Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 21:50   #106
BHPian

Re: Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 Years, 82000 km update!

10 years, 82000km Update

And so a decade has passed since I got my hands on this baby. How time flies! Feels like only yesterday that I had started typing the first lines of this thread. I personally never imagined I would be able to retain her for so long. The itch to by a new car was always there. The pandemic forced me to hold onto my resources a bit longer as the future still seemed a bit unpredictable. And I did not want the burden of a loan during this time. The reliability of this car meant that it did not warrant a new purchase either. Then there is the resale value proposition. Well, this has aged beyond where that becomes an issue. A new Creta is more expensive than what she is worth right now. But what she holds in reliability is invaluable. I’ve always felt a little sorrow when letting go of my old cars. If I had the space and the resources (i.e. the moolah), I wouldn’t have sold any of them. It would indeed be a very heavy heart when I part with this one.

Since her last service in May last year, she only required replacement of the left rear shock absorber (Rs16,000) and front ABS sensors (Rs.11,000).

Things were going smooth until November last year when we had a minor accident. I got rear ended by a container truck at low speed. The truck was parked on the opposite side of the road to take a sweeping turn into a narrow road on my side. I thought the truck was parked there and was passing him. The driver of the truck thought that traffic was clear and he started turning just as I was in his blind spot. He ended up nudging my right rear fender.

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-20201102_141802.jpg

That fender is a single piece that goes all the way to the A pillar. That and the rear bumper had to be replaced. Removing the rear fender, supposedly disturbs the integrity of the beading holding the rear wind screen, and the demist wires running into it. Hence it was recommended that even that be replaced. My insurance company (Oriental Insurance) was okay with that. Glass parts were fully covered in my policy.

The rear window costs 45,000; the rear fender 65,000; and the bumper 69,000.

Unrelated to this incident, the roof lining had started peeling off slowly since a few months until it reached the stage in the picture below.

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-20191013_095940.jpg

Replacing this would involve removing the front wind screen. So I had put it off to another service. As advised by my trusty service engineer, this was held together with pins temporarily which would not be visible outside. As luck (or the lack of it) would have it, I used this opportunity to replace the lining. The original lining would cost more than a lakh. I was allowed to outsource mine for 20,000 from a local upholstery dealer (Binu’s car boutique, Kollenchery). The quality was good. If you haven’t seen the original, you wouldn’t know the difference.

You know your time isn’t good when your car's alternator belt gives up on you, on your way back from the police station, which you visited, to collect, the GD entry for the accident you were involved in 2 days back.

I was barely able to reach back to my apartment on limp mode. To add insult to injury, she now had to be flat-bedded to the service center.

All this with labour came to around 2,85,000. I was reimbursed 2,00,000 by my insurance company. Because of the low IDV, my NCB didn’t take a bad hit. My insurance was renewed this year for 22,000 (It was 17,000 last year after NCB of 6600).

There were no issues with the work done and she came back with a good paint job after three weeks. That’s right, it took three weeks as the fender part was not available in India. This seems to be the expected timeline for imported cars in India. Couple that with the occasional Covid related lock-downs, the part took its’ time coming. I didn’t have the heart to drive it around in this condition till then. So I left it at the service center till the work was done. I did receive regular updates via calls as to when the part would arrive during this period.

I had the opportunity of using my dad’s Camry till then. This was a 2014 model but with low running, it was as good as new. I was reminded again of how smooth and silent modern petrol engines are. The quiet, unhurried way in which it wafted across roads was a sharp contrast to the gruff urgency of my diesel Volvo. My next car has to be a petrol or a petrol hybrid.

She was due for her 10th year service in March this year. However the local lock downs in force in Kerala at the time, meant I had to stare at the ‘Service due’ message on the MID in the morning every day for two months. This month she got fed up and started showing me ‘Service Over Due!’. So I told her alright, alright, and finally got an appointment for her service. Part of the reason for delay was parts availability and my need for same day delivery. As usual, when the time came, the car was picked up in the morning and returned in the evening.

Apart from routine service, the timing belt needed to be changed. It was recommended to be changed at 100,000km, but since it was already 10 years, I was advised early change.

Routine service with oil change, filters etc came to 28,000. Wiper blades were changed for 5000. With the timing belt, belt tensioner and associated parts and labour, the gross total of this service was 83000.

The seatbelt pretensioners were changed as part of a global recall. Also my model year is part of a global recall for change of door locks. As they didn’t have stock, this was postponed for a future service. My rear disc pads would need replacement in 5000km. Also the right front suspension strut and bush are at significant wear.

Thus was an eventful 10th year. As she grows older, I do expect more parts replacements to pop up on the way. But my service engineer has assured me, that at present, nothing major is expected to be replaced.

Summing up cost of ownership till now:

Although the years mentioned below are correct, the costs are not in exact chronological order.

These do not include fuel expenses, washing services, 3M coating, non OEM accessories etc.

Some of the costs have been clubbed together and the important ones have been shown separately. To the uninitiated, it may appear shocking at first sight, but these costs are spaced out over many months in most instances.

This is just to give to a potential buyer an insight into the cost of ownership of vehicles in this class, over and above the EMI that he or she may pay.

1st year:
Routine service : Free as per introductory offer
Rear wheel arch dent repair: Rs. 16,000
Insurance: Rs.65,000 (ICICI)

2nd year:
Routine service with wiper change, rear brake pad replace : Free as per introductory offer
Insurance : Rs.58,000 (ICICI)

3rd year:
Routine service : Rs. 16,000
Rear brake pad : Rs. 8,000
Battery replace (Exide) – Rs. 14,000
Tyres replace (Michelin) – Rs. 45,000
Headlamp windscreen washer replace: Rs. 6,500
AC switch and modulator replace: Rs. 26,000
Tow hook cover : Rs.5,000
Insurance : Rs.52,000 (ICICI)

4th year:
Routine service : Rs. 16,000
Front park assist and rear camera : Rs. 1,45,000
Polestar Engine optimization: Rs.65,000
Space saver spare wheel with cover : Rs.29,500
Insurance : Rs. 19,000 (ICICI)

5th year:
Routine service with brake pad replace : Rs.25,000
Insurance: Rs.21,000 (Oriental)

6th year :
Routine service with Battery(AC Delco), turbo hose, strut, antiroll bar link replace : Rs.58,000
Rear brake discs, pads : Rs. 30,000
Left ORVM cover : Rs. 14,000
Alternator belt – Rs.4,500
Tyre change (Michelin) – Rs.50,000
Insurance : Rs.22,000 (Oriental)

7th year :
Routine service with front bumper painting : Rs. 39,000
Insurance : Rs.20,000 (Oriental)

8th year:
Routine service : Rs.26,000
Rear shock absorber : Rs.14,000
Rear center console panel : Rs. 4,500
Front brake disc, pad replace: Rs. 36,000
Metal engine protection plate : Rs. 36,000
Tyre change (Michelins) – Rs. 50,000
Battery (Amaron) : Rs.10,000
Insurance : Rs.19,500 (Oriental)

9th year:
Regular Service – Rs.22,000
Rear suspension - Rs.16,000
Front ABS sensors - Rs.11,000
Accident and incidental repairs – Rs.85,000 (2,00,000 covered by insurance)
Insurance : Rs. 17,000 (Oriental)

10th year:
Regular service: Rs.28,000
Parts replacement including timing belt: Rs.55,000
Rear Brake pads, front suspension strut , bush (pending) : (?) Rs. 25,000
Insurance: Rs.22,000 (Oriental)

This comes to roughly Rs.130,000 per year on average. As you can see, the cost increases as the car ages and plateaus at a point. I have also factored in Insurance as it is a recurring and unavoidable expense. ICICI Lombard significantly lowered my IDV in the 5th year. Hence I switched to Oriental Insurance. My car has relatively low miles on it for a 10 year old car, so these costs are subjective. Also, the drivetrain, transmission and parts have changed in some of the newer models of this car. Older parts are more expensive.

If you are reading this thread on this page for the first time, you can refer to the previous, yearly posts for details. You may revert on this thread or PM me for further info if you wish.

Its’ raining cats and dogs here in Kerala and I struggle to keep my cars clean. I just managed to click a few shots of her when she is reasonably presentable.

After a natural rainwater service.

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-20210724_141408.jpg

Interiors have aged well. I made the right choice with this upholstery. But Nappa leather will be expensive to replace if ever the need arises.

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-20210724_141515_03.jpg

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-20210724_141535.jpg

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-20210724_141546.jpg

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-20210724_141618.jpg

Reflecting back, my ‘Copper Brown’ baby has stuck with me through the years without throwing any big tantrums. She has proved her worth for every rupee I spent on her 10 years ago. She still looks fresh even after all these years and seems good to go for another 10. I still look back at her from a distance on some days wondering why I would ever part with her. Considering the present situation, it seems she’ll be with me a bit longer. And it appears she’s only too happy to tag along with an eager smile.

Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!-20210724_141348.jpg

Last edited by psispace : 24th July 2021 at 22:01.
psispace is offline   (146) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 22:46   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!

Hearty congratulations on 10 years of lively ownership of this beautiful reliable machine. I love that orange rust copper colour of your car. I hope the repair work is all done. Best of luck for many more years and miles.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 22:48   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Hearty congratulations on 10 years of lively ownership of this beautiful reliable machine. I love that orange rust copper colour of your car. I hope the repair work is all done. Best of luck for many more years and miles.
Thanks very much for the wishes.

The last photos were taken recently after the work was done.
psispace is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 10:48   #109
BHPian

Nice write up. Never had a Volvo but intrigued to note if three batteries and three new set of tyres for a ten year old vehicle with less than 1 lakh km on Odo is fine with you. Isn't it very unusual or is that considered normal. How are they considered reliable? Isn't that a bit stressful ownership?
neerajku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:01   #110
RMN
BHPian

@psispace

Honestly, the S60 has aged so well. Still looks as impressive as the current gen Volvos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajku View Post
Nice write up. Never had a Volvo but intrigued to note if three batteries and three new set of tyres for a ten year old vehicle with less than 1 lakh km on Odo is fine with you. Isn't it very unusual or is that considered normal. How are they considered reliable? Isn't that a bit stressful ownership?
Tires and battery degrade over time irrespective of the ODO reading. In addition to that such wear and tear items also degrade based on an individuals usage patterns.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:06   #111
BHPian

Awesome write-up brother! This is one of my favorite cars among all the Volvos the new ones included. The design is timeless. Wishing you many more safe miles with the Swedish beauty.
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:58   #112
BHPian

@psipace Heartiest congratulations on completing 10 years with the car. This is still my favorite color on a Volvo.
The ownership cost as highlighted by is not too much considering all cars driven over a decade are bound to go through wear and tear issues and nicks here and there.
Wishing you many more happy and safe mile on this steed of yours !
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 13:03   #113
BHPian

Kudos to you for still terming your car reliable with so many part replacements throughout your ownership and that too with only 82000 kms on ODO. Some of these must have been replaced under warranty but still the once a year service costs for your car seem pretty high. But I guess everything in this world is relative. For a car of this class seems like this experience is comparatively termed as reliable.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 13:45   #114
BHPian

Excellent write up. And excellent ideology on keeping cars longer than most do.

I do mirror your thoughts on maintenance increasing and then plateauing. My F10 525 has hit 11 years and about 1,25,000 km and some of the repairs are really gut, and wallet, wrenching.
lordtottuu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 13:46   #115
BHPian

A very classy car. I love that burnt orange color, and it stands out in the sea of white, light grey and dark grey that every car maker uses now.

Kudos to keeping this beauty for 10 years and in such pristine condition.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:40   #116
BHPian

Congratulations on a decade with the Volvo. Nice color. Comforting to know that even after 10 years, the car is doing well and spares are available.

I have a V40 CC that is just 3 years old with 20K on the odo and hoping to hold on to it for a few more years and with very few Volvo owners around sharing experiences (compared to the German trio), good to see your post. Thanks for sharing.
dsvikki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:01   #117
BHPian

Re: Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 9 Years, 75000 km update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajku View Post
In the initial years, I had very low running. I was staying at walking distance from my place of work and didn't get much time for travel. Hence that would have had an affect on the battery life.

Roads in Kerala, especially where I stay now are not straight. Especially in hilly areas, tyre wear is a lot faster due to more frequency of curves and rapid changes in road inclinations. I must admit, my driving style also has a lot to do with this. Over time, driving the same car, I became more aware of the cars limits. So I tend to not slow down too much at curves. Unless you don't be too adventurous, these cars don't unsettle if you make these maneuvers smoothly.

The car came with Continentals from the factory. These used to puncture easily and had weak side walls. Once I changed to Michelins, they were more reliable and stress free. Amaron batteries lasted longer than the AC Delco and Exide. But my runnings had also increased by the time I changed to Amarons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Kudos to you for still terming your car reliable with so many part replacements throughout your ownership and that too with only 82000 kms on ODO.
Nearly 3.5 lakhs of these were for add-on OEM parts like the rear camera (which we now take for granted in a car of this class) and engine bash plate which were relatively avoidable costs. Then there were the occasional bumps and dents which are quite expensive to repair if you don't use your insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
But I guess everything in this world is relative. For a car of this class seems like this experience is comparatively termed as reliable.
True that. Part of the reason why I detailed the ownership costs here. Should help potential buyers of second hand cars in this class plan their finances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
A very classy car. I love that burnt orange color, and it stands out in the sea of white, light grey and dark grey that every car maker uses now.
Thank you. I was a bit skeptical initially while opting for this colour. It really stands out. You cannot be discreet when you are in this car. In the first year, it grabbed a lot of attention on the highways. I half expected it'll be clicked and put on this forum. (I wasn't a member then)

This colour was soon discontinued. There were only three S60s in my state with this colour at the time. One of them is still running in Kochi. Don't know of the other. But this had made these cars even more unique. Seeing the other cars, I have been asked by many what I was doing at that location at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Kudos to keeping this beauty for 10 years and in such pristine condition.
Nothing but regular TLC
psispace is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 17:11   #118
BHPian

Re: Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!

Congratulations for the nice and unique colour of your S60 sedan. My brother has a 2016 S60 Cross Country D4 model and it has clocked around 30,000kms. If I am not wrong, Cross Country S60 is probably the only AWD Crossover sedan ever sold in India.
swiftvxi06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 17:56   #119
BHPian

Fantastic ownership review and well done for keeping it pristine on Indian roads.

I have recently picked up a 2004 S60 2.0T Automatic and absolutely love it. Only had 55k miles on the odo and in mint condition. An absolute beauty to drive and have clocked 7k miles in the last few months already up and down the country.

Volvo really know how to make their cars, and if maintained well, will go on and on outliving most of us.
s4ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 22:22   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftvxi06 View Post
Congratulations for the nice and unique colour of your S60 sedan. My brother has a 2016 S60 Cross Country D4 model and it has clocked around 30,000kms. If I am not wrong, Cross Country S60 is probably the only AWD Crossover sedan ever sold in India.
True. The S60 CC is an even more unique car in India. Its amazing how Volvo where able to pull of such a design without making it appear as if it were on stilts. It looks quite attractive with the wheel arch cladding and bigger wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Fantastic ownership review and well done for keeping it pristine on Indian roads.

I have recently picked up a 2004 S60 2.0T Automatic and absolutely love it. Only had 55k miles on the odo and in mint condition. An absolute beauty to drive and have clocked 7k miles in the last few months already up and down the country.
Thanks and Congrats! You're lucky. Thats' very low mileage for a 2004 car.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks