Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 16:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Waiting for 1st service to get done so that I can cross 2500rpm.
Thanks supertinu!

According to the RSA and sales folks at M&M, XUV5OO does not have any run-in period or restrictions as such other than not redlining RPMs. I had specifically asked this question and got the consistent answer.

But you know what, I still want to stick to 2500 RPM limit for first 5000 Kms. When I am determined to run this engine for 1.5 Lakh Kms in next 5 years, I can surely wait for 5000 Kms to keep the revs under 2500

My driving in week days is only 11.5 Kms per day. The daily routine regardless of the drive distance involves -
- Idling the engine in the morning for 120 seconds, I count it literally.
- Every time I stop the engine, I idle it for 30 seconds or more depending on the time it was running
- Further engine cranks in the day, engine idles for at least 30-50 seconds.

And I never step on the clutch and and press start stop upon unlocking car. I first open door, push start button without pressing clutch and enjoy the speedo needle do full swing. And then crank up the engine. Check phone connection, Radio Sound Check, if day time - wear goggles, Check last minute SMS, emails and WhatsApp and when i see all clear, slot in gear!

That last routine of checking emails, sms and WhatsApp makes sure that i spend always more than a minute idling!

Last edited by abirnale : 28th July 2015 at 16:52.
abirnale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 17:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
And then crank up the engine. Check phone connection, Radio Sound Check, if day time - wear goggles, Check last minute SMS, emails and WhatsApp and when i see all clear, slot in gear!

That last routine of checking emails, sms and WhatsApp makes sure that i spend always more than a minute idling!
Even I follow the same steps Avinash After cranking the engine, I wait till the pop up comes for Phone & Music connected, connect my dashcam, wipe dust on the steering & on infotainment, slot all gears once with clutch depressed and then start driving. But sometimes when I am in hurry I don't follow these steps.

Also considering Mahindra has done extensive tests on Start stop feature, engine idling should not be mandatory task. This feature is designed to start & stop the engine instantaneously and should not affect the engine. Never I switch off the start stop feature.
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 00:03   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb review, Avinash!!! And a very nice colour.
In the pre-facelift version, I used to like the grey. Is it still available in the facelifted version?

Your ODO has already hit 2.5K, Super!
Have a wonderful and fun filled journey with your cheetah.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks supertinu!

According to the RSA and sales folks at M&M, XUV5OO does not have any run-in period or restrictions as such other than not redlining RPMs. I had specifically asked this question and got the consistent answer.

But you know what, I still want to stick to 2500 RPM limit for first 5000 Kms. When I am determined to run this engine for 1.5 Lakh Kms in next 5 years, I can surely wait for 5000 Kms to keep the revs under 2500

My driving in week days is only 11.5 Kms per day. The daily routine regardless of the drive distance involves -
- Every time I stop the engine, I idle it for 30 seconds or more depending on the time it was running
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Even I follow the same steps Avinash After cranking the engine, I wait till the pop up comes for Phone & Music connected, connect my dashcam, wipe dust on the steering & on infotainment, slot all gears once with clutch depressed and then start driving. But sometimes when I am in hurry I don't follow these steps.

Also considering Mahindra has done extensive tests on Start stop feature, engine idling should not be mandatory task. This feature is designed to start & stop the engine instantaneously and should not affect the engine. Never I switch off the start stop feature.
I thought I had OCD but seems like you both are way ahead of me . My daily routine during cold start is
  • Before sitting in the car, put the key in ignition. Let all the diwali lights happen and crank the engine once the glow plug light goes away
  • Then i go around the car putting the wipers down which my car cleaner raises as a sign of car cleaning done irrespective of whether it really done or he did add few more swirl marks
  • Once I am in the car i put on my glasses, let the phone connect. So overall i do manage to idle it for about a minute before starting

I am not sure if required in XUV but i do idle the car before switching off as well to reduce the turbo spooling. It is needed in my Figo, so I have carried on the practise here as well.

For run-in I decided to keep it under control till 5K km so that the engine settles in. Even though MnM claims its not needed as such, but does not hurt to let the engine, suspension, mechanicals settle in without too much stress.

Last edited by supertinu : 29th July 2015 at 12:23.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:57   #50
BHPian

I don't spend detailed time to idle the engine (never did for SX4 too). One thing I minimally do is for the calibration to settle before I crank the engine.

I thought I would wait till 1K Kms for the run-in. But reading you all, I'll wait till 5K.
sathya_nars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 14:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Talking bout idling the car - this thread (link below) has been a gem of all. I am sure everyone has been through this thread already. Go over it one more time - a superb read!

http://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/i...o-charged-cars

I have read this to every word and somehow made up my mind - every day 5 mins to the car for walk around, idling etc is worth many years of troubler ownership. Above all, it just doesn't hurt if not benefits for sure!

@Arun - thanks dude. If you are referring to Dolphin Grey, yes. It is available for new age variant too.

Last edited by abirnale : 29th July 2015 at 14:43.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:09   #52
BHPian

Thanks Abirnale. An eye-opener, will follow now onwards.
Old 31st July 2015, 00:09   #53
BHPian

Hey Congratulations Avinash! Although, I must admit I'm late.

You are sure enjoying your ride from the looks of it!

So why the Orange colour?
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 11:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
So why the Orange colour?
Thanks dude!

Why Orange? Because it's not an apple

We always wanted RED - the kinda red that you get on old Accent CRDI. We still wanted the XUV RED until I saw so many Zoom cars in that colour. My Kids and Spouse still wanted to buy RED, until they saw Orange! In my two visits to the show room, I saw that Orange to be different colour, different under varying light condition. It never looked dull. I saw one on the road too. It was instant choice - we will go with Orange, sunset orange to be precise

Having bought it and used for little over a month in mint clean condition to super dirty muck state, we are loving this shade! When it is clean and shiny, you should see it in flesh under sunlight! It's one heck of a colour I have started loving.
Old 31st July 2015, 22:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new XUV 500. Lovely choice of colour.

The facelift makes the car look better, and how is the throttle response in the city? Mahindra have changed the final drive to a taller one.

Quote:
Idling the engine for 120 seconds is overkill. Just stick to the owners manual, else 30-45 seconds is more than enough. Drive the engine slowly(under 2K rpm) for the first 2-3 KMs. That must be enough to take care of it.

In a diesel, always don't push it hard just after it starts. That must be enough to take care of it and for it to last long.

Yes, half a minute of idling after you finish driving is good and will go a long way.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 22:27   #56
BHPian

@abirnale - Hearty congratulations, albeit a little late. The Sunset Orange looks a stunner! I wish you miles-cruching a galore in your new ride. Please do keep us posted on your ownership experiences through the lifecycle of this beauty. Drive safe & All the best
Gentle Giant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 15:30   #57
BHPian

Thanks for posting your XUV5OO experience.

We have booked a W8 AWD in black and eagerly waiting for the delivery. Your trips to places in and around Bangalore are very inspiring

Quote:

And the last important piece - to keep my kids engaged on boring drives - MMI headrests with DVD and Game player -
Attachment 1393090

These come with individual game consoles that can be used to play multi-player games!
How is the power supply wired to the units? I dont see any wiring in the pics.

Wanted to make sure that these dont take up the power socket of the rear seats.
Pallavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @Gentle_Giant, @landcruiser123.

@landcruiser123, A minute of extra idling doesn't cost a bomb anyway Moreover my parking is in basement so to come out, I would inevitably push the RPMs close to 1500 on the ramp anyway. So it would not hurt if I idle it for 120 seconds or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
How is the power supply wired to the units? I dont see any wiring in the pics.
Wanted to make sure that these dont take up the power socket of the rear seats.
Thanks Pallavi! And congratulations for making the leap forward to XUV5OO!

The MMI headrests replace the existing headrests. The connecting wires come from within the seats and below without much exposure to outside are connected to rear of middle row cig lighter. Since this cig lighter (like all others) is connected with fuse, it is safe to tap extra power from behind them, below arm rest box. You won't be able to see the cable. You can still use the cig charger to connect to any other needs such as mobile charger etc. The MMI units gets powered only when the car is in ACC/ ON mode. This is absolutely safe and doesn't affect the side airbags too which are built into the front seats.

I have used these headrests on my drives so far and used the power outlet for charging mobile simultaneously.

I could sneak few pics of headrest showing the cabling, but being away from the home for past week (another one to go), I will be able to post pictures only by mid August.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by abirnale : 5th August 2015 at 16:39.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I could sneak few pics of headrest showing the cabling, but being away from the home for past week (another one to go), I will be able to post pictures only by mid August.

Can you help posting some pics on what this system provides ? Does it add value having this instead of getting a tablet and holder ?

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2015 at 07:13. Reason: Edited bulk of quoted post
Old 7th August 2015, 03:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

I will add pictures when I am back with my Orange Cheetah.

Meanwhile, here is the link to throw more light on what exactly is this MMI headrest systems are - http://www.mapmyindia.com/rear-seat-...st-monitor-900

The Technical Specs are -
Quote:
22.9cm (9") TFT screen (2 nos.)
2 A/V input, 1A/V output
16:9 aspect ratio
800x480 resolution
12V DC Power supply
Built-in stereo speaker
DVD Player can support VCD/SVCD/CD/MP3/MP4/ GAMES Wire games stick/USB/SD/MC/MMS
MMC, MS & USB slot
Built-in game function with two remotes
Black, Grey, Beige Colour selection
Perfect outline design
Dimension: 265mm X 226mm X 139mm
The features are -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-features.jpg

The cost of Unit online is - Rs. 16,490 but with installation etc, M&M can charge another Rs. 1000!

The same setup can be done using the tablets. But imagine the ind of effort and DIY one would do do fit in two tablets, Game controllers, DVD player and to top it up - multi player game!

It's great value for money in my opinion.

*All image and information source - MMI Website.

Last edited by abirnale : 7th August 2015 at 03:29.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed