Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2007, 17:07   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO,
when our E got hit by a scooter, we got it repaired for 1.1L from outside, 40k cheaper than the Merc people. The reason it cost this much also was because of the expensive spare parts. The quality of the job is amazing.
I can give you his number if you would be interested.
I am not entirely sure but i think this 1.1L includes a 40K service bill at Sanghi Motors too.
Cheers
Old 30th January 2007, 18:11   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Lambo. Would appreciate the number, as it would certainly come in handy once the warranty is over.
Old 31st January 2007, 17:12   #78
BHPian

I had my front suspension work done.. for 44K... cheaper than the Benz workshop which quoted 65k for the same.. these are all with genuine OE parts.. But the workshop is in pune GTO.. so u might have to send the car here..
Old 14th February 2007, 19:06   #79
Team-BHP Support

Sunday night

There she was waiting for me in Taj Lands End - gleaming in black. Got in and things got steamy inside....no no no, it was not Rush,..the AC was so chilly, my specs had condensation.

First impressions were - great makeover compared to the C220 which I drove a couple of years back. Great music system, bit bassy but those things can be tweaked. Bandra roads meant that things were bumpy, but the torque was talking!

Out of the Blue (that also where we went for dinner) - Rush hands me the keys. Unfamilar - expensive car, in an unfamilar place in the dark. Things were intutive, every button I pressed did what I thought it did.

Set off gently - car is very easy to place but the mirrors are a joke, they are more suited for the indicator signals than for vision.

Give her some stick shouts Rush, I put my foot down - -whooooaa, she really surged forward. Onto the Bandra seaface (I think), I put my foot down, she just went, we hit the Western highway at around 120, and approached some gentle bends, she just went straight through them.

Compared to the W124 230E I used to use, the roll whatever there is, is very progressive. The 230E used to go into a bend, then, as if someone pulled a switch, transferred weight onto one side, then transferred the weight back.

This was the first manual Merc I have driven (correction, I drove a w114 250 with a column shift once). The throw was longer and the clutch had more travel - compared to the vtec, hence I did miss a gear or two during quick shifting and much to Rush's disgust, I stalled the car a few times. The "foot" hand brake + manual box is a challenge on a hill.

Brakes - brilliant, came off the Bandra sea face and braked really hard near the hard right without out any protest. My vtec would be waving its bum in protest.

Steering is precise if slightly benign but the wheel is a bit large for high speed twirling

All in all, a very nice car to drive, the right size for me - just hope it remains as reliable. hmmmm, new merc C around the corner...will prices drop ?

PS - Even though Mercs are common, hotel folks outside started giving me extra salaams etc..........
Old 15th February 2007, 11:49   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Generally, people take a while before getting used to a new car (in terms of driving experience). However Ajit and the Merc took to each other like a fish does to water....not surprising keeping their history in mind. Well driven Ajit (except for the stalls), especially the fast left-hander on the Bandra-worli sealink. Took her like a train on rails!
Old 15th February 2007, 21:28   #81
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure all that seat time Ajit has been putting in Sriperambudur is also showing.
Old 18th September 2007, 13:31   #82
BHPian

sorry for reviving this thread but could not control. I had high regards for merc and their build quality before reading this thread. but it has come crashing down.

just imagine you pay around 20-25 lakhs for a car thinking you are buying a quality product which would give a trouble free service for atleast many years to come. BUT, all you get is a trouble free service and a great ride quality of just 10,000 kms ??? and getting robbed in daylight in the name of service.. man,

a company like merc who boast about their build quality should be ashamed.
what is the use of their highly regarded technology if it cant give atleast a good run for their customers money for 1,00,000 kms??
Old 18th September 2007, 14:40   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nayak, Couldnt agree more that Merc problems are unjustifiable. However, there have been some improvements in the recent past. Case in point is my C220 which, at 37000 kms, has not had too many problems.
Old 18th September 2007, 16:43   #84
BHPian

Looking forward to comparing the new w204 C-Class. Mercedes apparently are trying to build them like the old cars from the 70's and 80's. Putting reliability first and profit second.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:25   #85
BHPian

GTO, This is the first time I am seeing "quality" issues regarding Merc.

I am shocked to see the nature of problems you have had - all small issues yet annoying. My opinion on Mercs have changed.

My experience with Mercs have been limited to Taxi rides in Europe. Given that Taxis are Mercs in many places, I was believing they should be trouble free - Why else would Taxi operators buy an expensive Merc? Even old Taxis were rattle-free - which left an impression that Mercs are built to last. But, then the review comments I read here are contrasting!!!
Old 8th October 2007, 06:16   #86
BHPian

Mainentance costs of older Mercs.

I looked through an older thread on the cost of ownership of Mercs in India, but could not find the answer to a question on maintenance costs of the older w124 models as compared to the newer C, E, S class models. Would it be safe to assume that the costs would be similar if not higher in a few cases?

I was talking to the head of a merc dealership and he mentioned that even if you were to buy a w124 at 5-8L, you should budget spending upto 2L/year for maintenance costs.. Most folks tend to run to mechanics, but if done wrong, the end cost to you tends to be much higher..
Old 8th October 2007, 06:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
GTO, This is the first time I am seeing "quality" issues regarding Merc.

I am shocked to see the nature of problems you have had - all small issues yet annoying. My opinion on Mercs have changed.

My experience with Mercs have been limited to Taxi rides in Europe. Given that Taxis are Mercs in many places, I was believing they should be trouble free - Why else would Taxi operators buy an expensive Merc? Even old Taxis were rattle-free - which left an impression that Mercs are built to last. But, then the review comments I read here are contrasting!!!
A friend's dad works for Mercedes in Germany and mentioned that post the W124, they have been plagued with problems with regard to quality (echoed by taxi drivers in Germany and Amsterdam - who say the Audi's are better but have a 7-8 month waiting period). The new platform is supposed to have overcome the problems..
Old 8th October 2007, 08:33   #88
BHPian

Looks like the Mercs' saving grace is driving pleasure, and driving pleasure alone. Lacking in reliability and practicality is not becoming of a car so respected and priced.
Old 13th November 2007, 16:02   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Taxi drivers in Germany insist that there is no workhorse like a Mercedes-Benz. And, in the same breath, add that quality has been on an upswing since 2005. Well, the C220 has recently completed 40,000 kms. And is proving itself to be an absolute workaholic.

Most important upgrade : I switched from the awful Goodyears to a fabulous set of Michelin PP2's (Thanks Iraghava). I didn’t really have a chance to test them until a weekend road trip recently. MAN! What an improvement. The rubber is far more silent, the traction control light flashes much later into a corner and the overall grip levels are "sticky" strong. A+ rating to Michelins.

The 40,000 km has come pretty early, and the car still feels young. Absolutely no rattles, squeaks or any wear that would give the age away. It still feels as solid as day one and feels kinda special each time that you drive it. There is no escape from being in awe at the sheer depth of German engineering. The smaller details amaze while everything else works just the way it is supposed to.

The engine - focal point of the C220 - is par excellence. Been having some "friendly" spins against petrol Mercs, Hondas, Mondeos, RS' and Lauras. Suffice to say that the C hasn’t disappointed. City performance was always good, but the recent highway drive was astounding! On the deserted highway, 5th gear was like an automatic on straights and inclines / declines alike. Its a family rule now to ONLY use the Benz on the highway (safety reasons), and as such....it is munching up a good number of miles. In the last three months itself, the C has been to Goa, Deolali (Nasik) and Lonavla a couple of times. . The suspension maintains it harsh ride quality (at low speeds) as well as splendid grip levels. Above 60 kph, ride quality is not a bother and the suspension simply eats up the worst of potholes. In the city, it is a pain over rough patches (especially when unladen).

Service costs:

2nd Service @ 20,000 kms : Rs. 23,648 (October 2006)

3rd Service @ 30,000 kms : Rs. 27,572. (June 2007)

Brake pad change : Rs. 19,000.

Problems:.

Frankly, I am extremely happy with the overall reliability the 220 has shown. In 40,000 kms, the only “expensive” replacement was the air-con compressor. And that was taken care off under warranty. Parts still remain killer expensive though. A damaged alloy wheel cost Rs. 27xxx (God bless insurance).

1. Front bumper skirts are placed too low and frequently scrape against tarmac. Especially on the less-than-perfect hill station roads. A significant amount of paint has chipped off and a bumper repaint looks inevitable.

2. Of late, there seems to be a new problem with the seat belt sensor. The OBC either doesn’t recognize that the seat belt is buckled in, or gives a "SRS Malfunction warning". Switching off and restarting the car solves it, albeit temporarily.

3. The malfunctioning turn signal light (on the left mirror) seems to be a design defect!! Car has been to Auto Hangar thrice already for repairs, but the light malfunctions in about 2 - 3 months from the visit.

After-sales:

Auto Hangar continues to impress with exemplary levels of service. No complaints at all (despite being a pretty demanding customer). However, my warranty has now expired. Hope there ain't any 6 figure bills coming any time soon.

Next up?:

- A Pete’s power box?
- Detailing for the exterior and interior.

My first impressions remain : The 220 has turned out be a perfect sedan for personal use in India. Here is to the next 40,000 kms of hard driving!

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2007 at 16:07.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:31   #90
BHPian

GTO, Great report here.

I maybe a bit naive, but I am a prospective new C CDI220 buyer and would like to know answers to some (silly) questions.

1) How is the vibration level due to the diesel engine?
2) What about the smoke emission?
3) Any noticeable engine noise?

Thanks

Most Viewed