Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 10:43   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
1) Whats is service coverage? What can it cost as a % of the car -- if I am close to it 'below'?
Similar to the packages that BMW offers. They typically cost about 6 - 8 % of the car, but cover everything for 5 years / 1,00,000 kms (including services, oils, battery, brake pads etc. etc.).

More information here.
Old 25th November 2008, 11:17   #107
Team-BHP Support

So Merc also offers similar packages like BMW? Are they as comprehensive? Any details on the packages available GTO?
Old 25th November 2008, 12:06   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, they don't. Neither does Mercedes offer an extended warranty. This is all set to change, sooner or later. BMWs service pack is simply too much of a magnet for potential customers to ignore.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:38   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the review GTO, this would keep most C-class buyers aware of problems that may arrive.

Although I hope MBIL has ironed out the issues that have been persistent and still appear much to my surprise:
1. The air con
2. SRS malfunction
3. Mysterious electronic glitches that just keep recurring, in your case the LHS turn signal.

I remember these very problems on our C180, although it had a much longer list. Your C220 is not even half as notorious which is a good sign.

Its funny but i have observed that most problems in German cars particularly the C-class occur early in it's life span, within the first few years. The reason i believe so is because we still have one of our C180s in Pune. Although i don't keep much tab on the car, i do know that it has not given too many problems after it's initial years. Also, our Bombay C180 was bought by my dad's friend who too hasn't really complained of any major problems.

So keep your fingers crossed, you might have seen the worst part already and smooth sailing will follow. Amen !
Old 26th November 2008, 13:04   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
50,000 kms Update:
The question is : Is it enough? Nope. I don’t think so. There have been 4 minor problems & 4 major problems (2 air-con related). A premium sedan shouldn’t have more than 1 – 2 problems (if at all) in a span of 50,000 kms. After all, we are talking about solid German engineering here. Plus, the luxo-reliability standard is the Honda Accord which rarely requires service station visits, except for scheduled maintenance, over 1.xx lakh kms. However, as you can see from the odo, the C has visited Auto Hangar on several more occasions. The frequency of repair & parts replacement is definitely more than a car of this standard deserves.
Wow GTO.
These are my thoughts exactly. Our Merc E's cooling coil gave up recently to and as it has neared the 4 year/40,000km mark the problems are showing up and we've spent around 1.5-2L for repairs.
The chaps said it is normal wear and tear as the work was mainly suspension related as well as a.c. related.
Our old 2001 accord on the other hand had only 3 problems in its 7 years. The seats got stuck, a.c. vent broke and the music system's CD player didn't work but that was it!
The merc however has undoubtedly held up much better!
Old 25th December 2008, 10:33   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Last week, I took my Parents out for a one-day religious trip to Pabal (90 kms from Lonavla). On the highway, the car went into safe mode and would not revv over 3,000 rpms. A quick call to Ajmat & Auto Hangar confirmed that we could go ahead with the journey, but power delivery was only in the Ford Fiesta 1.4D range. I didn’t even bother with pushing her and went into cruise mode myself. Still, on the expressway, she was good for 150 kph, even with the engine in safe mode. Work in progress currently at Auto Hangar. Problem? Intercooler hose gone bad. The jury is out on whether its due to wear & tear or (my suspicion) rodents!
As it turns out, the intercooler pipe gave way due to wear & tear!! I fail to understand the quality checks that Benz puts on its vendors if their rubber pipes need replacement in as little as 50,000 kms. Most of the front end was dismantled, which is when they noticed that the intake manifold had developed a crack.

Holy cow, man. How does an intake manifold develop a crack?! Mercedes stepped in and covered a substantial portion of the repair bill as a goodwill gesture. But even after that, the car was off the road for about 21 days (awaiting parts) and the bill came up to Rs. 35,xxx.

Me thinks it will be cheaper for Mercedes to ramp up their quality vis a vis the cost of "goodwill gestures". Now halfway into its 4th year of service, the 220 is definitely spending more time in the garage than I would have liked.
Old 25th December 2008, 11:42   #112
Senior - BHPian

A manifold crack in 50K KM? In a Merc of all things? That gives me the heebie jeebies! It is a sad state of affairs in India. Either the dealers suck or the cars suck or BOTH!

It is the niggling issues that really irritate us, no matter how good the dealers are. In that respect, I am really glad I own a Honda. At least the car won't give up on me.

Hopefully.

Here's to no more issues on your Merc, GTO.
Old 25th December 2008, 13:42   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
In that respect, I am really glad I own a Honda.
Agreed. You can guess my vote on this thread. I respect the Japs for the long-term trouble free service they offer. That's why I have been recommending the Accord to more than just a handful of people in my circle.
Old 28th December 2008, 05:47   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Holy cow, man. How does an intake manifold develop a crack?! Mercedes stepped in and covered a substantial portion of the repair bill as a goodwill gesture. But even after that, the car was off the road for about 21 days (awaiting parts) and the bill came up to Rs. 35,xxx.

Thats steep considering the "goodwill gesture" excluded. And 21 days to get the car repaired is way too long, the least they could do is keep all spares in stock as there are plenty prev gen c-classes running around.
It's still not to late too pick up a beamer+BSI service plan and live hassel free, the year end discounts make it even more tempting

Last edited by Sahil : 28th December 2008 at 05:48.
Old 28th December 2008, 15:14   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Thats steep considering the "goodwill gesture" excluded.
Trust me, you don't want to hear the bill amount *without* goodwill.

Quote:
It's still not to late too pick up a beamer+BSI service plan and live hassel free, the year end discounts make it even more tempting
Got some other interesting plans . But yes, I agree that the BSI service plan makes BMWs irresistable for anyone looking at premium german. Why is Merc taking so long to respond with their own service packages?
Old 28th December 2008, 17:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why is Merc taking so long to respond with their own service packages?
I think they are under the illusion that their cars will still sell in big numbers courtesy the pointed star on the hood.
Old 28th December 2008, 17:26   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me, you don't want to hear the bill amount *without* goodwill.

Got some other interesting plans . But yes, I agree that the BSI service plan makes BMWs irresistable for anyone looking at premium german. Why is Merc taking so long to respond with their own service packages?
Oh come on, stop being shady! Spill the beans...

Btw, that was the total bill amount?
MBIL taking so long to respond with their service packages just makes me infer that they don't trust their own so called quality and genuine parts.

I dont think Audi has such a package too, to create an edge for themselves they should actually give 3 years or 5 years service and spares free like they do on VW models here.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:10   #118
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Btw, that was the total bill amount?
I don't know the exact since I wasn't ever shown the bill pre-goodwill gesture, but was told that it would be well over a lac.

People are always talking about how German cars are revolutionary in technology and hence, they are unreliable. ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, I say! Look at the parts that have failed on my car (evaporator, intercooler hose, ESP, intake manifold) or yours (turbo, dislocated suspension). There is nothing revolutionary or high-tech about these parts. Isn't a doubt that the Euros are having a problem with quality control.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:20   #119
Team-BHP Support

It may not be quality control GTO. I just think that these cars are not capable to cope up with our extreme road conditions. They are designed for well paved roads and the autobahns.

I was seeing the suspension designs of these car's and the suspension travel is minimum compared to other car's. How much ever you try to adapt to our roads you can't change that design. The dust levels are also much higher leading to mechanical problems.

It's not only merc/bmw Skoda and VW also are facing the same issue.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2008, 10:34   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know the exact since I wasn't ever shown the bill pre-goodwill gesture, but was told that it would be well over a lac.

People are always talking about how German cars are revolutionary in technology and hence, they are unreliable. ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, I say! Look at the parts that have failed on my car (evaporator, intercooler hose, ESP, intake manifold) or yours (turbo, dislocated suspension). There is nothing revolutionary or high-tech about these parts. Isn't a doubt that the Euros are having a problem with quality control.
I agree they aren't the most reliable around, but there is just that something that makes us keep coming back to them. I don't see myself steeping down from the german bandwagon anytime soon, but if Lexus rolls in then just maaybe.
Although i wouldn't yet doubt the reliablity of BMW yet as the turbo replacement was not really required but done because I insisted, the oil leak could have been repaired too.And also the suspension clip snapping off was due to an impact of jumping the speed breaker. Regardless these problem should have not happened within the 1st year of a 50 lakh car. I'm still giving BMW the benifit of doubt here, but i hope i haven't spoken too soon. Let's see how it holds up,fingers crossed !

Hint: Should I infer that you are steeping down from the german bandwagon?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks