Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 21:24   #121

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI. UPDATE: Make the GT great again! Cobra springs, SS catback exha

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Having acquired the contact of one Mr. Azaan Sait from a friend who owns and services his Laura TSI at Azaan's independent garage, I'd decided to give him a call and fix an appointment.
Hello Suhaas, I've been facing suspension and clutch issues in my polo 1.5 TDI, and like you I'm also fed up with VW service centres.

Would it be possible to share the location of Mr. Azaan's garage as I would like to visit him and get an opinion from him regarding the issues in my car.
kushal.b110 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 13:26   #122
BHPian

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI. UPDATE: Make the GT great again! Cobra springs, SS catback exha

Caught up with Suhaas this morning at the Bangalore Club as I wanted to get a feel of the Cobra springs as I was contemplating putting them in my Linea which is riding on a combination of High GC coils at the back and Low GC at the front.

The ride on the cobra's is firm not harsh.You can clearly feel the bumps and get a sense of the texture of the road, but I never felt the shocks getting transmitted to the body. It is stiff compared to my hybrid setup and from memory a lot stiffer than the stock setup on the Tsi, but I for one prefer a stiffer setup so it wasn't an issue. The other big difference from a stock Tsi, is the steering which has a lot more heft and doesn't feel light and disconnected from the front end. I guess the 16" rims riding on wider 50 profile tyres also plays a part along with the lowered setup.

I couldn't push the car much driving around the CBD, but from the little that I did it moves smartly compared the stock car and the exhaust note helps add to the drama. I loved the steering wheel and paddle shifter extensions which look and feel great.

@Suhaas. Thanks for meeting me, we must do a longer drive soon.
keroo1099 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 01:50   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Please check system mountings and make sure they are proper and no extra load on it.
Thanks Latheesh! Read up on thermal expansion and also checked the mountings and welds. Everything looks fine for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I can help you out. Just share your interesting videos and I will make you a video reel!
Thanks Khan!

And special thanks to Lone Traveller who reached out to me via PM and offered to help me with chopping up the video.

I decided that it's high time I give it a shot myself, and I've managed to chop it up and stitch a few clips together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Big fan of your performance oriented mods, Suhaas. And special thanks for sharing this one, because lowering springs have been on my mind for a while now. I considered the VW RacingLine springs. They are reasonably priced, but the cost of shipping and the additional customs duty mean that the landed cost will be more than 2x...

...I have exchanged messages with Achintya, and he has confirmed that they will work with the B6 struts in my GT. So look out for an update on my ownership thread soon.
Hi TheLizardKing!

Appreciate the compliments!

I had a quick look at the Racing Line springs you were referring to, and at 200+ Euros, it's far from being reasonably priced! The Eibach Pro-Kit is half the price, and so are the Cobra progressive springs on my car!

When both Eibach and Cobra have presence in the country in the form of dealers and distributors, it may not make sense to look at Racing Line. In fact, even KW and its subsidiary ST now sell lowering springs. In fact, KW's springs are adjustable for height as well! Do give them a look!

Looking forward to your updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Suhaas, your Polo looks suveeetttt!!! Well executed mod. I only wish there was something to sweeten up the exhaust note for Diesels too especially 1.3 MJD on Brezza!
Appreciate it! *Thumbs Up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Spotted your car at the Bangalore club this evening.

Attachment 1926763

Attachment 1926764
Oh, wow! This was a unexpected!

Thanks for the clicks! I may have missed you by literally 5 minutes! I'd left shortly after these photos were taken. Do say hi the next time you're around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal.b110 View Post
Hello Suhaas, I've been facing suspension and clutch issues in my polo 1.5 TDI, and like you I'm also fed up with VW service centres.

Would it be possible to share the location of Mr. Azaan's garage as I would like to visit him and get an opinion from him regarding the issues in my car.
Hi kushal,

Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to share his contact details as he works only on a referral basis. Please try Car Surgeons or even Car Smiths. I've heard good things about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Caught up with Suhaas this morning at the Bangalore Club as I wanted to get a feel of the Cobra springs as I was contemplating putting them in my Linea which is riding on a combination of High GC coils at the back and Low GC at the front...

...I couldn't push the car much driving around the CBD, but from the little that I did it moves smartly compared the stock car and the exhaust note helps add to the drama. I loved the steering wheel and paddle shifter extensions which look and feel great.

@Suhaas. Thanks for meeting me, we must do a longer drive soon.
Thanks for the quick meet Keroo, it was a pleasure!

Oh, and thanks for allowing me to sample your pride and joy - your Linea T-Jet. The wad of torque low-down in the rev range makes your car such a tractable machine. You can putter around town in 3rd gear, preying on unsuspecting Polos, and surprise them without even dropping a gear! Fantastic stuff!

__________________________________________________ ________

Exhaust Update:

Today, I'd visited ProRace Customs again to shake out the bugs and iron out some of the minor niggles and issues.

Mr. Juvitha was eager to rectify the knocking, and suggested that for now the best thing they could do was introduce another material to the rubber hose, i.e. a small bush that was again zip-tied to the rubber hose.

I was hoping that they could figure out a way to eliminate the knocking without resorting to sound-deadening material like rubber hoses and bushes, but as it turns out the scope for rectifying this is poor, due to the enlarged diameter of the pipe, and the now--smaller-space available between the top of the rear axle below the pipe and the heat-shield fastened onto the under-carriage above the pipe courtesy the Cobra springs.

Mr. Juvitha also said that the turbulence was due to the 'Y' split after the muffler for the dual exit pipes. So the turbulence remains unresolved, but it's something I can live with, I suppose.

I was also told that the strong smell after the hard runs was not the exhaust but the tyres. I don't believe this as I've had these tyres on for about 4000 km now. I've been driving in a spirited fashion for all of those 4000 kms and at no point did I find the tyres emitting such a smell. Also, why would the tyres emit a smell at this stage, immediately after the exhaust fitment? So this smelly phenomenon also remains unresolved.

Also, Mr. Juvitha was adamant that stainless steel does not expand outward and dismissed my suggestion that it could be thermal expansion, until he noticed it himself! He did say he will have to look this up. But before I left the workshop, I confirmed that the mounts for the exhaust were done properly and that there's enough flex for such expansion.

Here's a clip of the exhaust note:

(Headphones recommended)

Personally, I love the way it sounds off-throttle - There's a very Italian raspiness to it that's raw yet sophisticated.

Also, now that I've had the cat-back setup for a while, I must say that my initial impressions are positive. The exhaust note is great and the resonator-delete + removal of the stock muffler has definitely reduced some of the restrictions. There may be very very marginal improvement in performance, and the car does 'feel' sprightlier and lighter off its feet. It's probably psychological, but it's good enough for me.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Update on the Cobras:

Since the installation of the Cobra springs, I've been to the airport twice and have also driven to the outskirts of the city on two occasions. I'd like to add to my initial impressions:

1) The ride quality, especially at low speeds, is without question better now with Cobras than when the car was on the Eibach prokit. Expansion joints and patched sections of roads don't bother me anymore.

2) There's no doubt that the setup is stiffer than stock. It's close to the OEM ride, but the Sachs + Cobras do add a touch of firmness to the ride. I wouldn't call it a stiff setup. Firm would be a more apt word. Rebound is no longer as sharp as it used to be on the Eibachs.

3) Handling has remained the same. The car turns in the same as it did while on Eibachs, and nose-dive under hard braking is also well controlled, as the case was with the Eibachs too.

4) High speed ride hasn't changed. I was worried about the rear feeling over-sprung and the rear bobbing up and down due to the softer spring rate, but I'm happy to report that the car remains relatively flat while dealing with undulations even at higher speeds. Ruts in the surface are dismissed as though they are non-existent.

5) You still need to slow down for the really really rough stuff, but I don't generally drive fast on less-than-average roads anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Stay tuned for further updates. *wink*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th October 2019 at 01:54.
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 13:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, wow! This was a unexpected!

Thanks for the clicks! I may have missed you by literally 5 minutes! I'd left shortly after these photos were taken. Do say hi the next time you're around!
That really was a miss! I figured you could be in one of the many functions going on in the several venues in the club and it might take a while for you to get back as the night was still young. Will catch up the next time.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 15:12   #125

Quote:

Hi kushal,

Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to share his contact details as he works only on a referral basis. Please try Car Surgeons or even Car Smiths. I've heard good things about them.

Thank you for your response, Suhaas. Will give them a try.

BTW, I forgot to mention, you've got some tasteful upgrades on your car, love the way it sounds! Happy motoring!
kushal.b110 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 11:53   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
That really was a miss! I figured you could be in one of the many functions going on in the several venues in the club and it might take a while for you to get back as the night was still young. Will catch up the next time.
My car is almost always parked at the Club. If you do happen to swing by and spot my car, do give me a buzz.

A quick photograph taken this morning by keroo1099 along with his Swift.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-img20191030wa0007.jpg

Quote:
Thank you for your response, Suhaas. Will give them a try.

BTW, I forgot to mention, you've got some tasteful upgrades on your car, love the way it sounds! Happy motoring!
Thanks for understanding Kushal, and thank you for the compliments, I really do appreciate it!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th October 2019 at 11:54.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 11:44   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car is almost always parked at the Club. If you do happen to swing by and spot my car, do give me a buzz.

A quick photograph taken this morning by keroo1099 along with his Swift.
Thanks for the heads up on your availability at the club. Will coordinate when I'm there and let's catch up.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 12:19   #128
Team-BHP Support

How I wish there was a VW showroom nearby, I could have gotten this instead of the Swift ZXi+ I got. The clean lines are so attractive and with that wheels, it is achingly beautiful.

While I am very happy with Swift's engine, chassis, the build/plastics are simply not worth a 8.5L car.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 20:39   #129

Hey Suhaas,
I spotted you this evening at the cash pharmacy junction and was riding behind you for a bit as I was on the same route as you. The lowered stance on your car looks so much better than a stock polo and those wheels just enhances the look! It was a pleasure to my ears to hear the exhaust note on the few open stretches that you took full advantage of!
Unfortunately I I couldn't click any pictures or record a video as I was on my bike. Hope to see you around more often as I can't wait to hear that exhaust again!
kushal.b110 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 11:03   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How I wish there was a VW showroom nearby, I could have gotten this instead of the Swift ZXi+ I got. The clean lines are so attractive and with that wheels, it is achingly beautiful.
Thanks, Sheel!

Quote:
Hey Suhaas,
I spotted you this evening at the cash pharmacy junction and was riding behind you for a bit as I was on the same route as you. The lowered stance on your car looks so much better than a stock polo and those wheels just enhances the look! It was a pleasure to my ears to hear the exhaust note on the few open stretches that you took full advantage of!
Unfortunately I I couldn't click any pictures or record a video as I was on my bike. Hope to see you around more often as I can't wait to hear that exhaust again!
Thanks, Kushal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minor Update:

Received an early anniversary present from the wife:

The package seemed a little damaged..

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-1.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-2.jpg

but the contents were intact, thankfully!

It's a nifty dash-clock with a German Flag for the dial.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-3.jpg

The clock is made of high-quality material and has a certain weight and expensive feel to it.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-4.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-5.jpg

The clock also came with a small zip-lock bag containing a tiny screw-driver-like tool, an A/C vent clip and 4 round pieces of double-sided tape.

NOTE: The double-side tape is ineffective. Will need to find a solution to ensure it remains secured to the dashboard.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-6.jpg

The clock adds a dash of colour to the otherwise dark and dreary cabin of the car. I love it!

P.S. I've positioned the clock on top of the center-console, a la Porsche's Sport Chrono

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th November 2019 at 11:23.
suhaas307 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 12:42   #131
Team-BHP Support

UPDATE:

5th Service:

Having planned a 500 km round trip to Chikkamagalur this coming weekend, and given that I've been driving the car pretty hard in and around town the last few months, I'd decided to get the car serviced 2 months earlier than scheduled.

The last time my car was comprehensively serviced was in February and it was the car's 4th service at 27,400 km on the odo. So this would be the 5th comprehensive service, with the car having clocked 34,000 km. I would have liked to get a little hands on this time and actually undertake some of the works myself, but owing to my super busy work schedule and personal commitments, I had no choice but to leave the car at Azaan's for a few days.

No regrets though, as the service was exceptionally executed, as usual.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-opening-shot.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-front-end.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-rear-3-quarter.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-engine-open.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-engine-oil-drain.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-dsg-oil.jpg
Took this opportunity to change the DSG oil. Although the manual recommends change of gearbox oil at 60,000 km, I'd decided to get it done earlier, owing to harsh driving conditions, i.e. dusty roads, stop start / crawling traffic and sudden bursts of acceleration.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-front-brakes-suspension-close-up.jpg
A close look at the car's revised hardware.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-oil-filter.jpg
The oil filter was also changed.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-under-body.jpg

The final job card:

1) Engine Oil (Mobil1): Rs. 3,800.
2) Oil Filter: Rs. 660.
3) Fuel Filter: Rs. 1,430.
4) K&N air-filter cleaning: Rs. 500.
5) DSG Oil (Meyle ATF DSG-II): Rs. 2,660.
6) Labour: Rs. 4,500.

The total damage to the wallet was Rs. 13,550.

A couple of months ago, I'd gotten the front windshield wiper blades changed to a pair of sleek frame-less one from Bosch. The rear wiper blade also needed to be changed but it was not in stock, unfortunately. However, it is expected to arrive some time this week.

Post service experience:

The engine is obviously running a touch smoother now. The gearbox too is shifting a little smoother than earlier. The minute vibrations I could feel through the transmission tunnel seems to have disappeared. I suppose changing fluids at regular intervals is always recommended and will prolong the life of the car.

The only thing left now is a quick trip to Madhus for road-force balancing and alignment before we set off for the weekend.

P.S. Some interesting things are planned for the car in the coming month. Stay tuned

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th November 2019 at 13:03.
suhaas307 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 21:34   #132
BHPian

Quote:
The final job card:
3) Fuel Filter: Rs. 1,430.
Hi suhaas307,

Did you replace fuel filter due to some issue, its not listed in periodic maintenance schedule for petrol cars.

Regards.
Old 20th November 2019, 01:14   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi suhaas307,

Did you replace fuel filter due to some issue, its not listed in periodic maintenance schedule for petrol cars.

Regards.
Hi Antardaksh,

I had no trouble with the fuel filter, but I'd requested for it to be changed and it wasn't too expensive anyway, just like the DSG oil change.

Cheers
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 16:34   #134

Hi Suhaas. This is my first post in team-bhp. Huge fan of your mods.

I just acquired a set of bilstein B6 for my GT TSI. Planning to get lowering springs as well, from your review cobra springs seems nice. How do the ST springs compare to the Cobra springs? Are they progressive springs as well?

Secondly I been planning to do the GTI/S1 brake upgrade for a longtime and always doubted whether they would be compatible and luckily you carried out the same.Still confused whether to go for 288mm or 310mm kit. Would the 310mm fit in 16inch wheels?

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2019 at 16:48. Reason: Request you to put space after a punctuation mark. And please proof read your post prior to submitting. Thanks.
Gosha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 00:52   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosha View Post
Hi Suhaas. This is my first post in team-bhp. Huge fan of your mods.

I just acquired a set of bilstein B6 for my GT TSI. Planning to get lowering springs as well, from your review cobra springs seems nice. How do the ST springs compare to the Cobra springs? Are they progressive springs as well?

Secondly I been planning to do the GTI/S1 brake upgrade for a longtime and always doubted whether they would be compatible and luckily you carried out the same.Still confused whether to go for 288mm or 310mm kit. Would the 310mm fit in 16inch wheels?
Hi Gosha,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you like my upgrades! There's more where that came from

I've heard great things about Bilstein B6. I've driven a few GTs with them and I have to say, they do transform the car! How did you go about buying them?

The Cobra springs have been really good so far. I have covered about 1000 km since i swapped the springs, and I find them to be the ideal springs to get for (a) slightly lowered stance, (b) improved dynamics and (c) good ride for everyday driving, all on a tight budget.

I don't have any experience with ST springs. I've heard they're good. If they are progressive, I'm sure the ride will be pretty decent.

But the progressive characteristic of a spring alone does not determine the car's ride quality. It should have milder and more-OE like spring rate, in order to ensure that the ride quality is not compromised.

The Cobras can be had for about 23k the last time I checked. ST springs will be more, I presume, considering the brand is considered premium due to its association with KW.

Now, for the brakes:

I selected the 288 mm compatible calipers for the sole reason that they were cheaper than the 310 mm brakes by about 30-40 Euros. (Every penny counts when you are sinking big cash into a project ) Additionally, I knew the 310 mm rotors would be a few thousands more than 288 mm rotors. I may have saved about 7k in all by going for the 288 mm compatible calipers. If i had waited a few months, maybe I could have saved another 70 Euro and bought the GTI calipers instead of the S1 Calipers, as they are essentially the same brakes, the only difference being the S1 plaque on the caliper face.

But then I realized that the 310 mm rotors may result in front brake bias, now that the front brakes bite better 10-fold! In fact, I have had to bring the car to an absolute stop on a couple of occasions, and I have felt the back starting to come around (this was before the mandatory 2nd brake bleed) once or twice. Even with my 288 mm brakes, I can feel a hint of front bias prior to the second bleed. With 310 mm up front, I'm certain the bias will be a touch more pronounced in comparison. (Remember to bleed the brakes thoroughly, especially the rear brakes, after the upgrade.)

Once equipped with the 288 mm brakes, I have never felt the need for further improvement in braking performance. It's absolutely fantastic at the moment. I suspect the EBC rotors are doing a splendid job. I can improve on it incrementally by swapping the stock pads for EBC Yellowstuff and I will do this once the pads require change.

If you really want to upgrade to 310 mm compatible calipers and rotors, you should ideally get a rear disc brake conversion done to cancel out any potential front bias. For this, you will have to procure the rear axle that's compatible for a rear disc brake conversion, and I believe only Polos sold prior to 2012 are equipped with this particular axle. Note, that with all the penny pinching one would do, a rear disc conversion along with upgraded front BBK would set you back a minimum of 70k. Not worth it considering the power on tap in the baby TSI simply does not justify such a conversion.

The GTI comes with 310 up front and much smaller rear discs at the back, FYI. And it's absolutely essential given that the 1.8 TSI makes 190 horsepower.

Oh, and yes, the 310 mm brakes should fit with the 16" alloy wheels. The GTI that was sold in India was equipped with 16" wheels from the factory.

The 288 mm calipers and rotors are even designed to fit 15" wheels, would you believe it!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th December 2019 at 13:03.
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed