Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 09:28   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Congratulations Sheel.
How is the ride comfort in new model specially sideways throws Scorpio is notorious for ?
Has M&M removed front Auto locking hubs ? are there fixed flanges now or sensor on front diff to actuate front hubs as new Safari Storme?

Regards,
Shubhendra
Been in the Safari/Storme? The ride is like that. Handling is better than both (2WD's, haven't driven a 4X4 Safari/Storme)

No bobbing/pitching or vertical movements.

Appears that they have moved away from auto locking hubs.

1100D - I checked on the 4 Low icon yesterday and after a second or two, after engaging the 4 Low mode, the 4H icon does disappear, so its all good.

Few pictures I clicked yesterday. This was at my mango orchard, the path to which the Figo would have never cleared and was (one of) the reason to sell it off. The unpaved road was further deteriorated by rains & tractors plying over it. No sweat, engaged 4H & didn't even feel anything.

Pictures by phone camera, so quality isn't great.
Attached Thumbnails
Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-1505429_10152592839412596_3793773431203580761_n.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-1506519_10152592839982596_1575309268186153221_n.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-10430497_10152592839682596_2575413323068619258_n.jpg  

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-10422510_10152592840127596_8827989080835490622_n.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 11:33   #32

Congrats for your beast!! Looks amazing!
Old 6th January 2015, 11:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

Why should Mahindra even bother about making the Scorpio an effective 7 seater? When it already has that in the Xylo and even the XUV.

And of the vehicles you mentioned, the XUV does not have a Low range transfer case and the Innova doesn't even have a 4WD!! The thread starters requirement was 4WD and a Ladder frame.
That is precisely my point. We do not have any 4WD ladder frame 7 seaters available at all (not counting the Storme). As you mentioned correctly, we get either one or the other.

Imagine what flexibility and ownership benefits would be available if the same vehicle had that added advantage. I still think it is a missed opportunity by Mahindra, but that is just my opinion.
Old 6th January 2015, 23:49   #34
BHPian

Congratulations on the new Scorpio 4wd. It's in my second favourite colour too, and also the best colour for the new generation Scorpio as it hides some of the design quirks quite well.

Just wanted to make a point about the 4wd auto-locking hubs. Mahindra has moved to an "electronic axle disconnect" feature for the front axle now, which disengages the shaft right next to the front differential, doing away with the need for those protruding Borg Warner auto-locking hubs. (I had the misfortune of having to change one of them - cost Rs. 13,000 plus taxes for one piece!) I have a diagram of this from the launch presentation somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

This one's on my radar too. Will keep watching this thread :-)
Roshun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 09:26   #35
Team-BHP Support

Drove the VLX yesterday. I am still more used to VLX's. The engine appears faster (4WD weight & mine being a new engine), the bonnet is sloped downwards on the VLX.

I really do not know as to why Mahindra messed with the gearlever console and robbed it off cup-holders/phone/coin holders.

Installed Hella Black Magic & Red Grills on the VLX as well. They work :wink: My S10 will just have the red grills, I do not need the auxiliary lamps.
Old 7th January 2015, 12:02   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Congratulations on the new Scorpio 4wd. It's in my second favourite colour too, and also the best colour for the new generation Scorpio as it hides some of the design quirks quite well.

Just wanted to make a point about the 4wd auto-locking hubs. Mahindra has moved to an "electronic axle disconnect" feature for the front axle now, which disengages the shaft right next to the front differential, doing away with the need for those protruding Borg Warner auto-locking hubs. (I had the misfortune of having to change one of them - cost Rs. 13,000 plus taxes for one piece!) I have a diagram of this from the launch presentation somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

This one's on my radar too. Will keep watching this thread :-)
Yes, same thing in Storme. Instead of a mechanical hub, not you have an additional micro controller(or ECU) mounted above the AXLE which does this job of disconnecting the axle.

I am wondering how good is the water proofing. In the past we have seen, a mere water splash can cause problems with the electronic shift on fly mechanism. Now with more electronics sitting pretty low, how will it fare for those wet crossings is anybodies guess.

That said, Maruti knows best. They figured out that having front axle permamently engaged (even in 2WD) impacted FE by just 0.5-1kmpl. However you gain extra reliability due to fewer parts, as locking hubs(auto or otherwise) can fail(the pin mechanism goes kaput).

I think Mahindra Thar also came with a fixed flange setup for some time. It was a perfect solution, but poorly executed due to which some cars faced excessive vibration above 100kmph leading to Mahindra reverting back. If they had stuck to original specification on the Test Thar showcased before launch, the problem would not have come.

I guess, this new "AXLE ECU" solution is the flavor of the season. Only time will tell about this reliability.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 13:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

I think Mahindra Thar also came with a fixed flange setup for some time. It was a perfect solution, but poorly executed due to which some cars faced excessive vibration above 100kmph leading to Mahindra reverting back. If they had stuck to original specification on the Test Thar showcased before launch, the problem would not have come.

I guess, this new "AXLE ECU" solution is the flavor of the season. Only time will tell about this reliability.
Agree Tanveer. I'm loathing this trend of going increasingly electronic for stuff that has to be purely mechanical to be robust. At least on my CRDe 4x4, I have the option of ditching the auto-locking hubs and switching to Lambda manually lockable hubs. But with this new Scorpio, I don't think there's any option other than to rely on the electronics.

It's not just water that one needs to worry about now. The fuel tank in the new Scorpio is made of plastic (which means there's no way you can start a fire under it if diesel gels up in sub-zero conditions, while the older one had a metal tank and a protective plate below it, and you could safely use a gas burner under the tank in extreme cold).

These couple of issues are part of the reason I'm still holding on to my 8-year old CRDe 4x4. Don't feel confident enough to upgrade just yet.
Old 7th January 2015, 13:41   #38
BHPian

Congratulations Sheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Posting few underbody shots.

The first pic is of the part which helped Mahindra reduce the GC from 209mm to some 180...I am not sure. It has 3 screws & is removable.
Doesn't look it has any functional purpose? I guess it is one of the means to cheat the rules and qualify for lower taxes? Taxes of car vs SUV?
Old 8th January 2015, 09:28   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anything to be cautious of? Standing water?

I am not going to purposely take it all over places but if there is water in my path, I will have to cross. Primarily the reason I got this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post

Doesn't look it has any functional purpose? I guess it is one of the means to cheat the rules and qualify for lower taxes? Taxes of car vs SUV?
Thanks.

No, no functional purpose. I think this flap is added to get some benefits in taxes. And I see no wrong in it. If you make stupid rules, be ready for antics like this.
Old 9th January 2015, 17:20   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Sheel, Congrats. I wanted a low budget 4x4 SUV for work. Was toying with the S4 4x4, but decided against it as it didn't have ABS. But now the S4+ has been launched with 4x4 and ABS & Air Bags. Just emailed Mahindra for confirmation and will get one if available.

Quote:
The first pic is of the part which helped Mahindra reduce the GC from 209mm to some 180...I am not sure. It has 3 screws & is removable.
If we remove that plastic thingy, will GC go back to 209? The old Scorpio had GC of only 180 and the center used to scrape on estate roads where the tyre track was rutted. Did you check GC in lowest point of the vehicle besides this plastic flap?
Old 9th January 2015, 19:00   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If we remove that plastic thingy, will GC go back to 209? The old Scorpio had GC of only 180 and the center used to scrape on estate roads where the tyre track was rutted. Did you check GC in lowest point of the vehicle besides this plastic flap?
It is at 209mm, I think I read that somewhere. And that is a dummy anyways.

This is the lowest point in the current Scorpio. Moreover, I think, this Scorpio has more height than even my VLX. It for sure has more height (& maybe more GC) than your M2Di's, EX/S2's.
Old 28th January 2015, 20:23   #42
Team-BHP Support

My Explorer finally met its predecessor, the Marengo*.

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-10955720_10153044331281838_1623684983834425061_n.jpg

Both had ample fun in a short drive which was a mix of fantastic single lane highway and a narrow twistie state highway. Owners exchanged wheels as well and I request 1100D to share his experience of driving my Explorer.

Quote:
. ....
On my Scorpio's report card, it is running fine. No issues. Am happy with my decision.

*Explorer is my 4WD Scorpio (in this thread) and Marengo is 1100D's rocky beige 4WD VLX Scorpio
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 00:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Explorer finally met its predecessor, the Marengo*.

Attachment 1333893

Both had ample fun in a short drive which was a mix of fantastic single lane highway and a narrow twistie state highway. Owners exchanged wheels as well and I request 1100D to share his experience of driving my Explorer.

On my Scorpio's report card, it is running fine. No issues. Am happy with my decision.

*Explorer is my 4WD Scorpio (in this thread) and Marengo is 1100D's rocky beige 4WD VLX Scorpio

I am not sure, if I would be the first one (on this forum) to actually claim to have done a proper evaluation of the new 4WD Scorpio, given that I have already driven a new 2WD scorpio vis-a-vis my own 4x4 Refresh and then a back to back drive of the new 4WD alongwith my own.

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_94301.jpg

With respect to the Old 4x4 refresh, I found the 2wd at par, in terms of Ride and Handling. Was very curious to drive a 4WD on the new platform, mainly because for the first time, both the 2wd and the 4wd share similar front suspension. My hunch was that, this time, there wont be handling difference (given similar suspension) between the variants. I was proven wrong.

In short, the drive experience of the new 4X4 scorpio was brilliant, and this coming from a Ford Ikon 1.6 nxt driver.

This SUV has a very car like handling, the steering feels more direct, body roll is almost non existent, has a very planted feel on the twisty highways. Only thing is that, there is sometimes an upward kick on some potholes, that too only if you lift off the A pedal. The 4WD in even the new guise, is way ahead of the 2WD. Now one may ask, why the difference this time (earlier gen had a different front suspension altogether between the 4WD and the 2WD, but not this gen, sharing similar front suspension parameters). The answer probably lies in lowered center of gravity due to the extra 4WD hardware (front diff, transfer case, front drive shaft etc) sitting low down on the chassis, giving it a much more planted poise.

We drove both the vehicles back to back on same roads, changing cars. The older car was wee bit quicker in terms of responses, probably only boiling down to the new car having its engine still in its early days and probably the new gearbox having taller ratios.

Net-Net both the cars were keeping up with each other irrespective of who was driving what!!

Now, agreed there are some ergonomic glitches that have been done to death on forums and magazines, but no one buys a 4x4 ladder frame SUV for its ergonomic superiority alone. If that aspect is given a lower priority, the 4x4 capability, the much improved ride and handling of this particular variant makes a very strong statement to SUV's twice its price, its that good.

Congrats!

As the sole saving grace though for the older car, probably it has the potential to look better than the new one from only the rear (after retrofitting the new tail lights and the D-pillar cover onto it)

Sheel's Mahindra Scorpio S10 4WD. 1,10,000 kms completed.-img_94271.jpg
1100D is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 19:20   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not sure, if I would be the first one (on this forum) to actually claim to have done a proper evaluation of the new 4WD Scorpio, given that I have already driven a new 2WD scorpio vis-a-vis my own 4x4 Refresh and then a back to back drive of the new 4WD alongwith my own.
For sure one of the few guys to drive both 4X4 back to back and their 2WD iterations.

Quote:
Only thing is that, there is sometimes an upward kick on some potholes, that too only if you lift off the A pedal.
An archiac way of saying, but it does get better with a bit of load and being the lazy guy I am, car is running with showroom tire pressure, I haven't even bothered to check. The TPMS shows pressure as ok, so I am fine with it
Old 1st February 2015, 23:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
car is running with showroom tire pressure, I haven't even bothered to check. The TPMS shows pressure as ok, so I am fine with it
Nope this Upward kick is not related to tyre pressure, it is the upward rebound after a sudden jounce condition. Suspension parameter setup has always been a stuff of wizardy, even for established players. You design the parameters on paper, what you achieve on the components/ground is subject to small variations which also have a cascading effect elsewhere. Besides, there is always a design usage, anything outside that would bring out a few characteristics. However, the question is whether the trait being displayed is too irritating/bothersome. In this case, its not even a problem.

This upward Kick I had even seen in an unladen Ford Expedition and it vanished under load.

Quote:
An archiac way of saying, but it does get better with a bit of load
That's why, in the developed world, they use small sand bags at the rear of Ladder frame based Pickups/SUV's. But why carry dead weight?

In either case, its not a big deal to bother about.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed