Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2015, 10:49   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sad to see the nasty scratches.
Do get the panels repainted soon.
Thanks for the sympathies sir I am planning to do this after my trip to Ashtavinayak next month. Yes, the quote seems to be higher but then its insurance who will pay. It's just three months of ownership and an entire year to go. Why bother that NCB which would be for sure lesser than these costs. I had the confirmation from SA that this will be done with insurance so no problem there.

Of course if I was doing this out of my pocket, Sai Colorium (Anant and Bharath are best) would have been the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi@98 View Post
Also you can claim for insurance from there.
True, if I were doing it, would use outside garage to work on it. But if it's anyway insurance, why bother of all the claim process, reimbursements etc when M&M dealer will take care of cashless claims?

Map Issue Update
Yesterday I had given the car to fix the issue with Maps. They could not actually fix the problem with my unit hence simply replaced the silver brain box with a new one. I was busy yesterday and could not pickup the car on time so it had to be picked up in the evening around 8pm. My SA and RM waited for me even when the technicians and foremen had left for the day. I can't thank my RM enough that he waited so long even after today being his holiday for Eid celebration. I love these guys for their commitment and sincerity in work.

The maps issue is fixed, all the software upgrades are done, ECU upgrades were checked again. Now everything is well. The car was also washed free especially when it had picked all the dirt from my recent Goa trip! No payment, I was out of the garage by 8:15pm.

Here are the snapshots of the engineering menus and maps screen for reference of what is latest as on yesterday given to me -

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3855.jpg
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3856.jpg
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3857.jpg
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3854.jpg

Flip side is that all the data was lost - so i had to re-pair the phone, set home destinations etc again. But what ends well is all well.

I had also received the Philips 55W H7 130% bulbs from amazon.in yesterday - the link discussed earlier in this thread.

Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-img_3849.jpg

I had taken these bulbs with me and my SA + RM helped me to fix them. Unfortunately I could not take pictures of old light vs new light but here are few observations -
  • It's not average Joe's cup of tea to replace the projector lamp bulbs on both sides.
  • The left side is easy, right side either needs the coolant tank to be temporarily moved out of way or a kid's hand and adult's brain to work on.
  • The high beam ones are even more difficult on left side while right is breeze. The left side needs battery to be loosened to fit this bulb.
  • If you can access the bulb assembly from behind after removing rubber cap, rest is cakewalk.

The throw of newer bulbs appeared to be of same spread but of longer distance. When I had setup the light leveller device at 0, I could see farther than before. But then no other differences over the old one.

Unfortunately I could not take the pictures yesterday as it was raining and i did not also setup my dash cam. I will take pictures soon of the new bulbs and post.

Until next update, ciao!
abirnale is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 14:21   #167
BHPian

re: Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km

Really a great write up sir.
I have been following your ownership thread regularly. Just love the way cheetah looks in new avatar. Colour also suits the vehicle a lot.
How would you rate the sunroof of the vehicle? Does it feel premium in terms of quality and functionality?
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 15:06   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Really a great write up sir.
How would you rate the sunroof of the vehicle? Does it feel premium in terms of quality and functionality?
Thanks @Aakarsh.

The sunroof of the vehicle has been holding up pretty well. We are very happy with it so far. No issues in operation. It's very easy to operate. To open and close a simple touch of a button is sufficient. You don't have to keep holding the buttons to close completely or worry abut if it closed without leaving any gaps etc. Its really that easy. My kids have been loving this very much. On the private roads when we go, they get up and stand peeking out of the roof. My little one stands on the centre arm rest and tries to peek out. He once sat on the roof when it was parked leaving his legs hanging below. And it did not cause any issues like weight problem or bend etc. I can safely conclude that it's very sturdy and perfectly operational.

In Bangalore the weather is almost always pleasant. I leave from home around 8.30am when the sun is not hot. I keep the glass closed but the internal layer open. Late night when I return home from work - say around 10pm, I keep the windows rolled down as well as sun roof fully open. I love it.

I have parked the car many times in the sun for entire day - that has not caused any issues with rubber beading around sunroof. I only once cleaned the sunroof by letting it open fully and using a dry towel to clean the dust. There wasn't much though but otherwise using sunroof without any maintenance.

The size of the sunroof is just perfect but wish it could have been little more wider/ bigger across the vehicle length. Another 6 inches would have been great but that would hamper your roof top luggage space if at all you want to use.

The only sad part about sunroof is - it has eaten the conversation mirror space from W8 and older versions. I feel there should be a way to fit it by making some smart arrangements. It helps a lot for someone like me when you drive with kids on second row.

Last edited by abirnale : 25th September 2015 at 15:31.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 15:26   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks @Aakarsh.

The sunroof of the vehicle has been holding up pretty well. We are very happy with it so far. No issues in operation. It's very easy to operate. To open and close a simple touch of a button is sufficient. You don't have to keep holding the buttons to close completely or worry abut if it closed without leaving any gaps etc. Its really that easy. My kids have been loving this very much. On the private roads when we go, they get up and stand peeking out of the roof. My little one stands on the centre arm rest and tries to peek out. He once sat on the roof when it was parked leaving his legs hanging below. And it did not cause any issues like weight problem or bend etc. I can safely conclude that it's very sturdy and perfectly operational.

In Bangalore the weather is almost always pleasant. I leave from home around 8.30am when the sun is not hot. I keep the glass closed but the internal layer open. Late night when I return home from work - say around 10pm, I keep the windows rolled down as well as sun roof fully open. I love it.

I have parked the car many times in the sun for entire day - that has not caused any issues with rubber beading around sunroof. I only once cleaned the sunroof by letting it open fully and using a dry towel to clean the dust. There wasn't much though but otherwise using sunroof without any maintenance.

The size of the sunroof is just perfect but wish it could have been little more wider/ bigger across the vehicle length. Another 6 inches would have been great but that would hamper your roof top luggage space if at all you want to use.

The only sad part about sunroof is - it has eaten the conversation mirror space from W8 and older versions. I feel there should be a way tofu it by making some smart arrangements. It helps a lot for someone like me when you drive with kids on second row.
Thanks for the words abirnale.
It seems you and your little ones are enjoying the new steed to the fullest i wish you very happy and safe miles ahead. And yes I can understand why you are missing the conversation mirror. It is absolutely of great utility in a vehicle of this size. Try to find some way in which you could affix one. It'll be of great use.

Regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 18:55   #170
BHPian

Hi Avinash,
Chanced upon your thread today and loved reading it, finished the entire 12 pages in one sitting. My compliments on your writing skill.
I am aghast as to the scratches on your cheetah, only a petrolhead err a dieselhead can understand the pain.

I saw a few posts earlier about the 1 hour pop up in ICE, either I missed something or there is some misinformation here. I have experienced this thing first hand In my new age W8, it is a safety feature which is built in to prevent excessive drain of the battery, if the ICE is operated in acc mode or if the engine is not running then the ICE switches off automatically after 1 hour. I had switched on the USB input and was listening to music when after about an hour the system Switched off I didn't notice if any alerts were given before shut down because I was outside the vehicle. You can try it out in your W10 by pressing the start stop button once without pressing the clutch and start your music after about an hour it should switch off automatically. I feel this feature is coded onto the ECU and should not be affected by the model/variant. My apologies if this reply has already been discussed or is in variation.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 20:00   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I saw a few posts earlier about the 1 hour pop up in ICE, either I missed something or there is some misinformation here.
Thanks @RajeVenu.

That one hour mode is only applicable to W8 and below versions. W10 does not have anything like this. Its all ON (music, lights, AC blower, etc.) or None. Period.

Pressing Start/ stop button without clutch sets everything on including headlights etc - thats equivalent of ON position and there is eventually no ACC position in W10. Pressing Start/ Stop with clutch pressed, will start the engine! That is it.

What we are trying to figure out here is - like in regular Key'ed systems, you have three positions - ACC, ON/IGN and Engine Start after IGN. In W10, because this is a push button system, you can either push it without clutch or with clutch. nothing else is possibility.

If the M&M folks reading this, they would think of something like - double push on start/stop button with around a second delay should put the system in ACC mode. Or they could be little more creative

Hope this helps.
Old 25th September 2015, 20:27   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks @RajeVenu.

That one hour mode is only applicable to W8 and below versions. W10 does not have anything like this. Its all ON (music, lights, AC blower, etc.) or None. Period.

Pressing Start/ stop button without clutch sets everything on including headlights etc - thats equivalent of ON position and there is eventually no ACC position in W10. Pressing Start/ Stop with clutch pressed, will start the engine! That is it.

What we are trying to figure out here is - like in regular Key'ed systems, you have three positions - ACC, ON/IGN and Engine Start after IGN. In W10, because this is a push button system, you can either push it without clutch or with clutch. nothing else is possibility.
I meant that if you push the start button once without pressing the clutch and keep playing music then the ICE should switch off after one hour. I can't confirm this as I don't have a W10 but it is an intelligent guess.
Old 25th September 2015, 23:06   #173
Senior - BHPian

@RajeVenu - its a big risk. If you press the start button without clutch, it switches on everything including music, lights, ac blower etc. You think keeping all these things for an hour wont drain the battery considerably?

Moreover when M&M SA and RM have confirmed that it does drain battery if the above situation arises, I wouldn't do this test myself. It can be tested if we have the provision to jump start car if needed or while in the garage itself.
Old 27th September 2015, 10:42   #174
BHPian

Hi Avinash, firstly, due sympathies for this dastardly act on your beautiful XUV. I hope whoever has done gets a few deep gashes on his body as well that don't heal.

For your repainting, I can suggest a guy in Domlur called Panju. His workshop is on the road leading from New Shanti Sagar. He is very good with such work and will do it at a nominal cost. I had got my Civic bumper repainted and he did a fab job. I have recommended him to others as well. His number is 9845161044.
Sam Panch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 08:54   #175
BHPian

Very sad to see the scratches Avinash...

Good you got new device for navigation. However, I'm not discouraging you but want to keep everyone updated with the reality - Mahindra R & D needs more time to fix GPS related issues. Blank out, weak signal error, simple red circle error, etc are the issues I'm facing frequently and they're debugging the root cause.

Your SW versions are the latest available with the service team, same as mine and still many problems exist.
sathya_nars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 10:37   #176
Senior - BHPian

Avinash, any update on the bulbs with images? At least a night shot with these bulbs would help me to finalize on the bulbs I was planning to get them yesterday, but thought of waiting for your review before I do.
Old 28th September 2015, 22:42   #177
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @Sam_Panch. I would visit Sai Colorium - they are competitive as well as known folks so price is guaranteed to be compelling and they are close to my home too.

Sure @sathya_nars. But I have not seen any problems so far. No blank outs or Crashes or the GPS fix issues earlier as well as with new software. navigation is pretty accurate.

Sunay, apologies for the delayed response. Here are two pictures i took with new bulbs. The low beam are new bulbs and second one is high beam with stock bulbs.

Low beam -
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-imageuploadedbyteambhp1443460246.426419.jpg

High beam -
Ownership tales of Orange Cheetah, my 2015 Mahindra XUV5OO W10 FWD. EDIT: Sold after 150,000 km-imageuploadedbyteambhp1443460270.350299.jpg

The biker in picture was moving. You can only see the tail light.

Since the original bulb picture was not taken, i don't have that to compare. But with high beam and low beam comparison you would get alight idea of the light throw I hope.

Based on my observation, the distance is slightly more than I used to see in original stock bulbs. Light spread is pretty much same. I intend to replace the high beam too with new bulbs that I have already ordered on USA amazon site.

Last edited by abirnale : 28th September 2015 at 22:46.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 06:13   #178
BHPian

@Abirnale, Hey I missed so many updates on your thread, just caught up. First, Pictures from your Goa trip are amazing. We are taking "Bageera" to Goa on 21 Oct for a 3 day trip. Will PM you for pointers on places to visit etc.

2. That scratch on the door....I was aghast seeing it. I too experienced such vandalism in my earlier car. Some jealous neighbor broke the Chrome grill on my Ford Ikon when its just 3 days old. I have to replace the entire grill, never knew those Chrome parts were actually made of plastic

3. I am following your lead on the Phillip extreme vision bulbs, will be in US for the first half of Oct. Would it be advisable to pick them up in US and carry them with me?

Cheers!
vaspro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 07:17   #179
BHPian

Avinash,

Are those photos of low beam and high beam with fog lamp on?

BTW, I still have the stock bulbs on my cheetah, we can do a comparison of stock vs Phillips xtremevision bulbs.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 09:11   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
We are taking "Bageera" to Goa on 21 Oct for a 3 day trip. Will PM you for pointers on places to visit etc.
Of course Srini. Seems like you frequent USA. I will be able to give you few pointers if need be. Feel free to reach me if I can be of any help. On Oct 15th afternoon, we head to Kolhapur and thereafter to Pune/ Nashik/ Mumbai. I am sure by the time I return to Bangalore, second service will be due. That is the time I will fix those scratches.

There is one more scratch this morning on the bonnet, albeit minor. Luckily the alarm went off and I rushed to car. By the time I reached there, no one was around. Upon close inspection I found few very minor scratches on bonnet. Not sure if that was the reason to trigger alarm or something else. But clearly, I have someone in apartment premises who is not happy with me or my vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
I am following your lead on the Phillip extreme vision bulbs, will be in US for the first half of Oct. Would it be advisable to pick them up in US and carry them with me?
Yes, thats a perfect thing to do. If you see the pictures i posted above, it seems to be improved vision but if it's worth the money is debatable. Regardless, I went for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Are those photos of low beam and high beam with fog lamp on?
No. I never switch on fog lamps unless on highway or ghats during day time or real fog condition. I just eave the setting to Auto Headlights all the time.

Yes, good idea - we can do the comparison. We stay close by too. have to figure out the mutually convenient time and do this shoot out.

Most Viewed