Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 11:45   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to OEM Bixenon conversion!

Lovely setup and upgrades Suhaas. The OEM xenons have now transformed the car into a Euro Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The bulb is a D3S bulb which has ballast built in.
Quote:
The ballast is part of bulb so if you pop the bulb it's ~$100
The D3S bulb has the igniter built into the bulb's base not ballast. The ballast is a separate unit.

Here's an image that shows the ballast unit mounted on the headlight:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-ballast-headlights.jpg

That said, I agree that a 35W ballast is more than sufficient for day-to-day usage. A 50W ballast in addition to reducing the longevity of the bulb and the ballast, can result in the reduced reflectivity of the projectors due to the intense heat the bulbs generate.

The OEM ballasts from Mitsubishi/Denso have an extremely good reliability. Just that they take a bit more to warm up compared to aftermarket ballasts like Morimoto.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th September 2020 at 11:54.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:56   #227
Team-BHP Support

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to OEM Bixenon conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

The D3S bulb has the igniter built into the bulb's base not ballast. The ballast is a separate unit.

Here's an image that shows the ballast unit mounted on the headlight:
Yup Suhaas shared a similar pic. I mixed up the D5S and D3S which is in S-cross.

The bulbs looks the same but in the D5S the ballast is part of the bulb as well.
Old 11th September 2020, 12:43   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haritabh7 View Post
Great to see that the headlights worked out brilliantly! The only missing piece or shall i call it, 'untouched' piece in this build is the front bumper now. Knowing you, I'm sure you must've something planned for it as well.
Thanks Haritabh!

I am inclined to retain the front bumper since it is nearly identical to the one found on the 6R GTI. I may consider adding a subtle splitter / skirt to tie up the kit nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Lovely swap Suhaas and this has just upped the hotness of your GT bro

I think the only update/upgrade your GT needs is a good touchscreen HU.
Thanks Vik!

Yes, the only thing pending new is a good touchscreen HU. Now that I have jumped onto the iPhone bandwagon it may make sense for me to explore touchscreen HUs or maybe get the OEM RCD 340 if I find one for a decent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I can't believe I was trying to talk you into doing the basic halogen lamp upgrade while you were working out the final details of this killer set of lamps. You manage to surprise me every time man.

I absolutely love that sticker. I will be shamelessly copying that shortly. It'll be the first bumper sticker I've had on ANY car.

And that last line, yet again. I wonder what is in store now! Hats off to you bud!
Haha! Thanks Viraat!

I love the sticker too! It is also nice to know that my wife has a good sense of humor, given the circumstances. *grins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
This is a proper upgrade! A good pair of HID is any day much more usable and performs better than OEM LED headlights. You made the right choice, (baby! Aha!)

Now while you note that the difference is night and day, you should consider looking at XB 55W Ballasts and XB 5500K from Morimoto. You will then see the difference is "day-and-twice as bright a day". The 55W ballast will run the standard bulbs at 50W, and color shift will cause light to be yellow-ish. Hence recommend to get 5500K bulbs, which will give 4500K output with the 55W ballast. Still slightly whiter than OEM 35W which is 41-4200K. You will not regret this mod, and it only costs 18K for this set up.

By the way, how old are the headlights in terms of mileage? If they're used for more than 30-40K kms, then suggest changing the projectors too to Morimoto, then the difference will be "twice as bright a day-holy mother of god look at that cut off beam!!"
Thanks for the suggestion Adi!

For now, I will stick to these bulbs but if ad when these bulbs do give up I shall consider the upgrade suggested by you.

The headlights themselves are about 3 years old and have been used for about a year and a half, i.e. 20k km. I will wear them out and then consider a complete overhaul i.e. projector + bulb + ballast upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovenkat View Post
Congrats Suhas.

Yes the stock headlights are very bad. Could you please let me know more details on what you had mentioned as below ?

1. Upgrading to better halogens: Simple, cheap and does the job. But this would have been my last option really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Those lights look really amazing and moreover the light intensity looks good as well. I have a polo 2014 model which came with the single barrel headlamps, i am really fed up of the light intensity as well, you have mentioned that you have experimented with /knowledge of changing the bulb to a higher wattage or installing a Led bulb.

I'm on a budget so i can't just completely replace the headlamps, can you share some insights on this please?
Thank you guys!

I was referring to upgrading the stock bulbs to more powerful (higher wattage) ones with uprated wiring.

I found that the LED bulbs on Vik's car was pretty damn good for the price. Please check the previous pages for details and links.

Sorry, I am a complete noob when it comes to this and you may find your answer elsewhere on the forum. Apologies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridReaper View Post
Hey Suhas

Thanks for sharing your experience which is very informative. I wanted to tune my Cruze and explore other options which will make the car go faster, louder and still be viable for daily commute. Looking at your post I thought I will visit Black works and explore my options.
I am having difficulty in finding Black works contact. Can you please suggest how I can reach them?
They can be found on Facebook and I think contact information is shared on that page too. Yakuza has chimed in below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
I searched on google and the contact number is there in the below link, and I can confirm that it’s the correct contact number, so you can definitely reach them

https://vymaps.com/IN/Blackworks-423232874698353/
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That neverbeen sticker rocks, it's been ages since I have seen a funny sticker! I am glad you went for the OEM option in the end. If I were in charge of VW India, I would have offered a build configurator. Those guys should realise that TSI+DSG is bought by different type of customers. Instead they completely removed the DSG option. I don't understand why they want to run behind Maruti customers who they will never get. Sorry about the rant
Thanks androdev! I think that neverbeen sticker will really suit your Porsche 911 Carrera too. Do consider

And I completely agree, VW should have allowed some level of customization for some of its models at least. You are free to rant, don't stress about it. *grins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Good job & great finish. Nothing matches the HIDs when raw illumination output is the primary requirement. At least in most cases. Few exceptions like perfectly designed LED-Reflector combinations maybe. But one cant go wrong with good HID-Projector setup.

One doubt - now that your primary headlamp itself is a bi-xenon HID - how do you find the performance of high-beam flash for passing? I have always been a bit skeptical of this since a pass-flash means the ballasts generating the startup-surge for the bulbs.

Also - with now just HIDs - how about dark tunnels? One grime that I had when I had HID kit in the low beams of my car was that some times the tunnels used to get almost over by the time the HID reached its optimum illumination output.
Thanks Reinhard,

I was about to help clarify the points you raised but looks like Vid6639 and Gannu beat me to the punch! Better them than me personally, because I am no expert when it comes to lighting.

I must say I chewed the brains of Vid, Azaan, Gannu, Graaja and several others before I took the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Lovely setup and upgrades Suhaas. The OEM xenons have now transformed the car into a Euro Polo..
Thanks, Gannu! *wink* that was the idea all along!
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 13:01   #229
Senior - BHPian

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!

Quote:
I am not in favour of 55W HID bulbs for the heat.

Also when you flash to pass it is a cold start and with 55W there will be a big surge. Life of bulb will be really bad vs the cost spent.
Agree there would be slightly more heat in the projector, but not all that much to damage it. Morimoto XB Ballasts specifically cut down the lag between pulling the pass light and shutter activation is almost as quick as with the OEM ballast. Chinese poor quality ballasts cause electrical degradation and I never recommend them even when they're like 50$ a pair on Ali. Heck they even claim to be working at 70W in some instances! Insane, and absolutely unnecessary.

Seen several examples of this on Briskoda and its not a big issue.
As far as longevity is concerned, yes, there could be a shorter life span of the 35W bulbs running at 50W. Bulbs are cheap though, INR 5000 for a pair, as bright as Osram NBLasers, and very high quality. So I would anyways get a new pair every year or so as part of regular maintenance! Why not when they're so reasonably priced?!

These OEM headlights can be converted to D2S, by running a minute hole through the bulb cover for the igniter cable, and guess what, Morimoto makes 50W bulbs in D2S format. Those would be much more reliable with 50W ballasts. Its also easy to swap the OEM projector in case it is old and not very clear to let light through as compared to when new, with Morimoto projectors.

And that is the HOLY GRAIL as far as HID lights go. I suggested to swap projectors since the headlight he's got look to be used quite a lot. And he's always up for some DIY improvements

Finally the cost is just too drool worthy for the amount of improvement in light output.
1. Bulbs + Ballasts = INR 18K
2. Bulbs + Ballasts + Projectors = INR ~ 30K
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 17:43   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Blackworks Double-Divorced Coolant-Circuit.. MO POWAH BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
It was great to meet you Suhaas along with Tanay (tanaysn) and Hemanth (hemanth.anand)
Thanks Vik0728 for pulling me in. I wanted to see Suhaas's car in person and man what a beautiful short gal she is!

I told Vikram that I avoid such meets as it plants the car modification bug in the head. The bug that once is on you, doesn't go! but what is possibly the best GTTSI in town lured me into it.

suhaas307, The water bottle in the bonnet to the exhaust all are so beautifully done. During the ride, I was awestruck by the brakes and the suspension. Lowered but still can handle the Speedbreakers of Bengaluru...what else do you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I reopened negotiations with him and once we settled on the price, I bought it on the spot and got it installed:
Wonderful upgrade. The way you were talking about the lights during the meet, my sixth sense was telling me that you'll get it
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 18:49   #231
BHPian

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Blackworks Double-Divorced Coolant-Circuit.. MO POWAH BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Thanks Vik0728 During the ride, I was awestruck by the brakes and the suspension. Lowered but still can handle the Speedbreakers of Bengaluru...what else do you need!
I told him not to touch the car after driving it in the morning and he goes and gets new headlights that very afternoon.

His car looks great, sounds great, and feels great when you drive it.

(your last line here)
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:30   #232
Team-BHP Support

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!

UPDATE:

It's been a while since I had updated this thread, and there have been several developments since. Will begin with an issue that I have had with the car for a couple of months now.

Sometime around August, I noticed something weird. While in 'D' mode and in 2nd or 3rd, a mild jerk-like kick was felt mid-acceleration. This would happen on occasion and only between 2000-3000 RPM but would thereafter go away entirely.

One long breakfast drive to Gudibanda (near Chikkaballapur) confirmed that there was indeed a problem with the car. The jerking got pretty frequent and was heightened in higher gears, i.e. 6th and 7th, while cruising at 80-90 km/h.

It felt to me like there was a problem with the ignition. and I was right. Upon inspection, I noticed that one of the plug wires (contact point with the distributor/coil) was corroded. I contacted VW immediately and sought replacement parts but they insisted that the part is not available and would take a month at the least.

I couldn't wait and with the help of Azaan, managed to procure OEM wires and coil/distributor. As it turns out, the OEM part was defective and this resulted in regular cylinder-misfires especially when I attempted to push the car hard. OBD scans revealed a few error codes pointing at cylinder 2, 3 and 4 misfiring.

On more than a few occasions, the car would throw up a bunch of lights on the cluster and would immediately go into limp-home-mode, essentially switching off two cylinders and restricting power a great deal. This was probably the most unnerving and forgettable experience I have had thus far. The car sounded like a Nano in limp-home-mode!

Anyway, all's well that ends well, as they say. We managed to procure OG wires and that sorted the problem once and for all! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to document this with pictures, but I do have a few snaps of the error codes. I could share them with people on request.

Moving on..

I have always desired the GTI steering wheel ever since I saw Gannu's DIY thread, but at 50-60k I simply couldn't afford one. Also, I was very particular that I would want the GTI wheel with red backlights and without the CC buttons (only audio-controls on the left with the mute button). I couldn't find one for the longest time.. until now!

Shankaneel, the same chap who helped source the OEM tweeter pillars for me, along with a few other knick-knacks, sold me this steering wheel that was on one of his client's Polo.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p1.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p2.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p3.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p4.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p5.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p6.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p7.jpg

It checked out - red backlights, mute button, etc. But there was one problem - the plus and minus indicators on the paddle were backlit in white, messing up the whole show for me. However, there was an elegant work-around to this - and that would be the R-Line (replica) paddle shift extensions.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p8-extension.jpg

These are not your average everyday extensions that are stuck onto the existing paddles using 3M double-side tape. No, no, no! installing these would require you to remove the existing paddles and replace them with these aluminium beauties!

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-p9-extension.jpg

These paddles are available on aliexpress, but I managed to source them locally from a fellow enthusiast in Kerala, who was kind enough to ship me these on a moment's notice.

Installation was in-all a 10-minute affair. pretty straight forward. Replacing the paddles too took no longer than 2 minutes, with the help of a YouTube guide on the same:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-d1.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-d2.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-d3.jpg

I have to say, I am pretty pleased with this, and my car is one step closer to completion, with the installation of the new steering and paddles.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n1.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n2.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n3.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n8.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n9.jpg

The brushed aluminium on the steering looks like it's been hewn and milled from a block of solid metal. The form factor is rather high for this one!

However, I find that the GTI steering is overall a touch smaller than the stock steering. in fact it's almost negligible. The steering rim is thicker and meatier, which is nice. But somehow I prefer the thinner rim of the old steering.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n4.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n5.jpg

Using the new paddles is an absolute treat. Gone is that plasticky feeling one used to get with the old paddles. The new ones make an audible metallic 'clink' noise when used, and it feels quite similar to the paddles in the Ameo Cup Car I had the privilege of driving in Chennai last year!

I even like how it extends below, allowing you access from various positions on the steering:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n6.jpg

The only thing that would complete this install is a GT badge to replace the GTI badge on the steering:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-n7.jpg

I have found one on ebay.co.uk but the seller has refused to ship the badge out of the UK. Help in this regard from fellow members would be highly appreciated!

Stay tuned for more updates!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th November 2020 at 17:33.
suhaas307 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:05   #233
BHPian

Hey Suhaas,
Haven't heard from you after the steering update. Any new modifications?

Sreesh
Old 11th January 2021, 16:48   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Hey Suhaas,
Haven't heard from you after the steering update. Any new modifications?

Sreesh
Hi Sreesh!

Yes, in fact there has been one modification and possibly the last one I would do to the car - RCD340G.

After looking around in every nook and cranny and putting the word out, I managed to find one and it belonged to our very own Vik - Team BHP member who is in fact a regular even on this thread.

Vik was kind enough to sell his RCD340G to me as he was upgrading to an Android Unit.

Details of the RCD340 have been beaten to death in several threads on this forum, so I felt a comprehensive update may not have been necessary.

With this HU upgrade, I am officially done with the car and I am very happy with what I have achieved.

For further updates, do watch this space. There may be something in the pipeline after all
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 23:17   #235

Hey suhaas, Do you still have the auto headlamp switch with you? I’m not able to source one due to the ban on Chinese products and the covid situation. Or can you share a link for buying one online? Thanks in advance ��
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:14   #236

Hey Suhaas

I don’t know how I missed this thread. I have a same make GT as you have. I am a bit averse to getting a remap as I don’t want to compromise on longevity/ reliability at any cost. You had mentioned much earlier in the thread about one of the simplest mods being adding a euro spec intake. Can I hope for a slight change in the running or will it just be an occasional whoosh?
Old 29th June 2021, 20:48   #237
BHPian

Having no plans to hijack this thread, I have a 2014 Polo GT TDI, completed a lakh recently. However, I desperately need to do something about the headlight and foglamp bulbs.
I am not a fan of white light, and OEM projectors are beyond my budget. In addition, aftermarket headlamps take away the original charm of the vehicle.
I need help getting the low beam of the headlight changed to better bulbs, kindly suggest some options. I wish I can get something like a seven series projection with yellow DRLs.
Just asking is HID an option? Since I know, LED won't get yellow light (please prove me wrong).
I am not willing to spend a fortune at present, but I need to get something done. For example, low beam HID or HID in fog lamps.

Kindly help
Old 5th January 2022, 03:30   #238

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI : UPDATE: Making the GT great again! Sachs, Code6, BBS+Michelin

Quote:
UPDATE:

Things have been quiet on my thread for a while, and rightfully so. But a lot has happened behind the scenes, i.e. intensive research on the right parts, their effects and consequences, et al. But when I found the right parts, I wasted no time in purchasing them. So every purchase has a back story to it. So let's get to it, shall we?
Sir what is your source for the brakes as I have enquired it's quite expensive upwards of 60k. Is it worth spending that much or should I get bigger rotors by dba ebc and ebc brake pads with it. And maybe keep the stock calipers for replace them with something a bit cheaper.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th January 2022 at 05:30. Reason: Trimmed long post quote.
Old 7th January 2022, 02:26   #239

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI : UPDATE: Making the GT great again! Sachs, Code6, BBS+Michelin

Quote:
The new larger single-piston calipers are now to be paired with 288 mm rotors/discs. (The stock size, I'm told is 250 odd mm.) It looked great, but I wasn't sure of it due to the pricing.
Hey man those are not the OEM rotors if I'm not wrong. Where did you source the 288mm rotors from. Really want to go for that upgrade

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 05:09. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 25th March 2024, 11:41   #240
BHPian

Quote:
For further updates, do watch this space. There may be something in the pipeline after all
Hey Suhaas, haven't heard you in this thread since long. Wanted to know how is your Cobra+Sachs setup going after so much time passed since you installed?

The Cobras come with only progressive rears and fronts are linear, aren't the fronts also supposed to be progressive to keep the ride comfortable?

I am planning to get some matching springs for the stiff Sachs dampers but ended up facing an issue after the damper installation (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts) which need to be sorted out first but have no clue so far.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed