Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 09:01   #196
Senior - BHPian

Well, I'll be damned.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I come across something like that. Learn a new thing in this place nearly every day.

Thanks!
Old 11th October 2009, 17:06   #197
BHPian

I've looked at the problems reported by GTO for this car, though he feels it's not a problematic car, I've noticed quite a few things went wrong from 10 K kms onwards.
Is it just my impression that there is no such thing as German reliability anymore? I mean, on my Baleno (touch wood) I have had zilch replacements or repairs of anything for 43000 kms.
Old 11th October 2009, 17:56   #198
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Filcord, this car has proven way more reliable than my previous (petrol) Merc. Yet, it doesn't quite have the durability of parts that I would expect from a Mercedes. Gone are the days when Mercs would work day after day, despite the abuse you throw at them.

This thread has a fantastic discussion on the complex germans.
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:52   #199
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Took the 220 to Goa for the new years. Super behaviour on the highway. 5 years and I still end up impressed with her stability at speed, steering and outstanding braking ability. The 6th gear gives her a fantastic range on one tank (750+ kms).....still had over a quarter tank left after reaching goa.

Just one problem though : Part durability (again!!). As I drive into Goa, the air-con conks off. Sure, it's blowing air just fine but ZERO cooling. Tried several shortfixes over the next couple of days, but of no avail. While driving around in Goa wasn't a problem, it was pretty uncomfortable on the drive back to Mumbai yesterday. 600 kms in 34 - 36 degree heat! All 4 of us in the car were red-faced, and had severe headaches, upon reaching home.

I'm told that its most probably the air-con evaporator and that the Mercs require a new one every 2 years. I say! The last time it was changed was at 40,xxx kms in 2007. I have two questions for Mercedes:

- Your authorised workshops know that the evaporators of the C / E / S class fail every 2 years. I'm pretty sure you do too?

- Why aren't you doing anything about it? Are your parts engineered to fail every two years? You know what was a humbling moment? I'm waiting at a junction in Kolhapur and a 3 member family rolls up in a Tata Nano. With a working air-conditioner. In that sweltering heat, no prizes for guessing which car I'd rather have jumped in.

Till date, I've had my air-con compressor + evaporator + some valve changed. They were all under warranty, but why did they fail in the first place? For all the gizmos, german engineering and "engineered like no other car in the world" marketing jazz, the most basic function of a car is to take one from point A to point B. In reasonable comfort. What's the point of a teutonic build when something as basic as an air-con failed - FOR THE THIRD TIME - on an extremely hot day, on what is seemingly a simple drive.

Have you accepted failure, Mercedes?

P.S. : Is there anyone who doubts why I'm an open fan of Toyota & Honda? The Accord & Fortuner are the only super-reliable hassle-free alternatives I can think of today. Not that I'm looking to change. But if I was in the market for a luxo-car today............

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2010 at 17:54.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:53   #200
Team-BHP Support

How can such a part fail frequently and why does it fail? Does it spring up a leak?
Old 4th January 2010, 01:03   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How can such a part fail frequently and why does it fail? Does it spring up a leak?
It happens.
We have spent close to 15% of our E270s OTR cost just maintaining it over the last 5 years, and I am still not happy.
Why?
It rattles a lot, and just doesnt seem to inspire the confidence in me, which a more driven and more abused fiesta does.
And guess what?
Our merc is apparently one of the more reliable ones according to our very talkative driver.
However, I have lost respect for the Mercedes brand, and do not see our family buying one till serious improvements can be seen in the new E class.
Old 4th January 2010, 01:43   #202
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just one problem though : Part durability (again!!). As I drive into Goa, the air-con conks off. Sure, it's blowing air just fine but ZERO cooling. Tried several shortfixes over the next couple of days, but of no avail. While driving around in Goa wasn't a problem, it was pretty uncomfortable on the drive back to Mumbai yesterday. 600 kms in 34 - 36 degree heat! All 4 of us in the car were red-faced, and had severe headaches, upon reaching home.

Have you accepted failure, Mercedes?
Oh! Sad. I hope you've written to them and AH.
Old 4th January 2010, 03:25   #203
Senior - BHPian

AC is always been a weak point in Mercs. They are really designed for the German climate where AC usage is quite low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It happens.
We have spent close to 15% of our E270s OTR cost just maintaining it over the last 5 years, and I am still not happy.
Why?
It rattles a lot, and just doesnt seem to inspire the confidence in me, which a more driven and more abused fiesta does.
And guess what?
Our merc is apparently one of the more reliable ones according to our very talkative driver.
However, I have lost respect for the Mercedes brand, and do not see our family buying one till serious improvements can be seen in the new E class.
Lambo, how about some more detail in a dedicated thread. Should be good info for many pontential pre owned buyers.
Old 4th January 2010, 04:13   #204
BHPian

quite contrary to my belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. : Is there anyone who doubts why I'm an open fan of Toyota & Honda? The Accord & Fortuner are the only super-reliable hassle-free alternatives I can think of today. Not that I'm looking to change. But if I was in the market for a luxo-car today............
Oh I have just finished reading your thread and your experiences were quite contrary to my belief due to the fact that I had been eyeing the Merc C Class (after my Innova gets old and sold).

But now I feel I should rather focus on BMW 3 Series (not even VW).
Old 4th January 2010, 06:56   #205
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
AC is always been a weak point in Mercs. They are really designed for the German climate where AC usage is quite low.
- MB's AC's are designed for German weather, hence fail in India.
- MB's Suspensions are designed for Autobahns, hence they fail in India.
- MB's Fuel Pumps are designed for German fuel, hence they fail in India.

They should either design for the place they are selling the car or stop selling it in that place.

Anyway, I absolutely don't believe the fact that AC fails because it's designed for German weather.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:19   #206
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Will ask once I have the complete diagnosis report, Jaggu. The problem is : Frequent failure, big $$$ and 2 - 3 days for such jobs (car off the road). Very inconvenient, especially when parts fail on long road trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It happens.
We have spent close to 15% of our E270s OTR cost just maintaining it over the last 5 years,
I'm probably in the same % ballpark.

Quote:
I disagree with this one. My 220 behaves exactly as it did on day one of ownership. Body feels tight, zero rattles, superb acceleration, braking, handling. I'd say the car ages extremely well. Save for the part failures, of course.

Quote:
and do not see our family buying one till serious improvements can be seen in the new E class.
Me neither. I'm going to hold on to this one as there is too much to lose in depreciation. Plus, it was a replacement vehicle and net net, I'm in the positive WRT calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Oh! Sad. I hope you've written to them and AH.
What's the point? I do intend to bring this to AH / Mercs notice. But the car is onto its 5th year and thus, warranty repairs are out of the question. I'm going to send her over to an independent garage for repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I don't buy that, Mpower. If you sell your car here, make sure it performs just as well. Also, I've seen harsher driving conditions (road + weather) in a place like Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
I had been eyeing the Merc C Class (after my Innova gets old and sold).
A Fortuner would be the perfect upgrade to a highway warrior like you, tirthankar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
- MB's AC's are designed for German weather, hence fail in India.
- MB's Suspensions are designed for Autobahns, hence they fail in India.
- MB's Fuel Pumps are designed for German fuel, hence they fail in India.

They should either design for the place they are selling the car or stop selling it in that place.

Anyway, I absolutely don't believe the fact that AC fails because it's designed for German weather.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:47   #207
Team-BHP Support

I do not buy this India summer argument. There are places in the west(florida, california etc.,) where AC usage is 100%. Do mercs keep failing there also.
Its a simple case of lack of QC. Basically engineer parts to last the time of warranty, after warranty customer pays, so no loss to company also.
A lot of companies have started using sub standard parts as an excuse for cost cutting, and it seems merc is one of them!
Old 4th January 2010, 11:54   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I do not buy this India summer argument. There are places in the west(florida, california etc.,) where AC usage is 100%. Do mercs keep failing there also.
Its a simple case of lack of QC. Basically engineer parts to last the time of warranty, after warranty customer pays, so no loss to company also.
A lot of companies have started using sub standard parts as an excuse for cost cutting, and it seems merc is one of them!
Yes, its just a case of the traditional over-engineering being ditched for a lower price tag. And ironically enough, the Cs prices are rising. Wonder if this bad QC has been carried over to the new C.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:02   #209
Senior - BHPian

MB is taking Indian consumer for a royal ride and very few are complaining. My innova has run 58k and I have changed the front pads, and one bulb in the rear center stop light in tailgate so far. She runs on factory battery and AC charge

Last edited by canonball : 4th January 2010 at 12:03.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:07   #210
Team-BHP Support

Even i dont agree to Indian conditions, these cars are sold in other countries with worse conditions, then why should it fail in India? Moreover aren't they beefed up and proper test done before being launched in India?

This is absolutely ridiculous way of milking the customer if you ask me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks