Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 01:13   #211
BHPian

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Blackworks Double-Divorced Coolant-Circuit.. MO POWAH BA

Quote:
Installing the swaybar was a 20 minute affair. There was no drilling required whatsoever. It’s a very easily reversible modification.
That was hugely helpful, thank you.
So the 'U' shaped clamps in the pics were used to mount the sway bar to the twist beam.

I was thinking of adding an anti roll bar to the swift but there are no mounting holes, this gave me a solution.
ChrisTJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 10:22   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Blackworks Double-Divorced Coolant-Circuit.. MO POWAH BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Allow me to evaluate my options and arrive at a decision shortly.
It was great to meet you Suhaas along with Tanay (tanaysn) and Hemanth (hemanth.anand)

Went for a spin in Tanay's remapped 1.5 GT TDi and it was just a blast. The Stag 1 remap has actually transformed the 1.5 TDi and it really felt like the good old 1.6 GT every time I floored it. All he needs now are some good pair of anchors.

Suhaas, your GT sure does make people feel tall, at least, I did. It sits so low and those rims & 205 section tires just squats the ride perfectly. Just loved the stance. But boy, I am totally in love with that nice raspy growl your stead produces at idle. It is so much like s mini vRS sound. And those diffuser and side-skirt only ups the eye-candy factor.
What I really loved was the acceleration roar, such a compliant ride and totally crazy braking. You have really chosen the mods so well and everything has come together brilliantly bro
Can't wait to plan another meet and a much better/longer drive.

It was quite dark by the time our usual discussions ended and we moved towards the car. Could not take lot of pics, so for now, here are a couple of them from my end.

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-img20200828185228.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-img20200828185240.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-img20200828192226.jpg

Last edited by Vik0728 : 31st August 2020 at 10:24.
Vik0728 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:27   #213
Team-BHP Support

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to OEM Bixenon conversion!

UPDATE:

Those who own Polos/Ventos are aware as to just how bad the stock headlights are on their cars. It's miserable to say the least. Worse that candles in jam-jars! As a result, I've been evaluating the following (cheapest to most expensive) options:

1. Upgrading to better halogens: Simple, cheap and does the job. But this would have been my last option really.

2. Upgrading the halogens to LED bulbs: Not a bad option. Contrary to popular belief, it does not scatter and the cut-off is quite clean. The problems arise when driving though rain as the 6000k bulbs aren't too effective in rainy conditions.

3. Retrofitting projector lenses and upgrading to HID/LED bulbs: Not a bad option at all, provided you find a good installer. With all the horror stories I have heard surrounding retro-fitting jobs, I decided against it.

4. Aftermarket headlights: Didn't like any of them to be honest. None of them were in contention.

5. OEM bixenon: The best option but expensive as hell at 1.15 lakh, and this is without even BCM-Max and upgraded wiring.

6. OEM Full-LED: Too expensive at 1.5 lakh (approx) and about as effective as regular reflectors with LED bulbs. No thank you!

As you can see, my options were quite limited, and I was about to go down the retrofitting route.

But then I saw a listing on Team-BHP Classifieds - used OEM Bixenon headlights for sale for 65k. I couldn't pass this up, naturally! So I dropped the seller (who also happens to be a member of the Forum - treadmark) a message and literally cross-examined him about the headlights for two days.

Pictures of the headlights shared by treadmark upon my request:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-01.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-02.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-03.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-04.jpg

Thereafter, I spoke to friendly member Vik who graciously accepted to meet me a few weeks ago so that I could check out the performance of his LED bulbs in the stock reflector housing. (pictures right above my post) I must say I was impressed and almost decided to just get the bulbs and call it a day.

But before I went ahead with the purchase I wanted to meet treadmark and check out the headlights in person. When I met him, I was quite impressed with the headlights despite the battle-scars and micro-scratches on the headlight cover. One scratch was particularly nasty and had occured when the consignment containing the headlights reached the customs office and the idiot customs official slashed the box open, causing a deep scratch on the RHS headlight. Nonetheless, I reopened negotiations with him and once we settled on the price, I bought it on the spot and got it installed:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-05.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-06.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-07.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-08.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-09.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-10.jpg

The install itself was quite straight-forward, especially with the custom harness that was provided along with the headlights.

Couple of interesting things about these Bixenons:

- These are the original (made in Spain) by Valeo OEM Bixenon headlights (35w) Philips HID bulbs and Mitsubishi ballasts, specifically for the RHD markets like RSA and the UK.

- To get the maximum out of these, it would be necessary to swap out the stock BCM and wiring with BCM-Max - this opens up a host of features such as self-leveling/auto focus, cornering lights on steering-angle, etc.

- To work around this, many enthusiasts in RUS and EU have developed an 10-14 pin adapter / wiring kit / module which helps enable some of the features that BCM-Max would unlock:
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-11.jpg

This 'Module' unlocks the following:
(a) Cornering lights on Indication
(b) DRLs activate on ignition
(c) DRLs dim when headlights are switched on
(d) DRL turns off when respective indicator is activated
(e) Cornering lights activate when respective indicator is activated
(f) HID bulbs activate and shutter opens for flashing when headlights are off during the daytime.

- Unfortunately, the one feature that still requires BCM Max to work is the auto-focus / self-leveling function. This works with BCM Max only and requires a sensor to be fixed on the rear axle which transmits signals to the BCM to focus the beam based on load and weight in the car. Ergo, my Bixenons are fixed and cannot be adjusted unless I pop the bonnet and aligned them manually. Below are pictures of low and high beams pre-manual-alignment:

Low beam (yet to be manually aligned)
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-12.jpg

High beam (yet to be manually aligned)
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-13.jpg

Oh, and before I forget, treadmark was kind enough to throw in an original auto-headlight switch along with a sensor. This allowed me to replace the old Chinese switch. I wasn't too happy with the old switch as it had some kind of a weird cosmetic defect that once seen cannot be unseen:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-14.jpg
New switch v. Old switch

Verdict:

Well, what can I say. The performance is a night-and-day difference when compared to the crappy halogens. The spread is wide and the throw is good too. It does has the intensity that some of the other options lack, and although the beam's cut-off is not super-sharp with the rainbow colours, it's pretty clean and effective.

What I was concerned about is its performance in the rain and I haven't been left wanting in that respect either.

There is definitely room for improvement (I have seen some spectacularly performing headlights in the aftermarket) but these do the job for me just fine! I couldn't have asked or expected anything better. For now, here are some pictures I have taken:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-15.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-16.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-17.jpg
GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-18.jpg

Oh, before I forget, my wife decided to surprise me with a gag-gift:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-19.jpg

And a little more personalization wouldn't hurt:

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-20.jpg

GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!-21.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates!
suhaas307 is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:30   #214

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!

Great to see that the headlights worked out brilliantly! The only missing piece or shall i call it, 'untouched' piece in this build is the front bumper now. Knowing you, I'm sure you must've something planned for it as well.
haritabh7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:49   #215
Senior - BHPian

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to OEM Bixenon conversion!

Quote:
UPDATE:I bought it on the spot and got it installed:

Lovely swap Suhaas and this has just upped the hotness of your GT bro

These were actually the headlamps I was so desperately looking for during my 1.6 GT ownership, but never could buy one. As confirmed by you, this is just a perfect fit for the Pre-facelift Polo (non-dual barrel).

The LEDs I am using in my current car seem to be holding up and I may just keep it that way for sometime, but the projectors are too enticing.

I think the only update/upgrade your GT needs is a good touchscreen HU.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th September 2020 at 20:50.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 01:27   #216
BHPian

Quote:

1. Upgrading to better halogens: Simple, cheap and does the job. But this would have been my last option really.

Oh, before I forget, my wife decided to surprise me with a gag-gift:

I can't believe I was trying to talk you into doing the basic halogen lamp upgrade while you were working out the final details of this killer set of lamps. You manage to surprise me every time man.

I absolutely love that sticker. I will be shamelessly copying that shortly. It'll be the first bumper sticker I've had on ANY car.

And that last line, yet again. I wonder what is in store now! Hats off to you bud!
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 11:13   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Verdict: Well, what can I say. The performance is a night-and-day difference when compared to the crappy halogens. The spread is wide and the throw is good too.
This is a proper upgrade! A good pair of HID is any day much more usable and performs better than OEM LED headlights. You made the right choice, (baby! Aha!)

Now while you note that the difference is night and day, you should consider looking at XB 55W Ballasts and XB 5500K from Morimoto. You will then see the difference is "day-and-twice as bright a day". The 55W ballast will run the standard bulbs at 50W, and color shift will cause light to be yellow-ish. Hence recommend to get 5500K bulbs, which will give 4500K output with the 55W ballast. Still slightly whiter than OEM 35W which is 41-4200K. You will not regret this mod, and it only costs 18K for this set up.

By the way, how old are the headlights in terms of mileage? If they're used for more than 30-40K kms, then suggest changing the projectors too to Morimoto, then the difference will be "twice as bright a day-holy mother of god look at that cut off beam!!"
adi_petrolhead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 12:29   #218

Congrats Suhas.

Yes the stock headlights are very bad. Could you please let me know more details on what you had mentioned as below ?

sovenkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 15:20   #219

Hey Suhas

Thanks for sharing your experience which is very informative. I wanted to tune my Cruze and explore other options which will make the car go faster, louder and still be viable for daily commute. Looking at your post I thought I will visit Black works and explore my options.
I am having difficulty in finding Black works contact. Can you please suggest how I can reach them?
GridReaper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 17:25   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridReaper View Post
I am having difficulty in finding Black works contact. Can you please suggest how I can reach them?
I searched on google and the contact number is there in the below link, and I can confirm that it’s the correct contact number, so you can definitely reach them

https://vymaps.com/IN/Blackworks-423232874698353/
Yakuza is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 18:55   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!

That neverbeen sticker rocks, it's been ages since I have seen a funny sticker! I am glad you went for the OEM option in the end. If I were in charge of VW India, I would have offered a build configurator. Those guys should realise that TSI+DSG is bought by different type of customers. Instead they completely removed the DSG option. I don't understand why they want to run behind Maruti customers who they will never get. Sorry about the rant
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 23:21   #222
BHPian

Those lights look really amazing and moreover the light intensity looks good as well. I have a polo 2014 model which came with the single barrel headlamps, i am really fed up of the light intensity as well, you have mentioned that you have experimented with /knowledge of changing the bulb to a higher wattage or installing a Led bulb.

I'm on a budget so i can't just completely replace the headlamps, can you share some insights on this please?
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 08:58   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good job & great finish. Nothing matches the HIDs when raw illumination output is the primary requirement. At least in most cases. Few exceptions like perfectly designed LED-Reflector combinations maybe. But one cant go wrong with good HID-Projector setup.

One doubt - now that your primary headlamp itself is a bi-xenon HID - how do you find the performance of high-beam flash for passing? I have always been a bit skeptical of this since a pass-flash means the ballasts generating the startup-surge for the bulbs.

Also - with now just HIDs - how about dark tunnels? One grime that I had when I had HID kit in the low beams of my car was that some times the tunnels used to get almost over by the time the HID reached its optimum illumination output.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th September 2020 at 09:12.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 09:32   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
One doubt - now that your primary headlamp itself is a bi-xenon HID - how do you find the performance of high-beam flash for passing? I have always been a bit skeptical of this since a pass-flash means the ballasts generating the startup-surge for the bulbs.
Good point there sir. Since I have HID's too and use the high-beam flash, I have got into the habit of switching ON the headlights and driving around in low-beam be it in any part of the day.

The surge when pass function is used when headlights are OFF, shortens the life of the bulb hence I prefer having then ON always.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:36   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Now while you note that the difference is night and day, you should consider looking at XB 55W Ballasts and XB 5500K from Morimoto. You will then see the difference is "day-and-twice as bright a day". The 55W ballast will run the standard bulbs at 50W, and color shift will cause light to be yellow-ish. Hence recommend to get 5500K bulbs, which will give 4500K output with the 55W ballast. Still slightly whiter than OEM 35W which is 41-4200K. You will not regret this mod, and it only costs 18K for this set up.
The bulb is a D3S bulb which has ballast built in. I am not in favour of 55W HID bulbs for the heat.

Also when you flash to pass it is a cold start and with 55W there will be a big surge. Life of bulb will be really bad vs the cost spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

You are right the HID for passing will not be fully warmed up. The flash will be around 40% bright and will generate huge surge for the quick pass.

The more you use the flash to pass the less life of the bulb.

This is the bulb used:

https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto...lbs?quantity=1

The ballast is part of bulb so if you pop the bulb it's ~$100

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th September 2020 at 11:57. Reason: B2B
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed