Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 13:10   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Again! you sure have nerves of steel bro,
this new year hasn't been kind on your Car's a/c, its the second time, (the goa drive back and now) phew!

i know you don't change cars often but just maybe the upcoming 5 series is calling you

the whole TBHP bets on it.

Quote:
Usually A/C compressors etc are upsized and ruggedized for tropical markets by many OEMs. Even suspensions/GC is modified for India along with engine tuning for local fuel. Never heard of Merc doing anything like that.
This will be the ideal case but then is this a QA issue or a bad vendor?
Old 19th January 2010, 18:15   #227
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
this new year hasn't been kind on your Car's a/c, its the second time, (the goa drive back and now) phew!
Tell me about it. Latest update : Some lousy sensor has conked off. Hard to source in the after-market. No choice but to head to Auto Hangar. This car of mine spends the MOST time off the road. We've driven it once or twice since new years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
the whole TBHP bets on it.
Thanks! Maybe all those bet placers can also get together and contribute to a "small" downpayment?
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:39   #228
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Come to think of it, in the last 12 months, the only two things to go kaput have been the air-con sensor (reported in the post above) and the electronic key. Except for that, its been a trouble-free ride (*GTO touches wood*). The reason I was so damn cheesed off at the air-con giving up was the inopportune timing (new years in goa). Of course, a little over a year back, I've gotten the front suspension + engine mounts changed. In exactly the last 1 year though, the only car related failure was the air-con sensor. Not bad for 60,000 clicks (64,000 odd to be precise).

Drove to Mumbai this morning from Nasik. For those not in the know, the Mumbai-Nasik highway is amongst the BEST drives you can have close to town. It's so much more fun than the boring Mumbai-Pune expressway. There's long straights, fast curves, ghat sections, slow tight corners et al. Proper petrolhead stuff. The Nasik highway is now 95% 4 lane (2 lanes on either side) with a divider in between. It's only a 12 - 15 km stretch after the Bhiwandi bypass to Dhingra hotel that's the ol' single lane highway (but being upgraded as I type).

So, dropped Mom and Dad to Devlali over the weekend and had to be back at work today. Left alone at 0445 this morning for what was the most enjoyable drives I've had in a long time. Just me, the car, the iPod and an empty well-paved highway. It was pitch dark at that time (obviously) with any vehicles on the road. All for the better, wot?

The 220 behaved absolutely immaculately!! I am always left amazed at her high speed poise, the way that rear end stays tidy even over uneven surfaces. The heavy steering is sheer nirvana at speed. Michelin PP2s are now nearly 30K worn in, so she slides a tad earlier than original. That's all the more fun if you ask me. Grip levels from the chassis are impressive even with these tyres, and the traction control keeps you in check. What amazes me most is how slowly she ages. The engine, gearbox, body (zero rattle or squeak) and overall road behaviour remain EXACTLY as at the time that she was new. No, I'm not exaggerating. The torque of the 2.2 is addictive, and you rarely need a downshift under most driving conditions. It was a pretty spirited drive home today. 380 kms round trip and went for a fill up. A thousand bucks of diesel is all her appetite allowed (needle was a tad above the 1/2 mark at the end of the trip). Hows that for a long highway range (tank capacity is 65 L).

And no, you simply cannot match the feel of a pure 6 speed manual in an automatic E350 or a 530d. Due respect to them, but I prefer mine the traditional way. To me, the C220 6 speed remains substantially more fun to drive. And the manual tranny is one of the main reasons why I'm retaining her (over an upgrade to an auto german).

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2010 at 16:43.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:25   #229
BHPian

@ GTO- I also have a black 2005 C220 (mine is auto) and have faced similar issues. I have replaced the front suspension, brake pads, engine mountings and turbo hose pipe and the latest being an ESP malfunction (I am not able to turn off ESP and I can see the malfunction on the display).
PS: It has only done 38000 kms
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:58   #230
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angad_kalra View Post
I have replaced the front suspension, brake pads, engine mountings and turbo hose pipe
Holy cow, your replacement list is identical to mine! Save for....

Quote:
and the latest being an ESP malfunction (I am not able to turn off ESP and I can see the malfunction on the display).
Like I said, fingers crossed. Give you a tip : These cars are very complicated, neither do they have the reliability of a Toyota. Best not to fiddle around with the settings. Its been a long time since I last switched off the ESP. After reading your post, I'll leave it as it is

I'm happy with the overall reliability my car has shown over the last 12 months.
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:43   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drove to Mumbai this morning from Nasik. For those not in the know, the Mumbai-Nasik highway is amongst the BEST drives you can have close to town. It's so much more fun than the boring Mumbai-Pune expressway. There's long straights, fast curves, ghat sections, slow tight corners et al. Proper petrolhead stuff. The Nasik highway is now 95% 4 lane (2 lanes on either side) with a divider in between. It's only a 12 - 15 km stretch after the Bhiwandi bypass to Dhingra hotel that's the ol' single lane highway (but being upgraded as I type).

I agree to that.Its a beautiful highway to drive on and it really keeps you involved.Its more than 2 years since they are building it and now as you say its almost done.You can try sai dhaba at igatpuri if you like non-veg food.Its amazing.
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:49   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so she slides a tad earlier than original. That's all the more fun if you ask me.
Racing Slicks

Quote:
And no, you simply cannot match the feel of a pure 6 speed manual in an automatic E350 or a 530d. Due respect to them, but I prefer mine the traditional way. To me, the C220 6 speed remains substantially more fun to drive. And the manual tranny is one of the main reasons why I'm retaining her (over an upgrade to an auto german).
Do all the ~50L cars come sans a manual?
good to see the 220 without its funny acts

^^OT-do paddle shifters give the fun of a manual
Old 4th March 2010, 01:30   #233
Team-BHP Support

I had bookmarked this thread sometime back - finally had the time to read through all the pages.

@GTO -

You seem to have a lot of patience with this car. How can you be still in love with the Merc, especially after your good reliability experience with the Honda City VTEC?

I guess its probably like how Jerermy Clarkson described an Alfa Romeo. When it starts giving trouble, you'll feel like pulling your hair out. But when everything is working fine, you just can't have enough of it and cannot think of driving anything else.

I can relate to you on some level though. My car is quite reliable, but the idiots at the dealership have been responsible for 4.5 yrs of service misery, 2 complete breakdowns (in the city) because of their silly mistakes & one interior damage. But when I was on the verge of selling my car, I was really teary eyed for a moment - all the memories of my drives flashed through my eyes. It's an inexplicable feeling. Eventually didn't part with her.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:07   #234
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do all the ~50L cars come sans a manual?
Can't think of one manual tranny sedan (except for the Montero SUV). No quick Euro-diesels either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You seem to have a lot of patience with this car. How can you be still in love with the Merc, especially after your good reliability experience with the Honda City VTEC?
Owning three Hondas in the immediate family, and with a 4th to come soon, my respect for the brand + Toyota has grown exponentially. These are cars that are built with precision and just work, work and work some more throughout their lifetime. Quality is of the topmost quality. And complaints are rare, if at all.

The Mercedes, on the other hand:

First 2 years of ownership = Excellent. Minimal issues. Plus, the warranty covered it.

3rd year = Some problems trickled in, but were not so much of a bother. Good will warranty from Merc covered the expensive stuff (e.g. evaporator).

4th year = Terrible. Engine mounts, front suspension, air-con, brake pads (2nd time), turbo pipe, premature clutch failure.....it honestly got me a headache.

5th year = Surprisingly good. With 65,000 kms of hard-driving under her belt, she has only had one car related problem (the air-con sensor mentioned above). And that the plastic key gave up (using the spare for now).

It's a love hate relationship, really. Like dating a model. You enjoy the good stuff, but when tempers rise, all hell breaks loose.

Quote:
My car is quite reliable, but the idiots at the dealership have been responsible for 4.5 yrs of service misery
Get rid of the dealer and find a good independent for your car.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:34   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Mercedes, on the other hand:

First 2 years of ownership = Excellent. Minimal issues. Plus, the warranty covered it.

3rd year = Some problems trickled in, but were not so much of a bother. Good will warranty from Merc covered the expensive stuff (e.g. evaporator).

4th year = Terrible. Engine mounts, front suspension, air-con, brake pads (2nd time), turbo pipe, premature clutch failure.....it honestly got me a headache.

5th year = Surprisingly good. With 65,000 kms of hard-driving under her belt, she has only had one car related problem (the air-con sensor mentioned above). And that the plastic key gave up (using the spare for now).

It's a love hate relationship, really. Like dating a model. You enjoy the good stuff, but when tempers rise, all hell breaks loose.

Get rid of the dealer and find a good independent for your car.
That's exactly how it has been with the W211 as well. Majority of the problems were in the 4th year, including the A.C. conking off twice, and even a problem related to the Turbo, resulting in the car being driven in limp home mode on Pedder Road.
In the 5th year, the car has given zero issues and it is the same in the beginning of the 6th year.
However, some plastic quality, like the headlights, the plastic around the headlight knob, plastic on the inside of the door is surprisingly poor.
The car looks like it has had cheap chinese headlights fitted which have become dull.
Similarly, some of the fittings have a tendency to rattle over bad roads, though the stability of the vehicle on bad roads is much superior to the E60.
However, the rest of the quality is better than exceptional, especially the leather, dash and most impressively, the paint quality.
The bumpers are still scratch free, and the rear bumper was only repainted once when it took a hit (and even then there were no scratches!)

The only one issue we are facing right now is with the exhaust smoke and a few rattles. The car gives out a lot of smoke, and this is something I have seen on some other E Class Diesels.
GTO, do you face a similar issue? I know diesel's tend to give out smoke, but this is another level. If I were to floor the car at a stop light, the cars behind me wouldn't be able to see anything.
Currently using Turbojet Diesel - Could that be a problem?

P.S: Got an independent dealer to service her.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:42   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

that my friend is your problem. dont use fuel with additives in diesels. most commonrails start smoking with the additives. normal diesel is good enough.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:33   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

@akshay - thanks! Now I know what I'm going to do when I come to town next.
Will report the findings in my LTR thread.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:08   #238
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That's exactly how it has been with the W211 as well. Majority of the problems were in the 4th year, including the A.C. conking off twice
I'm being led to believe (from our collective experiences) that Merc parts simply aren't as durable as they used to be (duh!). The major components have a 4 year lifespan at best. Well, looks like I'm all set till the 8th year then

Quote:
The car looks like it has had cheap chinese headlights fitted which have become dull.
I saw that with the older C too. However, my facelift variants headlamps have aged well.

Quote:
Similarly, some of the fittings have a tendency to rattle over bad roads
Zero rattle on mine. Period.

Quote:
NEVER use premium diesel in the Euros. Pure regular diesel fuel is the one of choice. Notice emphasis on purity. Visit only a company-owned-company-operated pump.

Quote:
Sweet! How about sharing the contact details here?
Old 11th March 2010, 12:43   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm being led to believe (from our collective experiences) that Merc parts simply aren't as durable as they used to be (duh!). The major components have a 4 year lifespan at best. Well, looks like I'm all set till the 8th year then

Haha, It is the same with us I guess.
As of right now, there are only small niggling issues like the rattles, and some poor quality fittings, apart from the smoke.
Actually, the only recurring issue being faced with us is that the horn keeps on conking off. Got another horn - not MB - fitted, but it just doesn't sound the same.

NEVER use premium diesel in the Euros. Pure regular diesel fuel is the one of choice. Notice emphasis on purity. Visit only a company-owned-company-operated pump.

I am planning on trying this once I am back for a longer time in May, as I am only in town for a week.
Thing is we use Turbo-jet on all our cars - Our petrol pump is COCO, but doesn't have regular diesel, looking out for another one with regular diesel as we would prefer to open an account rather than paying cash everytime.
Any suggestions near Colaba?

Sweet! How about sharing the contact details here?

Sure,
It is Hari Automobiles - It looks like a shady road side shop, and there have been times when the mechanics have taken short cuts on ours and others cars, but at the moment, we are very happy with their quality of work.
He definitely tries his best to do the best job possible for the best price.
Our main problem is that there is no dealership close by for many of our personal and office cars, so we prefer sending it to him.
Some tips when sending to him -
- Make sure the replaced part is given back to you
- Take a quick TD.
If there is any problems with the install, he is very approachable and will repair/replace the part. Also, he believes in repairing over replacing (guess that's what consumers want), so if you want to replace anything, just tell him and it will be done. He did a repaint and repair job on the E's rear bumper and it is looking better than the one BMW did on the E60's bonnet when a small stone dented it.
Also, according to our drivers who go to give the cars to him, there are times Merc dealers send cars to him if they can't solve a problem. Apparently, they have seen this happen.

His contact number is - +91-9821154697
He has workshops in Chembur and Worli, with the one in Chembur meant for more complicated work.
The one in Worli is where we get our regular services, and small work done.
Congrats on the Civic btw.
Hope to see updates soon!
Your thread inspired me to have a look at used germans, and I was surprised to see almost new E60s and W211s for 30-35L on carwale! Some with less than 10,000kms!
Planning on putting up a comparo between the W211 and E60 to help out buyers inspired from your Civic thread.
Also need to update the W211's LTR thread.
Old 11th March 2010, 19:38   #240
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thing is we use Turbo-jet on all our cars - Our petrol pump is COCO, but doesn't have regular diesel, looking out for another one with regular diesel as we would prefer to open an account rather than paying cash everytime.
I fill up regular diesel at the pump opposite Siddhi Vinayak Temple (when driving North). IIRC, the pump opposite RTI (West hand side of Peddar Road) also has regular diesel, with a friendly ol' manager to boot!

Quote:
It looks like a shady road side shop
Quote:
there have been times when the mechanics have taken short cuts on ours and others cars
Quote:
Make sure the replaced part is given back to you
Quote:
His contact number is - +91-9821154697
Thanks. But you sure about this recommendation?

Quote:
Your thread inspired me to have a look at used germans, and I was surprised to see almost new E60s and W211s for 30-35L on carwale! Some with less than 10,000kms!
Pre-worshipped rocks!

Quote:
Planning on putting up a comparo between the W211 and E60 to help out buyers inspired from your Civic thread.
Super. Look forward to the comparo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks