Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:07   #91
BHPian

re: Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post

EDIT - for the options two names come to my mind - Philips ExtremeVision and Osram Nightbreaker series. Not sure about stock and availability etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhirama View Post
Can you please let me know which bulb you have zeroed in? I too want to upgrade the lights of my XUV 500, but do not want to get into the elaborate set up of relays etc or break the law.

Also, any clue as to whether the Mahindra service center will be able to carry this out?
I am using Osram Night Breakers Unlimited(110%) in High beam from almost a year now. Light through is good compared to stocks.
Recently brought Philip Xtreme Vision(130%) yet to replace them.

Since these bulb's spec(55W) is same as stock once, Service Center will allow to replace. I got the bulbs replaced from service center itself for free.
PMK-MoJo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:08   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK-MoJo View Post
Is this the one you are referring to - Philips H7 12972 X-treme Vision Headlight Bulb (12V, 55W) ?

The Osram Night Breaker UNLIMITED H4 60/55W (double) is available for similar costs it seems.

As per your recommendations Philips should be good choice, right?
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:28   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this the one you are referring to - Philips H7 12972 X-treme Vision Headlight Bulb (12V, 55W) ?

The Osram Night Breaker UNLIMITED H4 60/55W (double) is available for similar costs it seems.

As per your recommendations Philips should be good choice, right?
No Avinash, he is talking about the +130% one

Philips Xtreme Vision +130%

And the Osram one you are referring to is a H4 bulb.

@PMK-MoJo - How much you bought them for? And place? If I am changing I plan to change all 8 bulbs in the front with same color temperature as I do not like half white and half yellowish on my car. Let me know if you have changed all the bulbs?

Last edited by fusionbang : 3rd September 2015 at 14:31.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
The link does not show availability - just the info from guide.alibaba. No "buy now" link?

I want to buy these. Like you mentioned, once you find good replacement - I will repeat the order
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am using Osram Night Breakers Unlimited(110%) in High beam from almost a year now. Light through is good compared to stocks.

Since these bulb's spec(55W) is same as stock once, Service Center will allow to replace. I got the bulbs replaced from service center itself for free.
Quote:
The link does not show availability - just the info from guide.alibaba. No "buy now" link?

I want to buy these. Like you mentioned, once you find good replacement - I will repeat the order
I am not planning to buy them online, just for reference I took the link and also it is difficult to source them online. I would personally visit the shop, have a look and then buy them. I have a contact at JC road, will check with him and let you know so that we can buy it together if he can offer some discount.

Also PMK-Mojo's inputs would help to source these bulbs.
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:19   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I am not planning to buy them online, just for reference I took the link and also it is difficult to source them online. I would personally visit the shop, have a look and then buy them. I have a contact at JC road, will check with him and let you know so that we can buy it together if he can offer some discount.

Also PMK-Mojo's inputs would help to source these bulbs.
If you are buying from JC road (bulk buy), pls keep me informed also. I am interested too to change the stock bulb.
Old 3rd September 2015, 17:03   #97
BHPian

Quote:
@PMK-MoJo - How much you bought them for? And place? If I am changing I plan to change all 8 bulbs in the front with same color temperature as I do not like half white and half yellowish on my car. Let me know if you have changed all the bulbs?
Both Osram and Philips i brought from UK based Website

http://www.powerbulbs.com/

Brought Philip 130% Bulbs Couple of months back for 24Pounds approximately Rs.2300 after 20% discount. Received in a week time.

I think OSRAM NBU costed me less than Rs.1900 per pair almost a year back.

Right now it costs around Rs.2000 due to Rupee depreciation.
Looks like still 20% offer is going on.

For City rides even though i drive with Low beam(HID) while blinking I can feel the lights are bright enough but not satisfied during Highway rides, so i am thinking to go for Auxiliary lights(External).

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th September 2015 at 00:48. Reason: Fixed url tags, thanks
PMK-MoJo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:13   #98

Quote:
Any specific reason to switch from Osram to Philips?

Quote:
Both Osram and Philips i brought from UK based Website

http://www.powerbulbs.com/
No custom hassles during delivery?

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th September 2015 at 00:55. Reason: Please use MultiQuote option instead of replying back to back, thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 10:34   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhirama View Post
Any specific reason to switch from Osram to Philips?
No custom hassles during delivery?
Expecting to be more brighter but i think there may not be a major difference. Need to install and see how much variation. i will try to change them over this weekend and then post you the pics.

With respect to shipment - delivered as expected, no delay or customs issues.
Many people brought from this website, Refer the below thread for more details on Auto lighting.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ting-here.html
Old 4th September 2015, 10:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

I just had a look at powerbulbs.com, and the approx cost after 20% discount for all 8 bulbs is coming to around 10K. Also they are giving a pair of Osram LED bulb free with it. I am contemplating whether to buy online or locally because if the bulbs do not work then I am not sure what all challenges I need to face to get them replaced for which I will not have patience.

Hence I will try with local shop and then take the next steps.

Waiting for your update PMK-MoJo.
Old 6th September 2015, 12:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

A Sunday morning well spent on this super essential DIY.

I bought 36 sq.ft. of noodle mat roll, grey colour for Rs 75 per sqft from a nearby mat and handloom store yesterday. The roll was of good quality - made by National (the plastic chair manufacturing company). The roll was 2 ft wide and 18 ft long. I consumed all of that with a small 3x2 sq ft left unused.

Here is the up-close pic of mat, roll spread, thickness -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-mattexture.jpg
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-matthickness.jpg

Before I started cutting, I spread the roll on the floor and put all the existing mats on it to see if the size i procured will fit all properly -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-scaleroll.jpg

Once sure about the sizes an fitment probability checked, readied my tools -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-tools.jpg

Starting with the last row - the most complex one, started cutting each piece. The strategy used was very simple - spread the existing mats on top of the noodle mats and then mark with sketch pen. The caution to exercise is - spread noodle mat reverse - soft side up, noodle down and to mark, existing mats also needed to be put on them upside down so the fitting is perfect!

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-lastrowonrollmap.jpg

Not that the middle row for XUV is larger than 2ft and hence will be short of this additional size.

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-middlerowshortsize.jpg

Rest all is easy - map, cut and fit. Simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LastRowOnRollMap.JPG
Views:	1492
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1410996
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-lastrowcut.jpg

And fitted in the car -

Last Row fitted -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-lastrowfitted.jpg
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-lastrowfittedcloseup.jpg

Middle row fitted -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-middlerowfitted.jpg

Passenger and Driver Side Fitted -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-frontpassengerfitted.jpg
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-driversizefitted.jpg

I have kept the older mats below and placed these noodle mats on top.

This entire setup costed me less than 3000 Rs. The fitting is not bad at all, considering I did it But honestly This is not short of what a 3M guy will do! I had enquired this setup at 3M and they had quoted Rs. 8500! I guess I can spend Rs. 5500 on another tankful of diesel and burn it
abirnale is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 13:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Sunday morning well spent on this super essential DIY.
Awesome Avinash A job well executed. I should have also had some patience and done it myself instead of 3M. As you mentioned I could have spent the amount to burn some fuel on my car.

Anyway you did the right thing going for a DIY method.
Old 7th September 2015, 09:18   #103
Senior - BHPian

Not everything works as we plan. We understand this and so never have any grudges because there is something else that works out to make things even! I had planned to do a mileage run for around 700-800 Kms so that I can reach the first service mark sooner. It did not happen

But then on a lazy Sunday noon, the plan to eat outside city was well received by home minister and kids. The good food at Swathi Delicacy on Bangalore-Mangalore highway and a quick timepass visit to Markonahalli Lake/ Dam is all we did on the Sunday.

I pull over the car and first thing my son asks me is to let him sit "atop" XUV!

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3517.jpg

We spent some time playing around and then this idea struck my junior -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3525.jpg

Whoever said sunroof is no utility in India or waste of money, I would like to say this. People, if you have kids then let them decide what utility sunroof is! Your opinions will change!

As usual, one snap of the cheetah - water, grass and skies!

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3528.jpg

And we returned home happy just before the rain mayhem started on Bangalore roads!

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3535.jpg

EDIT - return drive on Bangalore - Mangalore highway and Nice road with a sedate driving, has this FE to show on the screen!

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3543.jpg

Ciao until next update!

Last edited by abirnale : 7th September 2015 at 09:22.
abirnale is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 15:38   #104

How do you get your car next to the water body? Is it before the park entrance of after? When we went there, we parked near the so called park, walked up the steep steps to get next to the water body.

Quote:
But honestly This is not short of what a 3M guy will do! I had enquired this setup at 3M and they had quoted Rs. 8500! I guess I can spend Rs. 5500 on another tankful of diesel and burn it
I got the matting done yesterday, the cost was mainly for the mat, the service cost when compared to the mat is negligible. Have you used Nomad before and if so, does the local one stand in line with the Nomad?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th September 2015 at 09:24. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
abhirama is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 09:14   #105
BHPian

Wow avinash that's one hell of a DIY. The job is at par with the 3M guys themselves. Keep up the good work. Having a discussion with family about the actual uses of the sunroof (primarily what is the most important upgrade in the W10) and to be honest I'm not so sure but after seeing your son enjoying on the sunroof may have to reconsider
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed