Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2015, 11:21   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 40,000 kms & 3 years up

Was your entire front bumper PPF done in one piece?

I got the PPF film done on my S-class front bumper but I am not completely satisfied with the fitting finish as the cut outs for the airdam curves has made them use a few stripped pieces at the bottom instead which is looking shabby from upclose. Also certain parts of the film have bubbles which they say will go away?

The 3m center has said they will rectify it but I think I will have to insist that they change the entire film to a one piece fitment. Might need to get 3m company chaps to send some specialized fitment guys.
Old 11th July 2015, 13:26   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

I got the PPF film done on my S-class front bumper but I am not completely satisfied with the fitting finish as the cut outs for the airdam curves has made them use a few stripped pieces at the bottom instead which is looking shabby from upclose. Also certain parts of the film have bubbles which they say will go away?

The 3m center has said they will rectify it but I think I will have to insist that they change the entire film to a one piece fitment. Might need to get 3m company chaps to send some specialized fitment guys.
Sahil, my front bumper was done with one piece to best of my knowledge and then cuts were made for the cavities. I will try and send some pictures tomorrow. The use of stripped pieces is not acceptable and you are right to insist it be redone from the start at least for the front portion. Bubbles are a no-no. They will not go away. My film had bubbles in some part initially and the 3M service centre re-did it on their own without my having to ask for it. Hope all goes well. You are right to ask for a re-do. Best wishes, Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 17:59   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Sahil, my front bumper was done with one piece to best of my knowledge and then cuts were made for the cavities. I will try and send some pictures tomorrow.
Dear Sahil, the photos as mentioned in the last post. Forgive the dirty look of the car - it's been a day of rain & slosh in NCR today and the old girl has run around a bit.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-8.jpg
This photo is of the full front. Done in one piece from left tyre to right tyre.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-9.jpg
Photo of right front corner. Arrows indicate up to where the single piece went.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-10.jpg
The rear was done in one piece for the upper portion cupped by the arrows above. The lower half of the rear fender was a different piece.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-11.jpg
The right rear corner

Please let me know if I can help. Best regards, Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 18:39   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nicely written review of a very nice car. I have had two great experiences driving Volvos on holidays - an S80 on California Route 1, and a V70 through Germany, Switzerland and Austria. Was treat to drive, and your interiors look just like the V70, albeit mirrored. The only negative about the car is that the settings are non intuitive - in my Superb, as well as Mercedes, you don't need to read the manual to figure out what to do. The Volvos do seem to offer a lot for the money, and are suitable for folks who would rather be low key. The only concern I have is about the Chinese ownership, though that's probably just prejudice.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 23:28   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Narayan- Thanks a ton! I will be sending these pics to the 3m outlet to benchmark and hopefully get mine re-done. If my any chance you have a contact person who works directly with 3m India do let me know as I can request them to look into the matter with the outlet as outlets are usually franchises.
Old 13th July 2015, 07:41   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Very nicely written review of a very nice car. The only negative about the car is that the settings are non intuitive - in my Superb, as well as Mercedes, you don't need to read the manual to figure out what to do.
Hayek, I have read your posts on your AT Superb. You have a flair for writing and expressing. Have you penned a thread on your Mercedes experience - car as well as after sales support. If yes could you point me to it. So long as the Swedes run Volvo I am fine with them. When the Chinese take charge of day to day we'll see .Thanks.

Quote:
Narayan- Thanks a ton! I will be sending these pics to the 3m outlet to benchmark and hopefully get mine re-done. If my any chance you have a contact person who works directly with 3m India do let me know as I can request them to look into the matter with the outlet as outlets are usually franchises.
Sahil, I don't have contacts of 3M in India but I think I can get the data. Give me a few days.
Old 13th August 2015, 15:54   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear BHPians, clocked 7000 kms yesterday. Touchwood the car is running along without complaints. The car has done a few short out station trips to nearby towns - Sonepat, Rewari, Meerut, Pilani. On the highway the Volvo XC60 runs steady as a rock and brakes in a straight line. I don’t take her or any other car above 100kmph so I can't give any inputs of performance above that but in my driving spectrum the XC60 hugs the road. The acceleration is linear. We have done two trips with 5 adults and the fit wasn’t too bad. But I will add that 3 of the 5 were young adults (like many on BHP!) - slim, supple and willing to accommodate for an overnight trip. The luggage space is cavernous and on one return trip from Pilani swallowed the entire belongings of two hostel students - trunks, mattresses et al. In Delhi-NCR's flooded roads she has done well and with the 230mm ground clearance plies through the water without fear. As the air intake is not mounted at the bottom hydro-locks are thus far not a problem. Ride is comparable to a Camry, better than the Superb.

I am planning to let others at home drive my prized possession so mileage should jump a bit from the current 900 odd kms a month and we should hit the 10,000 kms first service in 2 months or so. Will give a full update with photos then including of the underside. So far, with God's grace, no niggles, no rattles, no complaints.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-7k.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 16:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
So far, with God's grace, no niggles, no rattles, no complaints.
You seem to have been almost expecting for some issue or the other to crop up. That shouldn't be the attitude when owning such an expensive car. Very low expectations
Old 14th August 2015, 18:32   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva View Post
You seem to have been almost expecting for some issue or the other to crop up. That shouldn't be the attitude when owning such an expensive car. Very low expectations
Dear Siva, nothing of the kind. I spoke to my XC60 and she told me with a kind and considerate master like myself she would not dream of niggles, rattles or complaints. That's my girl!

I mentioned this specifically because so many threads on Team BHP talk of the troubles and faults with expensive cars that the hapless owners are facing. And as tens of thousands read Team BHP I thought it fit to make a clear mention of this. I see from your earlier posts that you drive a D4 Summum XC60. Happy too I guess. My Volvo XC60 is saying hi to your Volvo. I have asked Volvo to let me know when the S.90 will be launched in India. Would like to evaluate it to replace my Superb. Your thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 19:33   #100
BHPian

Congratulations on a niggle free 7000km V. Narayan.
Wish you many more happy miles.

I see you are eyeing concept cars now!
Jokes apart, the S90 is currently undergoing road testing. As per the many spy shots doing the rounds of the internet, it is expected to follow the same designs philosophy as the new XC90 (read Thor Hammer headlamps). That would be a real looker in sedan form.

Siva, there seem to be no D4 E-drive reviews on TeamBHP.
Could you please oblige?
If I missed your review could you please point me to it.
I am eager to know how these new engines are faring.
Do you have any issues with the Start-Stop Tech?
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 15:37   #101
BHPian

My D4 Drive-E is doing great as well. No niggles or rattles . Completed close to 9500km. Nearing 1st service. Had to top up engine oil 0.5L at 9200. Dealership did it at no cost.
@psispace - you can read my observations on the D4 in the official review thread. It's not much but covers the basics. Start/Stop works as advertised. It's pain in crawling traffic. So I keep it switched off mostly. Use it to shut off the engine at signals when I need to.
Siva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 15:44   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

The Volvo XC60 has just completed 10,000 kms and went through her first service. In the post I am covering the experience at the service centre (with costs) and my overall experience with the car over its first 10 months.

The 10k Service & Costs:

The total cost (all round figures) was Rs 26,000 + Taxes of Rs 3000 = Rs 29,000. With my driving rate of 1000 kms a month the annualized maintenance, thus far, is at Rs 35k a year. The 26,000 included a change of a reflector that was damaged after being hit by a pebble while driving. Cost of Reflector Rs 5200 + Labour Rs 2000. The labour I thought was a stretch but in the interest of getting it done I said onwards and upwards. So the basic servicing came to about Rs 22,000. This included the customary oil changes / top ups + wheel balancing, cleaning the brakes, oil filter and Aircon filter. Interestingly the aircon filter needed to be changed. It was choked to death. Our Skoda Superb's aircon is not changed every 10,000 kms for sure. Maybe the Swedes built the Volvo aircon for the cleaner Scandinavian air and here in Delhi-NCR we have a world champion in air & dust pollution.

The XC60 has a peculiar feature of requiring a funnel to be inserted into the fuel tank mouth in order to accommodate the fuel nozzles at our pumps. Volvo has introduced an OEM bulletin to replace the fuel tank openings with a new one that is compatible with Indian pumps. Done free of cost.

The quality of the servicing was ok to good. Not outstanding but fairly decent. They scored high on courtesy and speed - went in at 0930 hours and drove out at 1300 hours. As this was my first dealing with a Volvo service I sat there and watched. Had two conference calls which I took from a meeting room they had. It was hard to determine how well set up were their processes as there were barely 3 cars getting serviced so no occasion to estimate what it will be like when they are running at full capacity. The same owner (of Swede Auto, Gurgaon) also owns Giriraj Motors of Skoda and that place would be a delight in lack of process mapping. On the whole a decent first experience.

Experience with the car thus far:

Green

Love its throaty muted growl and decent acceleration. Love its low end torque.
Very steady on the road. If you take your hands off the steering wheel the car doesn’t drift an inch. Like most European cars braking is very good.
City Safety works. It has got triggered about half a dozen times now - always in close traffic.
Touchwood in 10 months the car has given no trouble at all. Done several short inter-city day trips with no issue. Frankly I don’t expect a 10 month old car to have issues but just clarifying.
The 3M PPC is doing its job well. No milkiness or bubbles. Can be polished over. I am happy I got the whole car done and will likely do it on my next new car too.
Seats are the best in the business.
Aircon is fully adequate for the Delhi summer. No complaints even in the rear seat from my better half who likes it chilled.
Blue tooth for the mobile phone.
NCAP 5 star rating

Amber

Music system is fine. Actually I am a plain Kishore Kumar -Asha Bhonsle type of listener and do not have an ear for sophistication in music systems. To me the speakers of the Honda Jazz and the Volvo seem the same even though the Volvo probably has a much higher quality system.
Rear view while parking/reversing is okay for a car of this size. In comparison to my trusty steed, the Honda Jazz, most cars' all round view would pale!
Rear seat comfort is quite good but the ride is not as soft as a Camry (we have an 8 year old Camry at the office used as a customer hack so that's my comparison point).

Red -What I don’t like:

Too many, just too many controls and variations and combinations for radio, music, air conditioning, mobile telephony, wipers and what not. I prefer simplicity. With great effort I have grasped the controls set them at a minimum standard for myself and told my drivers not to fiddle with them.
Space saver instead of a full sized spare.
Lousy navigation system - better without it.

On the whole a very positive experience with the Volvo XC60. in 2016 I would be evaluating the Volvo S90 as a possible contender to replace our current workhorse, the Superb.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 13:52   #103
BHPian

Quote:
The Volvo XC60 has just completed 10,000 kms and went through her first service.
Congrats on your 10k. Your car is picking up miles pretty fast. Glad to know no major niggles.

Quote:
Music system is fine. Actually I am a plain Kishore Kumar -Asha Bhonsle type of listener and do not have an ear for sophistication in music systems. To me the speakers of the Honda Jazz and the Volvo seem the same even though the Volvo probably has a much higher quality system.
The Volvos system is miles ahead. Volvo makes one of the best OEM music systems. Although the previous gen Dynaudio systems were a patch better than the ones provided now.
Nevertheless, I am sure you will be hearing the 'Tablas' and 'Mridangs' in Kishoreda's and Ashadi's songs a lot clearer in the Volvo than in the Jazz

In the newer Volvos they are going a step further and offering Bowers and Wilkins audio systems. These are found in high end models of Jaguar, BMW 7 series, Masserati etc.

Quote:
Rear view while parking/reversing is okay for a car of this size. In comparison to my trusty steed, the Honda Jazz, most cars' all round view would pale!
If you haven't already, do consider adding a reverse camera. It is quite useful and takes away a lot of stress from parking in unfamiliar places.

Quote:
Rear seat comfort is quite good but the ride is not as soft as a Camry (we have an 8 year old Camry at the office used as a customer hack so that's my comparison point).
The Camry indeed has a very plush ride and I think its' the most comfortable this side of a Merc. My Dad's 2014 Camry is really a delight to drive relaxed on normal roads. Rear seat comfort and space cannot be matched. But on the highway, its' a different story. Even he felt the firmer suspension of the Volvo makes it feel like it is just gliding along. Until, of course, a nice big expansion joint comes up over a bridge!

Quote:
Too many, just too many controls and variations and combinations for radio, music, air conditioning, mobile telephony, wipers and what not. I prefer simplicity. With great effort I have grasped the controls set them at a minimum standard for myself and told my drivers not to fiddle with them.
Sometimes there is just too much technology in our cars. What is meant to make us comfortable, sometimes, takes away the driving experience.

Buying a new car now is akin to buying a new mobile or PC. It takes a while getting used to all the settings and features. Its' more than just getting used to the clutch, throttle, brake and car dimensions. With cars gradually getting automated, sadly, very soon we wouldn't have to be bothered with those too!
psispace is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 08:05   #104
VKM
BHPian

i took a test drive: xc60 & s80.
xc60 test vehicle has done only 1500kms, but i found that the sunroof beading fell off when the door was closed. also the s80 which had done about 10k kms had rattling noise at the rear which was unbearable.
this makes me hesitate regarding the fit.
can you guys tell me if you have any rattles/creaks? for long term, say 5-7 years, do you feel the car can withstand our road conditions? i'm planning to get a volvo with an idea of owning it for long term & so more interested in long term ownership info.
your inputs would be of great help.
Thanks in advance!
Old 1st December 2015, 21:40   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
i took a test drive: xc60 & s80.
xc60 test vehicle has done only 1500kms, but i found that the sunroof beading fell off when the door was closed. also the s80 which had done about 10k kms had rattling noise at the rear which was unbearable.
this makes me hesitate regarding the fit.
can you guys tell me if you have any rattles/creaks? for long term, say 5-7 years, do you feel the car can withstand our road conditions? i'm planning to get a volvo with an idea of owning it for long term & so more interested in long term ownership info.
your inputs would be of great help.
Thanks in advance!
Dear VKM,

My experience over the first 11 months and 12,000 kms has been excellent. No trouble, niggles or rattles at all. And the XC60 has been a pleasure to drive. Thus far the sales person too has remained responsive whenever I contact him for a query. I cannot comment on the trial car that the dealer has or why he has maintained them poorly. As you can see from my personal information I have bought & used a lot of cars in my time and the Volvo XC60 and the Honda Jazz rate as my two favourite cars from the lot. Of course you have to make your decision but I do think the Volvo is a hardy machine. The best and only long term ownership review is the one by psispace at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-review-4.html

Look forward to hearing how your test runs and decisions go. Best of luck. - Narayan

Most Viewed