Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 11:35   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I fill up regular diesel at the pump opposite Siddhi Vinayak Temple (when driving North). IIRC, the pump opposite RTI (West hand side of Peddar Road) also has regular diesel, with a friendly ol' manager to boot!

Guess I am going to have to speak to a few friends who stay nearby for referencing. Pedder Road is too far!

Thanks. But you sure about this recommendation?

Yes, I am. The owner is a very knowledgeable person, and we generally speak to him and run everything by him when we get our cars serviced/repaired. We do not interact with the mechanics as such.
What I posted is something that holds good for all service stations that I have experienced till date, and this is no different. However, the quality of work is excellent, and if you are not happy, they will do it again.
They have actually been able to solve issues with would have costed a bomb at an A.S.S. for much lower prices and simpler solutions.
However, just some advice in addition to what I said - do try him out with a smaller car before to see how you like him. We used to send our Lancer, Palio, and such cars when we had them. Now we send him our Fiesta and W211.

Pre-worshipped rocks!

Yes, it does! Imagine a virgin 2009/2008 S Class for the price of a top of the line E! Guess the prices only get better with a proper search.

Super. Look forward to the comparo.
Please see my replies in bold. Comparo coming up soon, with some surprising results too.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:35   #242
BHPian

Dreams Crashed and Burned

sigh.........
I was really looking forward to buying a used C220 CDI, but after reading about the amount of hassles its been giving you, I think I'm going to stay away from Mercedes.
Far Far Away.
Well I guess its time for me to look at used 320d's or a used new C220 CDI(will wait a bit before upgrading, so they can drop into my price range), but I dont know if these cars will be much more reliable than yours.
Cost of ownership with these Germans are just too high.
I guess I'm going to happily stick to my Civic.
BHPians are completely correct when they say Honda and Toyota have done a fantastic job with making reliable cars.
Here's hoping Lexus or Acura make an entry soon.
Old 12th July 2010, 16:13   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
sigh.........
I was really looking forward to buying a used C220 CDI, but after reading about the amount of hassles its been giving you, I think I'm going to stay away from Mercedes.
Far Far Away.
If you think this is scary then you read about the C180 aka terror machine
Old 13th July 2010, 14:01   #244
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was really looking forward to buying a used C220 CDI...I guess I'm going to happily stick to my Civic.
As an owner of either car, I can safely comment on the pros & cons.

Upgrading from a Civic to a C220 wouldn't be an upgrade at all. The Civic has substantially roomier interiors, way better ride quality within the city and expectedly stellar reliability. The Civic also accelerates as quickly as the C220, and will cost 1/10th to maintain. The C220 on the other hand is safer, has awesome dynamics, strong mid-range and the badge.

Would I buy a new C220 today? No. Would I buy a Civic again? Yes.

To confuse you a little more, am I happy with my C220? Yes. Except for the 4th year of ownership which had its share of nuisances, the first three years and the 5th onward period have been great. Should you sell your Civic & buy a C220? Only if you're out of your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
aka terror machine
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 15:54   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Upgrading from a Civic to a C220 wouldn't be an upgrade at all. Should you sell your Civic & buy a C220? Only if you're out of your mind.
That's quite a revelation.

Is this only for the particular models mentioned (C220 & Civic) or for the entire class (4.6 metre sedans)? I was under the impression that old gen German lux models like C Class/3 Series/A4 would still be better than new gen Japs (Corolla/Civic/New Lancer).

I guess the Japs are getting closer to the Germans
Old 14th July 2010, 10:56   #246
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
That's quite a revelation.

Is this only for the particular models mentioned (C220 & Civic) or for the entire class (4.6 metre sedans)? I was under the impression that old gen German lux models like C Class/3 Series/A4 would still be better than new gen Japs (Corolla/Civic/New Lancer).

I guess the Japs are getting closer to the Germans
Smartcat, sit in a 3 series and see for yourself how cramped the interiors are. The new C Class & Audi A4 are better, but only just so. We have to understand that Mercedes, BMW & Audi may be luxury brands, but the C / 3 / A4 are *executive* cars targeted at the self-driven owner in their primary markets. True German luxury only starts with the E / 5 / A6. Anyone who buys a 30 lakh rupee German for luxury is fooling himself. The Superb, Accord & Sonata beat them hollow on comfort.
Old 16th July 2010, 16:42   #247
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
As an owner of either car, I can safely comment on the pros & cons.

Upgrading from a Civic to a C220 wouldn't be an upgrade at all. The Civic has substantially roomier interiors, way better ride quality within the city and expectedly stellar reliability. The Civic also accelerates as quickly as the C220, and will cost 1/10th to maintain. The C220 on the other hand is safer, has awesome dynamics, strong mid-range and the badge.

Would I buy a new C220 today? No. Would I buy a Civic again? Yes.

To confuse you a little more, am I happy with my C220? Yes. Except for the 4th year of ownership which had its share of nuisances, the first three years and the 5th onward period have been great. Should you sell your Civic & buy a C220? Only if you're out of your mind.
Thanks a lot for the advice,and I am VERY VERY happy with the civic. The only reason I ever wanted an expensive German was the street cred and the Badge, and the incorrect assumption that the ride would actually be good enough to justify the ridiculously high costs of ownership, a misconception, I should again thank you for clearing up (I don't mean the ride isn't is amazing, I just meant with respect to cost).
Just a bit of irrational wishful thinking on my part I guess. When it comes to practical everyday driving, the Civic is an excellent car, especially considering the amount of places I would be too scared to take a Merc to, for fear of vandalism, paranoia about where I park it, I would never feel safe giving it to a valet, or my sister (she'd kill me if she read this)......the list goes on.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:46   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a bit of irrational wishful thinking on my part I guess. When it comes to practical everyday driving, the Civic is an excellent car, especially considering the amount of places I would be too scared to take a Merc to, for fear of vandalism, paranoia about where I park it, I would never feel safe giving it to a valet, or my sister (she'd kill me if she read this)......the list goes on.
I have the very same concerns as you, but for my Civic

Cheers
Old 10th September 2010, 14:06   #249
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The damn air-conditioner continues to remain a weak spot with Mercs. Had some air-con cooling issues last week, so sent the car over to Ajay yesterday. Just got to know that the compressor has failed. Cost = About 70,000 (including some related components).

It's bad enough to have parts failing in a so-called premium car, what makes it worse are the mega $$$ bills and part waiting periods (typically 1 - 3 weeks). This will be the third compressor in my car (was replaced once under warranty).

Thanks guys, but I'll stick with my Japanese the next time around. If it wasn't a replacement car from Merc, the C220 would have been on the block by now.

History:
Quote:
Parts Replaced:

• Tyres changed to Michelin PP2s.
• Defective suspension balance rod. Replaced in warranty.
• @ 30,236 kms : Air-con compressor & expansion valve : Under warranty.
• @ 32,000 kms : Brake pads worn out. Rs. 22,030.
• @ 41,425 kms : Replace V-Belt & Bushings. Rs. 9,026. Done alongwith the 4th service.
• @ 42,605 kms : Air-con evaporator. Under goodwill warranty.
• @ 50,000 kms : Replace Intercooler pipe. Wear & tear / Rats damage. About Rs. 12,000.
Feb 2009 : Changed the clutch, engine mounts & front shocks.

Jan 2010 : Air-con sensor conked off. Cost = 20,000. Car off the road = 1 month.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2010 at 14:09.
Old 10th September 2010, 14:37   #250
BANNED

Quote:
The damn air-conditioner continues to remain a weak spot with Mercs. Had some air-con cooling issues last week, so sent the car over to Ajay yesterday. Just got to know that the compressor has failed. Cost = About 70,000 (including some related components).

It's bad enough to have parts failing in a so-called premium car, what makes it worse are the mega $$$ bills and part waiting periods (typically 1 - 3 weeks). This will be the third compressor in my car (was replaced once under warranty).

Thanks guys, but I'll stick with my Japanese the next time around. If it wasn't a replacement car from Merc, the C220 would have been on the block by now.

History:

Feb 2009 : Changed the clutch, engine mounts & front shocks.

Jan 2010 : Air-con sensor conked off. Cost = 20,000. Car off the road = 1 month.
Thats a bad news GTO,Why dont you change the C220 now.September is the right month for purchasing a automobile.You will have lots of offer/discount

BTW how is the new "C" will it have the same kinda problems ? My friend bought a V6 petrol (dont know the exact model) few months back and it cost him 36L i guess.
Old 10th September 2010, 14:52   #251
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Thats a bad news GTO,Why dont you change the C220 now.
I don't believe in selling cars within 5 years of ownership.

Quote:
September is the right month for purchasing a automobile.You will have lots of offer/discount
You think I'd buy new?

Quote:
BTW how is the new "C" will it have the same kinda problems ?
Let his car complete 3 - 4 years, then the fun begins .
Old 10th September 2010, 15:47   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't believe in selling cars within 5 years of ownership.
Aren't the maintainance bills high enough to make the change a good financial choice?
Old 10th September 2010, 16:41   #253
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Aren't the maintainance bills high enough to make the change a good financial choice?
Well, you do make a valid point. Up until this year, I spent only 30K (20K for the sensor that was shot in Goa, and 10K for the service) and thought it's going to be a good year. However, with the compressor replacement, we are back to the 1,00,000 rupee a year figure.

As things stand, I'll retain the car only because it was a replacement for the 2003 C180 petrol. Thus, the acquisition cost was a lot less.
Old 10th September 2010, 16:47   #254
Senior - BHPian

Factor in the recurring expenses on the C, and I think you should write to Lexus to come in sooner than later. If you're going to stick to Japs, I don't know what else you're thinking of buying next.
Old 10th September 2010, 17:59   #255
Team-BHP Support

Saying that am waiting to hear actual running costs of BMWs. All the cars on forum are too new to judge at the moment

Most Viewed