Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2015, 00:47   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : AWD Experience With Pictures & Videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adesh.Singh View Post
Thank You Tanveer, Really appreciated your reply.

I was roaming around the threads looking for the answer but thanks to you.

It was really surprising, suddenly I started feeling this jerk and made me worry about this vehicle. I will let you know the feedback after my first service.

Also, like to know from you the FE you are getting from your vehicle, mine is not crossing 10 KMPL as per the infotainment system. Is it normal or the FE will change after first service, also I did upsize the tire to 255/60/R17, will this impact the FE so much.
Hello, Anytime bro.

Infact it was just today i felt the kick from the rear wheels, But this time the car was stationery on a bridge (Incline angle)

Also FE is only around 9-10 in the city, On the highway it goes upto 14-15 kpl at a steady speed of around 100 kph, Since you have upsized the tires, I think it would hamper the FE just a little bit, Maybe the Tyre guru's can chip in here though.
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:27   #107
BHPian

re: My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : AWD Experience With Pictures & Videos!

Looks like this issue is specific to AWD variant, as no one from FWD variants have reported this issue of "kick in the back".

Regarding fuel efficiency, I feel that Mahindra guys have put a lower limit of 9 KMpL in the infotainment unit. Sometimes my fuel to fuel stats show a mileage as low as 8 KMPL, but have never seen the infotainment display anything below 9 anytime, although I reset it quite often to check the mileage on different runs (and allow it to run for atleast 200 to 300 KM before next reset). On the highway, yes, it will be higher - atleast 13 to 14 KMpL if you cruise around 80 to 100 in 6th gear.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:03   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am also driving the same vehicle, did you feel that there is a push from the rear wheel when you engage first gear? or you can say kind of jerk ( very little) from rear wheels.
More to do with sensors of AWD system than gear box. The system is so designed that if it senses front wheel spin the rear wheel drive engages.

Considering this back ground try replicate this "kick" Try on up incline or on dusty / loose surface. Is it easier to replicate? Typical situation where car is pushed max in first gear while starting to roll from stationary vis surface traction available.
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:07   #109
BHPian

Thanks Tanveer. I think FE might go up a little after first Service.

Yes this type of Jerk might be felt only in AWD models but it make sense if you encounter a slippage and only then AWD sensor will transfer the torque to rear differential.

However I have noticed this "jerk" during stationary condition on plane road just by engaging the gear, without releasing the clutch.

There might be possibilities that this is coming from the drive shaft ( a long rod going from front to rear wheels) as it starts rotating the moment you engage the gears, but again someone who has good knowledge on AWD system can explain it better.
Adesh.Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:01   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Looks like this issue is specific to AWD variant, as no one from FWD variants have reported this issue of "kick in the back".

Regarding fuel efficiency, I feel that Mahindra guys have put a lower limit of 9 KMpL in the infotainment unit. Sometimes my fuel to fuel stats show a mileage as low as 8 KMPL, but have never seen the infotainment display anything below 9 anytime, although I reset it quite often to check the mileage on different runs (and allow it to run for atleast 200 to 300 KM before next reset). On the highway, yes, it will be higher - atleast 13 to 14 KMpL if you cruise around 80 to 100 in 6th gear.
Yes, It has to be only in the AWD variants, My previous FWD XUV never used to do such a thing, Though i would not call it an issue, Since it also happens when you slip the clutch a bit to early, Thats also when the light kick from the back is felt.

About the FE, Yes i have never seen it going below 9 Kmpl on the infotainment system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
More to do with sensors of AWD system than gear box. The system is so designed that if it senses front wheel spin the rear wheel drive engages.

Considering this back ground try replicate this "kick" Try on up incline or on dusty / loose surface. Is it easier to replicate? Typical situation where car is pushed max in first gear while starting to roll from stationary vis surface traction available.
Yes, It can also be felt during the situations you mentioned, But as adesh and me just confirmed it also happens once in a while when the car is stationery, Though it did not happen for me when the car was stationery after the first servicing.

Quote:

Yes this type of Jerk might be felt only in AWD models but it make sense if you encounter a slippage and only then AWD sensor will transfer the torque to rear differential.

However I have noticed this "jerk" during stationary condition on plane road just by engaging the gear, without releasing the clutch.

There might be possibilities that this is coming from the drive shaft ( a long rod going from front to rear wheels) as it starts rotating the moment you engage the gears, but again someone who has good knowledge on AWD system can explain it better.
Hello, Yes surely it will improve after the first servicing, Actually i had observed my previous XUV giving me the best mileage and performance only after i had clocked more than 10k kms.

I had felt the jerk/ Push, only before the first servicing when the car was stationery, Did not feel it yet after the first servicing, And yes someone with better AWD knowledge can please chip in.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 13:49   #111
KAN
BHPian

Some gyan required on the FM radio of the infotainment system of XUV facelift. It seems a bit primitive on this front. It only allows storing 6 FM channels and there is no option to toggle between stored FM channels from steering mounted controls.
It is frustrating to scan and move from one frequency to another by manual tune (+/- 0.1) each time. Also trying to access from touch screen while driving is inconvenient and dangerous.
Is there something that I am missing or it just has limited functionality?
Old 5th October 2015, 14:20   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAN View Post
Some gyan required on the FM radio of the infotainment system of XUV facelift. It seems a bit primitive on this front. It only allows storing 6 FM channels and there is no option to toggle between stored FM channels from steering mounted controls.
It is frustrating to scan and move from one frequency to another by manual tune (+/- 0.1) each time. Also trying to access from touch screen while driving is inconvenient and dangerous.
I guess there are more than 6 channels that you can pre-set. You have to press "FM" button once more on the screen to go to next set of 6 channels. Yes, from the steering mounted controls, you cannot change the FM channels, which is quite annoying.
Indian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 13:03   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't use FM much, So i really don't know about how many channels can be stored, Ill check it though, The sole reason for me of not using the FM is because it has to be changed via the touchscreen! Which means taking your eyes off the road and taking one of your hand off the steering !

Quote:
I guess there are more than 6 channels that you can pre-set. You have to press "FM" button once more on the screen to go to next set of 6 channels. Yes, from the steering mounted controls, you cannot change the FM channels, which is quite annoying.
I don't understand how can Mahindra miss this feature in the facelift, Even with the first gen XUV FM channels had to be toggled via the touch screen, Its the same in the facelift, And indeed its very annoying.
Old 6th October 2015, 14:00   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Using the steering controls, you cannot jump to a preset channel but can scan for other channels and set them using the "phone" buttons.
Old 8th October 2015, 17:29   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I don't use FM much, So i really don't know about how many channels can be stored, Ill check it though, The sole reason for me of not using the FM is because it has to be changed via the touchscreen! Which means taking your eyes off the road and taking one of your hand off the steering !

I don't understand how can Mahindra miss this feature in the facelift, Even with the first gen XUV FM channels had to be toggled via the touch screen, Its the same in the facelift, And indeed its very annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
Using the steering controls, you cannot jump to a preset channel but can scan for other channels and set them using the "phone" buttons.
Guys, not sure if you have already tried this but it is indeed possible to jump to a particular FM channel using the steering control.

You need to use the Voice Recognition. The command is "Move to <FM Channel>", for example "Move to 91.9". No need to scan. You can jump channel by simply giving out voice commands.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
achyu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 14:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
Guys, not sure if you have already tried this but it is indeed possible to jump to a particular FM channel using the steering control.

You need to use the Voice Recognition. The command is "Move to <FM Channel>", for example "Move to 91.9". No need to scan. You can jump channel by simply giving out voice commands.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Yes thats possible i knew, But the thing is, Its not practical, Specially these days when the FM's have Advertisements going on at every FM station, And at times you need to shuffle through all the stations to find any song playing. So its like, Pressing a button, Saying the command , And doing it over and over until you find a song.

So in short i just stick to my USB or bluetooth for playing songs.
Old 9th October 2015, 16:47   #117
KAN
BHPian

Quote:
Yes thats possible i knew, But the thing is, Its not practical, Specially these days when the FM's have Advertisements going on at every FM station, And at times you need to shuffle through all the stations to find any song playing. So its like, Pressing a button, Saying the command , And doing it over and over until you find a song.

So in short i just stick to my USB or bluetooth for playing songs.
agree completely!!
But I hope in future software update Mahindra-Nippon could change the button on steering mount to replace the 0.1+/- to toggle channels?
Old 10th October 2015, 18:24   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Felt the Jerk/ Push from the back today while engaging the first gear when the car was stationery, Calledup my SA and he quickly agreed its completely normal to feel so, But he did not have an explanation to why does it happen.

Quote:
agree completely!!
But I hope in future software update Mahindra-Nippon could change the button on steering mount to replace the 0.1+/- to toggle channels?
I doubt they would, Would be great if they do so.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 00:37   #119
BHPian

Congratulations Tanveer. Great review and great comparison.

Having owned a Jetta 2013, I can easily relate to what you are stating. It's a Tank!

Sorry if I missed reading it; what's the cost of heads up display and where did you get it from?

Happy motoring

Cheers,
Old 11th October 2015, 13:47   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Felt the Jerk/ Push from the back today while engaging the first gear when the car was stationery, Calledup my SA and he quickly agreed its completely normal to feel so, But he did not have an explanation to why does it happen.

I doubt they would, Would be great if they do so.

Hi Tanveer, thanks for the update.

Ya, I am sure the SA would not be having any answer to this but at least he acknowledged the fact of feeling the same

Meanwhile, I went to the workshop for some issue and when I was returning from the workshop , one mechanic was asked to take my car out of the workshop and I was sitting with him and asked about this jerk, he told me that it happens in AWD and by changing gear oil it will be fine and nothing to worry

However , I did not buy his point but will analyse this in my first service by getting AWD oil change.

The point which is strange is that it is not discussed in any forum.

Most Viewed