Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 16:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Shibujp's VW Polo GT TDI EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Exactly. But pull over the car to the side, turn it off and on and, it's gone - the turbo spools like before. Looks like the wiring harness of the G31 boost sensor has to be renewed. The sensor is located behind the front bumper though. Not readily accessible unless you remove the bumper.

As for OE spares, I thought I'd ask my friend to drop by my previous service centre and pick up the spare filters and ship it to my Chennai address. Does spareshub.com stock all the OE spares?
The turbo effect is there. No issues with that. This is a heavier feeling when revving the engine which i attribute to the more viscous oil. I did notice a similar feeling when switching oils on my oil Swift as well. But there are next to not effect on power delivery so you quickly get used to it. Again this is just a seat of the pants feel so there might be nothing to it too.

As far as OE spares go, a mechanic at a private garage told me that VW service centers are bound by law to hand over spares to a VW owner even if the owner doesn't service the vehicle at the dealer workshop. Have not tried this approach though.

I have been able to source most parts at Spareshub - oil filter, fuel filter, stabilizer links and front strut top mount bushes so far. Please check regarding the prices versus dealer rates though. Some parts are a bit more expensive on Spareshub.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 26th February 2017 at 16:56.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 09:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

The GT completed 3 years an 80K kms mid June. So far it has been a great experience. Enough has been said about the performance and versatility of this model so I am not going to put readers through that again.

Shibujp's VW Polo GT TDI EDIT: Now sold!-odo.jpg

I had to undertake a few wear and tear related issues. First off re-torqued all the three nuts of the swivel joint. It is amazing how this simple procedure silences the suspension.

A couple of my tyres were quite worn out. I feel that the stiff Koni shocks at the rear caused the fronts to wear a lot more than the rears. Even with proper rotation and alignment I ended up with a differential of about 5000 kms between the front and rear sets. Stuck with Yokohma S Drives and got a pair. Put the new ones on the front and moved the old ones on the front to the rear. The S Drives are crap after around 30K kms but till then the grip and braking performance is excellent. A bit prone to punctures though.

The fog light bulb on the left gave up ghost. So got a replacement H8 bulb from Philips. Cost 600 bucks.

Shibujp's VW Polo GT TDI EDIT: Now sold!-bulb.jpg

When I got out the fog lamp enclosure I noticed the adjustment for the beam angle. Never got a chance to try this out on my Swift. Need to try out this on the Polo. A little extra spread on the left would not hurt.

Shibujp's VW Polo GT TDI EDIT: Now sold!-assembly.jpg

The current brake pads were worn out after 40,000kms so got a set of new Bosch brake pads for 1640 bucks and installed them which has improved the braking.

Shibujp's VW Polo GT TDI EDIT: Now sold!-pads.jpg

After around 6000 kms the Mobil 1 Delvac oil seems to be holding up well maintaining a consistent level in comparison to the Mobil 1 that I used previously.

Shibujp's VW Polo GT TDI EDIT: Now sold!-chilling.jpg

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:39   #63
Team-BHP Support

Re: Oil change @74K

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Made a change in oil as well. This time I used Mobil Delvac 1 which is also fully synthetic.

Attachment 1613020
Shibu, I have a query. Does the Delvac 1 5W 40 conform to VW 505 01 standard?. How has your engine held up after this oil change? Did it replace the Magnatec OE 5W40 used by the service centers?

I've sourced Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 which conforms to VW 502 00 and 505 00 but not 505 01.
Old 27th July 2017, 17:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Delvac 1 also conforms to the VW 505 00 standards not VW 505 01. I don't think any oil in the market other than the Castrol one at vw service centers meet this standard.

The engine doesn't seem any worse for wear using Delvac 1. I think the oil consumption is a bit less than usual.

The Motul oil should hold up well.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 14th August 2017, 11:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post

I had to undertake a few wear and tear related issues. First off re-torqued all the three nuts of the swivel joint. It is amazing how this simple procedure silences the suspension.
Hey Shibu, sorry for a really late question on this, but just wanted to know where and how did you get this done?

It has been nearly 4yrs and >46k clicks on my GT, and I think getting this on my stead must surely help. I have been hearing faint squeaks and hisses from the suspension, and want to start with this as a fix.
Old 14th August 2017, 18:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Shibu, sorry for a really late question on this, but just wanted to know where and how did you get this done?

It has been nearly 4yrs and >46k clicks on my GT, and I think getting this on my stead must surely help. I have been hearing faint squeaks and hisses from the suspension, and want to start with this as a fix.
I have got a torque wrench so I do it myself. The nuts that connect the swivel joint to the lower arm are torqued to 100Nm. Remove the wheel and support the lower arm using the wheel jack (assuming you use jack stands to support the vehicle in the meantime). Loosen the nuts and retorque them to the proper torque specifications.

Hope this helps.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Sayanora!!

Shibujp's VW Polo GT TDI EDIT: Now sold!-image.jpg
Like all good things this ownership has come to an end to. The GT went to it's new owner yesterday. The experience was fantastic. Once you cut VW service out of the ownership experience their cars are just amazing.

The GT opened my eyes to a whole new paradigm of effortless performance. The awesome in gear acceleration delivery with a shrug of her teutonic shoulders meant that I was never left wanting. Boy, was she fast!

And the learning! Every DIY taught me something new. Reading about how to do something on the car taught me about four or five other things. Yes, it does ask you to invest quite a bit of time and effort but i guess that is what we enthusiasts are ready to do. Opening my eyes to the importance of torque settings on the suspension was just one example.

87500 kilometres later she was just as raring to go as I first purchased her. Idiosyncrasies like the "service mode" for the wipers, the misplaced stalks did exist but those were mere blips. The high speed poise never failed to amaze me. We don't really get to test that out in Kerala but out of state drives ensured that I did get to enjoy it. What I did get to use a lot was the in gear acceleration!!

I must say she outlasted me. The absence of any semblance of useful legroom meant that this would be a short stint from the beginning. Travelling with parents was a painful experience especially for the person sitting behind me. And in the end that was the decider. I needed something with more space.

She gets replaced by a Baleno RS that I am sure would not have her set of unique talents but would provide a different repetoire in it's own way. Can't wait to get started but I am sure the GT would pop into my mind every now and then, bringing a smile to my lips. Adios partner!!
Shibujp's VW Polo GT TDI EDIT: Now sold!-image1.jpg
Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 3rd September 2017 at 08:55.
shibujp is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks