Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 21:22   #76
BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 40,000 kms & 3 years up

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I am as happy as a panda bear today. The old girl clocked 5000 kms. Running smooth as silk and being thoroughly spoilt by me. I love driving her so much that all others have been forbidden from taking her out. My wife talks to her plants and I talk to my Volvo. The air conditioning is holding up very well in north India's summer. I'll share a full report at 10,000 kms and the first service which should be around October'15
Congrats on your first 5k V.Narayan

Happy to see she is holding up well.
We will be eagerly waiting for your updates.

I don't think any Volvo owner has complaints about ACs so far, except me.
That too, only the AC switch solenoid was faulty in mine after 4 years. I had no problems with its' cooling capacity here in Kerala.

Kerala summers are pretty harsh, especially due to the added humidity. You tend to sweat easily here. No such problems if you are getting into one of these cars.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 15:27   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

New experience with the city safety braking system.

Yesterday afternoon there was a storm in Delhi-NCR that uprooted a few trees and broke a few boughs. I was driving through central Delhi through one of those cheerfully crowded lanes. A branch of a tree had broken in the storm and was lying on the road. It was a medium sized branch about 15' long and only a few inches in diameter with further minor branches & leaves sticking up vertically to about 3 feet. The Scorpio ahead of me simply drove over the branch and went on his way - just like any self respecting Dilli-wallah would do. Looked very doable. As I tried to climb over the branch in the XC60 the city safety braking switched on and halted the car with its signature grinding halt. The minor branches and leaves was clearly being seen as an obstacle to be careful of. The city braking refused to let me get across. As I didn’t have the time to read the owners manual on how to switch it off I apologized to the guys behind me reversed and made my way down another route. This was a new one for me.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 15:43   #78
BHPian

Quote:
As I tried to climb over the branch in the XC60 the city safety braking switched on and halted the car with its signature grinding halt. The minor branches and leaves was clearly being seen as an obstacle to be careful of. The city braking refused to let me get across. As I didn’t have the time to read the owners manual on how to switch it off I apologized to the guys behind me reversed and made my way down another route. This was a new one for me.
Here is the relevant page from S60 manual.
The limitations mentioned says storm & leaves also could affect the system, which I guess was your case.
The system can be temporarily switched off by the procedure mentioned in the page shown below.
It will automatically get activated at next restart.
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-citysafety.jpg

Last edited by jfxavier : 14th June 2015 at 15:45.
jfxavier is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 18:16   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Here is the relevant page from S60 manual.
Attachment 1381947
jfxavier, you are just what the doctor ordered for the lazy who don't read the manual. Thanks very much. You can imagine the incredulous looks of the three wheeler driver behind me and the Tata Ace chap behind him about the car that refused to move.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 20:43   #80
BHPian

Quote:
New experience with the city safety braking system.

As I tried to climb over the branch in the XC60 the city safety braking switched on and halted the car with its signature grinding halt. The minor branches and leaves was clearly being seen as an obstacle to be careful of. The city braking refused to let me get across.
Surprising.

After the emergency braking engages and the car stops, usually I am able to crawl ahead. Due to this same reason, once, one of my earlier drivers nudged the car in front of him out of panic.

I must admit, I haven't tried driving over any large tree branches on the road (absolutely not an option in my car!).
The 'pukka' roads that I sometimes travel through have tree branches hanging out onto the road from the sides. These sometimes (painfully) touch the bumper and bonnet. I have fortunately not had any City Safety activation in such instances. Only the parking sensors engage.

Maybe the newer systems have higher sensitivity.

Anyway, if such a situation arises, jfxavier's aforementioned technique seems the only way out.

Switching off this button might also work.
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-city-safety-button.jpg

Last edited by psispace : 14th June 2015 at 20:44.
psispace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 20:50   #81
BHPian

The third column, 5th paragraph in the image says that the system won't work below 4 kmph. Narayan Sir, were you trying to go over the branch more than this speed?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.
TorqMaster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 21:25   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
After the emergency braking engages and the car stops, usually I am able to crawl ahead. Due to this same reason, once, one of my earlier drivers nudged the car in front of him out of panic.

Switching off this button might also work.
Attachment 1382023
psispace, thanks for the inputs. Always something to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
The third column, 5th paragraph in the image says that the system won't work below 4 kmph. Narayan Sir, were you trying to go over the branch more than this speed? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
TorqMaster - most relevant question. I tried the accelerate twice to build momentum to climb over the debris and must have surely been over 4 kmph. But this 4 kmph limit is a good thing to know for the future. With all the crowd of honking cursing vehicles behind me and the pouring rain there was little time to think except to get away.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 15:02   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Wow. That's like the full body wrap.
I believe what you got done is their PPF (Paint Protection Film) treatement. This is like a bullet proof layer over the paint. Will last you life long!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
PPF for the whole car?!! While it may last long and protect the paint surface, I am not sure it will give the same finish and feel as the original metal painted surface. Normally PPF is recommended for areas which get scratched easily , like mirror casing, fenders, door edges, inside part of door handles etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yikes!

That's the PPF which we usually apply on the door handle cups, fenders and other areas that are prone to paint nicks and scratches due to daily wear and tear. Looks like you just wrapped the whole car!
Do post some snaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
PPF on the whole car may look good initially. But after a few months down the line , with exposure to elements, it will start to turn yellowish. Scratches will get into the film and it will block the shine of the car paint!

Of course with PPF the car is fully protected. But it will like looked through a pair of scratched/dirty spectacles few months down the line!
Quote:
Will let you know if the scratches/milkiness problem comes up - you folks have got me worried. Will post more photos of the accessories and the cockpit.
As promised photos of the PPC on the Volvo XC60 after its first polish down since the PPC was applied 5 odd months ago.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-1.jpg
The sheen of the paint does not change. No milkyness or blurriness so far.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-2.jpg
On the right front end I had nicked the car through my own silliness. The black mark is the 7 mm of paint that chipped off. The PPC protected the rest of the paint and took the brunt of the bigger scratch protecting the paint work. 3M cut out the scratched piece of PPC and fixed a fresh one. Outline visible as this photo was taken from 12" away. Not visible if you are standing next to the car

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-3.jpg
The only thing with PPC is that at a few places on the edge ubiquitous dust settles in on the edge till washed away. Photo shows this dust clinging to the edge of the PPC. this has happened only on the right headlamp. From 3 feet away this is not visible.

3M did a polish job over the PPC. Car is now 5.5 months old.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 15:35   #84
BHPian

Good to see that the film is durable. From what you have written it looks like it is sticking quite nicely without any peeling off from the edges etc. Can you please post a picture of the car from the front as well.
Old 28th June 2015, 20:32   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post a picture of the car from the front as well.
Your wish is my command

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-4-copy.jpg

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-5.jpg

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-6.jpg
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 22:01   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Your wish is my command
Thank you very much.
The car looks like new.
Cannot make out the small damage in paint on the bumper. Excellent job.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 14:32   #87
BHPian

Thanks for the nice pictures V. Narayan.

Your car looks fresh from the showroom. Its' literally shiny and new!

Don't worry about the small fender scratch. Its' hardly noticeable. I've got two scratches like those over my front bumper. The are too small to ruin the look of the car. You have to purposefully look for it to see it.

I too have availed 3M's services in Kochi and can vouch for their workmanship.
I have opted for their 'Trizact package' for my Volvo and Polo.

I considered using the Paint protection film but was deterred by the high initial cost. Its' not cost effective for the Polo but felt reasonable for the Volvo.(If I cover only bumpers, fenders and mirrors). As the frequency of my front end scratches have reduced I didn't opt for it. However, its' value is quite evident from your pictures.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 14:42   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much.
The car looks like new.
Cannot make out the small damage in paint on the bumper. Excellent job.
Looks like the second and third pic were taken during delivery. So it is actually a new car

Very nice looking car there V.Narayan
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 21:15   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy to hear that the PPF is serving you well. BTW did they polish the scratches on the PPF?

Since your car is not white, even if the film turns white it will not be so evidently visible.
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:54   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Happy to hear that the PPF is serving you well. BTW did they polish the scratches on the PPF?

Since your car is not white, even if the film turns white it will not be so evidently visible.
The microscopic and hairline scratches (which I am sure were there even if not easily visible) get 'ironed out' through the polish and rubbing. That's what the 3M folks tell me. I do not know the chemistry or physics of how it works. The car did not have any visible scratches other than the ones I put up in an earlier post. My plan is to change the PPF after 24 months are over so that the sheen of the car remains. Hope this helps.

Most Viewed