Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 22:08   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 40,000 kms & 3 years up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Happy to hear! Volvo's reliability is reported to be superior to the luxo-Germans, so I'm sure she'll serve you well as the odometer keeps ticking.
It's posts like these that make ownership reviews so useful & informative. Thanks for sharing!

Wish you tens of thousands of more enjoyable km with the XC60.
Dear GTO, thank you for your good wishes.

Many drivers and car owners measure fuel efficiency which is an important factor to track. Similarly I like to keep track of down time versus up time. That is to say how much time has been expended at the garage + going to and fro + waiting for spares. The XC60 has thus far consumed about 32 hours of total down time in 25 months. 7 hours for each service into 3 + 3 hours for battery change under warranty + 9 hours for repair of side view mirror that was broken by an enthusiastic biker in a hurry. These times include the 90 to 100 minutes of to and fro the service centre. It would be of interest to compare this with other upper scale European OEMs.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 20:56   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Request advice from experts on T-BHP on how to preserve a car so that it runs for 25 years in regular service.

I read recently of how the founder of IKEA drives his Volvo 240, 1970s model even today to work. And the thought gripped me about what I need to do to preserve this beautiful car, the XC60, so that I am driving it not just 10 but 20 or even 25 years from now. I have read some of the threads on T-BHP on how to drive in a manner empathetic to the machine. But would like to tap the experts for their deep knowledge on this i.e. what do I do other than regular service, replacement of parts and careful driving.

Hitherto my oldest cars owned & driven by me have served for 10 years and then sold. Thank you in advance for your help.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 12:11   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Request advice from experts on T-BHP on how to preserve a car so that it runs for 25 years in regular service.

I read recently of how the founder of IKEA drives his Volvo 240, 1970s model even today to work. And the thought gripped me about what I need to do to preserve this beautiful car, the XC60, so that I am driving it not just 10 but 20 or even 25 years from now. I have read some of the threads on T-BHP on how to drive in a manner empathetic to the machine. But would like to tap the experts for their deep knowledge on this i.e. what do I do other than regular service, replacement of parts and careful driving.

Hitherto my oldest cars owned & driven by me have served for 10 years and then sold. Thank you in advance for your help.
Although I'm no expert, there is one thing that crops to mind, i.e. driving a 70s vintage volvo in Sweden is relatively easy given the extensive support and spares available. In India, apart from our harsh climate (which the XC60 may well endure) your biggest Achilles heel would be whether Volvo will be around for the next 20 years or so in India. Given that volvos dont sell as much as the Germans, spares from aftermarket and expert mechanics will also be a challenge, should Volvo decide to shut shop in India.

So you should figure out a good supply chain for consumables and spares when you get whiff of volvo shutting shop, If ever that happens.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 21st February 2017 at 12:27.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 18:52   #154
BHPian

Quote:
But would like to tap the experts for their deep knowledge on this i.e. what do I do other than regular service, replacement of parts and careful driving.
First of all Thank you for keeping the thread alive and acquiring such a beautiful machine.Volvo for me opt for the timeless design and in some ways technologically ahead of their competition, just a glimpse of it make me fell in awe of these machines.
In order to maintain your car for a decade or two, i think along with commitment, infrastructure plays a vital role. With the kind of roads and traffic sense we have around us, it is very difficult to even maintain a car and running it regularly for even a decade. On such bad roads there would be more wear and tear of parts and dust plays a havoc in keeping the exterior clean.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 18:55   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

The Volvo XC60 clocked 33,000 kms today....about one third way to a century. I like 33k more than 33,333. Absolutely trouble free driving. As I saw the odo meter turn I pulled over to the kerb to click this photo astounding my wife in the process. We all have our nuttiness. And to think I tease her over her shoes.

The brown mare recently did Delhi-Chandigarh & back followed by a Rewari return and then a Moradabad return. Next review at the 40,000 kms mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-img_20170428_172422.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 15:27   #156
BHPian

This is quite a useful thread. Thanks a lot. Can you please indicate whether the back seat has built in booster seats? Have seen it in the older reviews. But from your pics, it does not seem to be there anymore.

Last edited by ajmat : 8th May 2017 at 08:44.
Old 7th May 2017, 20:37   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
Can you please indicate whether the back seat has built in booster seats? Have seen it in the older reviews. But from your pics, it does not seem to be there anymore.
Apologies - I have no idea what a booster seat is. If you can explain it to me I can check in the manual or with the dealer. Thanks.
Old 8th May 2017, 08:54   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is quite a useful thread. Thanks a lot. Can you please indicate whether the back seat has built in booster seats? Have seen it in the older reviews. But from your pics, it does not seem to be there anymore.
Quote:
Apologies - I have no idea what a booster seat is. If you can explain it to me I can check in the manual or with the dealer. Thanks.
You will see the booster seat as in the S90 over here. In the case of the XC90, one might need to adjust the centre armrest into a booster seat if I am correct.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 14:35   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You will see the booster seat as in the S90 over here. In the case of the XC90, one might need to adjust the centre armrest into a booster seat if I am correct.
Thank you Narayan and Ajmat.

As indicated by Ajmat, the booster seat is essentially for small kids, i.e., it is a raised seat for the kid. Some Volvos have seats which can convert to a child's booster seat. Had seen a review of the older XC60 with similar seats as the ones the S90 has. So was not sure whether its there in the India versions of the XC60. Since the XC60 is a CBU, I was under the impression it would be there.
Old 8th May 2017, 18:07   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As indicated by Ajmat, the booster seat is essentially for small kids, i.e., it is a raised seat for the kid. Some Volvos have seats which can convert to a child's booster seat. Had seen a review of the older XC60 with similar seats as the ones the S90 has. So was not sure whether its there in the India versions of the XC60. Since the XC60 is a CBU, I was under the impression it would be there.
I checked in my car this evening. The left and right hand seats at the rear have a tiny sticker indicating a baby's seat can be fitted on them. I am not sure where the fittings go but I guess the answer is yes. You are right in your assumption that as a CBU (from Volvo, Belgium) it will have whatever is standard in Europe. Hope this helps. Sorry I wasn't sure what a bolster seat is - my kids are taller than me and the grand kids some distance away. If you plan on purchasing an XC60 then best wishes and happy driving.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 19:03   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I checked in my car this evening. The left and right hand seats at the rear have a tiny sticker indicating a baby's seat can be fitted on them..
I think these are the ISOFIX child seat mounting points. The booster seat is only available on the XC90 and S90 from what I know.
Old 9th May 2017, 09:21   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think these are the ISOFIX child seat mounting points. The booster seat is only available on the XC90 and S90 from what I know.
I guess it's not available on the Indian variants of XC60. Below is a video of the booster seats in a 2013 XC60

Quote:
I checked in my car this evening. The left and right hand seats at the rear have a tiny sticker indicating a baby's seat can be fitted on them. I am not sure where the fittings go but I guess the answer is yes. You are right in your assumption that as a CBU (from Volvo, Belgium) it will have whatever is standard in Europe. Hope this helps. Sorry I wasn't sure what a bolster seat is - my kids are taller than me and the grand kids some distance away. If you plan on purchasing an XC60 then best wishes and happy driving.
Thanks again Narayan for checking. I have posted a video above of how the seats work. But I don't think these are there on the Indian variant of the XC60.

Looking to buy a preowned XC60, and while taking it for a test drive, forgot to check this. Hence all the questions

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2017 at 12:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 9th May 2017, 11:22   #163
BHPian

Hello Narayan, Read your thread in one go skipping work.
But it's the first Volvo thread which I am reading on Tbhp and will definitely scout for more. I loved the way you treat your cars and not to mention the way you drive them. The colour is awesome and you did post some great pics out there. Hope you have many more happy and safe miles with your brown hare.
Old 9th May 2017, 19:27   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it's not available on the Indian variants of XC60. Below is a video of the booster seats in a 2013 XC60

https://Youtu.be/fNKLxCSCfrg

Thanks again Narayan for checking. I have posted a video above of how the seats work. But I don't think these are there on the Indian variant of the XC60.

Looking to buy a preowned XC60, and while taking it for a test drive, forgot to check this. Hence all the questions
I spoke to the garage manager of the authorized service centre I use. He confirmed that the type of seat in your video/photo is available as an extra accessory and is fitted/fitted for at the workshop. He in fact had 2 in store. He confirmed we are talking of seats for the 4 to 10 year old child and not the ones for toddlers. Hope this helps.

In case you buy a pre-owned XC60 please do PM me the price - just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
But it's the first Volvo thread which I am reading on Tbhp and will definitely scout for more. I loved the way you treat your cars and not to mention the way you drive them. The colour is awesome and you did post some great pics out there. Hope you have many more happy and safe miles with your brown hare.
Thank you Ani0404. The better photographs are courtesy my daughter who is a professional at this. The dumpier ones are by me with my Shajahan era blackberry.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 9th May 2017 at 19:32.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:28   #165
BHPian

Hi Narayan and everyone!

Has anyone got the Volvo guys to do a polestar tune/upgrade (only engine tuning and a small blue badge, I guess) on their regular Volvo? The Bangalore service center guys offered to do it for about 70K. They say it will increase the power output of the XC60 D5 by about 15 hp and 30 Nm, so that is, 215 hp/440 Nm to 230 hp 470 Nm.

What I understand is that there is not much of difference in outright acceleration (0-100 in 8.3s reduced to 8.1s), but its nicer to drive. Any inputs and suggestions? Is it worth it, or would a external tuner like red rooster or something be better. Or better still, don't do anything?
manualManuel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks