configuration for 200Km - 300 Km drives? Based on your review I am inclined towards Captain seat version. But family is preferring 8 seat version. Hence the dilemma.

Thanks in advance
Old 12th January 2016, 22:12   #155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Will you be able to comment on the seating comfort of 8 seat Vs 7 Captain seat.
The 8 seat configuration makes the middle row better since it can be split, reclined, tilted and folded. Also, a front facing last row is easier to manage on longer distances since passengers feel comfortable. It also increases the cargo capacity since the last row in the 8 seater configuration can easily be removed and kept at home during long drives.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 09:59   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The radio button isn't working as well. Will ask the technician to look into it.
I had not got attended to this, was plain lazy.

On taking this up with dealer, came to know that [on their level] they can neither replace this and the repair time for it would easily extend to almost 2 weeks.

Now, infotainment system carries vital information about the vehicle, it won't bother on odd city commutes but on a long drive, one can't do with out it. ICE, Navigation & TPMS are just few critical info available through infotainment.

Took it up with customer care and it was agreed [after some hiccups] that my infotainment would be available with me on the 2nd day, i.e. I give the infotainment at any time on Monday and can fit it any time on Wednesday.

The same happened & kudos to M&M for this The RPS [reverse parking sensors] weren't working as well which was replaced.

I find the sensor more useful and I *ALWAYS* check out the surroundings prior to reversing the SUV, it really helps.

The Hawk is over 15,000 kms & flying.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:00   #157
Team-BHP Support

The vacuum modulator appears to have some issue.

After a recent drive, I noticed a slight humming noise when I was in 2nd gear w/o any A pedal input. Showed it to two head mechanics at local ASC and they have pointed the culprit as the vacuum modulator. One enthusiastic chap was pointing to the turbo.

Anyways, the part wasn't in stock, so drove back home. At least, the issue appears to be have been diagnosed.

There has been no warning lamp or any other abnormality while driving.

The worst part [as per mechanics] is, this is a regular failure and fails often when Mahindra vehicles get old. Is Mahindra listening [if it is true?]

Scorpio is at 15,6xx kms.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 19:11   #158
BHPian

My 2wd has crossed 16.5 k kms and surprised by the quality issues compared to Jap counterparts . Guess quality come with dedication and putting customer first . Details in Scorpio Review thread.
Old 25th January 2016, 10:09   #159
Team-BHP Support

A small video of pulling out a mini truck, loaded, sunk to its axles. Excuse the video orientation.

Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 14:45   #160
Senior - BHPian

That tow ball should NOT have been used to recover that mini truck. It's a brittle piece of metal and could have broken and flown off. Please use the proper recovery hook under the bumper for any recoveries like this. That tow ball is actually a stupid thing that Mahindra supplies and should be thrown out since we're not towing trailers of motor homes in our country.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 14:58   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vacuum modulator appears to have some issue
Hi,

Which vaccum modulator is causing the noise? From this post, it seems there are 2 of those in the engine bay.

I have also faced this issue (and continue to), but not consistently, The noise is heard maybe once in 2-3 days, and disappears within 15-20 seconds, so am not able to pinpoint which of the 2 modulators is the culprit.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th January 2016 at 15:15.
Old 26th January 2016, 21:13   #162
Team-BHP Support

Navpreet - Thanks Brother, will take note from next time onwards. I always thought it can pull out cars and has done in past, few weighing close to 2 tonnes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I have also faced this issue (and continue to), but not consistently, The noise is heard maybe once in 2-3 days, and disappears within 15-20 seconds, so am not able to pinpoint which of the 2 modulators is the culprit.
I honestly think that if my Scorpio or yours is sent to Nashik plant, even then its engineers might not be able to diagnose as to which modulator is the culprit. If they could find out, they would have rectified the issue by now.

And for me as well, this is not a new issue. Have a look here

Can Mahindra do something about this? Only solace is that I am not stranded in the middle because of this or any other issue.

I am not on twitter, can any of you kind folks send this post's link to Mr. Anand Mahindra, Mr. Pawan Goenka and other seniors at M&M?

I am sending this post's link to the cc@Mahindra.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 08:02   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

. That tow ball is actually a stupid thing that Mahindra supplies and should be thrown out since we're not towing trailers of motor homes in our country.
I'm not a user of a 4WD vehicle but I feel that the tow hook acts as a single point bull bar and can cause significant damage to a rear ending car. I once bumped into a 4WD Scorpio belonging to an MLA and the security chap came out but didn't say a word after looking at my bent number plate and no damage to his vehicle. I was rear ended by a Storme and in turn bumped into the Scorpio in front. The damage was only to my vehicle.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 09:00   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I honestly think that if my Scorpio or yours is sent to Nashik plant, even then its engineers might not be able to diagnose as to which modulator is the culprit. If they could find out, they would have rectified the issue by now.
If your ASC wasn't able to identify which of the 2 vacuum modulators is causing the humming noise, then how were they able to say that it isn't in stock? Or were both not in stock?

Anyway, good luck with bringing this to M&M's attention. They didn't solve the slave cylinder failure issue even though it was happening in a lot of mHawk Scorpios, so I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th January 2016 at 09:05.
Old 27th January 2016, 09:47   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
then how were they able to say that it isn't in stock? Or were both not in stock?
Both vacuum modulators are the same I think. Please have a look here, when I got 'em changed, both appeared clones, w/o any difference/s.

Maybe M&M don't look for perfection, but few customers do. I know of someone who has got a W10 and he is being irritated with humming noise from dashboard or something similar, he is ready to file a law-suit against the company, but doesn't realize that spooky cabins aren't Mahindra's forte.

I am not looking for that, there is a glitch as was in the slave cylinder issue [as rightly pointed by you] and if Mahindra can't cure this for once & for ever, my $$$ will go again to some other manufacturer which isn't Mahindra or Tata. I had to buy a small car and was thinking of the KUV 1OO, but not any longer, similarly, after selling this 4WD S10, I will slog more and buy a brand which doesn't warrant frequent & irritating visits to the ASC.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks