Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 15:03   #166
BHPian

re: My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update

Hey Tornio,

Good and detailed Writeup, I too own a 2016 model AMT and can vouch for the ease of driveability in the city, havent taken it out on Highways yet since my 2011 City does all that duty.

I went through the entire thread and could not verify if you have been able to change the IRVM mirror yet or still using the stock unit,

I can confirm that earlier WagonR's IRVM is a straight fit in K10-AMT and I got mine changed within first 2 weeks of purchase.

If not already done, pls order a new one from any MASS, I believe the cost is approx. 700 + GST.
shantanumishra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 13:57   #167
BHPian

re: My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update

56,000kms and new tyres:
The car is closing in on 56,000kms and ownership so far has been enjoyable, eventless and trouble free. The K10 engine and the AMT system continue to do their daily chore of gobbling up traffic in a reliable and efficient manner. The city mileage continues to hover around 15.5kmpl with unleaded petrol.

After some research and around 53,000kms I replaced the stock Bridgestone S322 with MRF ZLX. The car is driven 95% of the time inside the city and my daily commute route has Metro rail construction, several flyover constructions, cable laying works, road extension works and metro water pipeline works and so I encounter broken roads, no roads, construction debris and route diversions into narrow streets. So my tyre requirements were clear with just two needs: comfortable ride over bad roads and to avoid punctures. Two of the stock Bridgestones had formed a sidewall bulge after hitting a bad pothole at 60kmph so I had to find the replacement tyres soon. Tyre upsize was not an option because the alloy wheel’s negative offset did not permit enough room in the wheel well. A tyre with strong sidewall without compromising much on ride quality and low tyre noise was something I wanted and so the hunt for new tyres began.

I visited one of the biggest tyre shop in Chennai, BM LAL Bros, to check my options in 155/65R13. The seller rated Continental CC5 and Michelin XM2 above Yokohama Earth-1. According to him the CC5 performs better than Earth-1 in terms of road noise, cornering grip and in wet roads. He rated both of them equal in durability and side wall strength. In terms of sidewall strength, he rated the Bridgestone S322 on top. I explained my requirements and said that I will go for the Yoko’s, he insisted that I should consider either CC5 or ZLX. According to him the ZLX has good sidewall strength and noise control and more durable for Indian road conditions but grip is a step down. We have the Goodyear Duraplus in our Ertiga and they are durable but way too noisy.

Some of the options available for 155/65R13:
  • MRF ZLX Rs2600
  • Falken Sincera 835 Rs3000
  • Goodyear Duraplus Rs3000
  • Yokohama Earth-1 Rs3200
  • Continental CC5 Rs3250
  • Bridgestone B290 Rs3250
  • Michelin XM2 Rs3550

I took a day to decide between CC5 and ZLX and checked with few other retailers for best price and tyre’s manufacturing date and also going through TeamBhp reviews on CC5 and ZLX. Finally went ahead with the MRF and after driving 3000kms with the new tyres I am impressed with the ZLX. From the beginning of this ownership report I have mentioned many times about the harsh ride quality on broken roads in the Alto and the ZLX tyres have improved the ride quality by a noticeable margin. Firstly, compared to the Bridgestone S322 the ZLX is quieter, the reduction of road noise inside the cabin is evident and secondly, the ride is now much better on broken roads. In the Bridgestones I could easily feel the road surface and small stones on the steering wheel and seat but with the ZLX though it feels cushioned, the ride feels soft. Will update on hard braking and wet road performance as I put on more miles. I think the ZLX truly stands to its tag line ‘Comfort made more comfortable’.

56,000kms and going strong.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20171015_114134027_hdr.jpg

Multiple lateral grooves design to aide comfort and reduce tyre noise.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20170923_154130200.jpg

"Comfort Made More Comfortable". So far so good.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20170923_154158574.jpg

Running with 35psi stock tyre pressure.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20171008_141402661.jpg

Fancy side wall design.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20171008_141411084.jpg

Somewhere in the Chennai-Bangalore highway.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20171004_075645861.jpg

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20171008_141159408.jpg
Torino is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 23:05   #168
BHPian

Re: My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 59,000 km update

The car has crossed 59,000kms of tarmac crunching with no major complaints so far.

Disc brake caliper pin change:
At around 57,000Kms both the front wheels were making noise when going over rough roads and small potholes. At first I thought the suspension bushes had worn out and needs replacement. I visited the MASS centre and explained the problem and the Service Advisor straight away identified it as worn out caliper pin noise. To confirm his reasoning he simply banged the front tyre with his bare hand and it sounded like as if the wheel was not bolted on properly. The sliding pins have worn out and become loose due to worn out pin housing in the brake caliper assembly and replacing the pins will temporarily arrest the noise for another 2000-3000kms after which the noise will reappear and the only solution is to replace the caliper assembly after which it will last for another 50000kms in the Alto. I went ahead with the sliding pin replacement and car was handed back to me in 40mins.

The worn out caliper pins.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-pin.jpg

New wipers:
The MGP wipers blades lasted for almost 1.5 years and the replacement was overdue for some time now. The driver side wiper is 21 inch and passenger side wiper is 13 inch and unfortunately I couldn’t find any Bosch or 3M brand in this size on Amazon.in. I came across Autofy frameless wiper blades for Rs280 a pair and ordered them right away since I didn’t want to drive with the worn out wipers any longer. The quality and finish of these wipers look good and the fit is perfect and easy to install. Initial impressions are good, let’s see how long it lasts.

These aftermarket frameless wiper blades fit perfectly.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-wiper1.jpg

Initial impressions are good.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-wiper2.jpg
Torino is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 19:14   #169
BHPian

60,000kms update:
The car crossed 60,000 kms in slightly over 2.5 years of ownership and it has been absolute fun driving the car. So far the car has been a very reliable and efficient daily driver covering a little over 50kms every day inside the city of Chennai. Overall the car has aged well for an entry level Maruti driven on Chennai city’s excellent pothole roads, broken roads and no roads on my daily commute route. Apart from a couple of squeaks from the plastic panels inside the cabin the car is holding on rather well inside and out.

Crossed 60,000 kms in slightly over 2.5 years of ownership
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-speedo-60k.jpg

The MRF ZLX tyres are now 7000kms old and they are highly underrated for their actual snob value. These ZLX offer cushioned ride and low tyre noise, no more bone jarring ride and suspension crashing sound like before. The ZLX offers decent grip in both wet roads and during panic braking situation which I think is similar to previous Bridgestone S322’s. The car is a breeze to drive in congested and narrow roads with its excellent all-round visibility and compact dimensions. The fuel efficiency has been consistent since day one and it hovers around 15.5kmpl in the city and in my recent Chennai-Bangalore-Chennai drive it was 18.2kmpl while maintaining 110-130kmph in open roads. The best mileage I got so far is slightly over 16 kmpl in the city and 20 kmpl in the highway. All the fuel efficiency figures are calculated on tankful to tankful basis.

The exterior paint quality is good and hasn't lost its sheen.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-front-60k.jpg

The AMT gearbox has been reliable and trouble free so far. No warning lights, no false shifts and no judder. The AMT is doing a great job in making timely and smooth gear shifts without missing a shift or getting confused. Sometimes there is a slight jerk while coasting in 2nd gear. As long as you are gentle with the accelerator pedal the drive is smooth and passengers will not be able to feel the gear shifts happening. Slot the gear lever into M mode and reduce a couple of gears or three and stomp the accelerator pedal when you want to pull away from traffic or over take a fast moving vehicle. The AMT does excellent rev matching when downshifting in M mode. Overall, the gear shift quality is same as it was on day one. The creep function works like a charm on flat surfaces in both forward and reverse gears. On the slope, if you stop using the foot brake, the car will creep forward as you release the foot brake slooowly. But it doesn't creep when you start from a hand brake stop and you need use hand brake starts in this situation. Also the creep function is disabled if the driver door is open.

The Alto K10 can go fast, the AMT only makes things better.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-front-2-60k.jpg

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-rear-2-60k.jpg

The K10 engine is where all the fun is. All day triple digit speeds on highway? No sweat! Surprise some bigger cars? Oh yeah! Upshift near redline? Sure thing! Drive hard and still get 14kmpl? No problem! The engine never feels strained. Picking up speed is never an issue, all you need to do is downshift a gear or two in M mode and stomp the accelerator pedal. For me the Alto K10 is easily one of the most fun to drive car available in the market today cause it sets your adrenaline pumping in no time and there is so much fun when you are able to exploit the car’s full potential and still go fast. With such a lively petrol engine and low kerb weight the car feels very responsive and is so much fun and fast to drive when driven enthusiastically on the straights and winding ghats. The car demands a lot of driver involvement- you have to work hard to keep the car in line at speeds, while braking hard and on fast corners. The car keeps you so much involved that at the end of a spirited drive it puts a wide grin on your face or even a smug face.

60,000kms service update.
The service was done at the Perfect Maruti care MASS in RA Puram Chennai. I got the previous 50,000kms service done here and I was happy with their service quality and location. 60,000kms service is a major service so all the fluids were replaced except gearbox oil. Even this time I opted for Mobil1 0W40 fully synthetic oil cause for me the engine feels more free revving compared to Castrol. The disc brake pads have enough life to go beyond 70,000kms with ease. Apart from regular service I asked them to clean the AC blower inlet since the blower was making noise due to accumulation of leaves and twigs. The car was serviced and handed over to me clean, neat and tidy.

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-60k-bill.jpg
Old 19th January 2018, 20:23   #170

Hello Torino

Good to know that your K10 AMT is continuing to keep you happy. Most of them who initially had good impressions on the K10 AMT had started to put it in a bad light due to its obvious short comings. In fact, there had been times when I too had mixed feelings about my choice of buying this car. But as we grew together, my expectations on this machine had become reasonable, so that there are no more shocking surprises. Key reason for the mixed feelings is because of my previous car, the Baleno 1.6. Spoilt by its aggressive engine, the revv-happy motor, the humongous torque right from the bottom of the rev range are few things that I terribly miss in the K10. But the K10 AMT is a not so bad either like others complain. Its a king in its own castle.

I had couple of times spotted you and your car on the Tambaram-Velacherry road, most often from the camp road stretch until the Christ king school. Yes, your car is that famous. But hadn't got a chance to spot and wave at you thinking I might leave you perplexed, as we never met before. Secondly, that's the time I rush on my bike to office so had to go over you. Will stop by to meet you sometime soon, if time permits for you and me.

Coming to the recent additions on your car, the MRFs are known for their value for money proposition but I feel like its really good that it betters out the stock Bridgestones on drive comfort. Can you please confirm there is significant improvement in ride quality due to your new set of tyres because the bone jarring feel inside the cabin on rough roads is something I cant really live with. Apart from that, I am one of the fan following your posts on the K10 and my best wishes that it keeps serving you for miles ahead. Keep updating your ownership report. Someday our concerns might be addressed in the upcoming facelift or the successor versions by Maruti engineers.

Just a few questions from my part.
  • Your car paint looks spic and span. Do you wax your car any often? Can you recommend some good car spa in Chennai that does the cleaning, polishing and waxing at reasonable rates?
  • I have read your audio upgrade thread and your plans to install an amplifier and powerful speakers. Since the car is primarily supported by an electro-hydraulic clutch, I feel the power hungry amps, bulbs and other electrical equipment might put more load on the alternator or interfere with the clutch actuator mechanism. What are your views on this?
  • Did you splice any wires to install the rear speakers? Will not splicing the wires void warranty? Where can I source the connector for powering rear speakers?
  • Had a palm size dent on the lower front door panel, with paint removal due to my minor negligence. Do you know any skilled tinker around tambaram, to get the dent pushed out and repainted?
  • Due to lack of proper insulation, there is more noise seeping inside the cabin. Whats your opinion about the 3M underbody insulation? Is it any good in reducing the noise?

Thank you in advance and accolades on your ownership report.

Last edited by Wanderlust89 : 19th January 2018 at 20:46.
Wanderlust89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 15:59   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust89 View Post
Key reason for the mixed feelings is because of my previous car, the Baleno 1.6. Spoilt by its aggressive engine, the revv-happy motor, the humongous torque right from the bottom of the rev range are few things that I terribly miss in the K10. But the K10 AMT is a not so bad either like others complain. Its a king in its own castle.
Hi Wanderlust89. Rightly said. It takes some time, may be 5000kms, to understand how the AMT shifts and how it puts the power down in different driving conditions. Once that is done then driving the AMT feels right at home. Yes there is no comparison between the Baleno 1.6 and K10 but the K10 can be surprisingly quick once you are off the line and I love the K10's performance.

Quote:
I had couple of times spotted you...Will stop by to meet you sometime soon, if time permits for you and me.
Sure thing. Its always nice to meet like minded people.

Quote:
Coming to the recent additions on your car, the MRFs are known for their value for money proposition but I feel like its really good that it betters out the stock Bridgestones on drive comfort. Can you please confirm there is significant improvement in ride quality due to your new set of tyres because the bone jarring feel inside the cabin on rough roads is something I cant really live with.
The MRF ZLX's have done approx 10,000kms so far and I can straightaway say that the ZLX offers noticeably better ride on broken roads and lower road noise compared to the stock Bridgestone S322. The difference is evident when driving on the cement road starting from Camproad towards Bharath University and the awful Velachery flyover. Now there is no bone jarring ride on small potholes and slightly rough roads. Also I had few instances of going over bad pot holes at speeds and I can say that the ZLX has stronger sidewall as well. Two of the Bridgestones got small bulge on the side wall under similar situation. I'd say the MRF ZLX is a very good option if your requirement is ride comfort and durability.

Quote:
[*]Your car paint looks spic and span. Do you wax your car any often? Can you recommend some good car spa in Chennai that does the cleaning, polishing and waxing at reasonable rates?
Thank you. I use microfiber cloth to wipe the dust off the car every morning and use water+microfiber cloth once or twice a week. I have never tried wax or spa so far. As long as there is minimal scratches on the body it is easy to make the paint shine on the K10.

Quote:
[*]I have read your audio upgrade thread and your plans to install an amplifier and powerful speakers. Since the car is primarily supported by an electro-hydraulic clutch, I feel the power hungry amps, bulbs and other electrical equipment might put more load on the alternator or interfere with the clutch actuator mechanism. What are your views on this?
My setup will be low spec and basic with front components+tweeters, rear coaxials, 4 channel amplifier and a touch screen HU for clean decent output, I am not a fan of loud, heavy bass and subwoofer. So I think this setup will not have any significant effect on other electricals. Last week I got myself a Blaupunkt Saint Louis 350 touch screen HU, will get it fixed in the upcoming weekend.

Quote:
[*]Did you splice any wires to install the rear speakers? Will not splicing the wires void warranty? Where can I source the connector for powering rear speakers?
The stock head unit has separate pins for connecting rear speaker so wire splicing is not necessary. The accessory shop where I got the speakers fitted had spare connectors with them. You can also check this post from vsathyap about rear speaker install. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3857273

Quote:
[*]Had a palm size dent on the lower front door panel, with paint removal due to my minor negligence. Do you know any skilled tinker around tambaram, to get the dent pushed out and repainted?
Sorry I don't know any good shop.

Quote:
[*]Due to lack of proper insulation, there is more noise seeping inside the cabin. Whats your opinion about the 3M underbody insulation? Is it any good in reducing the noise?
Improving cabin insulation for the Alto K10 will not be easy because the road noise comes in from everywhere and you know why. Underbody coating will have a very minimal or no effect in improving cabin noise. I'd suggest you to upgrade the music system to mask the cabin noise.

Old 24th January 2018, 17:02   #172
BHPian

New Battery

The stock SF Sonic battery gave up after 2 years 10 months and 64,000kms which I think is decent. I was lucky it cranked for the one last time after several failed attempts and did not leave me stranded and being an AMT I cannot push start the car. Since it was late evening most of the shops were closed and I was on way to a dinner party, I kept driving towards the destination looking out for battery shops and luckily I found one with Amaron in stock on the Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam Radial road. I got the Amaron HiLife FLO 40B20L for Rs 4000 after exchanging the old battery for Rs 500. I am not sure if the price was right and all I could bargain was Rs 200. Amaron HiLife FLO has 48 months warranty (24 months free warranty and 24 months pro-rata warranty).

Hope it stands up to its tag line, 'Lasts long. Really long'.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20180124_100611802.jpg

Quick check on the manufacturing date and it says 12/17.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20180124_100617102.jpg
Old 25th January 2018, 13:11   #173
BHPian

Re: New Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
The car crossed 60,000 kms in slightly over 2.5 years of ownership and it has been absolute fun driving the car. So far the car has been a very reliable and efficient daily driver covering a little over 50kms every day inside the city of Chennai. Overall the car has aged well for an entry level Maruti driven on Chennai city’s excellent pothole roads, broken roads and no roads on my daily commute route.
Congrats on completing 60,000km with the Alto K10, that too only in 2.5 years. I don't think there are many Alto K10 AMTs in India that have clocked so much km. How is the body holding up? (mainly w.r.t rattles). We have a 2015 Celerio AMT in our family (my uncle owns her) which has done around 20k kilometers, unluckily for us she has the famous problem of juddering when starting off. How is it in your car?
Quote:
The stock SF Sonic battery gave up after 2 years 10 months and 64,000kms which I think is decent. I found one with Amaron in stock on the Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam Radial road. I got the Amaron HiLife FLO 40B20L for Rs 4000 after exchanging the old battery for Rs 500.
In 2016 I had to get the battery of my 01 Zen replaced (Zen & Alto have the same battery), I have fitted one from Exide with 2 years warranty for Rs 2500 (after exchanging the old battery). Anyways Amaron batteries are supposedly better than the Exide ones & you got warranty for 48 months. So I think the price you paid is fair enough.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 08:54   #174
BHPian

Re: New Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Congrats on completing 60,000km with the Alto K10, that too only in 2.5 years. I don't think there are many Alto K10 AMTs in India that have clocked so much km. How is the body holding up? (mainly w.r.t rattles). We have a 2015 Celerio AMT in our family (my uncle owns her) which has done around 20k kilometers, unluckily for us she has the famous problem of juddering when starting off. How is it in your car?
Hi chiranjitp. There are couple of rattles/squeaks cropping up from inside the cabin when going over rough roads. One from under the dashboard near the glove box and the other from the rear left door's interior plastic panel. Previously the front left door squeaked, loosening and tightening the bolts solved solved the issue. The Alto's light weight 'superleggera' doors are the first to rattle/squeak on the car with time and usage. Apart from this the car is holding up nicely. So far there hasn't been any serious judder issue, the car gets off the line smooth 99% of the time in both traffic and on flyovers and I think being gentle with the accelerator while starting off is the key here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
In 2016 I had to get the battery of my 01 Zen replaced (Zen & Alto have the same battery), I have fitted one from Exide with 2 years warranty for Rs 2500 (after exchanging the old battery). Anyways Amaron batteries are supposedly better than the Exide ones & you got warranty for 48 months. So I think the price you paid is fair enough.
Wow, that's almost half the price you paid for the Exide. Hope the price I paid was at least reasonable. I will try and check with other shops to get the average price here.
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 16:15   #175
BHPian

Hi Torino,

In my K10, the rattle from behind the glovebox turned out to be the A/C vent door operating cable that had come off it's clip mounts. It took a very patient SA in Maruti's own MSM and a few valuable minutes of his time to identify and fix it back by hand.

As for the rear left door trim rattle, that had been there in my F8 Alto for quite some time and I think it's fixed now.

Cheers,

Regards,
Abhishek.
satanic_dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 17:29   #176
BANNED

Quote:
The MGP wipers blades lasted for almost 1.5 years and the replacement was overdue for some time now. The driver side wiper is 21 inch and passenger side wiper is 13 inch
Got the wipers changed on my K10 AMT to OEM Syndicate ones purchased from MGP outlet. Here are the part numbers:

Drivers side: 38340M53M01
Passengers side: 38350M53M01

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20180404_1755151024x1820_01.jpg

Paid ₹558 IIRC for the set.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 16:03   #177
BHPian

Hi All,

3 years and 68,000kms update:
The month of April marks the completion of the third year ownership with my little ‘Go-Kart’. So far it has been a wonderful ownership experience with the convenience of AMT, spirited engine performance and overall reliability. I was expecting the car to cross 70,000 kms by this time but unfortunately it did not happen due to low usage in the last few months. The odometer now stands at just over 68,000 kms and overall the car is going great.

Life with the AMT:
Driving the AMT is all about accelerator modulation. Being gentle with the accelerator pedal can reduce the jerks to its bare minimum and makes the overall AMT experience rather smooth. Over time the AMT ECU learns from your driving style and adapts itself to offer you a comfortable drive. At 68,000 kms, the AMT unit is doing its duties as it should and there are no issues to report. The shifts are seamless and consistent without any false shifts or warning lights. There is occasional head-nod when starting off after disengaging the hand brake, but it doesn’t spoil the driving experience. Getting off the line and crawling in traffic is taken care by the creep mode. 95% of my driving is done in D mode and it is all you will ever need if you are a sedate driver. The M mode is used in situations where you want to leave the traffic behind and quick overtakes. The engine packs quite a punch and can surprise bigger cars with its brisk acceleration especially in the first two gears. I often have my share of fun in M mode and the engine feels ever so happy and buzzes all the way to the 6000rpm redline with no complaints. In short, it is so much fun to rev this engine.

Fuel Efficiency:
The last 8,000kms were done inside the city amidst the usual slow moving traffic and broken roads. The average fuel efficiency has been consistent and hovers around 16kmpl on every tankful of BP unleaded petrol with 100% AC. The maximum and minimum fuel mileage I have got inside the city with 100% AC are 17kmpl and 15kmpl.

Durability and Build:
Built quality wise, the return spring in the driver door handle gave away and it was replaced with new handle from MGP for Rs128. There are couple of squeaks coming from the left doors which I will get it fixed in the upcoming service. The ORVMs and bumpers are sturdy enough to withstand hits from careless motorcyclists in crawling traffic. The plastics inside the cabin are hard wearing and will last a life time. Sound insulation inside the cabin is the only area where the Alto K10 fares poorly thanks to the lack of insulation material. The rubber engine mounts need replacement, there is a noticeable vibration from the engine bay at idle with the AC ON. Even though the rubber mount does not have any visual wear, the service advisor confirmed that it needs replacement.

Tyres:
The MRF ZLX tyres are now 15,000kms old and they are living up to their name in being comfortable and rugged. In terms of comfort, the tyre noise is almost non-existent and the jittery ride over uneven roads is now bearable. I usually keep 35psi all around but 33psi offers the best ride quality without compromising mileage.

Audio Upgrade:
I upgraded the stock head unit to Blaupunkt Saint Louis 350 mainly for the touch screen unit’s snob value and better sound output. The SL350 has couple of neat features such as Bluetooth and PhoneLink. The new HU along with the existing 6 speaker set up has significantly improved the overall music experience inside the cabin. You can read more about the installation and features in here.

Current odometer reading.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_0700.jpg

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_0702.jpg

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_0709.jpg

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_0737.jpg

Blaupunkt Saint Louis 350 HU.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20180324_140556440_hdr.jpg

Display is bright enough for daytime usage.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_20180324_140059047_hdr.jpg
Torino is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 16:13   #178
BHPian

Quote:
At around 57,000Kms both the front wheels were making noise when going over rough roads and small potholes.
Hey Torino, Thanks for this input. My ~10 K run K10 AMT makes similar sound while going over broken roads.

Will get it checked for worn out caliper housing.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 9th May 2018 at 16:17.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 14:11   #179
BHPian

70,000kms update:
The car crossed 70,000kms in 3 years and 3 months and it goes about doing its business as usual with no complaints to report. The AMT unit continues to be efficient, reliable and does a good job in engaging smooth and timely shifts as it makes life a lot easier in traffic. There are no signs of clutch wear or slippage and I have no idea how long the clutch will last in the K10 AMT. Fuel efficiency numbers are consistent at round 15.5kmpl inside the city with 100% AC when driven in D mode. For an average city commuter the M mode is not really necessary since the D mode does a perfect job. For me the M mode is rarely used except for instances where I have to pull away from traffic or to have some fun cutting through traffic. The engine is something that never ceases to amaze me with its cracker of a performance and rev friendly nature. The MRF ZLX are now 15,000kms old and tends to squeal during quick U-turns which adds to the fun factor but the great thing is they offer excellent ride comfort and the tyre noise is almost non-existent.

70,000kms/9th periodic maintenance service:
When the odometer reading was around 69,800kms I gave the car for service at Perfect Maruti MASS in RA Puram, Chennai. I left my car at 10.00am and explained about the air filter and brakes issue and also asked for 0W20 for which I was pointed towards the MGO oil barrels they had in stock. The service manager updated me over phone about the condition of brakes and brake cylinder assembly. The service was done and all my queries were attended and got the car back neat and clean at 5.00pm. Apart from the usual service the Air Filter Cover assembly and Rear Brake Cylinder Assembly were replaced. The Air Filter Assembly broke near its bolt fixture and started to rattle when in idle. According to the service manager this is common in cars with the K10 engine and it breaks due to engine vibration. The car still runs on factory brake pads and shoes which I thought was too long already since the brakes in automatic cars don't last this long and asked the service manager to check and replace if necessary. Upon inspection it was found that the front brake pads still have enough life for more than 10,000kms and the rear brake shoes have even more life. I insisted on scrubbing rear brake shoes and greasing front brake caliper pins. During the brakes inspection the rear brake cylinder assembly had signs of oil leak and was duly replaced. This time I opted for MGO 0W20 supplied by Indian Oil since my usage has significantly reduced.

Service Cost:
  • 70,000kms service (parts and labor): Rs 4245.00
  • Brakes cleaning and scrubbing: Rs 850.00
  • Air Filter Cover assembly: Rs 800.00
  • Rear Brake Cylinder Assembly (pair): Rs 734.00

The much awaited 70,000kms milestone.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_1768.jpg

The Go-Kart!
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_1636.jpg

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_1592.jpg

My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_1640.jpg

The factory fitted brake pads at 70,000kms. Good for another 10,000kms kms.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_1479.jpg

The old rear brake cylinder assembly.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_1665.jpg

The old air filter assembly.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_1666.jpg

70,000kms/9th service bill.
My Go-kart. Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT, Cerulean Blue - 6 years & 90,000 km update-img_1657.jpg
Torino is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 15:25   #180
BHPian

Due to chaotic traffic conditions in Kolkata just traded my Alto Lxi XFun edition for an Alto AMT Have not driven much though in the first month only about 200 kms but First free service is due Just wondering if I get my first service done at a nearby MASS instead of going all the way to the Dealer worshop will I miss anything Do they do any software update for the AMT which I guess the local MASS will not have the equipment AMT owners please enlighten
techiecal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks