Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2018, 23:19   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 50,000 kms & 4 years up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Yikes. That is bad. Metal is definitely dented. Couldn't you have just left the car there and gone, and collected it back later at night?
That option sadly did not exist. 3M tell me that section of the plastic can be removed and replaced. The paint scratches will remain.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:33   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
3M tell me that section of the plastic can be removed and replaced. The paint scratches will remain.
Very sad happening. 😧

If the section of plastic is removed, thoroughly cleaned and polished, 80% of the damage will vanish. Just the dent and one deep scratch would remain. 😊
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 19:26   #198
BHPian

Quote:
The Volvo XC60 had an unfortunate scrape a few days ago thanks to cramped and haphazard parking at an office building in Gurgaon.
Oops! Thats' a ghastly scratch. I had a similar small dent over my right rear wheel arch couple of years back. They managed to fill it in with some layer of putty and repainted over that. May be this can be managed that way too.

You can take solace in the fact that this is something which can be sorted with the car just a few days in the service center. Seeing those scratches there under a new layer of 3M might just keep bugging you.

Anyway, its' a sad sight for someone who maintains his car so well. Hope her wounds heel soon.

Keep us updated.
psispace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 18:10   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

3M plastic replaced. One scratch, one dent and one paint peel off is visible on close examination but otherwise looks fine from a few feet away. Cost was Rs 17,000. Many would consider it madness but I love to keep my cars in pristine conditions - or at least as tip top as Delhi-NCR's traffic permits.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-img_20180630_143422.jpg
Before...

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-lhs-repair-3.jpg
After...

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-lhs-repair-4.jpg
But a small indentation and peel-off of paint remains visible

And the old mare is busy munching miles crossing the 44k mark soon. Before we realize it will be time for the 50k update. We plan to take her on a family road holiday after the monsoons. Maybe Rajasthan or better Rann of Kutch. The kids have been delegated the chores of preparing & booking and three of us will share the driving.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 26th July 2018 at 18:14.
V.Narayan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 19:48   #200
BHPian

Quote:
We plan to take her on a family road holiday after the monsoons. Maybe .... Rann of Kutch.
If you plan to pass through A'bad, let me know. Would be fun to meet up.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 18:41   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
If you plan to pass through A'bad, let me know. Would be fun to meet up.
Thank you for your kind invitation. I will bear it in mind. I agree it will be nice to meet.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 09:54   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

The Volvo XC60 reminded me yesterday that it is time for the 50,000 kms service. We are a couple of months short of 4 years. Will be posting an update for the 50,000 kms, 4th birthday milestone. This time with photos.

Touch wood, nazar na lag jaye[let the evil eye not affect it] this car has delivered flawless 50,000 kms with not one issue. Run it - service it - change parts as per schedule - forget it. I often self drive to Palwal which is a town two hours away and my wife often travels to nearby towns on her work and the Volvo is just a pleasure to have - equally at ease on a smooth highway as on a rutty road in the interiors. One of my children takes her into some cross-country rural areas in Rajasthan, gets the wheels stuck in monsoon mud several times, drives her on rutty roads I would never go to, and after all this not a whisper.

So far Volvo's service has been good. Given that they haven't sold too many cars the service centre is not overloaded and I get time to chat up the centre manager. Volvo dealers as a practice are not as engaging as Lexus nor do they bother to keep in touch. I guess that is the norm with dealers of most brands and they could certainly improve their accessibility to their customers.

The back seat ride is okay. The front seat driving is lovely with a lot of torque and growl. The numerous buttons on the central control are bad for ergonomics. The navigation is rather poor. The Polestar upgrade works like a charm. But on the whole the XC60 itself is a gem - thus far at least.

I intend to keep her for another 2 years. With the NCR diesel 10-year rule it will make sense to sell her off after she completes 6 years.

If readers have any questions on the experience with this car then please write in. I will answer to the best of my knowledge when I pen the update in December.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 25th November 2018 at 10:03.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 18:52   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo XC60 at 4 years and 50,000 kms

The brown mare has completed 4 happy years and 50,000 kms of safe niggle free driving. The car has been the source of many delights best of which has been the completely trouble free service. Four boring problem free, irritation free years.

The 50,000 kms service

The 5th service at the 50,000 kms mark was completed yesterday. Cost, including tax Rs 36,000. Total cost on maintenance Rs 172,000 which includes routine replacement of parts such as brake pads. In addition I had the Polestar upgrade done {post #185} for Rs 48,000. All told Rs 220,000 for 50,000 kms including parts and voluntary upgrades. I believe this compares favourably with the German Big 3. Rs 3.44 per kms towards maintenance excluding the Polestar upgrade.

Ownership & Driving Experience

Pleasant, comforting and irritation free. The muted deep throat growl has its own charm. With Polestar acceleration is smoother, gear shifts less noticeable and driving a more pleasant experience. The Polestar upgrade mated to 440 Nm of torque is enough to thrill the boy in you.

This is a safe car to drive. It brakes automatically at speeds below 50 kmph if you get too close and the sensors realize that you are not stopping. This has helped me at least a dozen times if not more. The car has an automatic leveling system and a corner traction control both of which make driving serious fun. The latter helps the car not have a top heavy SUV gait but more of a road hugging style. The high ground clearance and high air intake make it a practical car in Delhi-NCRs periodic unwanted floodings and broken roads. I like the hill descent control which takes the vehicle at gentle speed down a hill, without pressing the accelerator or brake pedals. When going uphill, it holds position (need not press the brake) till you accelerate. It works in both, forward as well as reverse gears.

What I don’t like

Over time one discovers little things that could have been better – the control panel is an ergonomic nuisance. Fortunately, Volvo have cleared it up in future models. The pouch on the rear of the front seats are too tight to be of practical use beyond inserting a pamphlet. The rear suspension in typical European style is harder than a Japanese luxury car. I rarely sit in the rear seat so I can live with this. I like keeping in touch with the senior management of a OEM and owners of the dealer, just in case. With Lexus I am connected at all levels in India but with Volvo, after their first MD left for Sweden, contact has become impossible and the dealer owner is some local politician dada who does not believe in knowing his customers. Sad. If when my next purchase is due in 2020 I go for a Lexus instead of a Volvo this would be a major reason.

The car and its interiors have been kept in very good shape, even if I am saying so, with a lipstick and rouge job at 3M thrice a year.

Onwards and upwards to the next milestone at the 60,000 kms mark.

If members have questions I would be pleased to answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-xc60-25.12.1.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-xc60-25.12.3.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-xc60-25.12.4.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-xc60-25.12.5.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 21:40   #204
BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!

I am considering buying a 2012 XC60 that's done about 87k km. While reading through some of the posts here gives me some confidence, we are still talking about vehicles that are relatively young (admit,I have not browsed all posts in detail). I have also a past experience of having spent quite a bit on a used X-trail. I would be ok spending 35-50k average per year over the next 3years. Would really appreciate some advice on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th January 2019, 22:41   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
I am considering buying a 2012 XC60 that's done about 87k km. While reading through some of the posts here gives me some confidence, we are still talking about vehicles that are relatively young (admit,I have not browsed all posts in detail). I have also a past experience of having spent quite a bit on a used X-trail. I would be ok spending 35-50k average per year over the next 3years. Would really appreciate some advice on this. Thanks in advance.
Would suggest you physically check the maintenance records and parts replaced records at the authorized dealer. Service schedule is 10,000 kms or 12 months whichever is earlier. If all maintenance has been done on schedule and parts replaced as per the maintenance recommended the car should be fine assuming it has not had any accident. I don't think Volvo's command a premium in the second hand market so you may be able to negotiate down the price. All the best.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 6th January 2019 at 22:44.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 17:35   #206

Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 50,000 kms & 4 years up!

You sound like a genuinely happy & satisfied Volvo owner! Good to know. This appears to be a good package compared to the GLE & X3. Everybody tells me to stick with the Germans but your experience with Volvo service & attitude is rather reassuring.

I took a test drive of the XC60 Inscription earlier today. The central panel looks rather different now - all controls on a single screen. Do you find safety and assist features in the car useful in our traffic conditions?

They are offering an extended warranty for 2 years & 3 years. Did you go for that? Any view?

Anything else you can tell me, to tip me over is welcome.

Thanks. Really do appreciate your multiple posts on this thread.
vetrims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 18:18   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^
Yes I am fully satisfied so far with both the trouble free performance of the car and the service centre attitude and responsiveness. In post #1 I have shared that I'd evaluated the XC60 against Mercedes. For me trouble free service and a solid after sales support is more important than the neighbour's perception of status. Hence Volvo over Merc. I took a 3-year warranty.

Volvo India as a company have become slow and lazy about replying in time to customer letters. They are not as sharp or attentive as say Lexus. This may not be relevant as 99% of us don't write to the OEM's senior management with our issues. I am in the 1% - after all unemployed retired types need to have something to keep us busy. If you build your bridge with the dealer you should be okay.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 21:02   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 50,000 kms & 4 years up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetrims View Post
Do you find safety and assist features in the car useful in our traffic conditions?
Not sure which safety features are on your mind as some of them are on other high end cars too. The safety features I can think of are

Safety Features:
  • Emergency brake assist up to 50kmph - Laser assisted warning jams the brakes if you don’t. It wakes you up as brakes jam and the seat belt instantly tightens and hauls your torso in. this has come into play dozens of times in slow moving traffic especially when some wise auto or 2-wheeler cuts in front. A really good feature to have. Active between 5 kmph and 50 kmph.
  • Active bending lights - works. you get used to it. I don't notice it anymore.
  • Front airbags & curtain airbags
  • Rear camera & park assist - like other cars, Very useful
  • Emergency brake lights - if you brake in an emergency then your brake lights will flash 4 times a second to signal to the driver behind that you are slamming to a stop. They resume normal brake light mode as speed comes down to 10 kmph
  • Inner & outer rear view mirrors with auto-dim to protect your eyes from the glare of the headlights of the inconsiderate chap behind you
  • Water repellent front windows - treated to break water into smaller drops and roll off faster.
  • Emergency Brake Assistance (EBA) - supplements your own emergency braking pressure and further distribute it to all wheels optimally to aid better braking. The car's braking is solid.
  • Once you start driving the central locking self locks as the speed exceeds 10 kmph. - good feature
  • Doors open on second pull of the inside latch - prevents kids or grannies from accidentally opening the door.
  • Hill assist - holds, on hill driving, on its own; quite handy.
  • 5-star NCAP rating for safety - hope never to find out

Last edited by ajmat : 17th February 2019 at 22:01. Reason: added bullets for better readability
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 18:26   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

60,000 kms update coming up soon.

My brown mare has been running around a fair bit and has just clocked 60,000 kms and 55 months. She has gone for her 6th service and this time the parts that need changing are:-

1. The battery
2. Two of the brake pads
3. Some link rods related to the front suspension on both sides

One of the shock absorbers in the front is getting weak with a microscopic leak. Volvo say it will serve on till the next service at the 70,000 kms mark. More after the car is back. With maintenance needs starting to creep up the bill is promises to be heavier this time.

In addition a stone hit the front windscreen while running on the highway which caused a crack. This was a year ago. The crack has now grown to risky proportions and so we are replacing the windscreen.

The car continues to render absolutely trouble free service. It is driven almost every fortnight long distance, at a good clip, over some terrible roads in the hinterland and swallows them all without a whimper.My only regret is that under the Delhi-NCR 10-year diesel rule I will be compelled to sell her over the next 3 to 4 years or so. Over these 60,000 kms the car has not given a cause for complaint on issues of reliability, down time or ASS.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 20:49   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

6th service :: 60,000 kms

Total cost Rs 102,000 rounded off to the nearest '000. Big jobs done :-

Brake discs and brake pads for the rear two wheels.
New Battery
Front wind screen changed under insurance
Some tinkering with the suspension
The other normal top ups or replacements at this mark

All the brake pads were last changed at the 30,000 kms mark. This time only the rear two were changed. The front ones were good to go till the 70,000 kms stage. The insurance required me to pay Rs 2000/- towards change of the windscreen.

This car continues to give a yeoman 'fill it shut it forget it' service. Volvo ASS remains well above average. It is a close competitor to Lexus but not quite in that class.

The total cost on routine maintenance plus change of crucial parts like brake pads, battery etc has come to Rs 274,000 so far. Add to this my voluntary investment of Rs 48,000 for the Polestar upgrade and we come to 322,000/- over 60,000 kms. So basic maintenance is Rs 4.57 per kms.

The photos this time were candid shots after driving through some of Delhi's slushy water logged roads. I decided to shoot the car as it is without cleaning it to look smarter. As one of the photos shows the leather on the drivers seat is getting stretched and stained a bit.

The brown mare gallops along.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-aug19-1.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-aug19-2.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-aug19-3.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-aug19-7.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-aug19-8.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-aug19-9.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-aug19-10.jpg  

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-aug19-10a.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (34) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks