Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 18:30   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : 40000 km service update

Small Update :

Self healing nature of the Mahindra was spotted again, The rear right door won't open from the inside for a week, Then suddenly it started working with no issues for a week or so, Now again the door won't open from inside which becomes a huge irritation at times, Apart from this minor issue the car is really rattling badly on bad roads which are basically all the roads in Mumbai right now, Apart from this the car still drives like a charm with zero mechanical issues (Touch wood), I can smell a car swap in the next year..
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 09:19   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
the car is really rattling badly on bad roads which are basically all the roads in Mumbai right now...
Yes, this is something Mahindra has to improve a lot. Even my car had some rattles - especially the second row doors and the folding seat. On the folding seat at the bottom where the latches hold it, a simple application of electric insulation tape around those hooks would solve the problem. Don't force disassemble anything there. For the doors, the slight adjustment or tightening the hinges/ nuts should solve the problem. Apart from this thankfully there are not many rattles I have faced. In the earlier version there used to be many rattles from the dashboard. So far *touchwood* it has not appeared

Oh by the way, whats the next upgrade? Jeep, eh?
Old 11th August 2016, 13:37   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Yes, this is something Mahindra has to improve a lot. Even my car had some rattles - especially the second row doors and the folding seat. On the folding seat at the bottom where the latches hold it, a simple application of electric insulation tape around those hooks would solve the problem. Don't force disassemble anything there. For the doors, the slight adjustment or tightening the hinges/ nuts should solve the problem. Apart from this thankfully there are not many rattles I have faced. In the earlier version there used to be many rattles from the dashboard. So far *touchwood* it has not appeared
I am just going to tell them to fix it once, I know no matter what they do it will again start rattling again, Will see what do that do..

Quote:
Oh by the way, whats the next upgrade? Jeep, eh?
ahh... No no. Leaning towards the Endy, Looks VFM for what the car is offering at 31 Lakh on road.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 19:48   #289
BANNED

Quote:
ahh... No no. Leaning towards the Endy, Looks VFM for what the car is offering at 31 Lakh on road.
31 lac OTR?? Which variant?

Also, it is not an involving vehicle to drive and has some weird ergonomics at places. Have you driven it?

If you can, wait for a year or so and there should be mouthwatering pre owned deals available on it. Fords seldom hold their resale.
Old 11th August 2016, 19:55   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
31 lac OTR?? Which variant?

Also, it is not an involving vehicle to drive and has some weird ergonomics at places. Have you driven it?

If you can, wait for a year or so and there should be mouthwatering pre owned deals available on it. Fords seldom hold their resale.
Mumbai, Thats offcourse by not taking insurance from the dealer, This is the quote i had received a couple of months back, Buying it in next year so should be able to get some discounts atleast, Also yes i had test driven it, Ergonomics is something which every person i feel would have a different take on, I personally did not have any issues, It was a short drive sure but i could just sit inside the cabin doing nothing for hours i feel, It was a great place to be in, The over all package the car offers i feel is the best in terms of any car around 30- 32 lacs, Plus it would also satisfy my need of going off-road when and where possible.

Edit : Just to clarify i was looking for the 2.2 Top end that time, Have decided to get the 3.2 Top end now.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 11th August 2016 at 20:08.
Old 19th September 2016, 00:48   #291
Senior - BHPian

Update : Finally the cheetah crossed 30,000 Kms mark couple of days back & promptly this came up on the infotainment system, Which also shows up every time you start the car, I was surprised to know there wasn't any chime or sound for it, Anyone can simply miss this important notification, Which comes up just for a couple of seconds and then goes away automatically.

My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : 40000 km service update-screen-shot-20160919-12.38.02-am.png

Which also means its time to deal with the service centre! Following things are to be reported to the service centre,

1. 30,000 Kms servicing
2. Rear right door isn't opening from the inside (No child lock isn't activated)
3. Very slight pull towards the left
4. Infotainment System update (If they aren't lazy enough to do it this time)
5. Front Bonnet sensor is about go kaput! (Known sensor issue since the 1st gen)
6. Rattling from second row seats if no one is sitting (As always)
7. Last visit, They messed up the wiring of heads-up display which isnt working now.

Thats all for now, Next update when the Bamba is back from the service centre.
Old 6th November 2016, 22:43   #292
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

Excellent and very informative thread on XUV 500. I have enjoyed every bit of it. It sure will help a lot of prospective buyers like me. I almost had a very good picture of what all I can expect if at all I buy one. Thank you so much for keeping your thread so updated and helping all of us.

Now, I need an advice from you please. I'm planning to buy a car within the next 2 months.

My current cars: Hyundai i20 Elite and Verna Fluidic
I'm very much okay with pre-owned also (My past 13 cars are pre-owned. Only these 2 cars are new )

My options are: used 3 series, used Audi Q3, used Octavia (New Shape) or Jetta - All automatic
and New or used XUV 500. Automatic if new, anything is ok if used - New shape
I know the options sound bizarre. Can't help. I only love these cars in that bracket

Budget - 15-20 lacs

I drive a lot both in the city and on highways - roughly around 4k kms per month easily. And I'm looking for a powerful car now which can satisfy the enthusiast in me and which provide me a peace of mind in maintenance. At the same time, the car should take the abuse of the worst roads & potholes of our Hyderabad and rest of India.

I'm confused which one to buy. Based on our road conditions, I'm thinking to narrow down on Q3 and XUV. But, the enthusiast in me is craving for a 3er or at least an Octavia Automatic. Can you provide your valuable suggestions, please?

BTW, any update about your 30k kms service?
Old 14th November 2016, 12:58   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hi Tanveer,

Excellent and very informative thread on XUV 500. I have enjoyed every bit of it. It sure will help a lot of prospective buyers like me. I almost had a very good picture of what all I can expect if at all I buy one. Thank you so much for keeping your thread so updated and helping all of us.
Thanks Madhav, I have received several such messages thanking me for doing such a comparison, The thing is there are several people who shop cars by their, "Budget" instead of car or fuel type, I was in the same boat! Glad it helped you too.

Quote:
My options are: used 3 series, used Audi Q3, used Octavia (New Shape) or Jetta - All automatic
and New or used XUV 500. Automatic if new, anything is ok if used - New shape
I know the options sound bizarre. Can't help. I only love these cars in that bracket
I would personally drop out the Q3 and the Octavia (Diesel) Out of the list,

Slightly used 3 Series or the Jetta 2 TDI would be my pick any day, Make a decision if you need a practical car of you want something that will hit the spot for you, XUV Makes the most sense in terms of Power, Space, Features, Why do you think i have 2 cars? 1 XUV for the practicality and 1 Jetta to satisfy the kick i need every now and then.

Decide first if you need practicality or driving pleasure, If its driving pleasure go with the 3 series, Jetta TDI or Octavia 1.8 TSI, You can't go wrong with these, Just confirm is the octavia's are still coming with rear disc brakes, Read somewhere skoda has changed the rear to drum

Quote:
BTW, any update about your 30k kms service?
The service has been going around since a Month! Mahindra Service centre's you see, More on it when i get the car back.

In Short, This is probably the last Mahindra car i own.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 13:13   #294
BHPian

Quote:

In Short, This is probably the last Mahindra car i own.
Sad , hope Mahindra reads it . They surely have taken Western Mumbai clientele for granted by leaving them at the mercy G3 motors.
On the other hand my SA at NBS centre always has 1 standard excuse of being under staffed for the day.
Old 17th November 2016, 02:00   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Sad , hope Mahindra reads it . They surely have taken Western Mumbai clientele for granted by leaving them at the mercy G3 motors.
On the other hand my SA at NBS centre always has 1 standard excuse of being under staffed for the day.
Yes, Their soo called "Understaffed" & "Overbooked" Excuse always stands, No matter what time of the year, It was sad to decide to never buy a Mahindra again, Even though having full faith in their product which is brilliant at this price point, After sales matters a lot, Specially when there are still several niggles in the car, No wonder why some people are very loyal to toyota no matter what the product or how expensive the product is.
Old 17th November 2016, 09:44   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Their soo called "Understaffed" & "Overbooked" Excuse always stands....
It's unfortunate for us customers but catastrophic for M&M. While Tata is bouncing back, Mahindra is going backwards.

But again, this is more for Mumbai area. here ins Bengaluru, I never had any trouble with appointments and servicing schedule. My car has never stayed at dealership for more than 6 hours in last ~40K kms. Of course I had to make 2-3 visits for few things that could haven been avoided. A couple of times it was purely for parts not available and silver box/ GPS thing that comes from Nippon is altogether different drama.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 13:08   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Their soo called "Understaffed" & "Overbooked" Excuse always stands, No matter what time of the year, It was sad to decide to never buy a Mahindra again, Even though having full faith in their product which is brilliant at this price point, After sales matters a lot, Specially when there are still several niggles in the car, No wonder why some people are very loyal to toyota no matter what the product or how expensive the product is.
Did you get your XUV back from 30k servicing?
Old 21st November 2016, 21:55   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
It's unfortunate for us customers but catastrophic for M&M. While Tata is bouncing back, Mahindra is going backwards.

But again, this is more for Mumbai area. here ins Bengaluru, I never had any trouble with appointments and servicing schedule. My car has never stayed at dealership for more than 6 hours in last ~40K kms. Of course I had to make 2-3 visits for few things that could haven been avoided. A couple of times it was purely for parts not available and silver box/ GPS thing that comes from Nippon is altogether different drama.
Totally agree, I would never really drop out a car only because of the after sales experience (Except skoda's offcourse) I dont mind if the time taken is a bit more or if i had to wait a bit to get an appointment etc, In my case, Past 3 servicing my car was returned with incomplete work and i was charged even for a car wash! Will post details once i get the car back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Did you get your XUV back from 30k servicing?
Nope, I had given it for servicing, in the previous month, Got the car back after 3 days with no work done, Sent the car again and its been with them for more than 10 days now, but i too have included a small insurance claim for denting and painting, But no excuses, I had to send my car back for them to rectify issues properly during the 30k servicing, NONE of my complaints were attended !

Lets see, What have they done this time around when i get the car back, hopefully by weekend.
Old 3rd December 2016, 22:19   #299
Senior - BHPian

So finally the 30000 kms service is done, Car as usual was sent to NBS International At Reay Road (Anyone from Mahindra reading this, KEEP reading!)

I had sent my car for the servicing approximately around 2 months back, Firstly if your opting for pickup and drop, Be prepared to wait for 2 weeks to get an appointment, After my car was picked up in the morning at 8, I had no update to where my car was till 3PM in the afternoon, Only upon me calling them again and again they confirmed around 3.15 that my car has reached the workshop! From 8 am to 3.15pm, Not very impressive is it?

Work given was,

1. 30000 kms servicing
2. Rattling noise in the cabin
3. Lounge lighting not working (top side)
4. Gear knob vibrations in 4th gear
5. Heads-display not working
6. Update infotainment system to the latest software
7. Car was pulling towards the left
8. Car was LITERALLY bouncing while going over potholes

Work Done = NOTHING!

Car was kept for 2 days and sent back to me in the exact same condition i had sent it in the first place, They did not even bother to rectify the left side pulling of the car which was very apparent. I raised a complain with the Mahindra customer who assured me for a quick action, Still nothing after 2 weeks, RM did not help either, Calling the service centre and asking them to hand over the phone to the senior or the manger there too din't work, They just used to hang up the phone.

After getting a couple of number from fellow bhpians, My car was picked up again after a month to rectify all the issues with the car, I din't push them to give it back to me early since during all this time i was in the UAE, They sent back the car and the very next day i reached back to Mumbai, Checked the car and...

1. Well okay least the service reminder is gone.
2. Rattling noise still there
3. Lounge lighting working yaye!
4. Gear knob vibrations is still there & Wait the cover near the gear lever is torn!
5. Heads-up display still not working.
6. Infotainment system updated finally after 4 tries!
7. Car was still pulling towards the left
8. They changed the front shock absorbers under warranty and the car now behaves normally.

I don't have the bills with me to attach right now, But i was FORCED to buy the Mahindra extended road side assistance and i was changed for 3M engine care treatment in total of 3 times which in total comes around 1000 INR approx.

After giving a mouthful to my SA as why wasn't i asked if i wanted to renew the road side assistance, He calmly said, "Sabko kaam aata hai sir, Aapka faayda hai". I bluntly refused and asked him remove that amount and send me a fresh bill, He did so after arguing a lot though, Also i was charged 700 for a car wash the first time i had sent my car in & i confirmed with the customer care that everytime you send your car for a service, Car wash is done for FREE !

Also upon asking about the 3M engine treatment, SA rudely said you'll have to pay for it as its compulsory, Like what? I din't argue about that and just ended the topic.

I will post the pictures of the bills as i get them in my hand.

New Infotainment system update : This update came roughly around 10 months back if i remember clearly, Couple of bhpains got their updated too, I had asked the same service centre least 4 times in my 4 different visits to them and they did not update it saying there is no update available, Only this time when i emailed them the pictures they took the time out and updated mine too, Thanks to bhpian madhu for the pictures! Love the new animations though.

My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : 40000 km service update-img_1505.jpg

After the update i am facing a set of other issues now,

1. Navigation is not working
2. Camera when activated hangs
3. System restarts on its own.
4 (Not sure if its infotainment related) But the reverse parking sound is not there anymore.

Mahindra...Niggles..Just soo many, No wonder why several people i know went for a Toyota even though they accept XUV 500 as a fantastic product, But they also NEED peace of mind after buying a product!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 09:12   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mahindra...Niggles..Just soo many, No wonder why several people i know went for a Toyota even though they accept XUV 500 as a fantastic product, But they also NEED peace of mind after buying a product!
I know you are disappointed and even I was when I happened to drive the pre-facelift XUV which had done some 54 thousand kilometers. The thing was creaking even on plain roads.

I too did 30,000 kms service in my Scorpio few days ago and no squeaks, rattles, niggles...why so much of a difference? Link I don't think even M&M can explain this.

Most Viewed