Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 19:34   #91
BHPian

Re: Volvo S60 D5: 9 years, 75000 km Ownership Review

9 Years, 75000 km Update

The service reminder popped up in the MID last month. But due to obvious reasons, it had to wait. My service advisor was kind enough to book my car on priority the day the showroom and service center opened. As is usual, my car was picked up in the morning and delivered back in the evening after service.

No issues except for a difference in ride quality due to a busted left rear suspension. I do not know if this is related to the tyre upsize or me hitting some pot holes at high speed recently. Anyway as the part was not available at present, its replacement was postponed for a later date. In the present scenario, I don't contemplate any long drives anyway.

The bill for this year's service comes to around 22k with routine changes of filters (including DPF filter) and oil changes. I would have to shell out another 12 -14k once the suspension arrives.

We are living in difficult times now and I am glad I have a trusty steed with me to keep company in my journey. Hope things work out for all of us and this world becomes a safer place soon.
psispace is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 00:25   #92
BHPian

re: Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!

Hello!
Firstly let me take a moment out to express my gratitude to have someone like you keep posting year on year about your s60 in so much depth. hats off brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
Tyre upsize again at 69,000km !

The stock tyres were 215/50 R17 Continentals. Years ago I had upsized to 225/45 R17 Michelin P3ST which were within recommended limits. Subsequently I changed to 225/50 R17 P3ST which offered a little more ground clearance. These were slightly off limits but still ok. Michelin has now come with near 'SUVish' 225/55 R17s in their Primacy 4 series. I did some research online. Although they were grossly out of the recommended upsize range, it was not dangerously so. So I decided to take the plunge and changed to this size.
so about this. i have the 2017 s60 d4 and she came with stock 235/40 r18 conti tyres. i've done about 30k kms and am now looking to swap my tires.

problem is that very few and expensive options are there for this specific size. i wanted to ask you how you decided to upsize your tyres and also how you were able to figure out the recommended limits.
i'd really appreciate some good advice as the local dealers are basically only recommending whatever tyres they have in stock(which is good for them from a business stand point but sucks for me)
Also, the options given to me were:
1) Pirelli P zero - 17k each
2) michelin PS 3/4 - 21500
3) ContisportContact 3 - 22500(these are the ones i have on currently)
4) Accelera - 10k each
5) Michelins (245/45 r18, not too sure if these are safe for the car though.)

i would like to increase my tyre profile as well but i'm scared it my scrape the wheel arches.

would love to hear whatever inputs you might have!
KingCheeese is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 16:23   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCheeese View Post
Hello!
Firstly let me take a moment out to express my gratitude to have someone like you keep posting year on year about your s60 in so much depth. hats off brother!
Thank you for your thoughts

Quote:
so about this. i have the 2017 s60 d4 and she came with stock 235/40 r18 conti tyres. i've done about 30k kms and am now looking to swap my tires.

problem is that very few and expensive options are there for this specific size. i wanted to ask you how you decided to upsize your tyres and also how you were able to figure out the recommended limits.

i would like to increase my tyre profile as well but i'm scared it my scrape the wheel arches.
Firstly, your tyres are 18 inches, whereas mine are 17s. So I have a little more space to spare for upsizing. With your tyres, I wouldn't recommend increasing both width and profile. Your wheel wells might scrape on hard cornering or while hitting a road discrepancy at high speed. The recommended diameter increase from original should ideally be less than 3% of original. There are many resources online to check this. I just checked your's on this sight.
Its' slightly more than 5% on 245/45. If you are in good terms with a Volvo service agent, you can take his advise too. They, more than tyre dealers, will be familiar with the tolerance limits.

Secondly, are you up-sizing for comfort or performance ?
I hope you are comfortable on those 18 inches. A majority of S60 owners are not too happy with the bigger rims. I hope the roads at your place are smooth. Up-sizing will definitely affect ride quality.
If you are looking for more comfort and willing to downsize, I recommend 17 inch wheels with 50 profiles.
Those 18s are hard to beat for performance though.

Quote:
i'd really appreciate some good advice as the local dealers are basically only recommending whatever tyres they have in stock(which is good for them from a business stand point but sucks for me)
4) Accelera - 10k each
Its' true that tyres with this size are expensive. But they are all worth their price. I am partial towards Michelins and their all weather (Primacy PS4) soft tread tyres. Their Pilot Sport series are also good if you are performance inclined. The Contis don't last well on our roads. I've had side wall bulges with my original set.

All the best and wish you many more happy miles on your Volvo.
psispace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 23:56   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Secondly, are you up-sizing for comfort or performance ?
I hope you are comfortable on those 18 inches. A majority of S60 owners are not too happy with the bigger rims. I hope the roads at your place are smooth. Up-sizing will definitely affect ride quality.
If you are looking for more comfort and willing to downsize, I recommend 17 inch wheels with 50 profiles.
Those 18s are hard to beat for performance though.
Thanks for the quick reply!
i was considering increasing the profile for comfort. but like you mentioned i guess its not an option for me unless i downsize my rims first. but i probably won't be doing that.

Coming to the ride, i do agree with the rest of the bunch who complain about it . it is STIFFFF! i can feel every bump making its way through my spine lol.
TBH in the start i was pretty unhappy with the ride, almost wanted to swaap the car but that all ended once i did i highway run from hyderabad to bangalore. that drive really made me fall in love with the whole package. as bad as a stiff setup with 18' wheel can be for our roads, it was a real beauty on a well paved highway. i could just not get enough of it. it gripped so well and it has this beautiful sense of directness which i love! i does really well to soak up the minor undulations on the highways at high speeds as well.
one more thing though, i experience a lot of torque steer of my car. do you think i can reduce that with grippier tyres or is it just something FWD cars throw at you?

Since you've recommended michelin PS4s, i'm going to push for them because i've heard they give good life as well and i have heard a lot of people tell me that the Pirelli's are notorious for picking up sidewall bulges and that they shine only on well paved roads. i have another friend who has a S60 with 215/50 R17. He's been using Michelins for more than 40k kms and we reckon that they'll last for another 5k kms atleast. i was very impressed by that.

Sidenote: if i get Michelins this will be the first time i try the brand. pretty excited to see what the hype is all about
KingCheeese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 15:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!
i experience a lot of torque steer of my car. do you think i can reduce that with grippier tyres or is it just something FWD cars throw at you?

Since you've recommended michelin PS4s, i'm going to push for them because i've heard they give good life as well and i have heard a lot of people tell me that the Pirelli's are notorious for picking up sidewall bulges and that they shine only on well paved roads. i have another friend who has a S60 with 215/50 R17. He's been using Michelins for more than 40k kms and we reckon that they'll last for another 5k kms atleast. i was very impressed by that.
Although I'm not an expert with this, to my knowledge, this is ingrained in FWD cars as the drive shafts are asymmetric. Modern cars may have an intermediate drive shaft to eliminate this.

If you feel it aggressively, you may also need to check wheel alignment and steering rod - wheel camber.

Grippier tyres may eliminate this to some extent.

Quote:
Sidenote: if i get Michelins this will be the first time i try the brand. pretty excited to see what the hype is all about
You won't be disappointed.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 11:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Hello!

4) Accelera - 10k each

would love to hear whatever inputs you might have!
Hi KingCheese, i am driving the S60 D4 2015 with 18 inches wheels, my lasts set of tyres were Michellin Pilot Sport 3, costed me a bomb and were not worth the price unless you are into racing, started showing signs of aging at about 22000 Kms, stretched them to approx 30000 Kms and recently updated in March to 245 45 R18 Pirelli P Zeros (16k a piece).

Have driven only a 1000 kms since it has beeen lockdown everywhere, initial takeaway is great steering feedback post the upgrade, the biggest problem i felt after last tyre change was that the steering feedback was good up until first few thousand KMS and then it became hard to steer, lets see how these serve me in future.

Here is a picture below to show how it looks after fitment.

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-6599.jpg
M.Dua is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:02   #97
BHPian

Quote:
If you feel it aggressively, you may also need to check wheel alignment and steering rod - wheel camber.

Grippier tyres may eliminate this to some extent.
Nah, I think it's the normal amount of oversteer that one can expect with a decently powered engine. But I will update you about the difference once I get my new tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Dua View Post
Hi KingCheese, i am driving the S60 D4 2015 with 18 inches wheels, my lasts set of tyres were Michellin Pilot Sport 3, costed me a bomb and were not worth the price unless you are into racing, started showing signs of aging at about 22000 Kms, stretched them to approx 30000 Kms and recently updated in March to 245 45 R18 Pirelli P Zeros (16k a piece).
Thanks M.Dua, I definitely like the sound of spending about 5-6k lesser on each tyre.
But also, your 245/45 R18 tyres are peaking my interest. How's the ride so far? Do you experience any problems on breakers/potholes where the tyres hit thr wheel arches?
Old 20th July 2020, 13:18   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks M.Dua, I definitely like the sound of spending about 5-6k lesser on each tyre.
But also, your 245/45/R18 tyres are peaking my interest. How's the ride so far? Do you experience any problems on breakers/potholes where the tyres hit thr wheel arches?
Not at all, no issues and nothing scrapping(must be visible from picture, there is quite alot of space), discussed with a group of Volvo owners before the upgrade, they had been using this size and were pretty happy with the upsize, on the contrary the GC has been much better than the earlier 235/40/R18.
M.Dua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 16:08   #99
BHPian

Hi Mate, last week, I saw the ad in olx and its Volvo S60 and same colour as yours.

Got curious and ended up reading your in depth wonderful review which further sparked my sudden desire for this car.

The guy is quoting 9.60 lakhs, it has clocked 110000kms.
I have not done the test drive yet but wanted your opinion on buying 9 years old car?
Rama Naveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 15:29   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
The guy is quoting 9.60 lakhs, it has clocked 110000kms.
I have not done the test drive yet but wanted your opinion on buying 9 years old car?
Price seems good.
These cars are just warming up at this mileage.

Please do the test drive and get a service history from your local Volvo dealer if possible.

Although Volvo's service charges are reasonable, parts are expensive. At 9 years and more than 100+k on odo, you will have to look at suspension, rubber beadings on the doors and pillars etc. Also look at underbody, the ground clearance on this is quite low. Also check if the parking sensors are functional. If these are faulty, you will need to spend around 40k for those.
Keep such costs in mind. If the car was well maintained and serviced, these shouldn't be an issue.

Best of luck
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 07:54   #101
BHPian

Wow what a car psispace !!!!,
Solid build quality and still looks young( though 2011 model).
Done the test drive and I was blown away.
I felt the car engine is refined and its performance definitely puts a smile on your face. It can easily overtake any car and amazing brakes.
Brilliant music system and AC was also effective.
I was impressed with seat electronic adjustment control and its response and rear parking sensors, the way it shouts or warns.
I am really used to low maintenance figures of Tata Bolt Diesel and I did not ask for any negotiation but the car dealer confirmed its second owner. The cluster was complaining about service warning.
Yes Gound clearance is low but I got experience to tackle with this problem
A) Reduce the alloy size from original to one size less
B) Keep tyre size same
C) Add Roger Ab
This will ensure smooth sailing on any terrible pot holes without affecting vehicles driving dynamics.
Now this is purely depend if my old car moves out good rate and I got to manage balance amount on loan.
Will see how it goes
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-img20201010wa0009.jpeg  

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-img20201010wa0004.jpeg  

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-img20201010wa0006.jpeg  

Rama Naveen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 20:15   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
Wow what a car psispace !!!!,
Solid build quality and still looks young( though 2011 model).
That particular colour has this effect on you when you see it for the first time.

Quote:
I am really used to low maintenance figures of Tata Bolt Diesel and I did not ask for any negotiation but the car dealer confirmed its second owner.
Now this is purely depend if my old car moves out good rate and I got to manage balance amount on loan.
Will see how it goes
Great ! All the best with that.

As I see from the pictures, your car seems to be radar equipped. This is, unless one of the previous owners has changed the front bumper or grill. In 2011, this came as standard in 'Summum' models and subsequently it was dropped out the next year in India. The radar unit is located right behind the black casing on the right half of the front grill. If this is faulty, it will show up as an alarm. I get this regularly as "Radar Manual Blocked" when it rains or there is a lot of dirt. This is normal. But it should not show up otherwise. As I have mentioned in the beginning of this thread, it will be very expensive to replace. Get this checked if you can. You will need it for adaptive cruise control (if you are ever going to use it).

Quote:
The cluster was complaining about service warning.
A service warning can mean many things. It could mean anything from a pending routine service to something like worn out brake discs. Ask if you can take the car to the authorized service center to have this checked and also check the service history. Don't take the dealers word for it. I feel this is mandatory before you make a decision to purchase.
Old 24th October 2020, 20:24   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Tyre upsize again at 69,000km !
Since it's been an year you upgraded the tyres, would like to know if it's still a thumps up from your side?

I own exactly the same model s60 like yours, same color as well. Would like to know if you recommend upsizing the tyres to 225 55 r17?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th October 2020 at 22:07. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post as it affects small screen users. Thanks.
Turbo roast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 19:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo roast View Post
Since it's been an year you upgraded the tyres, would like to know if it's still a thumps up from your side?
Two thumbs up !

Quote:
I own exactly the same model s60 like yours, same color as well. Would like to know if you recommend upsizing the tyres to 225 55 r17?
That would depend on your requirements.

You will lose a bit of top end performance with the higher profile. Its' enough for my present driving style. I had to really give it the beans on the twisties for the front tyres to start squealing. This is not something I do regularly. I just did it out of curiosity to see the limits of its performance.
The advantage additional profile provides is increased ride comfort. But mind you, this is with lower than recommended tyre pressures. I use 30 to 31 psi. 32 psi for long drives. Anything more than this the stock suspension is not able to handle.

I upgraded to this size due to the bad roads that were prevalent last year, and to get some additional ground clearance. From your handle, you seem to be from Thrissur. So this might be relevant to you too. If these are not relevant, then 225/50 is the ideal compromise between comfort and performance. I am basically from Thrissur and come there often as my parents still live there. Although due to the present pandemic, these visits are few and restricted. You may PM me if you would like to test drive my car.

Cheers
Old 28th October 2020, 08:17   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Two thumbs up !

Cheers
Thanks much for your quick response. Like you said, road condition in Thrissur is no different from what you have it over there and I prefer comfort over performance at this point of time.
You can expect more queries from my side on s60 😊. Thanks again.
Cheers!
Turbo roast is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed