Team-BHP - GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   GT'ing around in my VW Polo TSI UPDATE: Let there be LIGHT! Halogen to BiXenon conversion! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/163353-gting-around-my-vw-polo-tsi-update-let-there-light-halogen-bixenon-conversion-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 4553229)
UPDATE:

As you can see, there seems to be a rough edge in the aluminum bit at the bottom, and it's really messing with my OCD. I wanted to buy one more but the item is not available in stock.

I guess I may have gotten a piece from the last batch. Sigh. I suppose it's the price you pay for buying Chinese parts from Aliexpress. All that's left to see now is just how long the part lasts.

I too wanted to buy this but noticed it was out of stock. Contacted the seller GodAutoLife and he has mentioned that his store will be back operational by March 7 with the switch in stock. Hope that helps.

Quote:

The engine sounds buzzy at low revs and raspy as the revs climb. It really snarls now, as you apply throttle. And a lot of that has to do with not just the remap and the larger and less-restricitve air box, but also the new functional air channel behind the grille, I suspect.

Would you recommend the Euro spec air channel and K&N 57S 9505 Air-box intake kit on a stock GT for better airflow? Also would you mind mentioning the price and if the installation is plug and play?

Many thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4ch (Post 4553378)
I too wanted to buy this but noticed it was out of stock. Contacted the seller GodAutoLife and he has mentioned that his store will be back operational by March 7 with the switch in stock. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4ch (Post 4553378)
Would you recommend the Euro spec air channel and K&N 57S 9505 Air-box intake kit on a stock GT for better airflow? Also would you mind mentioning the price and if the installation is plug and play?

Many thanks.

I would definitely recommend the 57S airbox over the stock airbox as it is a lot less restrictive and the filter is at least 30% larger. The stock airbox is small and has a massive flap that sits next to the filter element. No such flap exists in the K&N 57S.

However, it's pretty expensive. A new 57S will set you back at least 20k if not more. The USA website lists it for 10k (post conversion) or so if I'm not wrong, but then you will have to deal with shipping and customs.

A more cost effective option would be to change just the filter element and remove the flap in the stock airbox with a hacksaw. The benefits should be similar.

Please note though, that without the Euro-spec air duct, there will be no benefits from the K&N OE filter / 57S airbox. The air duct is a must!

Quote:

UPDATE:

As you can see, there seems to be a rough edge in the aluminum bit at the bottom, and it's really messing with my OCD. I wanted to buy one more but the item is not available in stock.

A bonus feature of the switch is the coming-home function.

Also, while the switch works well, it is a little inconsistent (it took more than a few seconds once or twice to switch on) and sometimes the coming-home function doesn't work. Oh, and it got pretty confused during sun set, as it randomly switched off and then turned itself back on again. Does anyone have any tips for configuration?

Damn - can't 'unsee' the rough edge. Complain to the seller - usually you get a few dollars off - not that it helps. Also, mine doesn't get confused. So try adjusting the sensitivity to max - the seller would've sent across a manual or a PDF document, if not mail him. You can also adjust the duration of coming home/leaving home lights and a few other things I never bothered to check.

Quote:

6) The brakes do the job of stopping the car, but the non-responsive pedal especially the top 40% of the brake pedal's travel, is highly disconcerting, not to mention that at times the brakes can feel a bit grabby when they do bite. There is a fix for this and it's definitely a priority in my list of potential future modifications.
Did you play around with Brake Assist settings in VCDS/VAS? Also try putting XDS to max. Uses up brakes, but corners a bit better.

Quote:

8) I do still feel the lack of power in the top of the rev band, particularly above 5000 RPM. You really don't need to rev it out to extract maximum power, but some top end poke would have been nice. I believe this can be achieved by swapping out the exhaust for a less restrictive one and applying the Stage-2 map.
Don't bother - this is the older EA111 SOHC 8 valve, not the EA211 DOHC 16 valve, which has a much better top end. The remap in my case (Pete's V3) made it a bit better until 5500 rpm, but the operating word is 'bit'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 4553431)
Please note though, that without the Euro-spec air duct, there will be no benefits from the K&N OE filter / 57S airbox. The air duct is a must!

Suhaas, could we just use the Euro spec air duct instead of the current one? Is it plug and play? Boodmo's stocking it for around Rs.1000/-, don't mind trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_himan (Post 4560518)
Damn - can't 'unsee' the rough edge. Complain to the seller

Tell me about it!

But I see no point complaining. A friend wanted something similar, so when it comes in stock again I'll pick up two. Hopefully I'll get a good piece 2nd time round.

I did not receive any PDF or instructions, strangely. Had to look up the installation process on YouTube to figure it out.

Quote:

Did you play around with Brake Assist settings in VCDS/VAS? Also try putting XDS to max. Uses up brakes, but corners a bit better.
Yes, I did! About a month into delivery, nearly 4 years ago.

Quote:

Don't bother - this is the older EA111 SOHC 8 valve, not the EA211 DOHC 16 valve, which has a much better top end. The remap in my case (Pete's V3) made it a bit better until 5500 rpm, but the operating word is 'bit'.
Yeah, I've decided against Stage 2, in the interest of longevity and reliability. :)

Quote:

Suhaas, could we just use the Euro spec air duct instead of the current one? Is it plug and play? Boodmo's stocking it for around Rs.1000/-, don't mind trying.
You absolutely must get the part. I noticed a huge difference, with the new air box and air duct. The top-of-the-pedal response has definitely improved and now, while accelerating close to walls or in an underpass, you can hear a bit of the induction sound coming through and I believe that's solely due to the open duct drawing air into the air box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 4553431)

A more cost effective option would be to change just the filter element and remove the flap in the stock airbox with a hacksaw. The benefits should be similar.

Thanks for the info!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 4560578)
You absolutely must get the part. I noticed a huge difference, with the new air box and air duct. The top-of-the-pedal response has definitely improved and now, while accelerating close to walls or in an underpass, you can hear a bit of the induction sound coming through and I believe that's solely due to the open duct drawing air into the air box.

Just to clarify, I have a stock filter, stock air box and stock air duct. Would changing just the stock air duct to the euro spec one make a difference? Is it plug and play?

Thanks again for all the info. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4ch (Post 4560909)
Just to clarify, I have a stock filter, stock air box and stock air duct. Would changing just the stock air duct to the euro spec one make a difference? Is it plug and play?

Thanks again for all the info. :)

The euro spec air duct will merely open up the plug and allow air to flow freely and straight into your airbox.

Under most circumstances, it should suffice, but our dusty conditions will render your stock paper air filter completely clogged in no time.

Therefore, I would suggest you swap the stock filter with a K&N OE replacement filter, and while doing that you could also remove the plastic flap in the airbox that acts as a restriction. (This can be done by cutting it with a hacksaw.) Or you could leave the flap alone. But the K&N replacement filter along with the euro spec air duct will make a huge difference and reduce restrictions that have been deliberately put in place by VW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 4560941)
The euro spec air duct will merely open up the plug and allow air to flow freely and straight into your airbox.

Under most circumstances, it should suffice, but our dusty conditions will render your stock paper air filter completely clogged in no time.

But the K&N replacement filter along with the euro spec air duct will make a huge difference and reduce restrictions that have been deliberately put in place by VW.

Hi Suhaas, thanks for the clarification. I'm doing it with the stock filter too - just placed an order. I anyway change the filter every 6 months. Should hopefully be OK.

FYI - from my personal experience - my K&N Conical in a previous car was good for 4-5 months. Beyond that the filter became extremely clogged and I hadn't realized the same until a stock air filter car went past. Similar case with some modded intake Polo GT TSIs in Mumbai - my stock intake car was more responsive after a few months. So, while the rewards are greater when new, they tend to deteriorate much faster than stock air filters and a shocking amount of dirt comes out - so, please do diligently maintain 6 monthly cleaning intervals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_himan (Post 4561012)
FYI - from my personal experience - my K&N Conical in a previous car was good for 4-5 months. Beyond that the filter became extremely clogged and I hadn't realized the same until a stock air filter car went past. Similar case with some modded intake Polo GT TSIs in Mumbai - my stock intake car was more responsive after a few months. So, while the rewards are greater when new, they tend to deteriorate much faster than stock air filters and a shocking amount of dirt comes out - so, please do diligently maintain 6 monthly cleaning intervals.

The K&N Conical filters are usually exposed to the engine bay. This means (a) the filter draws hot air from the engine bay, and (b) it's exposed to the elements so it's bound to get clogged up with dust and other particles. Conical filters are never recommended as they are actually counter productive and don't serve the intended purpose. Even short ram intakes with heat-shields are not ideal, given the kind of ambient temperatures we deal with.

Periodic service of the filter is essential, yes. A quick cleaning every 6 months and maybe even a touch of oil should keep it in good nick.

Try BMC? I've heard good things about those filters and their compatibility with VW cars.

UPDATE:

With my Continental MC5 tyres having gotten hard after having done nearly 30k in 4 years, I was looking for an excuse to change tyres, and I began toying with the idea of changing the wheels too.

The new Polos with OE 16" wheels caught my fancy. I'm a huge sucker for the OE look, and began to hunt down a set of these 16" wheels. In fact, a friend and forum member put me in touch with a guy from Goa who was looking to swap his yet-to-be-delivered 2019 Polo GT TSI's stock 16" gun metal wheels with aftermarket 17" wheels.

I pounced on him and chewed his brains for a good two months while he dilly dallied on the wheels. To be fair to him, the VW dealer in Goa was non-commital on a delivery date, and this frustrated our friend (and me) to no end, understandably.

Giving up on that prospect, I found the same 16" OE wheels in silver, on sale on OLX. But the seller was quoting unreasonable prices. Unhappy, I waited for another set of the gun-metal 16" to come my way. I had a few leads, but some of them were cold.

And then Vidyut, who has recently taken to Instagram like a teenage girl in 2013, mentioned that Madhus has a set of 16" BBS SR wheels on sale and are offering a good deal on them.

I immediately contacted Madhus and struck a deal for the BBS wheels and Michelin PS4 (205/50 R16) on Thursday.

Being extremely busy with work, I knew that a visit to Madhus would take a few hours, so I requested Mohsin to mount the tyres and get them balanced and ready for a F1 pit stop tyre change on my car. :D

Took my car to Madhus during lunch and got the wheels / tyres fitted to the car in record time. Chatted with Nikhil for a bit, and then took a few photographs of both our cars.

Needless to say, the wheels and tyres were eye-wateringly expensive and has inadvertently set back a few modifications I had planned for the car by a couple of months, if not more. With this, I have literally cleaned up my bank account, but I have never felt this good doing it. :D

The car is coming together nicely, and by the end of the month it should be all set for the photoshoot planned with it.

Meanwhile, here are a few pictures of the car:

EDIT: Pictures simply don't do the wheels any justice at all. You've got to see it in person to believe it. The way the spokes curve outward from the rim and flow into the center is extremely hard to capture on lens, not to mention the Himalaya Grey finish that is accentuated by direct sunlight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 4561280)
Meanwhile, here are a few pictures of the car:

EDIT: Pictures simply don't do the wheels any justice at all. You've got to see it in person to believe it. The way the spokes curve outward from the rim and flow into the center is extremely hard to capture on lens, not to mention the Himalaya Grey finish that is accentuated by direct sunlight.

The wheels look damn sweet. Im probably going to Photoshop these on my car, Carbon Steel colour to see how they look.

And get rid of the GT TSI decal from the pillar please :D

Saw this car in the club last night. It is no longer looks like a yummy mummy wagon. Considering it was your wife's birthday, the cool wheels made up for the less extravagant present, I guess!

@suhaas307, both your and Nikhil's cars look hot! Those alloy wheels are really awesome! Great choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 4561308)
The wheels look damn sweet. Im probably going to Photoshop these on my car, Carbon Steel colour to see how they look.

I would say the BBS SR in Volcano Grey finish (on Nikhil's blue Octavia vRS) would suit your Carbon GT TSI a lot better. The Himalaya Grey would make the whole package look way too grey and dreary. Something to think about *wink*

Quote:

And get rid of the GT TSI decal from the pillar please :D
In due course! *Wink*

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4561311)
Saw this car in the club last night. It is no longer looks like a yummy mummy wagon. Considering it was your wife's birthday, the cool wheels made up for the less extravagant present, I guess!

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 4561354)
@suhaas307, both your and Nikhil's cars look hot! Those alloy wheels are really awesome! Great choice.

Thank you very much! *Thumbs up*

Oh Boy clap:

These are some seriously delicious looking wheels.

They look absolutely fantastic and really enhance the looks of the Polo.

Congratulations on a great buy!

picking alloys for a car is always a tough task but you've hit the ball out of the park with this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_himan (Post 4561012)
Hi Suhaas, thanks for the clarification. I'm doing it with the stock filter too - just placed an order. I anyway change the filter every 6 months. Should hopefully be OK.

Would you mind sharing the part number for the euro spec air duct, price and where you got it from?

Many thanks mate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redline6800 (Post 4561529)
Oh Boy clap:

These are some seriously delicious looking wheels.

They look absolutely fantastic and really enhance the looks of the Polo.

Congratulations on a great buy!

picking alloys for a car is always a tough task but you've hit the ball out of the park with this one.

Thank you, really appreciate it! :thumbs up

Agreed, it's an absolute nightmare choosing the right wheels. In fact, it's one of the reasons I would have been content with the no-frills OEM 16" wheels in the new Polos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4ch (Post 4561584)
Would you mind sharing the part number for the euro spec air duct, price and where you got it from?

Many thanks mate.

Part Number: 1T0805971

Price: Around 1000-1200 bucks.

Available at any authorized VW workshop. I would suggest you call them first and ask for availability. Place the order over the phone and pay them an advance. The part should take a couple of days. You will need to pick it up from the workshop.