Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 00:17   #166
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't know yet, Sahil. I haven't even gotten to the estimate stage yet. I will update this thread (or create a new one) with my service experience.
Old 16th February 2009, 01:54   #167
BHPian

GTO though it will help to get an independent guy to fix her at perhaps a cheaper price that wont help an on going issue of basic build quality though. Are you planning on keeping her longer after fixing immediate issues?
Old 16th February 2009, 12:02   #168
BHPian

[quote=sanjayatarizona;1167144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post

Not sure about Mercs performance in Europe, but Autobild, Germany has rated Merc and also for that matter BMW quite some way down the charts.
These are for vehicles between 3 and 7 years old, based on 7 criteria:
a customer satisfaction survey; Manufacturer recalls; TÜV reports; a vehicle durability test; AutoBild's "trouble mailbox"; a garage test; and Warranty policy terms & conditions.

The Japs still rule.

Ranking:
Toyota
Honda & Mazda
Opel
Hyundai
Mitsubishi
Audi, Mercedes & Nissan
BMW & Volvo
Suzuki
Skoda & Smart
Kia & Volkswagen
Seat
Ford
Fiat
Citroen & Renault
Peugeot

SOURCE:AUTOBILD

So, according to list, Merce scores higher than BMW!!!

By the way, where is General Motors?
Not even considered for listing?

Last edited by loving_alaap : 16th February 2009 at 12:03.
Old 16th February 2009, 18:08   #169
Senior - BHPian

Isn't Opel a GM marque?
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:04   #170
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*: Car came back on saturday and the work has been performed to my satisfaction. Thanks to Scooby for sharing the contact details of Ajay Parekh (Gautam Trading Company : 2362.8820) at Malabar Hill. If initial impressions are anything to go by, I am pretty impressed with Ajays quality of work. The car was ready within a day of my giving the go ahead to his estimate. Only OEM parts used, billing was reasonable (think 35 - 40% of what Auto Hangar charges) and the man really knows his Mercs. I'll have him attend to my car a couple of times more before writing up a detailed review on service quality. But again, the initial experience has been fantastic.

Considering that this car was a replacement to the C180, and that it has cost me a marginal amount, I have decided to hang on to her. And see how things pan out. Period. Hopefully, the worst has been left behind in '08 and the failure rate will be acceptable henceforth. On the other hand, if things continue to go downhill over the next 12 months, I'll put her on the block.

Will keep updating this thread.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:12   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad things worked out as planned. Would you discontinue auto hanger for future servicing too?

Does he handle BMW's too, any idea if his knowledge of them is as good as his Mercs?
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:31   #172
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Would you discontinue auto hanger for future servicing too?

Does he handle BMW's too, any idea if his knowledge of them is as good as his Mercs?
1. Yes. Auto Hangar is too expensive for an out-of-warranty car.

2. There were a coupla BMWs at his workshop. But, why would you want to give him your car when its covered by the BSI?
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:36   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

2. There were a coupla BMWs at his workshop. But, why would you want to give him your car when its covered by the BSI?
No, i defiantly wouldn't but god forbid I have some out of BSI repairs like accidental damage, at least there is some back up in sight.

And also, remember still have one terror machine- C180 residing in Pune. She is sparingly used but I believe she has been contributing to MBIL service centers profits big time. Should send her to him next time, hoping to get rid of before that.

Last edited by Sahil : 23rd February 2009 at 23:41.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2009, 12:33   #174
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
No, i defiantly wouldn't but god forbid I have some out of BSI repairs like accidental damage, at least there is some back up in sight.
Accidental damage = Pervez at Mazda Motors.

Quote:
And also, remember still have one terror machine- C180 residing in Pune.
Terror machine! Fitting term, can't argue with that.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:22   #175
evo
BHPian

A most enlightening thread, its such a wonder that normal people dont know anything about the quality niggles that plague the merc. When I was talking about my Skoda issues then some people told me "Arre, yeh mercedes thodi hai, kuch kuch problem to ho ay ga ha na". If only they knew!
Old 27th May 2009, 11:09   #176
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a far better (read cheaper) ownership experience with Euro cars if you manage to find a good independent. Got the Benz 60,000 kms service done yesterday from Ajay Parekh (Gautam Trading Company, Malabar Hill):

Total cost of service Rs. 12,670 (including 6.5 liters of Mobil 1 + Oil Filter + Diesel Filter + Air filter). The OEM battery packed up and was replaced with an Amaron for about 10,000 odd. I am pretty surprised that the OEM battery lasted 4 years!
Old 27th May 2009, 12:05   #177
Senior - BHPian

I do not know (but do suspect) that manufacturers sell a different quality in main markets (Europe, US) but a different quality here. My brother in UK is planning to buy a Merc next year. He says that his 5-year old Volvo has had hardly a problem except for bulbs conking out after 2 years which cost pound 15 or so. He also says he has zeroed in on the Merc after getting feedback on its UK quality. What goes??
Old 27th May 2009, 12:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I do not know (but do suspect) that manufacturers sell a different quality in main markets (Europe, US) but a different quality here. My brother in UK is planning to buy a Merc next year. He says that his 5-year old Volvo has had hardly a problem except for bulbs conking out after 2 years which cost pound 15 or so. He also says he has zeroed in on the Merc after getting feedback on its UK quality. What goes??
This is not only for cars, but for most products. The costs of service, returns, lawsuits, etc. are so high that they ensure first rate quality. Whether it is Intel, Seagate, VW, Merc, Honda, Samsung, LG, Sony they all follow this policy. All their products (whether IT components, cars, monitors, TVs, ACs, fridges...) which are seconds or thirds are shipped out to India and other non-developed countries. The reduced warranties offered also bear this out. The failure rates are then obviously higher. The Indian customer can rant all he wants, our poor and delay bound judicial system ensures they can get away with anything. And since all follow the same policy, where can we go? Possibly the high rates of taxation also play a part in this.
Old 27th May 2009, 12:28   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's a far better (read cheaper) ownership experience with Euro cars if you manage to find a good independent. Got the Benz 60,000 kms service done yesterday from Ajay Parekh (Gautam Trading Company, Malabar Hill):

Total cost of service Rs. 12,670 (including 6.5 liters of Mobil 1 + Oil Filter + Diesel Filter + Air filter). The OEM battery packed up and was replaced with an Amaron for about 10,000 odd. I am pretty surprised that the OEM battery lasted 4 years!
Thats really good to know GTO as the price look very low.

How much would it have cost you for the same service at the dealership?
Old 27th May 2009, 13:04   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
This is not only for cars, but for most products. The costs of service, returns, lawsuits, etc. are so high that they ensure first rate quality. Whether it is Intel, Seagate, VW, Merc, Honda, Samsung, LG, Sony they all follow this policy. All their products (whether IT components, cars, monitors, TVs, ACs, fridges...) which are seconds or thirds are shipped out to India and other non-developed countries. The reduced warranties offered also bear this out. The failure rates are then obviously higher. The Indian customer can rant all he wants, our poor and delay bound judicial system ensures they can get away with anything. And since all follow the same policy, where can we go? Possibly the high rates of taxation also play a part in this.
I beg to differ. I work for one of those companies. A reason for reduced warranties are

1: Degraded environment - extra heat and dust means increased chance of failure
2: competition does not offer this so why put one's head on the block. Only now are car manufacturer's going beyond the 1 year mark
I agree on the taxation part of things as a percentage of the product cost is to cover warranty

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks