Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:25   #226
BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I believe so. Not mine. A neighbour's.
A rare find I must say
sv97 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:31   #227

Mr. Narayan, thank you for this great thread and your insightful and helpful posts. I am considering buying a 2020 XC60. Had a few questions that will help me. Appreciate your response at your convenience. I am based in Bangalore. Also appreciate inputs from any other Volvo owners as well.

1) Is the extended warranty (3 years is now available) needed / helpful ?
2) Is the metal plate in the car underbelly as an accessory needed / helpful ? Do you remember how much it costs ?
3) ANy other accessories you recommend for XC60 such as side running board ?
4) Anything to watch out for during purchase ? Suc has service plans or meeting service personnel etc. ?
4) Finally, what's your thought wrt S90 versus XC60 on Bangalore / urban roads ?

Thanks a lot
smartcarguy4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 14:48   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcarguy4u View Post
Mr. Narayan, thank you for this great thread and your insightful and helpful posts. I am considering buying a 2020 XC60. Had a few questions that will help me. Appreciate your response at your convenience. I am based in Bangalore. Also appreciate inputs from any other Volvo owners as well.
Happy to assist but it doesnt come for free. You got to share photos of the wheels you buy. An old man needs to ogle you know.
Quote:
I have not needed to use the warranty so far in 5.5 years. Given the large investment you are making in the car it might still be a wise facility to keep. I don't want to say this too soon but the XC60 has been delightfully reliable and hassle free. The sort of solid reliable engineering Mercedes were known for til c.1995
Quote:
2) Is the metal plate in the car underbelly as an accessory needed / helpful ? Do you remember how much it costs ?
I don't recall its price. It is worth it. Helps you blast through bad rods or mud tracks without bothering about a bottom hit.
Quote:
The running boards help shorter folks get on but it also increases the risk of mud/dust getting onto the rear part of your pants as you exit. I took the Polestar upgrade at a slightly later date when it became available. It smoothens out the acceleration and makes acceleration faster. Given what we are spending/spent on the car - half a crore - I tend to go for all the accessories given that it is to be amortized over 10 years or so. I took tyre replacement and hydro lock in my insurance -- may not be needed. But that's just me. Tyres were/still are Pirrelli.
Quote:
4) Anything to watch out for during purchase ? Such has service plans or meeting service personnel etc. ?
Yes must meet the service personnel as they are the ones you will deal with for the next several years. I always do that. I also took the insurance through the dealer. It has helped keep matters seamless when I once needed to replace a broken front wind shield through the insurance.
Quote:
4) Finally, what's your thought wrt S90 versus XC60 on Bangalore / urban roads ?
The S90 is a stunningly beautiful car with, in its current avatar, top notch interiors. Check out its ground clearance if that suits the roads in Bangalore. They should. Check out the igress/ egress for the rear seat especially for tall or heavily built passengers. As you know the XC60 by definition will be better on broken roads. The interiors of the S90 as offered today is way better than what was available in 2016 when I booked my Lexus. If today's interiors menu was on offer then I just might have gone for the S90!!! A neighbour has a V90 and I notice the car sits rather low; the S90 looks more gorgeous. I assume you have driven both cars. A lot would depend on what the car is for -- in my case my wife uses the Lexus as she was told (by me) that it represents a higher bragging quotient. I drive the XC60 as my work takes me on short inter-town trips every week. Hope this helps. Let us know what you finally select and share photos.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 12th July 2020 at 14:54.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 15:06   #229
BHPian

Quote:
4) Anything to watch out for during purchase ? Suc has service plans or meeting service personnel etc. ?
Hi smartcarguy4u,

I've been associated with a Volvo dealer for quite sometime and have driven their models. With regards to your queries, I am of the opinion that,

1. The standard warranty holds good for 2 years and if you're planning to hold on to the car for a longer term, its advisable to opt for the extended warranty.
2. Having underbelly protection is always helpful. The XC60 having 235mm ground clearance can handle off roads very well. So you may skip it.
3. I believe you'd be going for the Inscription variant. If so, it is equipped with all bells and whistles. Must have accessories would be the rubber floor mats and additional mud-guards (to avoid water splashing against the doors especially during the monsoon). Optional would be Ipad holders for the rear seat passengers.
4. Service schedule is at 10k kms or once a year. Its advisable to opt for service package only if you're covering more mileage. The basic service cost of a Volvo is on the economical side than others. Also please ensure that you meet the service personnel and take down their contact details, it would come handy in uncertain times.
5. S90 handles very well on the Bangalore roads. The self leveling air suspension on the rear maintains the ground clearance and tackle potholes and speed breakers easily but at certain speed breakers especially on the airport road, you got to negotiate via criss-cross angle.
And the XC60 being a full blown SUV, you have the advantage of AWD, higher ground clearance, more engine output, and can take it practically anywhere.

Hope this helps you.

Kind regards
AJ739
AJ739 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 18:36   #230

Quote:
Happy to assist but it doesnt come for free. You got to share photos of the wheels you buy. An old man needs to ogle you know.
Thank you so much for your valuable inputs, as always. Since another lock down in starting in Bangalore from next week, it will probably be a month or two before I can get the car. I took a test drive of the XC60 on a highway drive. It was just an incredible ride. Its just a joy to drive it on the highway. The responsiveness was just mind blowing. Within Bangalore ride felt a little stiff compared to the Innova I currently have, but the massage seats made me forget the minor stiffness :-)

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like... this...

Last edited by ampere : 16th July 2020 at 08:09. Reason: dotty post
smartcarguy4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 06:25   #231
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for your valuable inputs, as always... Since another lockdown in starting in Bangalore from next week, it will probably be a month or two before I can get the car... I took a test drive of the XC60 on a highway drive. It was just an incredible ride.... Its just a joy to drive it on the highway. The resposniveness was just mind blowing. Within Bangalore ride felt a little stiff compared to the Innova I currently have, but the massage seats made me forget the minor stiffness :-)
I would advise you to check out the V90 as well, i.e. if you like the wagon shape and have enough parking space as the car is quite long. It would cost you the same as xc60 or even lesser as it's heavily discounted while it still retains most features that have been omitted from the suv MY2020 onwards.
I've been using mine for 10k kms and it's a great all rounder and has caused no such troubles yet. Mine has the 20 inch rims but one can chose for 19's at time of purchase which makes it more comfortable and probably less prone to tyre bursts. As Mr.Narayan mentioned spotting one which seemed low, could be because the v90 has air suspension in the rear and it lowers itself once the engine is turned off for easy access to the boot but it raises back up once engine is turned back on. It can further go up few mm in off-road mode if you choose to take it in such places. I have taken it on few trips in remote locations and have not faced any such issues with ground clearance till date.

Last edited by VSD : 16th July 2020 at 06:28.
VSD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 06:49   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
7th service :: 67,000 kms :: The Brown Mare trots along.....

Total cost Rs 108,000 rounded off to the nearest '000. Work done :-

Front shockers changed.
Timing belt and associated pulleys etc changed
Four new tyres from Pirrelli
The fluids as always.
Did they say why they needed to change the pulleys or was it just preventive maintenance? Also is the bill including the cost of tyres? Its not much given the amount of work done and the cost of the car. Glad that you are happy with the car. A friend bought a XC90 recently and is head over heels with the car, not so much with the twins they are expecting
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 09:17   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
I've been using mine for 10k kms and it's a great all rounder and has caused no such troubles yet.
Congratulations on your V90. A few photos would be welcome :-)
Quote:
As Mr. Narayan mentioned spotting one which seemed low, could be because the v90 has air suspension in the rear and it lowers itself once the engine is turned off for easy access to the boot but it raises back up once engine is turned back on. It can further go up few mm in off-road mode if you choose to take it in such places. I have taken it on few trips in remote locations and have not faced any such issues with ground clearance till date.
Wow. Nice to learn something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Did they say why they needed to change the pulleys or was it just preventive maintenance?
A part of planned maintenance. When you change the timing belt I'd advice always change the pulleys and related accessories. Otherwise while your belt may be new the pulleys that bear a brunt of forces are getting increasingly more worn out. Changing all was a part of their standard 7th service.
Quote:
Also is the bill including the cost of tyres?
The cost of Rs 102k does not include the tyres. It includes the other three items listed in my post plus the front brake pads. Sorry my writing is not clear.
Quote:
Its not much given the amount of work done and the cost of the car.
Yes it does seem that Volvo do not charge as much as Mercedes. I do not have data on BMW and Audi.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 16th July 2020 at 09:20.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 22:54   #234

Hello Mr. Narayan, owners, almost finalized XC60.

Wanted to ask if a service plan from the lease company is worth it. Their plan includes road side assistance, tyre change included etc. (3 year plan).

How much does xc60 service cost in first 3 years ? Volvo says each service is 25K max.

Sunil.
Old 28th July 2020, 09:57   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Mr. Narayan, owners, almost finalized XC60.

Wanted to ask if a service plan from the lease company is worth it. Their plan includes road side assistance, tyre change included etc. (3 year plan).

How much does xc60 service cost in first 3 years ? Volvo says each service is 25K max.

Sunil.
Sunil, if you skim through this thread you will see the posts I have put up for each of the service event along with service cost and lifetime cost. The joy of an XC60 doesn't come easy - you gotta read Team BHP threads

But my heart warms up for potential XC60 club members so I'll make it easy for you.

In a nutshell thus far over 5.5 years and 67,000+ kms my servicing cost has been Rs 382,000 including brake pads and other routine spares. In addition to this ~Rs 80,000 has been invested in tyre change and Rs 48,000 in a Polestar upgrade. This does not include money spent on lipstick & rouge at 3M. Hope this helps. No major part has needed replacement yet other than as per their schedule. The car has got stuck on the road only once due to a tyre burst which was primarily my own stupidity {post above}. Based on this information you can decide if you need a maintenance plan.

The basic service in the initial 20,000 kms is around the Rs 25,000 -30,000 mark. After that cost of part changes as per their service schedule clutches in and the cost rises. My average per service including parts for planned maintenance has come to Rs 54,000 or so.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 28th July 2020 at 10:00.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 01:02   #236
BHPian

Quote:
A part of planned maintenance. When you change the timing belt I'd advice always change the pulleys and related accessories. Otherwise while your belt may be new the pulleys that bear a brunt of forces are getting increasingly more worn out. Changing all was a part of their standard 7th service.
Could you please share how much the timing belt and pulley changing cost including labour?

I'm getting a used XC60 soon and looks like the timing belt is due for a change in the next 10k.
kapi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:16   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapi View Post
Could you please share how much the timing belt and pulley changing cost including labour?

I'm getting a used XC60 soon and looks like the timing belt is due for a change in the next 10k.
Sorry for this delayed reply. The total cost of timing belt, associated pulleys and parts and labour was Rs 50,000 including taxes. These are part of the planned maintenance at 70k kms.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:27   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for this delayed reply. The total cost of timing belt, associated pulleys and parts and labour was Rs 50,000 including taxes. These are part of the planned maintenance at 70k kms.
Thank you very much! It turns out the previous owner had the timing belt service done already.

Also as an aside, I spoke with both the Volvo service centers in NCR, and apparently Volvo has discontinued the Polestar optimisation for all cars since October 2019. As per them, the government has banned it??
kapi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 11:18   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapi View Post
Also as an aside, I spoke with both the Volvo service centers in NCR, and apparently Volvo has discontinued the Polestar optimisation for all cars since October 2019. As per them, the government has banned it??
That it self is not a game changer IMHO. Polestar smoothened out acceleration and the auto gear change. It made a good performance better. It is a good to have not a need to have. If you acquire. Then please post some photos. If you choose Swede Auto let me know I'll talk to the Service Head to be nice to you.. You can ask the service centre for this particular cars service record. Best of luck.
Old 22nd August 2020, 13:50   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you for this VN. Passed the info to a friend whose friend with a Volvo V40 Cross Country was quoted Rs. 1 lakh for a scheduled timing belt + oil change + brake fluid change + ATF replacement service!

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-1.png

From the estimate, I can see that there are some unwanted jobs like AC Vent Disinfectant, Air Refresher etc and unwanted parts like WASHER FLUID. Even the wheel alignment and calibration is quoted Rs. 2183 in addition to a related job, sl. No. 13, Wheel angles 4 wheels calibrating Including wear and tyre pressure check which costs Rs. 2360! Wonder what this is.

Doesn't the BASIC MAINTENANCE charge take care of fuel filter replacement? Even this has been quoted separately.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks