Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 18:22   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 40,000 kms & 3 years up

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
Hi Narayan and everyone!

Has anyone got the Volvo guys to do a polestar tune/upgrade (only engine tuning and a small blue badge, I guess) on their regular Volvo? The Bangalore service center guys offered to do it for about 70K. They say it will increase the power output of the XC60 D5 by about 15 hp and 30 Nm, so that is, 215 hp/440 Nm to 230 hp 470 Nm.

What I understand is that there is not much of difference in outright acceleration (0-100 in 8.3s reduced to 8.1s), but its nicer to drive. Any inputs and suggestions? Is it worth it, or would a external tuner like red rooster or something be better. Or better still, don't do anything?
My two paisa worth - don't do anything. 15 horsepower on a base of 215 is too small to be noticed or to make any meaningful difference. The XC60 is powerful enough as it is and has a good growly (manly ) acceleration. Don't fix it if it aint broke. I spoke to the manager of my authorized centre, who is now a good friend and his advice was not to go for it. He said implementing is not a challenge but your friend will feel he wasted Rs 70k.

Congratulations on your new purchase of an XC60 D5. Happy miles. Please post some photographs.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 18:46   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
Hi Narayan and everyone!

Has anyone got the Volvo guys to do a polestar tune/upgrade (only engine tuning and a small blue badge, I guess) on their regular Volvo? The Bangalore service center guys offered to do it for about 70K. They say it will increase the power output of the XC60 D5 by about 15 hp and 30 Nm, so that is, 215 hp/440 Nm to 230 hp 470 Nm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
My two paisa worth - don't do anything. 15 horsepower on a base of 215 is too small to be noticed or to make any meaningful difference.
In theory, you would notice the bump up in power even though its just 15 hp. The bump up in torque is what you'll notice more. Think about it this way, if you lost 15 hp, you would notice it. But again thats theory.

I agree with V.Narayan, 15 hp is negligible in the real world and you aren't going to notice it making a huge impact on your driving enjoyment - given that peak performance and hp is delivered within a particular torque band, and even then it is in mere tenths of a second; how often do you drive like that? My advice would be to save the money, and maybe take your family on a holiday somewhere and keep your beast stock.

Last edited by Porcupine : 26th May 2017 at 18:46. Reason: Fixed a typo
Porcupine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 10:04   #168

Dear fellow BHPians,

I am looking at buying a preworshipped Volvo XC60. Found a few vehicles from 2011-12 with mileage ranging from 80k to 150k km. My requirements are a SUV, Automatic transmission and AWD.

Wanted to understand the following
- is it safe to take a 150k driven Volvo ?
- what are the maintenance costs ?
- I am planning to get service records from the service center? Anything else that needs to be done ?
- what are the key mechanicals I should check before buying the car ?

Thanks,

Siddharth
Old 20th October 2017, 17:05   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth113 View Post
Dear fellow BHPians,
I am looking at buying a preworshipped Volvo XC60. Found a few vehicles from 2011-12 with mileage ranging from 80k to 150k km. My requirements are a SUV, Automatic transmission and AWD.

Wanted to understand the following
- is it safe to take a 150k driven Volvo ?
In my opinion yes if mainly owner driven. But if it is part of a car pool at a large company fleet then I suspect it will have its fair share of wear and tear. At 80k a Volvo is still in its youth. Suggest you take the car to the service centre and have it checked. At least in NCR the Volvo centres are helpful and accommodative.
Quote:
- what are the maintenance costs ?
It should be in the range of Rs 15 to 20,000 for one and then Rs 25 to 30,000 for the other service.
Quote:
- I am planning to get service records from the service center? Anything else that needs to be done ?
Check the full service record. If all his 10,000 kms services were done at an authorized centre then chances of items having been skipped is low to negligible. Ask the service manager what all parts you should get changed a little before their time. That will save you the trouble of time or miles expired parts coming up for replacement one by one. It will require some upfront cost but will save you inconvenience later.
Quote:
- what are the key mechanicals I should check before buying the car ?
(I) Timing Kit should have been changed at ~100,000 kms (II) Brake pads at around 80k and/or 120k depending how much it has on the odometer. (III) get the underbody checked.

Best of luck with your purchase. I will complete 3 years and 40k soon and can say that you have zeroed in on a model you will enjoy.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 20th October 2017 at 17:10.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 12:48   #170
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Narayanan. By chance I saw your thread. Wow ! read it in one go and liked it. I own a Volvo XC 60 D5 AWD 2014 model and done 21000 on the Odometer.Sparkling and shining as good as new. Got the 30 K service done too and it costed me only INR 19K in Bangalore.. I make crazy long distance drives, some times 3000KM long and more, like foot loose, though being 65 years young.. I normally take my BMW 530D M sports. But driving XC 60 is altogether different experience. I love it.

BTW, do we have a Volvo XC60 owners club in India. if yes I need contacts. I tried in the NET, could not find. Wrote to Volvo, could not get reply. Can we have one...I will be very happy. I am planning to make Bangalore, Kolkatta, Indore,Bangalore trip in my XC 60 this dec.

Any suggestions from the senior BHP ians ... Will highly appreciate. Keep writing Narayanan..I envy you.. Love and blessings..
sumukha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 14:27   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
I own a Volvo XC 60 D5 AWD 2014 model and done 21000 on the Odometer.Sparkling and shining as good as new. Got the 30 K service done too and it costed me only INR 19K in Bangalore.. I make crazy long distance drives, some times 3000KM long and more, like foot loose, I normally take my BMW 530D M sports. But driving XC 60 is altogether different experience.
I second that completely. For long distance driving the seat, the muted growl of the engine and the AWD is a treat. After almost 3 years and almost 40k kms the car has not even sqeaked let alone rattled. My best wishes for happy and safe driving with lots of coffee!!
Quote:
BTW, do we have a Volvo XC60 owners club in India. if yes I need contacts. Kolkatta, Indore,Bangalore trip in my XC 60 this dec.
Yes there is where else but on Team BHP. Its a Whats App based group. The person who knows of it is BHP member jfxavier (Volvo XC60) and maybe psispace (Volvo S60). Both great gentlemen. You'll find their posts in the first few pages on this thread. I am not on the group. You see whats app is above my pay grade.
Quote:
...though being 65 years young...Keep writing Narayanan..I envy you.. Love and blessings..
Nice to you mature folks on TBHP. 57 and counting this end! I am flattered and touched that your third post in 8 years was on this car and thread.

With warm regards,
Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 21st October 2017 at 14:28.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 17:23   #172
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Volvo XC 60 D5 AWD 2014 model and done 21000 on the Odometer.Sparkling and shining as good as new.

BTW, do we have a Volvo XC60 owners club in India. if yes I need contacts. I tried in the NET, could not find. Wrote to Volvo, could not get reply. Can we have one...I will be very happy. I am planning to make Bangalore, Kolkatta, Indore,Bangalore trip in my XC 60 this dec.

Any suggestions from the senior BHP ians ... Will highly appreciate. Keep writing Narayanan..I envy you.. Love and blessings..
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Yes there is where else but on Team BHP. Its a Whats App based group. The person who knows of it is BHP member jfxavier (Volvo XC60) and maybe psispace (Volvo S60). Both great gentlemen. You'll find their posts in the first few pages on this thread. I am not on the group. You see whats app is above my pay grade.

Narayan
Welcome to Team BHP Sumukha !
Delighted to see a Septuagenarian Volvo fan. Also surprised that you drive the more explosive 530D. Goes without saying that age is just a number. I used to think I must be one of the few in this group at my age ( I'm 44 by the way), but I seem to be quite wrong. This explains the credibility of this group as a mature forum. Should we start a thread on age demographics in this forum ?

As you are a 'newbie',(you are still young, see) I cannot message you, and vice-versa.
If you could update your profile to allow emails, I can contact you. Or else you can post some more messages in other forums to graduate to a 'BHPian'.

There are at present 128 members and counting in our Whatsapp group. We are a motley crew of professionals and businessmen from all over India, all with a passion for automobiles. The bunch from Bangalore meet up very regularly. So you can meet up with them once you join us.

All the best and wish you many happy miles with your Volvo
psispace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:11   #173
BHPian

Happy to join this thread in particular. We bought a used Volvo XC 90 (2012 model) that had done about 80000 plus kms from the Volvo dealer in Hyderabad, Talwar Volvo in March 2016. Have already done about 25000 Kms after having bought the Volvo. So far have done two trips from Gurgaon to Chennai and back, trip each to HP, Rajasthan and Punjab. So far the vehicle has done exceedingly well and the Volvo dealers in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Vijayawada and Delhi have given excellent care and service to the vehicle. We bought this XC 90 after we lost our Skoda Yeti in the Chennai floods.

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd October 2017 at 09:23.
Krishnan V G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:34   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
Delighted to see a Septuagenarian Volvo fan. Also surprised that you drive the more explosive 530D. Goes without saying that age is just a number. I used to think I must be one of the few in this group at my age ( I'm 44 by the way), but I seem to be quite wrong. This explains the credibility of this group as a mature forum. Should we start a thread on age demographics in this forum ?
Thank you and its very encouraging. I shuttle between Wayanad, Coorg and Bangalore. XC60, is KL 07, registered and will be with me in Wayanad.Love to be in touch with the group.

Last edited by ampere : 20th November 2017 at 07:20. Reason: Trimmed quoted post; Removed contact details
sumukha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 20:32   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
Happy to join this thread in particular.
Thanks. I am just about to close a deal for XC60 D5 AWD - 88k driven 2012 model from a second hand car showroom. Your thread compels me to call Volvo dealership directly for pre-owned vehicles.

Last edited by ampere : 20th November 2017 at 07:20. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd November 2017, 03:41   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth113 View Post
Thanks. I am just about to close a deal for XC60 D5 AWD - 88k driven 2012 model from a second hand car showroom. Your thread compels me to call Volvo dealership directly for pre-owned vehicles.
Best of luck. Hope a goes well with the selection & purchase. Please share your experience. The points put forth in post #169 above are straight from the manager of the service centre I use so please do check on those points. - Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 2nd November 2017 at 03:42.
Old 19th November 2017, 22:41   #177
BHPian

I am planning to fetch a pre-owned XC60 from Delhi, had shortlisted couple of them. I wanted to have the vehicle history checked, before finalizing the deal. Is there a way to get this checked online/offline for volvos, without visiting the dealer/service station in person, if i have the vehicle details?
Old 19th November 2017, 22:51   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Is there a way to get this checked online/offline for volvos, without visiting the dealer/service station in person, if i have the vehicle details?
I do not know if this can be done without contacting the authorized service centre. But you could try writing to service@volvocarindia.com or sales@volvocarindia.com

My advice would be, if you can, to contact he authorized service centre where this unit has been serviced and check the records. They are likely to be co-operative. If the service centre is Swede Auto I can PM you the names and numbers.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 07:16   #179
BHPian

Quote:
I make crazy long distance drives, some times 3000KM long and more, like foot loose, though being 65 years young..
Good for you, mate. Keep driving. My father drove till he died at 88 - though he confined himself to the village vicinity and not the highways or Chennai at that age. But he kept driving.

My wife and i go on long trips +3000 kms apart from under 1000 kms frequent short ones.
Maybe we should have a crazy-senior-drivers club.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 11:51   #180
BHPian

Thats quite an encouraging post. thank you. Planning for a drive from wayanad , Bangalore , Puri, Kolkatta, Gaya, Indore back to Bangalore this Dec.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks