Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 10:47   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I beg to differ. I work for one of those companies. A reason for reduced warranties are

1: Degraded environment - extra heat and dust means increased chance of failure
2: competition does not offer this so why put one's head on the block. Only now are car manufacturer's going beyond the 1 year mark
I agree on the taxation part of things as a percentage of the product cost is to cover warranty
Possibly your company is one that is more 'ethical' than the others. Unfortunately my experience quite differs. Whenever I have bought any stuff from the US/UK, it simply lasts and lasts, no issues inspite of our heat/dust. Whenever similar items are bought in Mumbai - officially with bill and warranty, I have experienced various issues.

In case of cars, probably the localisation and quality issues also play a part, but I am yet of the opinion that the Indian customer continues to be taken for a ride.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 28th May 2009 at 10:49.
Old 28th June 2009, 04:16   #182
Awaiting Email Confirmation

E280 CDi Elegance Service # 2

I got the estimate for my E280 second service from AutoHangar at close to 35k
Not looking at shelling out that much on just a service, i got the number of Ajay Parekh (GTC) from GTO.
just for confirmation GTO, should i go ahead with this guy? is he trustworthy and knowledgeable enough? i treat my cars like my babies and don't want to give them to just anybody i don't know enough about (and this gets hard when it comes to my luxury cars)
For how long have u been getting your C serviced from this guy? What is the kind of price i should expect for this service?
Help required and appreciated.

Thanks,
Akshay

*just glad that the forum is back*

Last edited by aah78 : 28th June 2009 at 06:09. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 28th June 2009, 10:08   #183
BHPian

In defence of MNCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Possibly your company is one that is more 'ethical' than the others. .....
In case of cars, probably the localisation and quality issues also play a part, but I am yet of the opinion that the Indian customer continues to be taken for a ride.
Sir,

I worked for an MNC in India (other than one mentioned by Ajmat) and know of friends who work in some others across industries including auto. I think the notion they knowingly take customers for a ride is simply terribly false. In fact I have seen them bring in far better ethical practices than some established large Indian companies I know and worked for.

I guess it takes them a while to understand the market, customers, dealers while their cost structures remain high because they have a "developed country" mindset.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 28th June 2009 at 10:09.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:23   #184
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Electronic key gone kaput. Basically, the plastic buttons have broken off entirely. In only 4 years of use. Says a lot of the quality (or lack of) of the plastic used. Cost of key from authorised : Rs. 12,000!

Looking for aftermarket options. Or will simply use the second key for another 4 years
Old 5th October 2009, 17:34   #185
Team-BHP Support

A duplicate VIN key is 12000/-? What's the kind of margin dealer/company is keeping here!!
Old 5th October 2009, 17:51   #186
Senior - BHPian

I haven't read up on programming these electronic keys, but I'm very sure I've seen blank keys being sold for peanuts on Ebay. They can be reprogrammed for your car, provided you have someone in the know with a key programmer for the exact key. If someone has a few monies to spare, try buying this and making a business out of programming keys for even half the OEM rates.
Auto Diagnostic Series,Original Diagnostic Equipment,Auto ECU Programmer,Car Key Programmer,Code Scanners,Auto Electronics Series,Auto Testing Series,Auto Repair Series,Auto Cleaning And Care Series,Auto Store Series

Last edited by pranavt : 5th October 2009 at 17:52.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:54   #187
Team-BHP Support

Yup OE duplicate keys cost a bomb and you have to wait for a year lol.

Crv first key the plastic case has broken after 4 years, was held with super glue for couple of weeks. When that gave away, duplicate was used and in 2 weeks the battery went kaput and the jammed screw head got buggered, so cant open to replace the battery. Have to take it to some lathe which can do a precision drill job and not break the second key. Right now works as a normal key without remote activation!

Cost of replacement 14k INR. I guess Merc is cheaper in some areas.

EDIT: @GTO if you are going to use second key, first replace the battery! Before the screw gets jammed with salt from sweat and attacked by the elements. In our case the 2 years storage had done the trick on the screw and the battery :(

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th October 2009 at 17:57.
Old 5th October 2009, 18:46   #188
BHPian

Its a blatant cash grab and yes every manufacturer is good at it! Out here, a genuine Honda key costs $250 so I guess its the same ballpark amount.
Old 5th October 2009, 18:57   #189
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
A duplicate VIN key is 12000/-? What's the kind of margin dealer/company is keeping here!!
Well, lets put it this way. They're healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I haven't read up on programming these electronic keys, but I'm very sure I've seen blank keys being sold for peanuts on Ebay.
Aha, whenever in doubt, use Ebay. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@GTO if you are going to use second key, first replace the battery! Before the screw gets jammed with salt from sweat and attacked by the elements. In our case the 2 years storage had done the trick on the screw and the battery :(
Will do tonight itself. Thank you
Old 5th October 2009, 19:54   #190
Team-BHP Support

Also if there is slightest hint of jamming, take it to a watch repair guy they are experts in opening such screws!
Old 6th October 2009, 07:51   #191
BHPian

Another example of poor reliability or longevity. German engineered cars are a terrific delight to drive but the clawing feeling of maintenance and their upkeep costs really makes me and my wallet shudder.

If there's one lesson I learn again and again from Team BHP it is that practicality is important and it matters more than delightful driving experience. The latter invariably seems to come at some "uncertain" future cost.

Every time I read ownership reports of an Audi / BMW / Merc / VW my heart yearns for it. I tell myself I will earn enough to buy one of these cars. But the more reports I read about failure of such complex engineering and thus the downtime, extra costs and the hassle, the mind takes over and says, "How the heck are you going to justify these spends?"

This battle between the heart and the mind is getting resolved in favor of the mind (atleast for now ) after learning from others' experience, which is of course far cheaper .

Last edited by diffsoft : 6th October 2009 at 08:02.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:57   #192
evo
BHPian

As I posted earlier, the Skoda keys cost upwards of 8000, a guy with some machine is capable of making a key that opens doors but it seems he cant do the radio stuff required to start the engine.
Old 11th October 2009, 00:32   #193
Team-BHP Support

Something even I'm a little troubled about since a few weeks. My Honda runs a H.I.S.S. and I only got one key from the previous owner.
Is there anyone around in Mumbai who could replicate the code from the key itself to make me a second key?

manson.
Old 11th October 2009, 08:17   #194
Senior - BHPian

Nope. You have to get it done from Honda. People keep talking about blank keys that can be reprogrammed by some imaginary corner shop person, but if you have a new age car with immobilizers, you'll need to get it done from the A.S.S..
Old 11th October 2009, 08:59   #195
Team-BHP Support

Immortalz, I've seen those corner shops which are not really corner shops.

They have all the diagnostic tools to plug into the ECU for every car model. From there they program the new blank key and test it out. They even give a warranty with the new key.

The place is near mission road in bangalore and the Skoda/Honda/Toyota keys were costing Rs.2,000.

The keys are branded from an italian company Electronic Keys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks