Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 00:52   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes C220 20,000kms Report. EDIT : Now 60,000 kms update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
BTW, I think the best upgrade for you could be the upcoming new 3 series (with BSI package).
I think he would love the F10, ...or may be not, he is having a blast with the everyday civic...

Quote:
I really would not recommend you going a pre owned way with 'expensive to maintain' cars.
despite the fact that the germans are expensive to maintain, the depreciation hit they take in the first three years itself, make them an ideal choice in the pre-owned market.. I mean how about a 2008 pre-owned A4 3.2 (retail was around 47) with less than 30 k on the clock for 16-18 lacs .. Or a 2008 Montero (I know its not german but definitely expensive to maintain) for 18-20 lacs... Time to rethink.. I'd any day pic these over a new 3..and darn goes the fuel cost, at last its our only passion... or mine atleast (only passion I mean)..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 9th November 2011 at 00:59.
Old 26th June 2012, 14:43   #302
BHPian

Re: Mercedes C220 20,000kms Report. EDIT : Now 60,000 kms update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I think he would love the F10, ...or may be not, he is having a blast with the everyday civic...

despite the fact that the germans are expensive to maintain, the depreciation hit they take in the first three years itself, make them an ideal choice in the pre-owned market.. I mean how about a 2008 pre-owned A4 3.2 (retail was around 47) with less than 30 k on the clock for 16-18 lacs .. Or a 2008 Montero (I know its not german but definitely expensive to maintain) for 18-20 lacs... Time to rethink.. I'd any day pic these over a new 3..and darn goes the fuel cost, at last its our only passion... or mine atleast (only passion I mean)..

Gaurav..you are right.

Pre-owned Mercedes or even BMW 320 D are actually value for money; provided the previous owners have really taken care of cars. Among the Mercedes the c220 with manual transmission ( i recall in 2006-2008) are fun to drive cars and have lesser amount of maintenance too.

It all depends on the fact that you buy a Mercedes from someone who really loves cars and have thus maintained it well. A pre-owned c220 may cost around 10-15 L now, but if its a well maintained one, it is definitely worth every penny.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:12   #303
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes C220 Review | EDIT: Sold after 9 years and 1.05 lakh km

If you get a midlife health checkup, first thing the doctor will do is put you on the weighing scale. I put the Benz through the same check yesterday

Mercedes C220 Review | EDIT: Sold after 9 years and 1.05 lakh km-20121021-16.43.56-custom.jpg

Tipped the scales @ 1,610 kilos. When she left the factory, her weight was 1,485 kg. Guess it's the fuel, fluids, luggage and other items that made up the balance 125 kg.

I just returned from a quick 500 km road trip. The odometer is nearing 6 digits and the car is now inching toward the 8 year mark, hence an update is necessary:

- Pleasantly surprised with the reliability! The car has been working without any complaint. I'm inclined to believe that the quality of replacement parts is better than what the factory used. Example : Original engine mounts were shot at 40K kms. The replacement set is running fine at over 50K. Likewise for the front dampers.

- 7+ years up and not a squeak or rattle on the inside. On the move, she simply doesn't feel like a 90,000 kms car at all.

- Everything works on the inside : there are no malfunctions. The audio, climate control, power windows, folding ORVMs, sunroof etc. function just perfectly. I like how she has been maintained. The smallest issue is attended to immediately.

- A couple of parts show their age : The gear knob has completely worn off and looks ugly. One of the ORVM glasses has become dark yellow. The driver's side power window switch comes off if you pull it even a little hard. The sunfilm has an awful number of scratches. So much for vkool's "scratchless" guarantee. While a replacement is due, I'm holding on till the Mumbai cops cool down on their anti-film stance.

- The car looks great on the outside. Except for a couple of minor dings & scratches, she looks swell. The original paint is holding up good and there is zero rust.

- Interiors also look & feel nice. Credit to the Rhythm & Rhyme detailing sessions. The car doesn't feel "old" at all. I'm sending her for a detailing job later this month.

- The seats aren't as hard as before. They've become softer, especially the driver's seat. The steering leather has also become buttery smooth with use and the wheel has developed some play too. She feels like a well worn shoe now.

- After using hard performance tyres for so long, I switched to soft Yokohama db decibels. Ride quality is noticeably softer than on the Eagle F1s & Michelin PP2s. The car is still too stiff over sharp bumps and large potholes though. This isn't what I'd call a comfortable suspension at all. The soft Yokohamas have just made it more pliant.

- Air-con is freezing! The cooling performance with the after-market evaporator & compressor is way superior to factory components. Through the entire road-trip, I had to frequently dial down the blower and crank up the temperature.

Came back alone as my folks opted to stay at Deolali for a couple of weeks. With Moby playing in the background and the highway completely empty on a Sunday afternoon, it was just me & the car spending some quality time together. The driving experience is still the highlight of the Benz; the last fast car I drove on this route is the new 3 series, and the C220's suspension just blows the BMW away in terms of that planted feel & overall dynamics. The rear end, especially, is so much more sorted. Grip levels are tremendous, the steering just perfectly weighted (though it remains very heavy in the city) and the brakes most confidence inspiring. The stability is mind-blowing, with the ol' girl never letting you feel what speeds you are doing (until you look at the speedo). I had a blast pushing her down the awesome Kasara ghat section. It's amazing how you get to know a car after years behind the wheel. I could predict the exact grip levels, including where she'll begin to lose it.

The C220 scores in one critical area over the current breed of German machinery : That 6-speed manual gearbox . What simple joy...in this complicated time of dual-clutch units & 8 speed gearboxes. Nothing beats a short-throw 6-speed manual for driving pleasure. Nothing.

Engine & turbo health seem perfect. That's probably down to the religious Mobil 1 oil changes at 10,000 kms exact and one minute idling before / after each drive. Low-end throttle response is crisp with zero lag, the motor remains very free-revving and power delivery is similar to when she was new. Importantly, zilch smoking on the outside. She used up ~35 liters of diesel on the 500 km round trip.

I think she's going to be around till the 10 year mark. Now, it's like using her for free as resale value becomes relatively stagnant between the 7 - 10 year mark.

The better you maintain a car, the longer you will keep her, and the happier she'll make you feel. I've driven some other Mercs with lesser mileage and they didn't drive as well. Remember, a buck spent on good maintenance will save you 2 in the long run!

Just have my fingers crossed on the electronics and hope there aren't too many failures in the coming months.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:30   #304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So much for vkool's "scratchless" guarantee. While a replacement is due, I'm holding on till the Mumbai cops cool down on their anti-film stance.

I'm sending her for a detailing job later this month.

the last fast car I drove on this route is the new 3 series, and the C220's suspension just blows the BMW away in terms of that planted feel & overall dynamics.
Its the same with my 3, the Vkools are already scratched up. But then thats because of the car and not the film. Possibly a similar issue with the Merc if the scratches are vertical.

Don't send her anywhere, call Kamyo home. Try them this time

The F30 wasn't the most stable nor was the steering great. But it did have quite a bit of outright grip. Especially down Kasara Out of curiosity, did the C manage similar speeds?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:38   #305
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2012 at 09:45.
drbones is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:50   #306
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its the same with my 3, the Vkools are already scratched up. But then thats because of the car and not the film. Possibly a similar issue with the Merc if the scratches are vertical.
Yep, the scratches are indeed vertical. But how else will the sunfilm scratch? Basically, what makes V-kool any different from other sunfilms in this area?

Quote:
Don't send her anywhere, call Kamyo home. Try them this time
Will consider, thanks.

Quote:
The F30 wasn't the most stable nor was the steering great.
The F30's steering was still very direct and grip levels A+. But I didn't like that soft rear or the body roll.
Old 23rd October 2012, 13:09   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm inclined to believe that the quality of replacement parts is better than what the factory used. Example : Original engine mounts were shot at 40K kms. The replacement set is running fine at over 50K. Likewise for the front dampers.
How come a after market part better than a OE part. Aren't it suppose to be that the OE is best for a car when it comes to replacing critical components like mounts etc ? Is this specific only to Merc's ?
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:06   #308
BHPian

Quote:

- Pleasantly surprised with the reliability! The car has been working without any complaint. I'm inclined to believe that the quality of replacement parts is better than what the factory used. Example : Original engine mounts were shot at 40K kms. The replacement set is running fine at over 50K. Likewise for the front dampers.
GTO, how does MB's reliability compare to other Germans? We have zeroed in on the following cars.

1. MB C 220CDI
2. BMW 320d
3. Audi A4 2.0 TDI
4. VW Passat 2.0 TDI

Will compromise on snob value, features and/or engine for reliability. I really wish Lexus could've opened shop sooner.
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:13   #309
BANNED

Quote:
If you get a midlife health checkup, first thing the doctor will do is put you on the weighing scale. I put the Benz through the same check yesterday

Attachment 1003562

The better you maintain a car, the longer you will keep her, and the happier she'll make you feel. I've driven some other Mercs with lesser mileage and they didn't drive as well. Remember, a buck spent on good maintenance will save you 2 in the long run!

Just have my fingers crossed on the electronics and hope there aren't too many failures in the coming months.
The Merc always shouts out Top Class Engineering - Period.

I recently Refreshed ( complete Tinkering and Re-paint + Detailing ) a beat down C-200 Kompressor , had it for a week and was amazed by the way it behaves inspite of its age and kms clocked.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes C220 Review | EDIT: Sold after 9 years and 1.05 lakh km-img_1249.jpg  

Mercedes C220 Review | EDIT: Sold after 9 years and 1.05 lakh km-img_1239.jpg  

Mercedes C220 Review | EDIT: Sold after 9 years and 1.05 lakh km-img_1250.jpg  

Mercedes C220 Review | EDIT: Sold after 9 years and 1.05 lakh km-img_1251.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 23rd October 2012 at 22:15.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:26   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The Merc always shouts out Top Class Engineering - Period.

I recently Refreshed ( complete Tinkering and Re-paint + Detailing ) a beat down C-200 Kompressor , had it for a week and was amazed by the way it behaves inspite of its age and kms clocked.
Pavan.,

Amazing work ! It looks so good. I think, the older version of Merc , especially the 2004-2006 c class, looked more fetching than the new generation merc. Fabulous job pavan,
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:07   #311
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, albeit a little late in the day.
Quote:
Pleasantly surprised with the reliability!
- 7+ years up and not a squeak or rattle on the inside. On the move, she simply doesn't feel like a 90,000 kms car at all.
That's a surprise! Getting better with age! Ageing like old wine?
Quote:
The C220 scores in one critical area over the current breed of German machinery : That 6-speed manual gearbox . What simple joy...in this complicated time of dual-clutch units & 8 speed gearboxes. Nothing beats a short-throw 6-speed manual for driving pleasure. Nothing.
Agreed 100%. Nothing beats a good 6 speed manual. Am enjoying one!
Quote:
Engine & turbo health seem perfect. That's probably down to the religious Mobil 1 oil changes at 10,000 kms exact and one minute idling before / after each drive.
Exactly what I follow, even in the petrol's. Hope it helps in the long run.

Wishing you years with it without any further issues.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:07   #312
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not a positive update on the car.

The driver appears to have hit something hard. On a recent trip to Pawna, we found the front suspension (especially the right hand side) to be extremely clunky. The steering is off-center and tilting to the right as well (the type that happens after a massive impact). Car will be going into the workshop soon. Good time to have the entire suspension overhauled as it's been 50,000 kms since the last work.

The ESP is also acting funny. Sometimes, and entirely out of the blue, the ESP light will keep flickering. The "ESP Malfunction" warning shows up on the MID, although an engine restart appears to make it go away. Mpower said this might be due to a sensor going bad.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:53   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The driver appears to have hit something hard. On a recent trip to Pawna, we found the front suspension (especially the right hand side) to be extremely clunky. The steering is off-center and tilting to the right as well (the type that happens after a massive impact)..
Looks like he went over a deep/large pothole at a very high speed. Get the right front alloy wheel checked too.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 09:20   #314
BHPian

Quote:

The driver appears to have hit something hard. On a recent trip to Pawna, we found the front suspension (especially the right hand side) to be extremely clunky. The steering is off-center and tilting to the right as well (the type that happens after a massive impact). Car will be going into the workshop soon. Good time to have the entire suspension overhauled as it's been 50,000 kms since the last work.

The ESP is also acting funny. Sometimes, and entirely out of the blue, the ESP light will keep flickering. The "ESP Malfunction" warning shows up on the MID, although an engine restart appears to make it go away. Mpower said this might be due to a sensor going bad.
Any update on this GTO - hope all well with the car. Just wondering how much was the damage - given age of the car, hope it was all ok?
Old 7th May 2013, 09:43   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How is the car doing now? Are you still using the A.S.S? Or do you get the repairs and service done else where ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks